Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guess the Giants are just lucky again tonight

Started by tiber, October 24, 2012, 10:57:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Damn dude. Chill. They are playing some dang good baseball. We get it.

bsking

Why doesn't Sandoval hit 3 homers every game?  Probably because he has just been "saving it".  Since this is the case he'll do it again tonight.

Not sure that you really understand what most of us are saying but I'll try to dumb it down for you.

Many things combine to form the outcome of a baseball game.  Luck IS one of them.  That is my thesis.  Disagree if you want.  You can disagree that the sky is blue too for all I care.  They are both equally true.

bsking

Quote from: tiber on October 25, 2012, 11:47:42 am
Bitter

About...what?  The Giants beating the Cardinals?

You do know I was rooting for the Giants in that series right?

dacskc

Tigers may get swept. Smyly struck out Scutaro...a victory of sorts.

tiber

Fister pitched MUCH better than Verlander.  Glad the kid is ok after that hit to the head... that could have been bad.

clutch

The only thing I care about is that Pagan stole a base and that means I get a free doritos loco taco.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

clutch

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 26, 2012, 12:56:44 pm
Hate the Gaints Geaux Tigers.

I've never been a big Giants fan either and I really don't know why. I think it goes back to not liking Bonds all those years. Then again I really don't like the Tigers either. This has to be the first time I've ever really had a WS where I didn't give a crap who wins.

I guess I'd have to say I'm pulling for the Tigers just because Verlander was able to pull Kate Upton and that's badass.

tiber

Plenty of Giants fans are not Bonds fans, myself included.

There are at least three players on the current team who are more popular with the fans than Bonds ever was.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: tiber on October 26, 2012, 02:31:07 pm
Plenty of Giants fans are not Bonds fans, myself included.

There are at least three players on the current team who are more popular with the fans than Bonds ever was.

For someone who can't stand Barry Bonds, there's definitely some schadenfreude in watching the Giants on the verge of their second WS title in 3 years after hardly competing for one during the entirety of the Bonds era.  Think about it -- the guy is with the Giants for 15 years only has one NL pennant to show for it, and they win the World Series three years after he retires (and quite possibly another one two years later).  That's the epitome of Bill Simmons's "Ewing theory."

tiber

Quote from: Hawg Balling on October 26, 2012, 04:17:41 pm
For someone who can't stand Barry Bonds, there's definitely some schadenfreude in watching the Giants on the verge of their second WS title in 3 years after hardly competing for one during the entirety of the Bonds era.  Think about it -- the guy is with the Giants for 15 years only has one NL pennant to show for it, and they win the World Series three years after he retires (and quite possibly another one two years later).  That's the epitome of Bill Simmons's "Ewing theory."

Agreed. 

tiber

Still lucky I guess.

First consecutive shutouts in the WS since 1966.

3-0.

bsking

Quote from: tiber on October 28, 2012, 01:10:20 am
Still lucky I guess.

First consecutive shutouts in the WS since 1966.

3-0.

I'd say it's pretty lucky that they've hit the Tigers on such a slump.  And the fact that several guys are hitting well over their career averages.

tiber

Quote from: bsking on October 28, 2012, 09:23:30 am
I'd say it's pretty lucky that they've hit the Tigers on such a slump.  And the fact that several guys are hitting well over their career averages.

Whatever it is, the Giants just aren't that good.

Right?

Pity that the only banter available in this forum is you. 

bsking

Quote from: tiber on October 28, 2012, 11:23:48 am
Whatever it is, the Giants just aren't that good.

Right?

Pity that the only banter available in this forum is you. 

I wouldn't consider this banter.  You obviously aren't smart enough to understand the majority of the posts on here.  All I see by you is Argumentum ad Logicam.  Use Google.

tiber

Quote from: bsking on October 28, 2012, 11:30:19 am
I wouldn't consider this banter.  You obviously aren't smart enough to understand the majority of the posts on here.  All I see by you is Argumentum ad Logicam.  Use Google.

This is me, right?

Now find a bitter a-hole picture for you, and we'll have pictures of each other.

How cool.

clutch

Perfect storm for the Giants. They were as hot as the absolutely could be and the Tigers were as flat as they could be. I really didn't expect the Tigers to lay such an egg. Looks like that extended layoff killed all their momentum. Seems to happen quite a bit. I think most teams would prefer to go into the WS as the team that had the least amount of down time.

bsking

Quote from: clutch on October 29, 2012, 01:32:39 am
Perfect storm for the Giants. They were as hot as the absolutely could be and the Tigers were as flat as they could be. I really didn't expect the Tigers to lay such an egg. Looks like that extended layoff killed all their momentum. Seems to happen quite a bit. I think most teams would prefer to go into the WS as the team that had the least amount of down time.

Yep. It's definitely been the trend to have the most success when you struggle through series rather than dominating them. Really interesting.

clutch

Quote from: bsking on October 29, 2012, 08:52:46 am
Yep. It's definitely been the trend to have the most success when you struggle through series rather than dominating them. Really interesting.

I was thinking about that the other day before this series even started. They guys on TV  were all saying they thought it favored the Tigers because they had time off. I was thinking, seems to me the team that had the least down time has won more often than not lately. Postseason baseball is definitely all about momentum.

tiber

Just booked the hotel for downtown SF tomorrow night.  Taking the kids to the parade Wednesday morning. 

bsking

Quote from: clutch on October 29, 2012, 01:22:14 pm
I was thinking about that the other day before this series even started. They guys on TV  were all saying they thought it favored the Tigers because they had time off. I was thinking, seems to me the team that had the least down time has won more often than not lately. Postseason baseball is definitely all about momentum.

Did a quick scan and 6 of the last 7 WS Champs have had less time off between the CS and the WS.

I'd love to see an average total playoff games and average days off between the CS and WS breakdown of champions vs WS losers.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: clutch on October 29, 2012, 01:32:39 am

Happened to the Tigers in 06' when they were swept by the Cards. I felt the same thing was possible with the long layover. Even bringing in an affiliate to play against.. Which I thought was a bad idea playing against lesser competition leading up to the world series.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck