Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

**UPDATED WITH SPORTS ILLUSTRATED LINK** Dana Holgerson reportedly turns down Arkansas Job

Started by ThrillaHog, October 03, 2012, 06:32:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThrillaHog

REAL LINK FROM SPORTS ILLUSTRATED FOR ALL OF YOU PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE OTHER LINK

http://m.si.com/2012/10/03/arkansas-head-coach-rumors-keep-swirling/d16acff5/

THATS FROM SPORTS ILLUSTRATED

I was listening to the Shawn & Wally show and a few moments ago Wally Hall said that Sports Illustrated was reporting that Dana Holgerson was offered the Arkansas job and turned it down.

I went on Sports Illustrated and this is all I could find. It does state that Arkansas reportedly offered Holgerson but he turned down the Job.

http://razorbackers.com/2012/10/03/head-coaching-rumors-continue-to-swirl-at-arkansas/

These are quotes from the article

QuoteNew rumors spilled out of the Fayetteville area early this week stating West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen has turned down the Arkansas job.

Considering the wording of the statement this rumor seems surprising to find out that Holgorsen was offered the job in mid-season and then turned down the job.

Finding out that Holgorsen is not interested in the Arkansas job is not surprising. West Virginia has a fan base very similar to Razorback Nation, rapid, passionate, and that fan base is in full support of Holgorsen. The Mountaineer faithful like the direction of the football program in their first year in the Big 12 and will fight to keep their coach if necessary.

Knowing Holgorsen's checkered past with alcohol and his lack of defensive minded teams one could seriously question if Long did extend an offer. If Long did extend an offer one can only hope this came with a personal conduct clause along with a list of must hire defensive coordinators.

Perhaps this is why Holgorsen is no longer interested in becoming the next head coach at Arkansas?

Dirty

dynastyhog

Third time is the charm for Jeff.  We just need to get publicly snubbed by one more coach then we'll have our guy.

In all seriousness if Jeff offered Dana the job at this point he nneds to be scrutinized.  If we were going to go after someone currently coaching we would have done it in April.
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

kingofdequeen

Bubba's Bruisers

That means we must have backed off him, because someone better is in the fold.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

deshahawg

Who in their right mind would take this job now? The ship is sinking!

regi

Quote from: deshahawg on October 03, 2012, 06:36:59 pm

Somebody who is looking to make between 3.5 and 5 mil a year to compete in the highest profile division of the highest profile league in America. Everybody doesn't look for the eazy things in life, great people prefer the challenge.

So stop being a chicken little

big john

john goodwin

Rooka

rhog1

There is no way something like this leaks to the press unless somebody is playing a agenda.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

big john

john goodwin

Dirty

GoHogzzGo

If Jeff did offer, good, glad he tried. Like many of us have said Jeff needs to try the homerun hires first.

Most of us already assumed Hologorsen wouldn't come. We aren't a lateral move, but we aren't that much higher, and he just got to WVU.

Probably smoke anyway.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

big john

long likes the guys from the north i dont no any good coach,s from the north .
john goodwin

sickboy

Don't buy it at all. Stuff like that doesn't leak unless there's a reason. The reason is probably Holgerson posturing for a raise or an extension.

IllinoisRazorbackFan

Dwight_K_Shrute

Wally has been peddling Butch for weeks now.  He is either so far up Butch's ass or is a mouthpiece for the UofA or both.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

CallThemHawgs!

Completely doubt this is true, and even if Jeff had discussed the opening with him I doubt an offer was made to turn down. I call BS

IllinoisRazorbackFan

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on October 03, 2012, 06:45:37 pm
If Jeff did offer, good, glad he tried. Like many of us have said Jeff needs to try the homerun hires first.

Most of us already assumed Hologorsen wouldn't come. We aren't a lateral move, but we aren't that much higher, and he just got to WVU.

Probably smoke anyway.
How are we higher?  They've won a multiple BCS bowls; how many have we won?  The amount of homers on this site is sickening.

870hogfan

Quote from: IllinoisRazorbackFan on October 03, 2012, 06:47:33 pm
This doesn't suprise me.  Jeff Long is an idiot.

Um I'm sure Dana is doing this to get a raise...

IllinoisRazorbackFan

Quote from: 870hogfan on October 03, 2012, 06:51:58 pm

Um I'm sure Dana is doing this to get a raise...
Yes obviously, just like Bowden and Grobe - playing Mr. Integrity like a fiddle.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: IllinoisRazorbackFan on October 03, 2012, 06:49:35 pm
How are we higher?  They've won a multiple BCS bowls; how many have we won?  The amount of homers on this site is sickening.
tell me, how many BCS bowl games would WVU make if they had played in the SEC the past 13 or so years ?

ad: if you are truthful, you know the answer is 0
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

nwarazfan

Much different level of competition to get to those BCS bowls.  That is a poor barometer to measure a job comparing a program that was in the Big East and their success to an SEC program.

As far as jobs go, WV is just as good of a job right now.  OU and Texas will outrecruit them but they can get enough from their region especially Penn and Ohio and enough 3 star level players from Florida to be able to compete in the Big 12.  It is all about resources compared to the competition.  The more balanced or in a coach's favor it is, the easier it should be for them to win and remain employed.  If WV were in the SEC, that job is a little better than Miss St or Ole Miss.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: IllinoisRazorbackFan on October 03, 2012, 06:54:05 pm
Yes obviously, just like Bowden and Grobe - playing Mr. Integrity like a fiddle.

Things have changed since then. While I agree that Long is not a great AD, Im not buying this for a second.

Long has the checkbook. At this point our program is going to sell itself to a coach like Holgorson.

nwarazfan

I have hard time believing any employed head coach was offered the job in September.

Mr. Porkleone

i may be ignorant, but I don't think this is a SI site. I looked and theres nothing there??

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Boardon Hamsay

Has there ever been a standing coach who, 5 weeks into a season, came out and said, "Yes, the University of _________ offered me their HC gig and I will be accepting it at the end of the season?"  Just asking because this seems to be a surprise to some.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

IllinoisRazorbackFan

Quote from: nwarazfan on October 03, 2012, 06:55:09 pm
Much different level of competition to get to those BCS bowls.  That is a poor barometer to measure a job comparing a program that was in the Big East and their success to an SEC program.

As far as jobs go, WV is just as good of a job right now.  OU and Texas will outrecruit them but they can get enough from their region especially Penn and Ohio and enough 3 star level players from Florida to be able to compete in the Big 12.  It is all about resources compared to the competition.  The more balanced or in a coach's favor it is, the easier it should be for them to win and remain employed.  If WV were in the SEC, that job is a little better than Miss St or Ole Miss.
Make whatever excuses you want and spin it however you want - whatever makes you feel better about our program I guess.

Choctaw Hog

If you have to have it explained to you than no amount of rationalizing will suffice.   

johnny cash

hogchic2001

October 03, 2012, 07:02:43 pm #33 Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:05:53 pm by hogchic2001
Really? They are in a WEAK conference. The ignorant people that post on this site is sickening.
Go HOGS Go!

nwarazfan

Quote from: IllinoisRazorbackFan on October 03, 2012, 06:58:23 pm
Make whatever excuses you want and spin it however you want - whatever makes you feel better about our program I guess.

I didn't say our job was better.  Our job is a tough one.  We do have money and facilities to compete with most anyone.  But our recruiting base compared to our competition and our competition in general makes our job less appealing to coaches already employed by major programs who are secure in their current jobs.  Our job is a big risk.  A good coach can come here and if the state doesn't produce some real contributors during his time, his job security won't be very good.  Some of our fans like to think a "big name" can just come in or a coach with Texas ties and suddenly we are the destination for Texas or deep south recruits.  Few secure well paid coaches at major programs will want to risk that.  We'll probably get a few coaches raises.

farmhawg

Quote from: dynastyhog on October 03, 2012, 06:35:54 pm
Third time is the charm for Jeff.  We just need to get publicly snubbed by one more coach then we'll have our guy.

In all seriousness if Jeff offered Dana the job at this point he nneds to be scrutinized.  If we were going to go after someone currently coaching we would have done it in April.
Nothing long does is reasonable.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Philip Seaton

Quote from: rhog1 on October 03, 2012, 06:43:39 pm
There is no way something like this leaks to the press unless somebody is playing a agenda.

No offense to the writer of the linked article, but show me a better source, I don't think anyone leak any info to a reporter, show me something concrete  rather than someone saying something on a radio show and one article for a fan-reporting Web site before starting with conspiracy theories. Just sayin'

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

LRRandy

Quote from: big john on October 03, 2012, 06:47:03 pm
urban Meyer. Jim Tressel. Les Miles. Those are a few good coaches from the north.
This is fun, isn't it.

cosmodrum

BOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO

WAAAAAHHHHHHHH
Go away, batin'

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LRRandy on October 03, 2012, 07:09:36 pm
urban Meyer. Jim Tressel. Les Miles. Those are a few good coaches from the north.

Or maybe Petrino or even Saban.

Hawgzinbowlz

Maybe a drunk, but a defense giving up 63 points ? Get a coach that understands how to assemble a defense. DH, Great offense with no defense (been there - done that).
Dana Holgerson = Mediocre DEFENSIVE Coach ; " NO THANKS "

Ham Ham Pigelow

Sherman's not comin through these parts Big John..let it go bud.

But seriously, the "rumor" about Holgorsen was taken from a frequently visited hawg pay site where a poster declared to have information from someone "close to WVU" that claimed DH said no thanks. But we all know Holgorsen was a long shot anyway.

Iwastherein1969

I say give this guy the whistle... and match John L's salary....at least Caesar is evolved enough to not only speak, but refer to himself in the 3rd person and render a complete sentence to his audience....

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 03, 2012, 06:54:34 pm
tell me, how many BCS bowl games would WVU make if they had played in the SEC the past 13 or so years ?

ad: if you are truthful, you know the answer is 0

So you're saying we should not be in the SEC so we can go to BCS games?

Who cares anyway with the 'what if' arguments. They went and we didn't.

Rockpig5

If true, thank the good lord he turned it down.  Jeff, you need to make this right....(hint) that wasn't it.

Ham Ham Pigelow

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on October 03, 2012, 07:14:40 pm

I think he is just simply stating that WVU won BCS bowls because of they were in the Big East.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on October 03, 2012, 07:14:40 pm

one dimensional thinking....how very evolved you must be

jjdlc

Who is Holgerson's agent?  This sounds a lot like all the rumors that were always floating around Nutt at one time or another.

fieldturf

Just 1 and he's from Montana!!!