Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone familiar with 45-70?

Started by pigture perfect, December 07, 2012, 10:04:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

My dad just gave me a 45-70, that he got from a relative. I shot one several years ago and thought it was just more of a novelty gun. Now that I own one, I wonder what to do with it. I will use it as a brush gun and home defense, but does anyone else know much about them?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Albert Einswine

It makes big holes, which is nice...
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

A Black Powder Buffalo round that made the move from BP to Smokeless.   Good for Big game like Bear and such.   It is a hammer with Buffalo Bore ammo.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pigture perfect

The shells I have for it are 405 grain projectiles. That is alot of lead.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

kodiakisland

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 07, 2012, 10:04:49 am
My dad just gave me a 45-70, that he got from a relative. I shot one several years ago and thought it was just more of a novelty gun. Now that I own one, I wonder what to do with it. I will use it as a brush gun and home defense, but does anyone else know much about them?

More info please.  What type of gun?

The 45/70 is a great round for some purposes.  I can't think of much better for short range hog/bear hunting.  Not bad for deer under 100 yards if you really want a big hole going in and coming out.  Reloading will get a lot more performance out of it, but it won't be much fun to shoot.

As far as home defense, it should put holes in a home quite nicely.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

pigture perfect

It's a Marlin lever action model 1895g. It's only about 36 inche's long.

RazorWild

In MS its what most hunters use during primitive gun season.  A lot of gun shops quit carrying BP accessories because most hunters pack a 45-70.  Packs a punch.

pigture perfect

I don't think this gun would qualify as a primitive weapon.

kodiakisland

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 07, 2012, 03:25:07 pm
It's a Marlin lever action model 1895g. It's only about 36 inche's long.

Guide guns are great guns.  The early ones were all ported, later you could get them either way.  Mine is an early ported one.  It's nice when shooting hotter loads but is pretty loud.  I have a XS ghost ring on mine.  Skinner makes some good sights as well.  The guide guns are well made and accurate.   
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

RazorWild

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 07, 2012, 04:08:45 pm
I don't think this gun would qualify as a primitive weapon.

No, I don't think it is either.  Just sayin, over here you can use it during primitive gun season; I guess because it's a single shot.  I don't consider the new TC or CVA Muzzleloaders primitive either, but we can use them.  If it were up to me, you would only be able to use ole smoke poles for primitive gun.

tophawg19

like shooting bowling balls but anything you hit is dead and if it does run you will have a blood trail you can follow blind
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

deshahawg

You can use it in mississippi during muzzleloader season. Other than that you can breech castle walls with a cannon like that.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 07, 2012, 02:28:38 pm

As far as home defense, it should put holes in a home quite nicely.

That's for sure......& knock down a few trees,  after it goes thru the house....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

We had a guy shoot some home invaders with one and he timed it right and it killed all three punks as they busted through the front door with a single round of 405 grain rounds from Black Hills. My LEO buddy said they found them stacked like cord wood in the doorway. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

pigture perfect

Thats what I'm talkin about Delta Boy. Home defense of the highest order, or body pile.

pigture perfect

Just test fired her today. Not bad at all. About like a 30-30 for recoil. I was surprised. It did shoot 1 1/2 in. low and 2 in. wide at 25 yds. I really didn't want to put a scope on it because I want a true brush gun. Any suggestions?

deshahawg

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 11, 2012, 05:29:15 pm
Just test fired her today. Not bad at all. About like a 30-30 for recoil. I was surprised. It did shoot 1 1/2 in. low and 2 in. wide at 25 yds. I really didn't want to put a scope on it because I want a true brush gun. Any suggestions?

I'd suggest shooting 1 1/2 in. high and 2 in. to the left when I shoot at anything.

pigture perfect

With the sights I have I can fix the elevation, but don't know what to do about the windage.

kodiakisland

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 12, 2012, 06:48:17 am
With the sights I have I can fix the elevation, but don't know what to do about the windage.

The rear sight moves left or right where it is dovetailed into the barrel.  Front sight as well but you don't usually adjust it unless the rifle is really off.  Use something that won't gouge the metal, like a hard plastic punch and small hammer and push the rear sight in the direction the bullet needs to go.  Just use something that won't mess up the metal.  It should move fairly easy with light taps.

rickm1976

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 07, 2012, 05:55:01 pm
Guide guns are great guns.  The early ones were all ported, later you could get them either way.  Mine is an early ported one.  It's nice when shooting hotter loads but is pretty loud.  I have a XS ghost ring on mine.  Skinner makes some good sights as well.  The guide guns are well made and accurate.   

I put those Skinner sights on my 336.  They are simple and awesome.

pigture perfect

I will try those taps on the rear sights kodiak. I think I see what you're talking about.

kodiakisland

Quote from: rickm1976 on December 13, 2012, 01:06:57 pm
I put those Skinner sights on my 336.  They are simple and awesome.

Skinner makes a sight that uses a bronze peep that was made for the older marlins with the gold trigger.  Makes about the best looking marlin I've ever seen.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: deshahawg on December 11, 2012, 06:53:19 pm
I'd suggest shooting 1 1/2 in. high and 2 in. to the left when I shoot at anything.

LOL.  That at 25 yards.  Beyond that adjust accordingly.
Retired Radio Host

CallThemHawgs!

I have a Marlin .45/70

They are great guns, and the .45/70 is an excellent round. It is perfectly capable of killing any animal in the world when loaded correctly. Yes, even Rhino, elephant, and cape buffalo.

A .45/70 loaded with 530 grain solids will blow clean through a Rhino.

Fun, fun gun

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 10, 2012, 12:38:54 pm
We had a guy shoot some home invaders with one and he timed it right and it killed all three punks as they busted through the front door with a single round of 405 grain rounds from Black Hills. My LEO buddy said they found them stacked like cord wood in the doorway. 

Hahaha, yup.

If you are going to use a .45/70 for home defense, make sure you know what is behind what you are shooting at. Because that slug is not stopping when it hits the target. You will probably find it lodged in the far side of your neighbors engine block.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on December 14, 2012, 02:35:25 am
I have a Marlin .45/70

They are great guns, and the .45/70 is an excellent round. It is perfectly capable of killing any animal in the world when loaded correctly. Yes, even Rhino, elephant, and cape buffalo.

A .45/70 loaded with 530 grain solids will blow clean through a Rhino.

Fun, fun gun
Dang man.  I read that and had to do a double take.  I didn't realize they made a 530 g load for 45-70.  Only one I found is Garrett but geez.  That's nuts.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on December 14, 2012, 08:16:44 am
Dang man.  I read that and had to do a double take.  I didn't realize they made a 530 g load for 45-70.  Only one I found is Garrett but geez.  That's nuts.

The only 530g+ loads I know of are made by small shops and individuals selling online, but I think a few retailers have something close.

Buffalo Bore makes a 500g solid that will hit about 2,600 fps out of a marlin lever gun and penetrate through 6 feet of bone, muscle, and tissue. Lot of people dont realize what the .45/70 can do, they just think its an "old western gun" hahaha

pigture perfect

The more I research, the better I like this gun. The biggest problem is finding affordable ammo. I'm not set up for reloading yet.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 14, 2012, 11:08:00 am
The more I research, the better I like this gun. The biggest problem is finding affordable ammo. I'm not set up for reloading yet.

Depends on what you are wanting to shoot.

Cheapest rounds to kill anything around here are the Hornady Lever Revolution 325gr. You can pick them up at Cabelas for about $26 a box. But I shoot 400gr Remingtons, they are $31 a box.

The Hornady is an ok round, but it has a soft polymer tip to help the bullet expand and they had to cut down the case to get it to fit. So they are worthless to reload.

rickm1976

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 13, 2012, 06:18:44 pm
Skinner makes a sight that uses a bronze peep that was made for the older marlins with the gold trigger.  Makes about the best looking marlin I've ever seen.

I've seen that one.  When Dr. Skinner sold out, I was a little worried, but the new owner has really expanded their product line.

kodiakisland

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on December 14, 2012, 01:30:05 pm
Depends on what you are wanting to shoot.

Cheapest rounds to kill anything around here are the Hornady Lever Revolution 325gr. You can pick them up at Cabelas for about $26 a box. But I shoot 400gr Remingtons, they are $31 a box.

The Hornady is an ok round, but it has a soft polymer tip to help the bullet expand and they had to cut down the case to get it to fit. So they are worthless to reload.

Not worthless if you want to reload the Hornady FTX bullets in a lever action.  The 350gr Speer hotcor is made for the .458WM and has the cannelure too low for use in a lever action unless you cut the cases back.  The shorter hornady cases might work as is or need slight trimming to use that bullet.

pigture perfect

Thanks, I have a box of the Hornady Lever Revelution and some Remington brass. Do you have any good recipes you'ld recommend

DeltaBoy

Just get the latest Load book and have some fun.  It is the Sledgehammer of Lever action Rifles.

pigture perfect

I know now about the sledgehammer part. Shot a doe Saturday evening with it. Hole going in was the size of my pinkie and the hole coming out was saucer sized. Completely removed it's heart and lungs.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 17, 2012, 11:35:31 am
I know now about the sledgehammer part. Shot a doe Saturday evening with it. Hole going in was the size of my pinkie and the hole coming out was saucer sized. Completely removed it's heart and lungs.

FRESH MEAT!  Save me some.
Retired Radio Host

kodiakisland

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 17, 2012, 09:34:40 am
Thanks, I have a box of the Hornady Lever Revelution and some Remington brass. Do you have any good recipes you'ld recommend

Most reloading manuals have different loads for older trapdoor type rifles, modern lever actions, and some have even hotter loads for ruger No. 1s and No. 3s.  Leveractions aren't the best design for heavy kicking rounds.  Some are down right brutal to shoot full power loads through.  I prefer using the data on the starting loads for lever actions and not the full power leveraction loads in my guide gun.  This still gives more performance than factory rounds, but is still reasonably fun to shoot.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 17, 2012, 09:11:47 pm
Most reloading manuals have different loads for older trapdoor type rifles, modern lever actions, and some have even hotter loads for ruger No. 1s and No. 3s.  Leveractions aren't the best design for heavy kicking rounds.  Some are down right brutal to shoot full power loads through.  I prefer using the data on the starting loads for lever actions and not the full power leveraction loads in my guide gun.  This still gives more performance than factory rounds, but is still reasonably fun to shoot.

Right on. Most factory .45/70 loads are way underpowered which is why a lot of people switched over to the .450 Marlin. You can reload a relatively low powder round, on the cheap, and still come out ahead of most off the shelf rounds.

If you are using your own bullets or buying some specialty rounds pick up the Lymans cast bullet handbook, its full of great info and recipes.

DeltaBoy

Shoot just buy Bufflo Bore rounds they kick hard enough for any thing in North America.

kodiakisland

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 18, 2012, 12:53:44 pm
Shoot just buy Bufflo Bore rounds they kick hard enough for any thing in North America.

Or load 100 for the price of 20 Buffalo Bore.  Good stuff but expensive.

DeltaBoy

That it is very expensive but it works.

pigture perfect

I new buddy of mine just hooked me up with about 200 lead and copper molded bullets. He made them out of old tire weights. Some are 500 gr. gas checked. Another is 385 gr. gchecked. And some 300, but they are not gas checked. Any suggestions for reloading these?

kodiakisland

The Lyman manual has some of the best load data for cast bullets.  Basically you'll use the same powders you would for jacketed bullets.  I like IMR3031 and H4198 but have started using more Benchmark in my 45/70 recently.  You may have a problem with the length of the 500gr bullets in a lever action.  Some of them have too long of a nose to cycle correctly.  Also remember you want flat nose bullets in a tube magazine and not anything too pointed.  Many of the 45 caliber molds were for shooting single shot rifles and may be dangerous loaded with more than one in the magazine.  You can still use them if the length is OK, just have one in the chamber and one in the magazine.

pigture perfect

Who would have guessed that I could find ammo for 45-70 easier than for my .22.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 04, 2013, 04:00:33 pm

Definitely strange times.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

DeltaBoy

It is a great round and be fun for all sorts of things.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 04, 2013, 04:00:33 pm

Cabelas has had more .45-70 than almost anything else since all this started.

Funny thing is, they want to ban the "high powered" .223 assault rifle.

"Nothing to see here sir, just an old hunting rifle.... that can punch through your engine block...."

DeltaBoy

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on June 06, 2013, 10:38:02 pm
Cabelas has had more .45-70 than almost anything else since all this started.

Funny thing is, they want to ban the "high powered" .223 assault rifle.

"Nothing to see here sir, just an old hunting rifle.... that can punch through your engine block...."

YEP'