Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spoke to NFL Scout About Tyler Wilson

Started by Squealers, November 12, 2012, 06:23:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Squealers

November 12, 2012, 06:23:06 pm Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:27:36 pm by Squealers
On my flight today from Dallas to Nashville in first class I sat next to an NFL scout for one of the top 5 NFL teams (I don't want to mention the team out of respect for the information he shared with me.  However, just to level set it was not the Cowboys.)

We spoke about the role of a scout and all that's involved in their pre draft research, selection process and criteria and the draft day scenario.  It really is a fascinating and incredibly complex process.  I was struck by his knowledge of players and programs.  He was a former college coach and has worked with 2 NFL teams as a primary scout. 

We spoke about Arkansas.  He stated he made 2 pre season visits to Fayetteville scouting and felt we had the offensive weapons to make an impact but had concerns about our defensive situation.  He is going to the Miss St/ Hogs game to scout.

I was curious on his position on Tyler especially in light of this season so far and the poor performance of the Hogs.  I also spoke to Tyler's decision to return versus staying another year and how that will impact him in the draft. 

I need to digress and speak to the topic of character.  This guy said the first thing he evaluates on prospective pro's are character issues.  He said his organization is focused on good talent/good character.  He referenced 2 teams who ignore character when drafting and choose best talent/poor character players because they don't value the character factor (Cincinatti & Tampa Bay).
He stated his organization has been extremely successful avoiding best talent/bad character players. 

I was bemoaning the fact that Tyler was severly slipping draft potential due to this seasons performance over his draft opportunity last year.... when he stopped me in my sentence and said "In our opinion, Tyler has not dropped one bit".   I was somewhat surprised.  He went on to state that situations such as Tyler's leadership, attitude, focus and especially his handling of missing the Alabama game due to the concussion has impressed them to a great degree.  He stated that component coupled with Tyler's football talent equals a high interest factor for them. 

We went on to discuss other players as well as some former Hog players he scouted (Mallett/Jones)
And how they were positioned on their draft boards (The Cleveland Browns really wanted Matt Jones)

So a little insight on the interworkings of a very successful NFL scout and program. 

I know the Tyler family and have already called to relay this information.  Hopefully this team or another top program grabs Tyler and allows him to blossom in their system. 
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

NWASooner

QuoteOn my flight today from Dallas to Nashville in first class

Humble brag.....

Squealers

Quote from: NWASooner on November 12, 2012, 06:27:03 pm
Humble brag.....

The only way I roll my friend 😀
Besides you wouldn't run into this guy sitting in coach. 
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

PositronHog

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Interesting. I'd love the hear the full-length unedited version of this. In other words, I wish I'd been in the seat behind you.

dacskc

They weren't concerned at all that his play this year wasn't as good as last year? Did they just sense that was an overall team problem rather than a "Tyler Problem?"

Also, I guess we won't be blinsided with any character issues this time. He didn't say anything negative, right? Did you ask what he was told about Mallett's issues? I'm still interested to know if those "issues" were the same rumors that were floating around here last year, or if it was just the public intox thing and the fact that some people said he was arrogant.

Squealers

Quote from: HogFanBryan on November 12, 2012, 06:37:31 pm
Did he say anything about Knile Davis?

We talked about his injury history and I got the feeling he wasn't real focused on Knile at the moment. 

Melorock089

Pats drafted Mallet, and however they do it, they crack down on their players. If they can get Albert Haynesworth and Chad Johnson motivated, professional, and business-oriented, they can damn near get anyone like that.

d1nonlyhogfan

I knew it wasn't the Cowboys when you said one of the top 5 teams, lol. And I'm a Cowboys fan, for the record.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

dizzy_lavender

Quote from: Squealers on November 12, 2012, 06:23:06 pm
On my flight today from Dallas to Nashville in first class I sat next to an NFL scout for one of the top 5 NFL teams (I don't want to mention the team out of respect for the information he shared with me.  However, just to level set it was not the Cowboys.)

We spoke about the role of a scout and all that's involved in their pre draft research, selection process and criteria and the draft day scenario.  It really is a fascinating and incredibly complex process.  I was struck by his knowledge of players and programs.  He was a former college coach and has worked with 2 NFL teams as a primary scout. 

We spoke about Arkansas.  He stated he made 2 pre season visits to Fayetteville scouting and felt we had the offensive weapons to make an impact but had concerns about our defensive situation.  He is going to the Miss St/ Hogs game to scout.

I was curious on his position on Tyler especially in light of this season so far and the poor performance of the Hogs.  I also spoke to Tyler's decision to return versus staying another year and how that will impact him in the draft. 

I need to digress and speak to the topic of character.  This guy said the first thing he evaluates on prospective pro's are character issues.  He said his organization is focused on good talent/good character.  He referenced 2 teams who ignore character when drafting and choose best talent/poor character players because they don't value the character factor (Cincinatti & Tampa Bay).
He stated his organization has been extremely successful avoiding best talent/bad character players. 

I was bemoaning the fact that Tyler was severly slipping draft potential due to this seasons performance over his draft opportunity last year.... when he stopped me in my sentence and said "In our opinion, Tyler has not dropped one bit".   I was somewhat surprised.  He went on to state that situations such as Tyler's leadership, attitude, focus and especially his handling of missing the Alabama game due to the concussion has impressed them to a great degree.  He stated that component coupled with Tyler's football talent equals a high interest factor for them. 

We went on to discuss other players as well as some former Hog players he scouted (Mallett/Jones)
And how they were positioned on their draft boards (The Cleveland Browns really wanted Matt Jones)

So a little insight on the interworkings of a very successful NFL scout and program. 

I know the Tyler family and have already called to relay this information.  Hopefully this team or another top program grabs Tyler and allows him to blossom in their system.

Common knowledge .

Hog Waller

I appreciate you sharing that with us.  Good read.

Grunt

Quote from: NWASooner on November 12, 2012, 06:27:03 pm
Humble brag.....
No kiddin', because of a seating problem, i got bumped to 1st class once. Reached my destination only a few feet ahead of coach.

Good read, op.

Squealers

Quote from: dacskc on November 12, 2012, 06:39:54 pm
They weren't concerned at all that his play this year wasn't as good as last year? Did they just sense that was an overall team problem rather than a "Tyler Problem?"

Also, I guess we won't be blinsided with any character issues this time. He didn't say anything negative, right? Did you ask what he was told about Mallett's issues? I'm still interested to know if those "issues" were the same rumors that were floating around here last year, or if it was just the public intox thing and the fact that some people said he was arrogant.

My take is that they are looking at Tyler's college career collectively and not just focusing on solely this season.  Also he mentioned comprehensive issues outside of Tylers control having an impact.   He had nothing negative to say at about Tyler.  Highly positive. 

I asked about the Mallet cloud.  As I was confused that we were hearing that without any local intel to corroborate that in the media.  I said either the media was wrong or my intel was  weak.  He said it was a little of both.  Stated there were things silenced by Fayetteville.  He wouldn't go into any other details. 

He said Matt Jones was the most gifted athlete for his size he's ever seen in 25 years doing this. 

Ramtough

TW took a chance on coming back and got burned. He doesn't seem to see the field as well this year. Checks down when he should go deep and vise versa. Throws into double coverage alot and that will kill him in the pros. He needed another year under BP.

Hammibal Lecter

Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.

Squealers

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Ramtough on November 12, 2012, 06:54:58 pm
TW took a chance on coming back and got burned. He doesn't seem to see the field as well this year. Checks down when he should go deep and vise versa. Throws into double coverage alot and that will kill him in the pros. He needed another year under BP.

Cool.  We have a scout here.  Can you say what team you work for?

Squealers

Quote from: Melorock089 on November 12, 2012, 06:44:30 pm
Pats drafted Mallet, and however they do it, they crack down on their players. If they can get Albert Haynesworth and Chad Johnson motivated, professional, and business-oriented, they can damn near get anyone like that.

Correct.  He said there are NFL teams who take these risks without regard.  They just happen not to be one of them.  It can be done....they choose not to do business that way. 

Squealers

Quote from: Grunt on November 12, 2012, 06:50:09 pm
No kiddin', because of a seating problem, i got bumped to 1st class once. Reached my destination only a few feet ahead of coach.

Good read, op.
Yep.  I fly 200k miles a year.  I have 10 trips planned between now and Christmas including one to Puerto Rico and Dublin Ireland.  For me first class is my office. 

PositronHog

Quote from: Squealers on November 12, 2012, 06:51:16 pm

He said Matt Jones was the most gifted athlete for his size he's ever seen in 25 years doing this. 

What a waste... So sad :(

RazorWorld

Sounds like he gave you good PR to post here.

ronmahony

Good post and I believe every word f it. A blind person would have to know the kind of crap Tyler is having to deal with this year. I would imagine he is about as anxious as we are to see this season over. I hpe this guys team get's him, they seem pretty classy to me.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

BigSexyHog

Very interesting.  I would have like to heard more myself.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

31to6

Quote from: Squealers on November 12, 2012, 07:04:40 pm
Yep.  I fly 200k miles a year.  I have 10 trips planned between now and Christmas including one to Puerto Rico and Dublin Ireland.  For me first class is my office. 
When you travel extensively, the perks are not perks, they are necessities.

My wife doesn't get it :)

"No, I do NOT want to order from room service!"

ChicoHog

That's a lot of flying.  do you mind asking what you do for a living?

ronmahony

"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Squealers

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 12, 2012, 08:31:50 pm
That's a lot of flying.  do you mind asking what you do for a living?

I own a consulting firm. 

Squealers

Quote from: ronmahony on November 12, 2012, 08:32:34 pm
Did he say any thing about Dennis?

No.  We moved from Tyler to the coaching search.   

woodrow hog call

You should have pointed him to this board, we a lot of posters that know much more than him, just ask them if you don't believe me.

Kidding of course, that is about exactly what I thought the scouting report on Tyler would be. Look at Cam Newton, first pick, face of the franchise sitting on the bench pouting with a towel over his head?? Are you kidding me? I would be sick if that was who I had chose to be face of the program.

Tyler Wilson is a class young man that is probably as mature as a second year NFL QB because of the year he has had to endure.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

LutherLindsey

Great read.  Thanks for the post.  Stuff like this is what makes Hogville the NUMBER 1 site for all the Razorback news. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Grunt

Enviable job! Use a lap top?

Ugly Uncle

I had posted on here in some thread about how I had talked to Ram's scouts.  They said that Tyler was 3 times better than Romo.  LOL.  It was on a Monday night game at the Kilt that I talked to them.

They asked me if Tyler was really as good of a person as everyone says that he is, I assured them he was.  They said the same thing your guy said, that his draft stock hasn't dropped one bit.  His toughness and leadership during this season has been very impressive.  They said they weren't going to be drafting a qb high, but that Buffalo probably was and that the Bills really wanted Tyler.

They told me that all of the scouts are watching him and they have not talked to any scouts (apparently they all talk to each other) that didn't want Tyler on their team.  It depends on needs and position of draft pics.

They also told me that Knile would be stupid to come out now, and as you mentioned, they didn't really seem interested in talking about Knile.  They were very interested in talking about Bailey and Swanson, though that was a couple of weeks ago, so that might have changed.  They can't talk to the players or coaches about underclassmen but they were interested in talking about them since I was local media.

They said they really like Cobi, but were concerned about his quickness off of the line.

Anyway, I thought I would back up what you were saying about what they said about Tyler because that is almost exactly what the St. Louis guys were telling me.
Retired Radio Host

Pigstie

First class is the only way to go...  it's THAT big of a difference and worth every penny.  Did he have any coach search insight?
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 12, 2012, 09:07:22 pm
I had posted on here in some thread about how I had talked to Ram's scouts.  They said that Tyler was 3 times better than Romo.  LOL.  It was on a Monday night game at the Kilt that I talked to them.

They asked me if Tyler was really as good of a person as everyone says that he is, I assured them he was.  They said the same thing your guy said, that his draft stock hasn't dropped one bit.  His toughness and leadership during this season has been very impressive.  They said they weren't going to be drafting a qb high, but that Buffalo probably was and that the Bills really wanted Tyler.

They told me that all of the scouts are watching him and they have not talked to any scouts (apparently they all talk to each other) that didn't want Tyler on their team.  It depends on needs and position of draft pics.

They also told me that Knile would be stupid to come out now, and as you mentioned, they didn't really seem interested in talking about Knile.  They were very interested in talking about Bailey and Swanson, though that was a couple of weeks ago, so that might have changed.  They can't talk to the players or coaches about underclassmen but they were interested in talking about them since I was local media.

They said they really like Cobi, but were concerned about his quickness off of the line.

Anyway, I thought I would back up what you were saying about what they said about Tyler because that is almost exactly what the St. Louis guys were telling me.

Next time you talk to some scouts, ask them about Dennis Johnson.

Pigstie

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 12, 2012, 09:07:22 pm

By the looks of it tonight... KC could use him right now.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

hoginator

Quote from: Ramtough on November 12, 2012, 06:54:58 pm
He needed another year under BP.
I'm guessing he'll get several years under a great NFL coach...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

Stan HAMsen

Quote from: Squealers on November 12, 2012, 06:23:06 pm
On my flight today from Dallas to Nashville in first class I sat next to an NFL scout

Thanks for sharing.  I'm a total mark for stories like this.

Ugly Uncle

November 12, 2012, 09:22:22 pm #40 Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:24:23 pm by Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter
Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 12, 2012, 09:10:22 pm
Next time you talk to some scouts, ask them about Dennis Johnson.

I did.  I told them how great he is and they both told me (one was from the main office in STL the other was a road guy) that they absolutely loved DJ, but that their bosses though he was too short.  They are trying to convince their top guys to go after him in the middle rounds.  The brass think they can get him as an undrafted free agent.  Again, that was a couple of weeks back.  It was the week before Ole Miss, so maybe that has changed.

They also asked about Alonzo Highsmith.  Alonzo Sr. is a friend of theirs and said that someone will pick him up because of how much his dad is liked.  They asked if I thought he could make it in the league.  I told them I had no clue, but that I really liked him.  I get the feeling that they were screwing with me on that question.

They did say that DJ would get drafted or picked up because he is the best return guy to come out of the SEC.  They seemed to think that is all he would be used for.
Retired Radio Host

Pigstie

November 12, 2012, 09:26:49 pm #41 Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:28:51 pm by Pigstie
I don't see DJ as the best return guy in the sec...

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 12, 2012, 09:22:22 pm
I did.  I told them how great he is and they both told me (one was from the main office in STL the other was a road guy) that they absolutely loved DJ, but that their bosses though he was too short.  They are trying to convince their top guys to go after him in the middle rounds.  The brass think they can get him as an undrafted free agent.  Again, that was a couple of weeks back.  It was the week before Ole Miss, so maybe that has changed.

They also asked about Alonzo Highsmith.  Alonzo Sr. is a friend of theirs and said that someone will pick him up because of how much his dad is liked.  They asked if I thought he could make it in the league.  I told them I had no clue, but that I really liked him.  I get the feeling that they were screwing with me on that question.

They did say that DJ would get drafted or picked up because he is the best return guy to come out of the SEC.  They seemed to think that is all he would be used for.

I'm sure Dennis could be used for more than kick returns.

31to6

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 12, 2012, 09:22:22 pm
...their bosses though he was too short. 
Ray Rice & Maurice Jones-Drew say hi.

No, I am not saying his college career has been as good as Ray Rice's. But they are the same body-type and both of the above seem to be doing quite well in spite of their vertical challenge.

Keyser Sooieze

great story--would be interested in hearing the scout's take on our coaching search. 

HawgFan70

Great read thanks for sharing... I am interested if he had any insight in the coaching search?
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

shshark00

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 12, 2012, 09:40:13 pm
I'm sure Dennis could be used for more than kick returns.

DJ has MJD potential written all over him. Some team with a solid, aging RB like the Jags had Fred Taylor, will draft DJ to be a kickoff returner and change of pace back, just like the Jags did with MJD his first year or so. They have similar size and running styles. With the right team and good coaching, DJ could be a solid RB in the NFL.

And even if he is just drafted to return kicks, that's fine. That's working out pretty good for Trinton Holliday this year.

HawgFan70

Quote from: 31to6 on November 12, 2012, 09:42:51 pm

No, I am not saying his college career has been as good as Ray Rice's. But they are the same body-type and both of the above seem to be doing quite well in spite of their vertical challenge.

Good ole Hogville finding the exception to every rule
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

shshark00

Quote from: Pigstie on November 12, 2012, 09:26:49 pm
I don't see DJ as the best return guy in the sec...

I agree. The SEC's all time kickoff return yardage leader isn't enough to make him the best.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: 31to6 on November 12, 2012, 09:42:51 pm

I mentioned MJD and they said that he is 3 inches taller than DJ.  They loved him, but the brass thought he was too short.

By the way they were bemoaning the fact that they had J. Wright on their draft board and they drafted someone else.
Retired Radio Host