Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fire Jeff Long!!!....and then what?

Started by LZH, September 26, 2012, 05:56:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Newhopehog

Quote from: LedZepHog on September 26, 2012, 08:57:29 pm
Not if you've named an AD.  Have you?  Has ANYONE.  NO NAMES, folks, no names.
You didn't think Terry Don was a name???ok

hawgdawg63

Yesturday driving back from Atlanta I was Listening to the Paul Finebaum show. He had a College Football expert on and they were discussing The Hogs fall and would JL pay for the fall?

The expert said yes. His reason was this:

In 2011 BP had the Hog football program at its highest money making year ever $90 million. As of this time 2012 Hog football was only going to bring in $45 million. He said college football is a business and even more so in the SEC.

He said JL could not survive because he would not be able to find another coach to bring in that kind of money or win like BP did. He said a school like the UofA needs football to pay for other sports programs and losing this kind of money is a major mistake on JL's part.

What do you think?

Pig In The City

Quote from: NolanForAD on September 26, 2012, 06:20:39 pm
1.  Cut the budget of our Track Program for NO reason;

2.  Disregarded John McDonnell's recommendation for his replacement and wrecked our once glorious track program;

3.  LIED about the real reason Petrino was fired so that he could glorify himself - causing a fracture in the fanbase and jeopardizing funding of the athletic department by infuriating boosters for no reason;

4.  Made the highly unusual and suspect decision to let the PLAYERS decide to keep the assistants and hire a bus driver coach with instructions to not get in the way, instead of finding a COMPETENT coach and letting him make staff decisions -  MEDDLING AD EXTRAORDINAIRE;

5.  Hired a head coach who TOLD HIM that he was in the middle of a massive bankruptcy which would plainly affect his ability to coach.  -- WILDLY INCOMPETENT

6.  Suggested to the student council that they distribute "Integrity goes a LONG way" Tshirts while our football program was DISINTIGRATING.
   -  Nero fiddling while Rome burned ...   

7.  Leaked that "he" would be willing to make our next coach the highest paid in college hours after the Bama beatdown, with NO authority to do so.   DESPERATE AND STRANGE; and

8.  Apparently structured JLS' contract in a manner intended to shield JLS' income from the bankruptcy court.    This is strongly suggested by JLS' bankruptcy filings but has not been addressed or explained yet.  -- How the Arkansas media is not all over this is a complete mystery - except tradition of do nothing media...

+1. Much like here.

HoggyCat

He won't get fired. The BOT will override his hire of whatever no name coach he wants and he'll crawl away live a little beoch.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Sivad

He is exactly right.
Jeff Long made perhaps the biggest AD mistake ever in college football.
The financial loss to the UA will be staggering.

HoggyCat

Hire Bill Montgomery as AD. Bring in Butch and BP as co-head coaches.

Not gonna happen, but firing Jeffy won't happen either.

Unfortunately.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hoggie17

Yeah I think Jeffie Long should be fired, AD's like him a dime a dozen. His Goofy mistake will cost millions or dollars.   

Sivad

Quote from: HoggyCat on September 29, 2012, 08:01:59 am
Hire Bill Montgomery as AD.
Bill has had very little to do with the Hogs since the Quinn Groovey led hiring committee voted him down and forced the hiring of Nutt over Bill and Frank's choice of Tommy Tuberville.

Pig In The City

He has definitely been taken down a peg and he knows he is in a tenuous position.  Anything but a slam dunk hire now, will leave him vulnerable to being replaced. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 26, 2012, 06:16:57 pm
Revisionist history? This is definitely false. Long was doing fine at Pitt when we hired him.

FALSE. They were getting ready to fire him.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hoggie17

He has painted himself in a cornor, he will not be able find someone as good as BP, if he makes a stupid hire, people will want his head.  I already do.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgdawg63 on September 29, 2012, 07:57:14 am
Yesturday driving back from Atlanta I was Listening to the Paul Finebaum show. He had a College Football expert on and they were discussing The Hogs fall and would JL pay for the fall?

In 2011 BP had the Hog football program at its highest money making year ever $90 million. As of this time 2012 Hog football was only going to bring in $45 million. He said college football is a business and even more so in the SEC.

He said JL could not survive because he would not be able to find another coach to bring in that kind of money or win like BP did. He said a school like the UofA needs football to pay for other sports programs and losing this kind of money is a major mistake on JL's part.

What do you think?

You do realize ALL schools football programs with a couple of exceptions pays for all the other sports. A fall in revenue is expected from time to time. He has NO clue how much our revenue loss will be. Finebaum is the Jerry Springer of college sports.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

EastexHawg

If the numbers are correct, ask yourselves this question...

What happens to CEOs who make decisions that directly result in the organization's revenues falling 50%?

"But I thought it was the right thing to do at the time" isn't going to cut it.

latrops

I think it depends on the next hire.  Petrino isn't the only coach capable of being successful with Arkansas...and even he didn't exactly dominate.  The fans and money will be there if Long hires a winner...especially if that winner fields a good offense.

GuvHog

Quote from: LedZepHog on September 26, 2012, 05:56:47 pm
Having read hundreds, prolly thousands, of JL-is-the-real-problem posts, I have yet to see anyone really expand their rock throwing to include a post-Long athletic department.  Just as the dismissal of a head coach must include the obvious question of 'if not him, then who?', it applies to the AD.  So, whaddya got, you of the guillotine-toting army?  If Long isn't up to the job, or if his sins are too great, who do we get to replace him?  Has anyone actually thought this out?

It's really very simple and not a problem at all. The PTB should handle things in this order:

(1) Fire Jeff Long

(2) Hire Ken Hatfield as interim AD for the rest of the school year

(3) Begin a Long, very thorough, Nationwide search for a top notch AD which would include considering Hatfield for the permanent postition

(3) Insist that AD Hatfield Re-assign JLS to an administrative position Immediately

(4) Insist that the Interim AD set down with BP and work out a deal which would result in his being re-hired as Hog HC Immediately
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pig In The City

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: dizzy_lavender on September 28, 2012, 03:34:46 pm
I know of no coach we have ever fired after 2 years.

Your analogy is doesnt work.

All of them were fired AFTER two years. Some of them way after..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jry04

What do you think?

Well, this guy is an idiot.(the guy on Finebaum, not you) An entire thread started based on incorrect facts. Arkansas football revenue stays in Arkansas football. We do not need football to pay for other sports, because football doesn't pay for other sports. Basketball is self sufficient, baseball is self sufficient, and the rest of the sports are paid through merchandise and memorabilia sales. Anytime someone purchases an item with a Razorback logo on it, they are supporting any sport other than football, baseball, and basketball.

The fact that this guy went on a national radio show and spewed false information as if it were facts is not surprising. The fact a Razorback fan thought it was correct isn't surprising, either.

JenksHawg

We tried an "insider" that had everything you mentioned - his name is Houston Nutt remember?

Quote from: KC Hawg on September 26, 2012, 06:08:02 pm
Then we hire someone who's not such an outsider.  Someone with ties to the program or at least ties to the South.  Someone who understands and respects tradition without selling the university's soul for a cheap buck.  Someone who is willing to put Arkansas first and maximum profits second.  Someone who has an inkling of what it may be like to be a Razorback fan, and someone who will do whatever it takes to keep that standard and tradition.  Someone with humility to admit they've made a mistake and rehire a coach who's transgressions didn't violate any rules or laws, except those of common decency toward his wife and family (take your sexual harassment arguments and shove them where the sun don't shine, cuz' unless you are a practicing attorney, your "belief" doesn't mean anything).

Sivad

In 2011 BP had the Hog football program at its highest money making year ever $90 million.
As of this time 2012 Hog football was only going to bring in $45 million.

And our local sports media, who so actively promoted and celebrated the assassination of BP, write and broadcast nothing about the colossal financial damage Jeff Long has inflicted to the Razorback program.

JenksHawg

Quote from: Sivad on September 29, 2012, 08:00:45 am
He is exactly right.
Jeff Long made perhaps the biggest AD mistake ever in college football.
The financial loss to the UA will be staggering.

"The biggest AD mistake ever in college football"?  Did you seriously just type that?

Dark Helmet Hog

Per ESPN - With a loss, Arkansas would join the 1984 Pittsburgh Panthers as the only preseason top-10 teams to have four losses by the end of September. The 1984 Panthers began 0-4 after being ranked third in the preseason poll and finished the season 3-7-1.

Hoggie17

Dark Helmet Hog

Isn't it a little odd that Pitt would be the only other team to be ranked preseason top 10 and start off so bad?

rzrbackrob

Yesterday driving back from Atlanta I was Listening to the Paul Finebaum show. He had a College Football expert on and they were discussing The Hogs fall and would JL pay for the fall?

What do you think?

Jeff Long seized the opportunity to make this about Jeff Long.
He could have subjugated himself and retained BP, but he did not want to appear weak.
All Hog fans wish for Jeff Long's hubris to pay off in the form an elite coach that makes everyone forget about Petrino.

History is written by the victors.

Petrino will be seen as a pathetic weasel that almost destroyed a program he helped build.
Jeff Long will bask in the glory as Razorback Stadium is completed with it's newest addition and 90,000 rabid Razorback fans cheer his genius.
The 2012 season will be placed at the foot of Petrino as evidence of his dissocial personality disorder.

Or

Jeff Long hires a coach that is an unmitigated failure. The majority of Hog fans will be demoralized and become apathetic as a way to survive the embarrassment that has become Razorback football.
The money will dry up, and projects will be left on the drawing board for the the next AD.
Long will leave Arkansas a afterthought in the college football world. Hog fans will welcome the next AD and hope for a return of Razorback pride.

Or

The Hogs will limp along in mediocrity while everyone points fingers at each other for the next decade.

Good is the enemy of great

Call a Hog

Evil plan????

It all makes sense now! I knew I never trusted that carpetbagger!

Hoggie17

What would Long have to do in order that he gets fired.  Getting rid of one the best coaches in the game is not enough, even thought it will cost millions and has nuked our football team.

Hoggie17

Yep, what I was afraid of, he is here for life.

hogsfanchaz

Have a wreck on a motorcycle with a hot blonde on the back and not tell the truth about it I guess?   I hate That Bobby is gone and so does the team....even if he was tough on them.....it made them tough!!!  Now they are WEAK!!  and it sux...
The difficult we do immediately....the impossible takes a little longer!!!!

Hoggie17

Firing Jeffie Long will not bring back BP or anyone as good, but it will make me feel great.

Drexl Spivey

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 29, 2012, 09:13:58 am
What would Long have to do in order that he gets fired.  Getting rid of one the best coaches in the game is not enough, even thought it will cost millions and has nuked our football team.

Bad-mouthing the Baptist Church would be a good start.

Hoggie17

I don't think a tall hot blonde would even look at Jeffie, much less go on a bike ride with him.

Drexl Spivey

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 29, 2012, 09:44:34 am
I don't think a tall hot blonde would even look at Jeffie, much less go on a bike ride with him.

Maybe getting caught with a Vientnamese Tranny would do the trick.

PigsPapa

September 29, 2012, 10:15:17 am #133 Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:41:27 am by PigsPapa
Quote from: Titanis on September 27, 2012, 02:39:53 am
Sometimes you make one terrible decision and it has a profound impact. It doesn't matter what you've done before.  Jeff Long made two such decisions back to back.  First, firing Petrino (which he DID NOT have to do), and then hiring John L. Smith (any other option would have been better including promotion of coordinators or any staff member). Hiring John L is arguably the worst decision.

John L. Smith is running our brand into the ground and killing any credibility we might have gained from firing Petrino.  Our football program specifically and our university more broadly are being turned into a laughing stock. It's nice to think that the average ESPN viewer knows that it's just John L being crazy or whatnot, but the truth is they hear ARKANSAS HEAD COACH John L. Smith and they associate his stupidity with ARKANSAS.  And it's only going to get worse with John L at the helm. 

Our AD has faith in the players (which he should), but he also supports our inept coaching staff. All I can do it shake my head.  These coaches cannot motivate or prepare this team for even below average competition.  The players tried, but they can't do it themselves. Our best players are getting injured left and right because they are trying to make up for a coaching deficit. They're young men who need some god damn LEADERSHIP and their is none to be found on our sidelines. It's sickening and it's even more sickening to listen to you guys defend them. 

So you want names?

Here you go. It's a list of every D1 athletic director. Pick one, and you can guarantee that their schools aren't being made a laughing stock on national television.  You can guarantee they didn't run off one of the best coaches in the country, and you can guarantee they didn't hire the mentally and veritably bankrupt John L. Smith. 

Jeff Long's employment may not be very long term anyway.  The countdown starts the day our new head coach steps foot on campus in December.  Long has probably two years at that point, and if the new coach can't get things turned around and recruit they should both be shown the door by 2015.   

The subpar coaching staff was Bobby Patrino-selected.  Therefore, he is NOT the GOD,  as labelled by some. My unpopular comments about Petrino and Long 2 years ago ring true today.  I TOLD THE RAZORBACK NATION WHAT WE WERE GETTiNG and no one listened. Both were accidents waiting to happen and were predictable.  Long was Chapter 1 mistake with Petrino being Chapter 2 mistake. Short sighted short term fixes have KILLED Arkansas pride and are as brainless as the original brainless decisions to hire them.

For the Petrino faithful, he was a liability from the get go; we got what we deserved when blindly opening our arms to him. Something was bound to happen in time. Turns out it was a blonde and a motor cycle and the lies that ensued. Trouble was going to happen, with the only questions, WHEN and WHAT TYPE!

We know now.