Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dan Mullen

Started by Transplanted Hog Fan, October 19, 2012, 08:56:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Transplanted Hog Fan

Is he a realistic option? I am impressed with what he has done at MSU. And I think the Arkansas job would be a better job. But would it be enough of an upgrade to lure him to a team in his own division? One that is likely more depleted of talent that his current team?

According to coacheshotseat.com, he is currently making ~$2.6 million a year (http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm), so if we could offer ~$4 million, that would be a significant upgrade. I honestly think the only way we could get him to switch to a divisional opponent is in fact the money, but I am also not sure how that likely that is though, because I believe if we started talking to him, MSU would like just give him a little more money to stay (especially after the season he is having: 6-0 and #12 in the current BCS).

So I guess what I am saying is that I think this would be a GREAT hire for us, given his credentials and SEC ties, and borderline home run hire (as i think his name will be the hottest in the country after the season he is having), but I am just not sure the Arkansas job would have enough pull to get him to take a job that is slightly above a lateral move and is in the same conference/division in which he is currently coaching.

Tim Harris

Why do people keep saying offer $4 million just to outbid someone else.  The people making that kind of money have earned it.

razorbackinthegrove

I think he is who Long was commenting about when he said, I am trying to figure out the ones that are working their current jobs for a raise.  With that said he would be a geat addition to Arkansas, and in every aspect Arkansas is far from a lateral from Miss St.

hogansas

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 19, 2012, 09:06:13 am
Why do people keep saying offer $4 million just to outbid someone else.  The people making that kind of money have earned it.

Exactly.  It would be irresponsible to offer 4 million to someone who isn't worth 4 million, yet.  I think a coach has to be more than adequate to earn that kind of money.  Mullen is a good coach, and he may very well earn that type of money some day, but I wouldn't give it to him right now.
"You can't trust every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln.

Transplanted Hog Fan

Quote from: hogansas on October 19, 2012, 09:11:03 am
Exactly.  It would be irresponsible to offer 4 million to someone who isn't worth 4 million, yet.  I think a coach has to be more than adequate to earn that kind of money.  Mullen is a good coach, and he may very well earn that type of money some day, but I wouldn't give it to him right now.

How has a coach that is in the SEC And has turned the armpit That is Mississippi State into a team with a legit shot at a ten win season and top ten final ranking not earned it? I think there would only be two or three current college coaches (Patterson, Peterson) that have earned it more, and we aren't likely to get either of them, IMO.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Transplanted Hog Fan on October 19, 2012, 09:19:08 am
How has a coach that is in the SEC And has turned the armpit That is Mississippi State into a team with a legit shot at a ten win season and top ten final ranking not earned it? I think there would only be two or three current college coaches (Patterson, Peterson) that have earned it more, and we aren't likely to get either of them, IMO.

5-7
9-4
7-6
6-0

They still have Alabama, A&M, & LSU on their schedule.  The best team they have played is a 3-3 TN team.

Is Mullen a good coach?  Yes
Is he worth 4 million?  Hell NO

Lanny

No thanks to Uncle Fester
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

ArkansasI

hogansas

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 19, 2012, 09:27:46 am
5-7
9-4
7-6
6-0

They still have Alabama, A&M, & LSU on their schedule.  The best team they have played is a 3-3 TN team.

I approve this message.
"You can't trust every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Lanny on October 19, 2012, 09:29:11 am
No thanks to Uncle Fester

The fact that Mullen has no neck has always freaked me out.

Hawg Balling

October 19, 2012, 10:23:54 am #10 Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 10:27:46 am by Hawg Balling
Quote from: Tim Harris on October 19, 2012, 09:27:46 am
5-7
9-4
7-6
6-0

Agreed.  They're 6-0, but they're an extremely quiet and misleading 6-0.  Granted, he's doing this in Starkville with hardly outstanding resources, but it's about to get real for the Bulldogs.  So far they've played 3 OOC cupcakes and the 3 worst teams in the SEC in Tennessee, Auburn, and Kentucky. 

HiggiePiggy

Looking at the rest of their schedule. I am seeing 2 maybe 3 losses.  He is a good coach.

But like Petrino he has to face Alabama and LSU during a time where both are extreme power houses.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HogWall Jackson

You know he turned the FL job down to stay at Miss. State. Why would he come to Arkansas?

Bigpiggin

He hasn't done anything close to being a 4 million dollar coach. I do think has done a pretty good job so far though.

Tim Harris

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on October 19, 2012, 02:17:27 pm
You know he turned the FL job down to stay at Miss. State. Why would he come to Arkansas?

From what I read he was never even interviewed at FL.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 19, 2012, 02:20:03 pm
From what I read he was never even interviewed at FL.

they put out feelers to him. he told them Not interested. It surprised me when it happened, he was the 1st one that they approached.

Tim Harris

October 19, 2012, 02:30:48 pm #16 Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:27:26 pm by Tim Harris
Quote from: HogWall Jackson on October 19, 2012, 02:28:01 pm
they put out feelers to him. he told them Not interested. It surprised me when it happened, he was the 1st one that they approached.

You must be better connected than all the Florida people I know.  All of them say he wasn't ever on Foleys list.

HawgTide

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 19, 2012, 02:30:48 pm
You must be better connected than all the Flordai people I know.  All of them say he wasn't ever on Foleys list.

regi

Quote from: Transplanted Hog Fan on October 19, 2012, 08:56:33 am
Is he a realistic option? I am impressed with what he has done at MSU. And I think the Arkansas job would be a better job. But would it be enough of an upgrade to lure him to a team in his own division? One that is likely more depleted of talent that his current team?

According to coacheshotseat.com, he is currently making ~$2.6 million a year (http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm), so if we could offer ~$4 million, that would be a significant upgrade. I honestly think the only way we could get him to switch to a divisional opponent is in fact the money, but I am also not sure how that likely that is though, because I believe if we started talking to him, MSU would like just give him a little more money to stay (especially after the season he is having: 6-0 and #12 in the current BCS).

So I guess what I am saying is that I think this would be a GREAT hire for us, given his credentials and SEC ties, and borderline home run hire (as i think his name will be the hottest in the country after the season he is having), but I am just not sure the Arkansas job would have enough pull to get him to take a job that is slightly above a lateral move and is in the same conference/division in which he is currently coaching.
Hogs have more talent than State, now and next season. State has benefitted from a very weak schedule.

Fayettechill14

Money isn't everything folks. "Throw $4 million at him" has little to do with whether or not he'd come.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 19, 2012, 04:32:16 pm
Money isn't everything folks. "Throw $4 million at him" has little to do with whether or not he'd come.

True. His record at Mississippi State has netted him excellent job security, even despite being 0-fer against all non-Ole Miss West teams coming into the season. MSU just wants to be decent and to best Ole Miss consistently, and he's done that. Heck, they kept Jackie Sherill for 13 years and he had a .500 record there.

Transplanted Hog Fan

Quote from: Hawg Balling on October 19, 2012, 06:54:12 pm
True. His record at Mississippi State has netted him excellent job security, even despite being 0-fer against all non-Ole Miss West teams coming into the season. MSU just wants to be decent and to best Ole Miss consistently, and he's done that. Heck, they kept Jackie Sherill for 13 years and he had a .500 record there.

Great point, +1.

I would still be very pleased if we ended up with Mullen. Especially if he finds a way to 10 wins this year. That seems like the equivalent of winning 11+ games at Arkansas to me.

Jean-Luc_Pigard

He has won how many conference games?  :puke:

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Jean-Luc_Pigard on October 19, 2012, 06:59:25 pm
He has won how many conference games?  :puke:

Context, my dear friend, is everything.

To answer your question he's 3-0 this year in conference.

Transplanted Hog Fan

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 19, 2012, 07:02:37 pm

This.

Bigpiggin

The jury is still out until after this stretch he's about to go through.

Jean-Luc_Pigard

Auburn, Kentucky, and Tennessee... A real murderers row :-\  JLS and crew have beat 2 of 3 this year.  Context really is everything.

Transplanted Hog Fan

Quote from: Jean-Luc_Pigard on October 19, 2012, 07:07:53 pm
Auburn, Kentucky, and Tennessee... A real murderers row :-\  JLS and crew have beat 2 of 3 this year.  Context really is everything.

I think you asked about how many SEC games he had won? The context was that he was playing in the SEC every year while having to recruit to Starkville. He was referring to PAST context, not this year. At least not when he made that comment.

Danny J

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 19, 2012, 07:02:37 pm

And those teams I believe are 0-11 so far in the SEC. Their tests are yet to come against bama, LSU and aTm.

Dominicanhog

Dan Mullen is a very good option and will be paid for leaving Misstake U.  He will get a nice 1/2 mill raise and incentives... he knows what opportunity looks like.  If at the end of the season, JL chose Mullen, I'd say he did a god job.  Mullen can win, is young and is getting better with his offense, and he plays strong D most of the time.  Great choice, just not my 1st.

JohnnieWalker

Not a huge Mullen fan, but wouldn't hate it

Chief Mac

I would almost rather have Gus than Mullen and I would rather remove my razorback tattoo and junk punch myself than have Gus as our coach
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

redeye

Quote from: Transplanted Hog Fan on October 19, 2012, 07:09:36 pm
I think you asked about how many SEC games he had won? The context was that he was playing in the SEC every year while having to recruit to Starkville. He was referring to PAST context, not this year. At least not when he made that comment.

And in all honest, if he can get recruits to Starkville, he'll be in a better position then he would at Arkansas, simply because he's closer to the good recruiting locations. I don't think he'd come here. Mullen would be a good coach for Arkansas,  but I agree with Chill when he said that it's not all about money.

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 19, 2012, 02:30:48 pm
You must be better connected than all the Florida people I know.  All of them say he wasn't ever on Foleys list.

I've also heard that he turned them down. Don't know if it's true, but what else would you expect Florida fans to say?

Scubahog

I have several friends that are MS State diehards, they are always concerned that someone will swoop in an snag Mullen, but I am pretty sure that the MS State boosters will see that he gets a pretty good raise in pay this year.