Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John L. Smith out as Head Coach

Started by Rooka, November 24, 2012, 10:16:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

jbcarol

Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum
Now that John L. Smith is out, will the IRS repossess those sunglasses he wore yesterday?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Qbackinman

OK try for a second time.

Long;s statement made it sound like there was an option for Long to keep him, like a season-end review was needed. Heck, this should have been obvious to anyone with eyes over the lat three months that he wouldn't be retained. (And get rid of his staff too, Long!)

Even if there was a possibility for him to stay, that should have been out the window after kicking a field goal when the Hogs were down a TD with 4th and inches to go at the goal line in the fourth quarter. That was just stupid to not go for the TD there. Any coach should have been fired at that point for a program that EXPECTS to win.

I would have gladly joined with the other villagers with pitchforks and Hoghats to march on the Broyles complex if John L. had stayed for some reason.

Mike Irwin

I think most of the coaches will clear out their offices and be gone by next week. John L and couple of others will stick around until the next coach comes in just to supervise the players. Make sure they're getting ready for finals.

If the coach is coming from a bowl bound team (almost certain he will be) then he will likely leave most of his staff behind to coach the team. That coach will get up to speed on Arkansas' recruiting. He may even use Tim Horton the way Petrino did to go around and meet the recruits.

I'm guessing he would have some contact with John L. for player evaluations but I wouldn't expect more than just a brief meeting between the two.

I suspect that we won't see much of John L. after a couple of weeks from now.

It would not shock me to see Horton & Allen retained in some capacity by the new coach or by Long. Probably off the field jobs.

jfred59

Quote from: RazorWorld on November 24, 2012, 01:09:21 pm
"SEC commentators just announced JLS to be retained in consulting capacity!!!WTH"

He will now be the professor of bad PR and buffoonery.

Going to be the Finiancial consultant for the Razorback Foundation

Danny J

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 24, 2012, 02:29:30 pm
I think most of the coaches will clear out their offices and be gone by next week. John L and couple of others will stick around until the next coach comes in just to supervise the players. Make sure they're getting ready for finals.

If the coach is coming from a bowl bound team (almost certain he will be) then he will likely leave most of his staff behind to coach the team. That coach will get up to speed on Arkansas' recruiting. He may even use Tim Horton the way Petrino did to go around and meet the recruits.

I'm guessing he would have some contact with John L. for player evaluations but I wouldn't expect more than just a brief meeting between the two.

I suspect that we won't see much of John L. after a couple of weeks from now.

It would not shock me to see Horton & Allen retained in some capacity by the new coach or by Long. Probably off the field jobs.
All this ^^^^ makes perfect sense.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Fan1958 on November 24, 2012, 01:16:42 pm
Every time I read something from this guy all I can think about are his calls to DTS with a voice that sounded like his cods were in a vise.

His message board posts are as bad as his talk radio calls.

That's why you keep listening and reading. carry on.

188fw_FyngRzrbk

Hey JLS:  Those dimming lights you saw in the distance were your career.  Hit the road.  Perhaps you can find a dismal high school somewhere that is looking for an assistant boob on the cheap, if not, Chuck Cheese is always hiring.
Be professional, be courteous, be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

HogWall Jackson

He should have received a 5 year extension and a Raise just like the man that hired him!

Pig In The City

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 24, 2012, 12:52:59 pm
Nobody(not even me) saw 4 and 8, coming. with wins over nobody and getting destroyed by almost every decent team(not Lsu) we played.it's pitiful. instead of being held to account. the PTB at UA, have given this man an extension and a raise.that should tell you these people don't care about having a top 10/ Big time winning program.

I guess we will see how things play out with the new coach, but I for one have taken a deep sigh of relief for the first time since April. 

counsellorhog

Pig In The City

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

99toLife

Quote from: Lanny on November 24, 2012, 04:42:27 pm
Worse hire ever

I have to disagree, I think Jessica was the worst hire... ;)

99toLife

Fan1958

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 24, 2012, 04:02:26 pm
That's why you keep listening and reading. carry on.

Wrong.  I normally skip your posts.  Just finally had a gut full.

Haven't heard you lately on DTS but if I ever do again I will do just like I do when Gentle Ben or Michael from Stuttgart call in and that's hang my head out the window while driving down Highway 70 at night, in July, thru the Cache River bottoms, and let the bugs smack me in the face and the wind blow around my ears so I don't have to listen to the drivel you clowns spew.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

Mike Irwin

Quote from: FilipinaRazorback on November 24, 2012, 05:10:56 pm
Let's do this again.  Do you think that Horton will assist with recruiting?  Credibility is at stake here.   Wala?
What I think is when a new coach comes in he needs somebody familiar with current recruits to assist him in the short term. Sometimes that person will be retained by the new coach.

Will that be Horton? I couldn't say but it wouldn't be a shock.

Not sure what this has to do with credibility.

It has a lot to do with personal observation. This isn't the first time Arkansas has hired a new coach. Certain patterns tend to be repeated.

Poop Hoggy Hogg

our head football coach was fired, and it took a whole day for this thread to get to two pages? this is huge news. this thread should be at 50 pages by now.

Fan1958

Quote from: Poop Hoggy Hogg on November 25, 2012, 02:24:43 pm
our head football coach was fired, and it took a whole day for this thread to get to two pages? this is huge news. this thread should be at 50 pages by now.

No, he was NOT fired.  His 10 month contract was not renewed.  There is a huge difference.

He was reassigned until the end of the 10 month period and will be paid until that time.  After that there is no agreement between the parties for his services to continue to be provided to the U of A.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".