Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

35 man roster

Started by bleedred, December 17, 2012, 10:22:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bleedred

Asking because I really know nothing about this. When do we know the 35 man roster?

bleedred

When do we know what 5 are reshirting?

bsking

Quote from: bleedred on December 17, 2012, 10:31:12 pm
When do we know what 5 are reshirting?

Not sure we will until the season.  You can make educated guesses though.  Tatum, Alberius, Meyer, Booth and Baxendale would be my guess.  Maybe even a couple more if we stay healthy.

Sueie

Would Cade Lynch be eligible for a red shirt year?

HawgsAreUsCWS

Players on scholarship are automatically on the 35 man, regardless of injury. So Baxendale will be on it even after season ending surgery. Therefore, the only players that might get redshirted and not be on the 35 man are non-scholarship players.

Sueie

Quote from: HawgsAreUsCWS on December 20, 2012, 03:04:23 pm
Players on scholarship are automatically on the 35 man, regardless of injury. So Baxendale will be on it even after season ending surgery. Therefore, the only players that might get redshirted and not be on the 35 man are non-scholarship players.

Then I guess Cade Lynch will be on the roster.

catcher15

Red shirts are included on the 35 man roster. If you are not on the roster you can not even work out with the team or use team facalities.

Sueie

Quote from: catcher15 on December 31, 2012, 11:22:40 am
Red shirts are included on the 35 man roster. If you are not on the roster you can not even work out with the team or use team facalities.

No their not.  Last year the red shirts were not on the 35 man roster.  Eric Fisher for just one of them.

futurehogdad

Quote from: Sueie on December 31, 2012, 05:32:19 pm
No their not.  Last year the red shirts were not on the 35 man roster.  Eric Fisher for just one of them.

If a player is on Athletic $ and he is not included on the roster then you can't have but 34 players on roster, i.e. for every person on Athletic Aid not able to play you have to deduct 1 roster spot.

bsking

Quote from: futurehogdad on December 31, 2012, 06:47:33 pm
If a player is on Athletic $ and he is not included on the roster then you can't have but 34 players on roster, i.e. for every person on Athletic Aid not able to play you have to deduct 1 roster spot.

With this logic then Spoon or Rameriz (among others) would have had to walk on.

You sure?

Sueie

Quote from: bsking on January 01, 2013, 12:29:28 pm
With this logic then Spoon or Rameriz (among others) would have had to walk on.

You sure?

Ramirez was on the roster last year.
Spoon may have been on academic aid.  Not sure though.

catcher15

The 35 man roster includes red shirts. The roster on the web site is not an official roster. The one turned in to NCAA before the first contest only has 35 names. If you are on scholarship and cannot play ie medical you will still be listed on the roster. If you are not going to play so as to gain a fifth year of elegibility you are listed on the roster. If you are not on the roster you are not on the team and can't participate in any countable activity ie games, practice, or weight training.

bsking

Quote from: catcher15 on January 03, 2013, 04:24:04 pm
The 35 man roster includes red shirts. The roster on the web site is not an official roster. The one turned in to NCAA before the first contest only has 35 names. If you are on scholarship and cannot play ie medical you will still be listed on the roster. If you are not going to play so as to gain a fifth year of elegibility you are listed on the roster. If you are not on the roster you are not on the team and can't participate in any countable activity ie games, practice, or weight training.

Explain then how we had 31 players accumulate stats last year and we have 5 (Fisher, Rameriz, Spoon, Heldman, Simpson) players that red shirted.

Sueie

So can you change the roster as the season goes along. Or is the roster that you turn in for the FIRST game of the season "THE ROSTER" that you are stuck with for the year? 

futurehogdad

Quote from: Sueie on January 03, 2013, 07:16:11 pm
So can you change the roster as the season goes along. Or is the roster that you turn in for the FIRST game of the season "THE ROSTER" that you are stuck with for the year? 

Once the "Official" roster is submitted to NCAA, which it has to be before 1st game, then it CAN NOT be changed.

Hawgs 1

The 35 man roster is turned in the day of your first game. It can not change once submitted. The 27 scholarship palyers are automatically on the 35 man roster no matter what.

Examples: 2012 - Jacob Rice, 2010 Eric Shanahan....scholarship players who transferred at semester....who remained on the 35 man roster per NCAA rules.

In 2013 we are already down 2 spots on the 35 man roster....Myer and Baxendale...both scholarship players who are injured....Lynch could be another....we could have only 32  players in 2013

In referrence to the 5 redshirts from last year listed above....Heldman and Fisher were NOT on the 35 man roster.....Ramirez, Spoon and Simpson were scholarship players so they were on the 35 man roster.....but did not play...hence "redshirted"

Take your 31 players who had stats then add the 3 redshirts who were on the 35 man roster (Ramirez, Spoon + Simpson) and then add Jacob Rice......equals = 35

Guys like Heldman, Gibson ect. per NCAA rules were "cut" in 2012

Sueie

WHY would they not put the OFFICIAL roster on the website?  It is not like they have anything to hide.  Most of the fans know who the players are that will be on the "Roster" so why not put it on the website as the OFFICIAL roster? 

Hawgs 1

They include these players in the media guide also....final roster decisions are made right up to the deadline....which of the non-scholarship they keep is often dictated by pre-season injury and need....players are told what to expect coming out of Fall exit meetings with DVH but that could change if someone is injured before the season starts and causes a particular need....

Some guys like Oliver, Heldman and Barnett...who are not on scholarship could be in trouble this year because of our pitching depth....the 8 walkon spots will most likely go to position players like Morris, Vinson, Fisher and impact pitchers like Fant, Beeks

futurehogdad

The NCAA changed this in Fall 2007 Spring 2008 when the 35 man roster was implemented. Up until then you could be on team "official roster" and dress out during home games.  They would sometimes carry the "redshirts" players to away games if they chartered travel.

futurehogdad

I would like to know a few names that are not coming back. This is really late to not have a few names rumored to not be returning or transferring.

Sueie

Quote from: Hawgs 1 on January 03, 2013, 08:10:36 pm
They include these players in the media guide also....final roster decisions are made right up to the deadline....which of the non-scholarship they keep is often dictated by pre-season injury and need....players are told what to expect coming out of Fall exit meetings with DVH but that could change if someone is injured before the season starts and causes a particular need....

Some guys like Oliver, Heldman and Barnett...who are not on scholarship could be in trouble this year because of our pitching depth....the 8 walkon spots will most likely go to position players like Morris, Vinson, Fisher and impact pitchers like Fant, Beeks

TRUST ME!!!!  Your 2nd part in red is DEFINITELY INCORRECT

GeauxOmaHogs

Agree Sueie, its so far off he is in a different Area Code...

Quote from: Sueie on January 03, 2013, 08:30:53 pm

futurehogdad

Quote from: Sueie on January 03, 2013, 08:30:53 pm

Then spill the beans.

GeauxOmaHogs

Sueie

Quote from: futurehogdad on January 03, 2013, 08:45:34 pm
Then spill the beans.

I do not want to "spill any beans" and make a mess for someone to have to clean up.  Let's just see how it all plays out.  I am just telling him that he is incorrect.

Sueie

Quote from: futurehogdad on January 03, 2013, 08:20:48 pm
I would like to know a few names that are not coming back. This is really late to not have a few names rumored to not be returning or transferring.

Kameron Walker for one.  A few will red shirt but not sure if any are transferring.  We only had about 42 on the fall roster.  Unlike last year when we had nearly 55.  ;D

futurehogdad

Quote from: Sueie on January 03, 2013, 08:54:35 pm
I do not want to "spill any beans" and make a mess for someone to have to clean up.  Let's just see how it all plays out.  I am just telling him that he is incorrect.

That's fine, but I'm still interested in who is not coming back.

Porked Tongue

Sounds like we have a parent or two of a current player in this thread.

Sueie

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 03, 2013, 09:01:45 pm

Or a couple of fans that know.  8)

Kevin

The Effect of New Scholarship Rules in Division I Baseball
With the NCAA Division I baseball scholarship changes coming into full effect during the 2009-10 academic year, walk-ons will take on more important roles on baseball rosters.
Each Division I institution will be limited to 27 counters (athletes receiving an athletic scholarship) among their roster limit of 35 players, with the other 8 spots being occupied by walk-ons who will receive no athletic scholarship.
Division I rosters of no more than 35 players must be established the day prior to the first contest in February.  Coaches can have more than 35 players during the Fall and January practice periods, but must be at no more than 35 before the start of the season.
Walk-ons who are on teams that have more than 35 players participating in fall practice sessions must be aware that they are at increased risk of being cut from the team.   Once a player is cut from the team, he will not be able to use the athletic facilities to work out and will have no practice opportunities with the team.
A student-athlete who is receiving an athletic scholarship must be included in the counter limit of 27, and the total roster size of 35, even if they are injured and unable to play. So a walk-on who has been performing well during practice sessions must be aware that they may be cut from the team to make room for an injured player receiving a scholarship because the injured player must be counted among the 27 and 35.
Juniors at Division I programs who choose to return to school for their senior year may be asked to return as a walk-on as their scholarship was probably already "given away" in the recruitment of an incoming freshman.  This has already been the case for a number of years, but may become more common as the opportunity for coaches to give 5% or 10% scholarships to late signees is only available in rare situations.
Some baseball programs have established their own set of "rules" for distributing scholarships.  Some let recruits know up front that their scholarship will decline each year after their freshman year, while others may inform the players after their enrollment that there will not be a baseball scholarship for their senior year if they return.
Players and parents should be asking about the effect of the new financial aid rules on their baseball scholarship so they will know well in advance.
For those who are walk-ons, especially at programs that have more than 35 players participating in Fall drills, it will be extremely important to assess your chances of making the 35-man roster that will be in effect for the season.
For those who choose to transfer, it is quite possible that a fresh start at an NCAA Division II or NAIA program may result in increased opportunities for financial aid, for playing time, and for a better opportunity to be drafted due to the increased playing time.
For more information from the parent of a college baseball player who is also an expert with over 20 years experience in NCAA rules regarding recruiting, eligibility, financial aid, and transfer issues, go to www.informedathlete.com and register for our free newsletter, or contact Rick Allen at 913-766-1235 or rick@informedathlete.com.
Topics: Athletic Scholarships & Financial Aid, Baseball Roster Size, Financial Aid Rules, Informed Athlete, NCAA Division I Baseball, scholarships, walk-on student-athletes
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

GeauxOmaHogs

There are injuries, so i don't think we will lose anyone, IMHO...

Quote from: futurehogdad on January 03, 2013, 08:59:22 pm
That's fine, but I'm still interested in who is not coming back.

GeauxOmaHogs

That would be awesome!  Can i pick which one?   Wait until after the draft, ; )

Or, just have more money than sin and get to speak with the coaches, regularly....

Ha!

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 03, 2013, 09:01:45 pm

futurehogdad

Quote from: Sueie on January 03, 2013, 08:59:04 pm
Kameron Walker for one.  A few will red shirt but not sure if any are transferring.  We only had about 42 on the fall roster.  Unlike last year when we had nearly 55.  ;D

I didn't think Walker was here in the fall.

Sueie

Quote from: futurehogdad on January 04, 2013, 11:01:32 am

I didn't think Walker was here in the fall.

He was for a while.  If you are asking which ones in the fall will be leaving.  I think a few will redshirt to get to the 35 man roster limit.  But I do not think any will LEAVE.

We lost enough off of last years 35 man roster that only a few should have to red shirt this year. 

Just off the top of my head:
Baxendale
Bleeker
Carver
Bates
Reynolds
Sanburg
Reeves
Bigham
Bosco
Masters

and possibly Lynch

So that is at least 10 that we have a spot for this year.

Tai_Mai_Shu

Quote from: Sueie on January 04, 2013, 11:41:10 am
He was for a while.  If you are asking which ones in the fall will be leaving.  I think a few will redshirt to get to the 35 man roster limit.  But I do not think any will LEAVE.

We lost enough off of last years 35 man roster that only a few should have to red shirt this year. 

Just off the top of my head:
Baxendale
Bleeker
Carver
Bates
Reynolds
Sanburg
Reeves
Bigham
Bosco
Masters

and possibly Lynch

So that is at least 10 that we have a spot for this year.

We also lost Conor Costello that is another slot open.

Sueie

You are right.  I forgot about Costello. 

Hawgs 1

Sueie is related to Oliver....no doubt !

Sueie

Close but no cigar.

I am just saying he will be on the roster along with the other 3 that you were commenting about.  ;D

But I forgot "someone" in the know told you that those 3 were NOT on scholarship.

Get another "source".  ;D

Hawgs 1

Heldman is a confirmed walkon....ask him he will tell you.

Barnett chose the Hogs after GA Tech told him late in the summer not to come....The Hogs scholarship $ was spoken for that late in the Summer

Oliver has been confirmed as an academic guy just like Fisher

Sueie

Quote from: Hawgs 1 on January 06, 2013, 11:19:40 am

Barnett chose the Hogs after GA Tech told him late in the summer not to come....The Hogs scholarship $ was spoken for that late in the Summer

Ok.  ;D

futurehogdad

Quote from: Kevin on January 03, 2013, 09:18:01 pm
The Effect of New Scholarship Rules in Division I Baseball
With the NCAA Division I baseball scholarship changes coming into full effect during the 2009-10 academic year, walk-ons will take on more important roles on baseball rosters.
Each Division I institution will be limited to 27 counters (athletes receiving an athletic scholarship) among their roster limit of 35 players, with the other 8 spots being occupied by walk-ons who will receive no athletic scholarship.
Division I rosters of no more than 35 players must be established the day prior to the first contest in February.  Coaches can have more than 35 players during the Fall and January practice periods, but must be at no more than 35 before the start of the season.
Walk-ons who are on teams that have more than 35 players participating in fall practice sessions must be aware that they are at increased risk of being cut from the team.   Once a player is cut from the team, he will not be able to use the athletic facilities to work out and will have no practice opportunities with the team.
A student-athlete who is receiving an athletic scholarship must be included in the counter limit of 27, and the total roster size of 35, even if they are injured and unable to play. So a walk-on who has been performing well during practice sessions must be aware that they may be cut from the team to make room for an injured player receiving a scholarship because the injured player must be counted among the 27 and 35.
Juniors at Division I programs who choose to return to school for their senior year may be asked to return as a walk-on as their scholarship was probably already "given away" in the recruitment of an incoming freshman.  This has already been the case for a number of years, but may become more common as the opportunity for coaches to give 5% or 10% scholarships to late signees is only available in rare situations.
Some baseball programs have established their own set of "rules" for distributing scholarships.  Some let recruits know up front that their scholarship will decline each year after their freshman year, while others may inform the players after their enrollment that there will not be a baseball scholarship for their senior year if they return.
Players and parents should be asking about the effect of the new financial aid rules on their baseball scholarship so they will know well in advance.
For those who are walk-ons, especially at programs that have more than 35 players participating in Fall drills, it will be extremely important to assess your chances of making the 35-man roster that will be in effect for the season.
For those who choose to transfer, it is quite possible that a fresh start at an NCAA Division II or NAIA program may result in increased opportunities for financial aid, for playing time, and for a better opportunity to be drafted due to the increased playing time.
For more information from the parent of a college baseball player who is also an expert with over 20 years experience in NCAA rules regarding recruiting, eligibility, financial aid, and transfer issues, go to www.informedathlete.com and register for our free newsletter, or contact Rick Allen at 913-766-1235 or rick@informedathlete.com.
Topics: Athletic Scholarships & Financial Aid, Baseball Roster Size, Financial Aid Rules, Informed Athlete, NCAA Division I Baseball, scholarships, walk-on student-athletes

Kevin , do you know how it works with regard to the 27 on aid.  There are pitchers on 3/4 to full aid, I believe if you get aid you have to have minimum aid of 1/3 money?  Am I correct in that?  How do they account for walkons then, do they then have more walkons.

Kevin

The least amount a scholarship is 25% off the tuition
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin

The total number of players on roster that can use the baseball facilities after the start of the season is 35. Hurt or redshirt count toward the 35

GeauxOmaHogs

Thats not correct.  They asked him to give up part of his scholarship for two returning Seniors...  His family said ok IF they could reconsider other offers.  Hogs had another offer...   You can't pull freshman scholarship after LOI signed.

Quote from: Hawgs 1 on January 06, 2013, 11:19:40 am

GeauxOmaHogs

January 08, 2013, 12:52:48 am #45 Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:26:52 am by GeauxOmaHogs
Mathematically, a coach would be putting his program at a disadvantage to give out full aid in baseball as of 2009, unless the kid was a freak of nature.  In those cases, he is going pro and you wasted scholarship money unless you replace him with a late signee...  Not impossible, but not a genius move for a program (not a single season)...

If you have 27 on scholarship and a limit of 11.7 scholarships, in total;  you would be hard pressed to get quality program at 25% for all and full for 3...  That means you got the 3 studs(for hopefully 4 years) and the rest is a prayer that you get The others you want.  Too much "chance" in that strategy and not very smart.  Can't build a program in the SEC using that strategy.  You may have one good class, but the next three would be mediocre at best.

In state kids in Arkansas is easier.  Since most or half of the players are out of state, you have to compete with his in-state school dollars, which means (on average) out of state players take more money to lure.  Baseball  coaches have to have the hardest job, running the business side, than any other sport, bar none...

Quote from: futurehogdad on January 06, 2013, 03:12:25 pm
Kevin , do you know how it works with regard to the 27 on aid.  There are pitchers on 3/4 to full aid, I believe if you get aid you have to have minimum aid of 1/3 money?  Am I correct in that?  How do they account for walkons then, do they then have more walkons.

Kevin

January 08, 2013, 07:54:58 am #46 Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:09:23 pm by Kevin
in state kids, can still get lottery money, pell grants, and with good grades can get close to a full scholarship.

that is why the lottery was big for the baseball program

GeauxOmaHogs

Very good point...

Quote from: Kevin on January 08, 2013, 07:54:58 am
in state kids, can still get lottery money, pell grants, and with good grade can get close to a full scholarship.

that is why the lottery was big for the baseball program