Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keep an eye on Paul Rhoads

Started by 2BitBoar, October 06, 2012, 06:07:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

2BitBoar

Has turned Iowa State around, just beat TCU on the road, former SEC defensive coordinator . . . and biggest factor . . . was at Pitt when Long was there.  Seems like he would be somebody Long would be all over. 

johnny cash

navyhog24

Do yourself and all of us a favor and put down the crack pipe

2BitBoar

Oh I forgot.  Gruden is coming.  Lol. 

The point of my post was that folks should keep an eye on him because he is somebody that is likely on Long's short list, given his performance at Iowa State AND his prior connections to Long.

I guarantee you Long would prefer to have someone who has ties to him and nobody in Arkansas.

Hide and watch.

johnny cash

Quote from: 2BitBoar on October 06, 2012, 06:20:26 pm

The point of my post was that folks should keep an eye on him because he is somebody that is likely on Long's short list, given his performance at Iowa State AND his prior connections to Long.

I guarantee you Long would prefer to have someone who has ties to him and nobody in Arkansas.

Hide and watch.
The only person who will need to hide is long!

CDBHawg

Roadrunner

When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

prairiehogcompanion

Yeah, keep your eye on Paul Rhoads and even send him a postcard now and then to let him know how things are going in Arkansas.

SWarkansasman

Yes sir , not that is name that turns the SEC upside down in our favor,  how about just keeping JLS

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

3BoarsDown

Long like Rhoads but he's likely far down the pecking order.

Tim Harris

He will only be an option if we are told no a few times. I think he is a good coach but people won't get excited about him.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 07, 2012, 12:44:23 pm
He will only be an option if we are told no a few times. I think he is a good coach but people won't get excited about him.

Agreed.

People who can't recognize that Rhodes is a good coach don't know football.

But that doesn't mean he is a good fit for this job.

Tim Harris

The last coach to leave Iowa St for the SEC won something that most of us would give our left nut for.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 07, 2012, 01:22:12 pm
The last coach to leave Iowa St for the SEC won something that most of us would give our left nut for.

Comparing Rhodes to Chizik is a bit ridiculous Tim.  Rhodes appears to be superior to Chizik at least based on results at ISU.  Chizik minus one year has proven to be nothing that Auburn fans are proud of.  They got themselves a Crystal football but doesn't look like they don't have anymore Cams out there to come to their rescue
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Tim Harris

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on October 07, 2012, 01:26:37 pm
Comparing Rhodes to Chizik is a bit ridiculous Tim.  Rhodes appears to be superior to Chizik at least based on results at ISU.  Chizik minus one year has proven to be nothing that Auburn fans are proud of.  They got themselves a Crystal football but doesn't look like they don't have anymore Cams out there to come to their rescue

Exactly. Rhodes is a better coach so I would expect at least 2 crystal balls.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 07, 2012, 01:28:25 pm
Exactly. Rhodes is a better coach so I would expect at least 2 crystal balls.

I hope I am sensing heavy sarcasm
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Tim Harris

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on October 07, 2012, 01:32:42 pm

I hope I am sensing heavy sarcasm

Yes. I do think the guy is a good "2nd tier" option though.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 07, 2012, 12:44:23 pm

And here is a huge part of the dilemma.  People would be gah-gah over the guy on tv pitching wings for Hooters, yet would find Rhoads a lukewarm selection at best.  And the reality between these two choices is this: Rhoads just might be a better hire.  He's certainly more qualified on the college level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKCx_XyN9g4 <-- post-game speech from locker room.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/tag/_/name/paul-rhoads
"TCU wasn't at full strength, but Paul Rhoads didn't take very long to get his first win over a ranked opponent in 2012. He did it on the road in 2009 (Nebraska) and 2010 (Texas); last season, No. 2 Oklahoma State played victim.
Meanwhile, Iowa State went on the road and got yet another victory over a top-15 team under Rhoads. He seems to make a habit of that."

Some fans have the attitude of "Iowa State" .. WTH!?!?   And that will be the end of their investigation into the guy.  Dig a little deeper before poo-pooing this potential candidate. 
http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48392&SPID=4653&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=3636027&Q_SEASON=2012

Unless of course, you need some chicken wings  ;D

RockChalkJayhawk

Remind you of anyone in particular ??   ;D

Danny J

Hide and watch.
I think you are right and he is someone JL is considering.

Danny J

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on October 07, 2012, 10:22:43 am
Long like Rhoads but he's likely far down the pecking order.
I agree....the BOT probably has a much different short list than does long.

Danny J

Hawginthecovers

Boarme

Paul,

He appears to be a  good and upcoming coach.  What shocks me is how much his salary is for this being his first head coaching gig.  With all of his incentives he is significantly over 2 million a year.  I think some of the websites have him making over 3 mil a year.  He may be really good but he is not yet worth the Petrino type money it would take to get him.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Boarme on October 08, 2012, 07:13:06 pm
Paul,

He appears to be a  good and upcoming coach.  What shocks me is how much his salary is for this being his first head coaching gig.  With all of his incentives he is significantly over 2 million a year.  I think some of the websites have him making over 3 mil a year.  He may be really good but he is not yet worth the Petrino type money it would take to get him.

He only makes around 2.  He signed a 10 year contract worth a total of 20 million after last season.

Transplanted Hog Fan

October 09, 2012, 10:57:09 am #26 Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:59:37 am by Transplanted Hog Fan

Hide and watch.

I think Long is most concerned with hiring someone who will get wins. I am not saying that Rhoads isn't an option, but I definitely don't think he is just looking to hire someone he already knows. In fact, I have to think that someone familiar with this region is MORE important to him, as it would aid in recruiting and thus aid in getting wins and helping Long keep his job.

Rhoads may be on the list because of his ties to Long, but if he gets hired, it will definitely be for other reasons.

Boarme

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 09, 2012, 06:45:42 am
He only makes around 2.  He signed a 10 year contract worth a total of 20 million after last season.

The below is from an ESPN article in Feb 2012

Rhoads will earn a base salary of $1.6 million, which increases by $100,000 each year starting in 2013. Rhoads is also due one-time payments of $300,000 in 2015 and 2018.

Rhoads will earn $200,000 for each year the Cyclones win seven or more regular-season games. He'll receive $100,000 for reaching a bowl game and if the Cyclones finish in the Top 25.

Rhoads is due $250,000 if Iowa State wins or shares the Big 12's regular-season title.

Mr. Dickson

His buyout would preclude his being hired. 

Tim Harris

Quote from: Mr. Dickson on October 09, 2012, 12:35:48 pm
His buyout would preclude his being hired. 

A million dollars isn't going to slow us down.  I seriously doubt he will be the next coach here but it won't be because of his buyout.

Mr. Dickson

http://amestrib.com/sections/sports/isu-cyclones/football-isu%E2%80%99s-rhoads-make-16-million-2012.html#small

Tim Harris

Mr. Dickson

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 09, 2012, 12:40:51 pm
The story on ESPN says it is 1 million.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7629793/iowa-state-cyclones-release-details-paul-rhoads-20-million-extension

There are other websites reporting a $1M buyout.  It appears you and ESPN are correct.  Also, the date of the publication I noted was from 2/2/12, and these other publications are toward the end of February 2012. 

Tim Harris

Quote from: Mr. Dickson on October 09, 2012, 12:51:00 pm
There are other websites reporting a $1M buyout.  It appears you and ESPN are correct.  Also, the date of the publication I noted was from 2/2/12, and these other publications are toward the end of February 2012. 

The one you posted says things are still working to be finalized.  My guess is they wanted some crazy buyout and backed down when he said no thanks.  Most anyone with half a brain realizes you will only win so many guys at Iowa St and I doubt he wanted to spend his entire career there.

Mr. Dickson

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 09, 2012, 12:59:40 pm
The one you posted says things are still working to be finalized.  My guess is they wanted some crazy buyout and backed down when he said no thanks.  Most anyone with half a brain realizes you will only win so many guys at Iowa St and I doubt he wanted to spend his entire career there.

I expect you are correct.  It shows how little leverage Iowa State has as a football program.  I also hope that our discussion of Paul Rhoads has been purely academic. 

clew

Pure as the dawn

jgcat4

I ha a guy bring this name up with me the other day and I was like "Paul who?  At where?"  After investigating the guy, I think he will be a solid coach somewhere someday. He should not be on our first page but we are currently doing a whole lot worse.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Hawg Balling

Of the non "big name" candidates out there, Rhoads is a guy I'd put with Strong as two coaches I'm in favor of should we go down that avenue. Plus, he's not opposed to mixing it up in the facial hair department.

Slater

Iowa State is his dream job, native and son of legendary high school coach.
Much like Bill Snyder, perfect coach for a limited resources school that plays great football under his watch
He is a target of lots of Nebraska fans
Do not see him leaving anytime soon
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Slater on October 10, 2012, 09:40:00 pm
Much like Bill Snyder, perfect coach for a limited resources school that plays great football under his watch
this....finally someone with some sense.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: 2BitBoar on October 06, 2012, 06:07:47 pm
Has turned Iowa State around, just beat TCU on the road, former SEC defensive coordinator . . . and biggest factor . . . was at Pitt when Long was there.  Seems like he would be somebody Long would be all over.

Screw him and Jeff Long.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Hawg Balling on October 10, 2012, 08:08:54 pm
Plus, he's not opposed to mixing it up in the facial hair department.

This should be one of a top priorities when looking for our next coach.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 11, 2012, 06:13:12 am
This should be one of a top priorities when looking for our next coach.

Hogville logic -- "Phil Jackson used to mix it up with facial hair, EVER HEARD OF HIM?" :D

Tim Harris

Quote from: Slater on October 10, 2012, 09:40:00 pm

So where have you seen that ISU is his dream job?  I know he grew up about 20 miles from the campus but he went to college at Western Missouri, coached at ISU, Pitt, & Auburn bufore taking their HC job.  I have no clue if he is a true candidate or not but if Long called I bet he listens.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 11, 2012, 09:17:10 am
So where have you seen that ISU is his dream job?  I know he grew up about 20 miles from the campus but he went to college at Western Missouri, coached at ISU, Pitt, & Auburn bufore taking their HC job.  I have no clue if he is a true candidate or not but if Long called I bet he listens.

This.  Iowa State isn't anyone's dream job unless they went to Iowa State. 

latrops

Some would say he did a good job in getting his team to compete with K-State today, and that is fair.  However, the Cyclones complete inability to move the ball at all over their last two possessions, with the game on the line, against a mediocre K-State defense was pretty disappointing.  I like his fire, but I suspect that he is a little too vanilla with the Xs and Os to win at Arkansas. 

Ironhawg

Quote from: latrops on October 13, 2012, 02:47:14 pm
Some would say he did a good job in getting his team to compete with K-State today, and that is fair.  However, the Cyclones complete inability to move the ball at all over their last two possessions, with the game on the line, against a mediocre K-State defense was pretty disappointing.  I like his fire, but I suspect that he is a little too vanilla with the Xs and Os to win at Arkansas. 

His QB hosed him on the last possession.  He had receivers wide open on 3rd and 4th down and threw horrible passes that fell incomplete.  On 3rd down all he had to do was float the pass out to the running back and he was going to run for miles, but he threw the ball five yards over his head.  I don't know where the heck he was trying to go with the ball on 4th down.

latrops

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 13, 2012, 02:51:05 pm
His QB hosed him on the last possession.  He had receivers wide open on 3rd and 4th down and threw horrible passes that fell incomplete.  On 3rd down all he had to do was float the pass out to the running back and he was going to run for miles, but he threw the ball five yards over his head.  I don't know where the heck he was trying to go with the ball on 4th down.

I don't know what the qb was doing on those last two series...but that falls on the head coach, too.  He assembled the talent on the roster.  If his starting qb isn't very good....that's not encouraging to me.  They already benched senior Steele Jantz in favor of sophomore Jared Barnett, who came up short today.

bcdeputy