• 26,852 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:FootballBasketball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON!Ugly Uncle Show
 Two Cents Radio 
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another 2013 BBall Prospect to Watch  (Read 1510 times)

RazorAg

• Hogvillian
Another 2013 BBall Prospect to Watch
« on: November 17, 2012, 10:57:07 pm »

'm starting to focus on Juco players that might be a fit for us in the 2013 class, and a kid that I really like is Elgin Cook.  6'6 190 Wing that is extremely agressive, tough, athletic and is scoring it a very good clip for Steve Forbes and Northwest Florida State.  We were associated with Cook several months ago, but only one quick mention.  We recruited his PG, Chris Jones, who signed with Louisville.

Here's an interesting tidbit about Cook.  He's the son of Alvin Robertson.  Originally from Milwaukee, he was shot at his senior year in high school and moved to Texas to live with Alvin.  Has landed at NWF with Coach Forbes, who is a great coach, and who has a great relationship with our staff.

Keep your eye on this guy.  Here's a YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMkNVYP4-fg) of him back in 2011.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
Re: Another 2013 BBall Prospect to Watch
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 11:51:28 am »

Are these just names you are throwing out, or do you know of us actively recruiting him?

He looks like a great fit for us. Good ball handling and finishing skills. His jump shot doesn't look great, but it's something he may have worked on.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

RazorAg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 01:22:49 pm »

Are these just names you are throwing out, or do you know of us actively recruiting him?

He looks like a great fit for us. Good ball handling and finishing skills. His jump shot doesn't look great, but it's something he may have worked on.

As I said in the post, we have been linked to him. If you're asking about Mostella, too, I was just throwing his name out there as someone we should look at.

yraciv

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:24:45 pm »

Man Alvin Robertson has some good bloodlines.  Tyrell Johnson, who played at Arkansas State, and briefly in the NFL, was his son in Arkansas.  Don't know much about this guy, but he looks like he'd be a good fit.  We could always use and athletic wing, and if he plays D anything like Pops, sign him up.

Looks like his stats through the first 5 games are 19.6 MPG, 17.2 PPG, 62 FG%, 6 RPG, 1.4 APG, 3 TPG, 2 SPG, 1.8 BPG.  So he does it all, except shoot the three.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 01:28:36 pm by yraciv »

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 01:37:47 pm »

As I said in the post, we have been linked to him. If you're asking about Mostella, too, I was just throwing his name out there as someone we should look at.

K just wondering.

I'm worried about replacing BJ next year. Unless Bell really improves from year 1 to 2, we are going to miss BJ in 2013.

Swinesong1

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 02:42:16 pm »

Looks like Mostella may be Okie St bound.

RazorAg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 09:15:38 pm »

Looks like Mostella may be Okie St bound.

Yep.  Came here to post that if someone else hadn't already gotten to it.

Swinesong1

• Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 02:02:37 pm »

'm starting to focus on Juco players that might be a fit for us in the 2013 class, and a kid that I really like is Elgin Cook.  6'6 190 Wing that is extremely agressive, tough, athletic and is scoring it a very good clip for Steve Forbes and Northwest Florida State.  We were associated with Cook several months ago, but only one quick mention.  We recruited his PG, Chris Jones, who signed with Louisville.

Here's an interesting tidbit about Cook.  He's the son of Alvin Robertson.  Originally from Milwaukee, he was shot at his senior year in high school and moved to Texas to live with Alvin.  Has landed at NWF with Coach Forbes, who is a great coach, and who has a great relationship with our staff.

Keep your eye on this guy.  Here's a YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMkNVYP4-fg) of him back in 2011.
Another interesting tidbit is he would be a three year player rahter than the normal two year juco player.  On pace to graduate as a freshman.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 07:10:13 am »

Richard Davenport just wrote an article on Cook.....

tick hog

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 08:23:02 am »

How many guys can we sign?

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 08:51:41 am »

How many guys can we sign?

1. Wade
2. Scott
3. Clarke
4. Madden
5. Mickelson
6. Qualls
7. Williams
8. Bell
9. Wagner
10. Portis
11. Kingsley
12. Powell
13. Young

So to sign Cook, we would obviously need another player to leave, like Powell or Young.

Swinesong1

• Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 12:02:02 pm »

1. Wade
2. Scott
3. Clarke
4. Madden
5. Mickelson
6. Qualls
7. Williams
8. Bell
9. Wagner
10. Portis
11. Kingsley
12. Powell
13. Young

So to sign Cook, we would obviously need another player to leave, like Powell or Young.
As it stands now, one player has to leave.  You left off Harris, so if another player is signed, two players would have to leave.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 01:34:06 pm »

As it stands now, one player has to leave.  You left off Harris, so if another player is signed, two players would have to leave.

I knew I was forgetting someone. Yeah your right, two would have to leave to add Cook. The most likely would be Young and Powell (overseas if not NBA).

choppedporkextrasauce

• Senior
  • Hog's future is Bright.
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 01:37:07 pm »

if the kid is athletic as his dad I would think he could be really fun to watch if we get him.

Alvin along with Darrell Walker was one of the greatest guard tandems in Arkansas Basketball history. They were brilliant under Sutton, would have fit in with Nolan's teams as well. Alvin was one of those players who was tough as nails. His attitude on the court allowed us to compete at the highest level.

whosiskid

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Try to become the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 10:26:38 pm »

Love his first name (Baylor is one of my five or six all time favorite players).

choppedporkextrasauce, big time agreement about Walker and Robertson. If Walker had had a jump shot he would have been a perennial all pro. As it is, he was a worse shooter than Ronnie Brewer. As an Arkansan living in Chicago, I was both a Razorback and Bulls fan. But as much as I loved Michael (I watched just about every game of his that was televised during times I didn't have to work for his entire Chicago career - always with a sense of shock at how astonishing he was), I was always incredibly proud when he would say that Alvin Robertson was one of only two guards who gave him problems on the court, the other being Joe Dumars. Sadly, Alvin just seems to have a ton of problems off the court. But man, he was quick. I remember he used to tape his wrists so the refs could see his hands better. He found that he was called for fewer fouls when they could grasp just how quick he was. Isn't he still only one of two players to have had a quadruple double? I think he did it: points, assists, steals, rebounds. Nate Thurmond did it points, assists, rebounds, blocks. I don't know if anyone has done it since Alvin.

But I'm guessing we won't have a slot for him, though possibly both BJ and Powell leave. But with Moses and Portis coming next year, can you imagine how good this team would be with those two and Harris joining up? Especially with this year's freshmen so much better than I think most of us had hoped.

BeoPig™

• Director Hog Intelligence Agency (HIA)
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • MSgt Jimmy D. Smith Electronic Intelligence
    • My Facebook
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »

I think it is pretty much a sure thing that Young will move on and might take Powell with him
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Partnered with USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.