Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Behind closed doors? Is a power struggle inevitable?

Started by MrThunderhog, September 17, 2012, 11:22:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MrThunderhog

Are the power brokers and GOBN already shuffling to get a seat at the table, or will this hire be made with little to no outside influence?

I will say that I don't necessarily trust Jeff Long to make the right hire going forward, but if this ship stays on the same course, at what point does he relinquish power and hand over the reigns or have his hand forced.

I know college football is big business, and Jeff is the CEO of UofA athletics. But at some point the major stockholders are going to want someone to be held accountable. I know under Jeff Long the UofA has skyrocketed in terms of value of the program, but if this train completely jumps off the track, I think alot of this can be lost.

At what point does this become a power struggle. Is it already happening or does a win over Rutgers keep them at bay for a week or two. I dont know the innerworking of the Athletic Department, but I assume the BOT, GOBN, and others who make 6 and 7 figure donations want to know what is being done.

Who are the major players that can use their muscle to sway this coaching hire one way or the other?
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

BigE_23

Quote from: IronHog on September 17, 2012, 11:23:05 pm
What makes you think anyone cares anymore?
Doom, agony, despair, woe is me, all hope is lost... :puke:

MrThunderhog

When this much money is at stake, somebody always cares
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

IronHog

Quote from: MrThunderhog on September 17, 2012, 11:27:36 pm
When this much money is at stake, somebody always cares

Boosters give money...... not make it of the program.

I'd guess most of them have cut their losses and are watching honey boo boo.

Danny J

BigE_23

Btw, you're the guy who cared enough to click the thread and be the first to reply. So kiss off with the nobody cares bit.

IronHog

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2012, 11:38:34 pm
Btw, you're the guy who cared enough to click the thread and be the first to reply. So kiss off with the nobody cares bit.

Clicking on a thread and fighting for position in a dumpster fire are two different things.

BigE_23

Quote from: IronHog on September 17, 2012, 11:42:32 pm
Clicking on a thread and fighting for position in a dumpster fire are two different things.
So, Razorback Football = Dumpster Fire, now?

Nice

IronHog

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2012, 11:44:32 pm

Nice

I've never actually laid eyes on one..... but I'd guess the Hogs 2012 season will show up on wikipedia if you search for "dumpster fire"

MrThunderhog

Quote from: IronHog on September 17, 2012, 11:46:21 pm

I've never actually laid eyes on one..... but I'd guess the Hogs 2012 season will show up on wikipedia if you search for "dumpster fire"

I am in definate agreement with you. But its always darkest right before light. Im assuming that somebody up on the hill has to be jockying for a position at the table after this shitshow of a season finally comes to a head.

BigE_23

Of course...3 games in...so therefore, why should anyone care about the future of the program as a whole after one rebuilding/transitional season?

I totally see your point. Makes total sense.

HogCzar1

September 17, 2012, 11:52:26 pm #12 Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:55:00 pm by HogCzar1
There is no way there is any consensus right now. There a number of factions each with their own agenda. My best guess is that the BOT and Gearhart are behind Long.

They may be nervous (have good reason to), but they will give Long his hire after the season ends.

The high $ boosters and many on this board are fearful that it will be too late then. They want some type of action now, but it isn't going to happen.

Long will be given the chance to hire the coach. If he hires someone that winds up being the lead on Sportscenter, then everyone will rally. Those that fit that profile are very few.

If the best he can do in December with $4 to $5 million at his disposal is ANY coordinator, or someone along the lines of Charlie Strong, Malzahn, or some other name such as that then there will be many who will be furious.

That will reach another level if CBP is hired by another SEC school. If we wind up with an unproven name, then my bet is that Long is toast. But, I would still bet he leaves before he would be fired.

In that case we will be back to where we were pre-Petrino, and likely to be there for a long time to come.

lrcentral

Nice

Yes, so far this season our program is a dumpster fire. Lose this week and we can throw some tires in a dumpster and have a 2 for 1 special.

Brand X Hog Fan

Thinking about what happens on the Hill in such situations makes my head hurt. I'll bet the "position jockeys" have been falling all over themselves trying to get JL's ear. It is rather moot at this point. JL knows he has to hit a home run or lose his job. I don't believe his pride will let him be influenced by the PTB. My theory is if he doesn't have any prospects by November, he bails and leaves an even bigger void than we have now. At that point, the PTB resort to civil war and we get left with the carnage.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

BigE_23

Quote from: lrcentral on September 17, 2012, 11:52:30 pm
Yes, so far this season our program is a dumpster fire. Lose this week and we can throw some tires in a dumpster and have a 2 for 1 special.

This is where I have a problem with so many people on this board:

Folks...it's one freaking off year in transition between coaches!!!

With Bobby Petrino, we still lose Saturday. We're 2-1 (assuming we don't tank against ULM) versus 1-2. We lose 38-14 to Alabama versus 52-0. It's still a loss. If it was 52-48 it would still be a loss. The last four seasons under Petrino, every time we played Bama, a loss.

So now, this 1-2 team with a $30 million football facility under construction and more money in the fanbase than you can shake a stick at is a FREAKING DUMPSTER FIRE???

Give me a break. Some of y'all need a clue

MrThunderhog

Quote from: HogCzar1 on September 17, 2012, 11:52:26 pm
There is no way there is any consensus right now. There a number of factions each with their own agenda. My best guess is that the BOT and Gearhart are behind Long.

They may be nervous (have good reason to), but they will give Long his hire after the season ends.

The high $ boosters and many on this board are fearful that it will be too late then. They want some type of action now, but it isn't going to happen.

Long will be given the chance to hire the coach. If he hires someone that winds up being the lead on Sportscenter, then everyone will rally. Those that fit that profile are very few.

If the best he can do in December with $4 to $5 million at his disposal is ANY coordinator, or someone along the lines of Charlie Strong, Malzahn, or some other name such as that then there will be many who will be furious.

That will reach another level if CBP is hired by another SEC school. If we wind up with an unproven name, then my bet is that Long is toast. But, I would still bet he leaves before he would be fired.

In that case we will be back to where we were pre-Petrino, and likely to be there for a long time to come.

So you think Jeff Long will make this hire with little if any outside influence from the BOT or boosters? Sole responsibility will be on Jeff Long?

Sivad

Yes. Not a very LONG way from a holocaust.

BigE_23

Quote from: Sivad on September 17, 2012, 11:58:37 pm
Yes. Not a very LONG way from a holocaust.
Well then, Lanny...shut the whole thing down. Hogville was fun while it lasted.

IronHog

Quote from: MrThunderhog on September 17, 2012, 11:58:10 pm
So you think Jeff Long will make this hire with little if any outside influence from the BOT or boosters? Sole responsibility will be on Jeff Long?

Jeff Long went from total control of a upswing SEC program to the CEO of a dumpster fire.

BP left a huge power void on the hill.........  I'm guessing TW could name the next coach right now if he wanted.

MrThunderhog

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2012, 11:57:14 pm

With Bobby Petrino, we still lose Saturday. We're 2-1 (assuming we don't tank against ULM) versus 1-2. We lose 38-14 to Alabama versus 52-0. It's still a loss. If it was 52-48 it would still be a loss. The last four seasons under Petrino, every time we played Bama, a loss.

So now, this 1-2 team with a $30 million football facility under construction and more money in the fanbase than you can shake a stick at is a FREAKING DUMPSTER FIRE???

At what point does the money dry up? If we go 4-8 or 3-9, I just cant see fans and boosters pumping money into the program at the current rate. Mediocrity does not breed success, that is the point of this. At what point do the big money boosters try to influence this hire one way or the other.

Art Vandelay

MrThunderhog

Quote from: IronHog on September 18, 2012, 12:00:56 am

Jeff Long went from total control of a upswing SEC program to the CEO of a dumpster fire.

BP left a huge power void on the hill.........  I'm guessing TW could name the next coach right now if he wanted.

I think for all intentive purposes, he named the current coach

IronHog

Quote from: MrThunderhog on September 18, 2012, 12:05:29 am
I think for all intentive purposes, he named the current coach

Clearly it caused a dumpster fire and he should be awarded BP's do over.

Sivad

Quote from: MrThunderhog on September 18, 2012, 12:02:15 am
At what point does the money dry up? If we go 4-8 or 3-9, I just cant see fans and boosters pumping money into the program at the current rate. Mediocrity does not breed success, that is the point of this. At what point do the big money boosters try to influence this hire one way or the other.
I'm afraid the next donation cycle.
Bobby brought the money in, not AD Jeff Long, and many will not pay the big bucks for the sad product Long has created.

BigE_23

September 18, 2012, 12:07:47 am #25 Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:09:18 am by BigE_23
Seriously?

It doesn't take a freaking genius to look back over the last 20 years of razorback football to see that your question answers itself.

Back to back losing seasons under Ford...Hire Nutt...2 good years = Stadium expansion

A few years of mediocrity, followed by back to back losing seasons and email-gate...confusion reigns supreme...fanbase divided...enter Petrino = $30 million football facility.

Every program has ups and downs. EVERY PROGRAM. What makes a program special is its fanbase, and we have great fans.

When will the money run out? I guess when Wal-Mart files bankruptcy and people decide they don't like to eat chicken anymore. Do you see either happening soon? Me either

Fayettechill14

I still don't know what this mysterious organization known as the "GOBN" is.

There was a time, back in the Nutt days, when it (accurately) referred to Broyles, the heads of the Alumni Association and Razorback Foundation, and a handful of Nutt backers on the BOT. However, Broyles is gone, the BOT has changed membership and Nutt is long gone, and the heads of the AA and RF have changed multiple times since then.

This secret society called the "GOBN" is more secretive and undefined than the Freemasons...

Fayettechill14

The 2012 season maybe (I'm still predicting 7-5), but certainly not the future of this program.

IronHog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 18, 2012, 12:11:18 am
The 2012 season maybe (I'm still predicting 7-5), but certainly not the future of this program.

The future of the program hinges on the next HC.... everything rises and falls on leadership per Maxwell.....

And said program is still in the neverworld of football known as the Boston Mountains.

MrThunderhog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 18, 2012, 12:09:30 am
I still don't know what this mysterious organization known as the "GOBN" is.

There was a time, back in the Nutt days, when it (accurately) referred to Broyles, the heads of the Alumni Association and Razorback Foundation, and a handful of Nutt backers on the BOT. However, Broyles is gone, the BOT has changed membership and Nutt is long gone, and the heads of the AA and RF have changed multiple times since then.

This secret society called the "GOBN" is more secretive and undefined than the Freemasons...

Which is why I started this thread. Who are the biggest boosters and donors or groups that have enough stroke to influence this hire?

I only ask because I dont know? Tysons? Waltons? Jim Lindsay?

lrcentral

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2012, 11:57:14 pm

The reason for all that money is now gone with liitle hope of return. Cbp increased our value 300% in five years.

We just bought a villa and then lost our main income. Guess what happens now. The plans get scaled down and we end up in a 1200 foot rancher or worse. Right now with JL smith, we are living in a van down by the river.

BigE_23

And please define for me, what "the current rate" is.

We're 1-2. It's a 12 game season.

I don't get it. I know we lost in humiliating fashion. I know JLS is a moron. I get all that.

However, explain to me how 8 wins is completely impossible...

Explain to me how it's impossible to assume we don't get a great coach in the off-season...

Explain to me how it's impossible to assume that the ship can be righted just as it was when Petrino came...

I just don't get where y'all are coming with this.

Art Vandelay

BigE_23

Quote from: MrThunderhog on September 18, 2012, 12:14:00 am
Which is why I started this thread. Who are the biggest boosters and donors or groups that have enough stroke to influence this hire?

I can promise you this...whoever the power players are, they have Long's ear...and they don't post on Hogville

Fayettechill14

Okay, that's a fair question.

Tyson wants Butch Davis, I know that for sure. He wanted Butch in 2007 as well.

Jerry Jones also has to be considered. He was there on Saturday and saw what a wreck things have become. I have a feeling he has some friends in high places that he'd be more than happy to give a call to...

MrThunderhog

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 18, 2012, 12:14:59 am

I don't get it. I know we lost in humiliating fashion. I know JLS is a moron. I get all that.

Explain to me how it's impossible to assume we don't get a great coach in the off-season...

Explain to me how it's impossible to assume that the ship can be righted just as it was when Petrino came...

Have you watched the first three games? We are lucky to have a win right now. I dont have any reason to believe this can be turned around this season.

This current growth spurt happened because we were winning at a level not previously experienced. What makes you think people will continue to spend money on a mediocre team at the same rate.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 18, 2012, 12:14:59 am

I agree. This program will STILL be better off in 2013 than it was in 2008, Petrino's first season. The facilities, recent history, and fan support won't go away. I doubt the money will either.

IronHog

Waltons- don't care.  Really.

Uncle Jim- hasn't been heard from since his son's unfortunate bankruptcy

Tysons- Test the tea leaves to see if they support Davis, Gus, or someone else.

MrThunderhog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 18, 2012, 12:19:38 am
Okay, that's a fair question.

Tyson wants Butch Davis, I know that for sure. He wanted Butch in 2007 as well.

Jerry Jones also has to be considered. He was there on Saturday and saw what a wreck things have become. I have a feeling he has some friends in high places that he'd be more than happy to give a call to...

Thanks

Any idea who JJ might be backing?

HogCzar1

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 18, 2012, 12:20:53 am
I agree. This program will STILL be better off in 2013 than it was in 2008, Petrino's first season. The facilities, recent history, and fan support won't go away. I doubt the money will either.

I wouldn't bet on that

BigE_23

Quote from: MrThunderhog on September 18, 2012, 12:19:48 am
Have you watched the first three games? We are lucky to have a win right now. I dont have any reason to believe this can be turned around this season.

This current growth spurt happened because we were winning at a level not previously experienced. What makes you think people will continue to spend money on a mediocre team at the same rate.
I'll answer your question with a couple questions: Is there any reason to believe that we will be permanently mediocre? Is all hope lost?

If the answer to both of my questions is "no", then your question is mute.

If you see no future, no hope, no room for optimism...then don't donate, don't buy merchandise, and don't go to the games.

That's why this hire in December is so crucial, because it decides the level of hope and optimism moving forward...and that's why the people with money have Long's ear.

MrThunderhog

Quote from: IronHog on September 18, 2012, 12:21:00 am
Waltons- don't care.  Really.

Uncle Jim- hasn't been heard from since his son's unfortunate bankruptcy

Tysons- Test the tea leaves to see if they support Davis, Gus, or someone else.

So was/is that about the extent of the big money boosters who in actuality may contribute enough to warrant a sitdown?

Arkansas doesn't have its own version of Bobby Lowder behind the scenes?

Fayettechill14

Quote from: MrThunderhog on September 18, 2012, 12:22:33 am
Thanks

Any idea who JJ might be backing?

Gary Patterson would be a guess, given that he coaches in the same metropolitan region.

Bob Stoops and Mike Gundy are two others, given their proximity (JJ knows Bob personally) and the fact that Cowboys have drafted large numbers of OU and OSU players in recent years.

MrThunderhog

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 18, 2012, 12:26:18 am
I'll answer your question with a couple questions: Is there any reason to believe that we will be permanently mediocre? Is all hope lost?

If the answer to both of my questions is "no", then your question is mute.

If you see no future, no hope, no room for optimism...then don't donate, don't buy merchandise, and don't go to the games.

That's why this hire in December is so crucial, because it decides the level of hope and optimism moving forward...and that's why the people with money have Long's ear.

This is exactly what I wondering. Thank you.

Who in your opinion has Longs ear?

Fayettechill14

Quote from: HogCzar1 on September 18, 2012, 12:25:01 am
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 18, 2012, 12:20:53 am

I wouldn't bet on that

You sure? I honestly don't totally understand why, but I know that a $30 million football ops center has a ridiculous effect on recruiting and prestige. Ever since Oregon built theirs their recruiting has skyrocketed, same for OK State. Schools like Miami and Pittsburgh, traditional powers that did not make such facility upgrades, are paying the price in the recruiting rankings and coach attraction.

IronHog

Quote from: MrThunderhog on September 18, 2012, 12:28:26 am
So was/is that about the extent of the big money boosters who in actuality may contribute enough to warrant a sitdown?

Arkansas doesn't have its own version of Bobby Lowder behind the scenes?

Not really.

Arkansas has boosters that can buy a NC when they get ready.  They don't care that much.

MrThunderhog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 18, 2012, 12:29:51 am
Gary Patterson would be a guess, given that he coaches in the same metropolitan region.

Bob Stoops and Mike Gundy are two others, given their proximity (JJ knows Bob personally) and the fact that Cowboys have drafted large numbers of OU and OSU players in recent years.

Patterson of those 3 would I only slightly consider a real possibility.

I heard Stoops just built a mega-mansion and is very content.

T-Boone wont turn Gundy loose. He has the means to keep him and the will to do it.

ark525

September 18, 2012, 12:37:39 am #48 Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:40:21 am by ark525
QuoteI will say that I don't necessarily trust Jeff Long to make the right hire going forward, but if this ship stays on the same course, at what point does he relinquish power and hand over the reigns or have his hand forced.

I know college football is big business, and Jeff is the CEO of UofA athletics. But at some point the major stockholders are going to want someone to be held accountable. I know under Jeff Long the UofA has skyrocketed in terms of value of the program, but if this train completely jumps off the track, I think alot of this can be lost.

At what point does this become a power struggle. Is it already happening or does a win over Rutgers keep them at bay for a week or two. I dont know the innerworking of the Athletic Department, but I assume the BOT, GOBN, and others who make 6 and 7 figure donations want to know what is being done.

Why should there be a power struggle, and why wouldn't the University (if not the BOT) support Jeff Long?  As has been repeated many times on here, the University stood to lose if Petrino had been retained.  Jeff Long's development of the Arkansas athletics department was entirely dependent on Petrino sticking around and the department continuing to raise funds.  Jeff Long himself stands to lose the most from firing Petrino (I'm not sure how people don't understand this), but his hand was forced by the legal requirements of the University as an academic institution dependent upon Federal funds for it's operating costs.

So, regardless of what has happened since, Petrino had to go.  Since then, Long has had to choose between: 1) hiring a full-time coach from a VERY limited pool available, who would likely bring in a completely new staff and completely new scheme, in which case the 2012 season was lost because the players wouldn't have time to learn the system, 2) promote one of the staff to interim coach and hope they can hold it together, 3) hire JLS back since he has head coaching experience and hope he can hold it together, 4) hire McGee back and hope he can hold it together.

#1 failed because no coach available was interested, and I'm sure Long also didn't want to just throw out the 2012 season completely
#2 and #4 were likely judged to be a greater risk than #3 because none of those folks has prior head coaching experience
#3 was, on paper, the best available option, especially since JLS would agree to a 10-month interim contract that would give Long plenty of time to advertise/interview for the head coaching job for 2013.

As it turned out, 2012 was a done season once Petrino wrecked his bike.  Did we all hope for better?  Sure, but I'll be shocked if we win more than 3 or 4 games this season.  Nothing we do now is going to make that better, and ditching JLS for another interim (or even full-time) coach right now, in the middle of the season, is far more likely to do more harm than good.

Let's calm down, and let Long make a hire at the end of the season, when the most, best coaches become available.  If that hire is anything less than the homerun that will get the program back on a winning track, Long will not only have to answer to the fans, but will have to answer to the University and the BOT.  He knows (or must know) that his investments into the program are in grave danger unless he finds the best coach possible, and by extension, he is in grave danger.  We as a fanbase can do more to alienate a potential coach by acting like lunatics (as many are) than Jeff Long can do by hoping to preserve his own legacy as AD.

BigE_23

September 18, 2012, 12:38:48 am #49 Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:43:28 am by BigE_23
Quote from: MrThunderhog on September 18, 2012, 12:30:23 am
This is exactly what I wondering. Thank you.

Who in your opinion has Longs ear?
I honestly don't know, and unlike a lot of people on this board, I won't pretend to know, or pretend to know someone who knows...or pretend to know someone who knows a guy who heard from someone who is friends with...you get the idea.

Here's what I think to know about Jeff Long- he's a lot smarter than people like IronHog want to give him credit for. He knows who, not only has money, but has their finger on the pulse of the program.

When you make a major decision in your life, do you have about 2-3 people who you bounce things off of? At your work, when changes are made, do you see the upper management go to a few of the long tenured employees to bounce things off of them, to see which way the "wind's blowing"? It just makes sense to do that, and anyone with half a brain knows that you don't run to the janitor to discuss the future of the company.

Jeff knows the right people...Bobby built the product on the field, but someone had to glad hand the high rollers. You think Bobby did that? He had as much personality as a piece of leather.

I'm not saying that Jeff is perfect, and will make the right choice about our next coach, but I do think he knows who to involve in the process and who to listen to. Remember, the eyes of the college football world have been on Jeff Long since April. You don't shoot from the hip with pressure like that on you.