Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Penn St. in better shape than Arkansas?

Started by hogcard1964, September 16, 2012, 09:15:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

Honest question. I realize they're not bowl eligible but do they have the means to be more competaive than us sooner?

My God, how far we've fallen.

dizzy_lavender

They have espn throwing them a pity party and laugh at us for thinking we could win a championship

racingpossum

Yes they have one hell of a coach plus #1qb commit..

We have a circus clown.

We are also the fifth best destination job in our own division.

Razorfox

Dude, really?  They haven't even gotten their punishment yet.  Wait until all those scholarships disappear. 

BartIV

Penn State vs Ark

1. No Post season for both teams
2. Losing records for both teams
3. Recruiting will suffer for both teams

Penn State has a Head Coach, people will continue to go to the games, donations will be high, but they are still a punch line

Arkansas doesn't have a head coach, people will stop going to games, donation will drop some, and we will still be a punch line, but we have integrity.

Everything looks about equal.

CR7

Quote from: Razorfox on September 16, 2012, 09:19:09 am
Dude, really?  They haven't even gotten their punishment yet. Wait until all those scholarships disappear.

Ummmm what?

BartIV

Quote from: Razorfox on September 16, 2012, 09:19:09 am
Dude, really?  They haven't even gotten their punishment yet.  Wait until all those scholarships disappear. 
We are receiving our punishment right now.

Razorfox

Quote from: BartIV on September 16, 2012, 09:21:47 am
Penn State vs Ark

Penn State has a Head Coach, people will continue to go to the games, donations will be high, but they are still a punch line

Arkansas doesn't have a head coach, people will stop going to games, donation will drop some, and we will still be a punch line, but we have integrity.

Dude, you need a break from this board and from Hog sports.  Do you have any other things in life to get back to?

Razorfox

ShadowTheHedgehog

The main difference is that they got a coach. They should had let Penn State keep their schollies and money but forced them to hire JLS instead. That's a much harsher penalty.

arkansasbred

BartIV

Quote from: Razorfox on September 16, 2012, 09:28:09 am
Dude, you need a break from this board and from Hog sports.  Do you have any other things in life to get back to?
Our seasons are going in the same directions and both futures don't look bright. Penn States recruiting used to be a lot better than ours, but now we are about equal with them now.
Them having a head coach is a big plus.

mmks1

All we need is a child molester to bring us even w/ Penn st.People think our next coach is Gruden or Carrol.LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!We have given ourselves a death penalty in a span of 7 days.I honestly don't think even the Chicago cubs could accomplish this.Although this is Arkansas.

jdhogg0707

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 16, 2012, 09:15:38 am
Honest question. I realize they're not bowl eligible but do they have the means to be more competaive than us sooner?

Any player can leave that team at any time for any reason for four years?  No question we're better off. 

No question.

Razorfox

Quote from: BartIV on September 16, 2012, 09:32:58 am
Our seasons are going in the same directions and both futures don't look bright. Penn States recruiting used to be a lot better than ours, but now we are about equal with them now.
Them having a head coach is a big plus.

We are having a one year debacle.  They are just starting a multi-year debacle.  I am literally amazed you are so shortsighted and focused on just this season not to see the difference. 

BartIV

Quote from: Razorfox on September 16, 2012, 09:36:01 am
We are having a one year debacle.  They are just starting a multi-year debacle.  I am literally amazed you are so shortsighted and focused on just this season not to see the difference. 
Everyone on here agree's we are going to be down for 5-7 years now because of this. We are in a full rebuilding mode now.

Penn State plays in a easier conference. They have that going for them.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BartIV on September 16, 2012, 09:37:18 am
Everyone on here agree's we are going to be down for 5-7 years now because of this. We are in a full rebuilding mode now.

Who is "everyone"?  That's nonsense.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Razorfox

Ya'll saying that sound as ridiculous as the folks that said firing Nutt would set us back 10 years.  The Arkansas fan base has to be the dumbest on the planet. 

BartIV

Quote from: Fatty McGee on September 16, 2012, 09:39:49 am
Who is "everyone"?  That's nonsense.
The majority.

We do have people on here whose glass is always half full and blindly optimistic though.

BartIV

Quote from: Razorfox on September 16, 2012, 09:41:41 am
Ya'll saying that sound as ridiculous as the folks that said firing Nutt would set us back 10 years.  The Arkansas fan base has to be the dumbest on the planet. 
Fan short for fanatic.

jdhogg0707

5-7 years?  What?  Why?  Any team that is willing to pay 3.5m for a coach isn't going to be down for long. 

Relax mane. 

Razorfox

Quote from: BartIV on September 16, 2012, 09:43:03 am
The majority.

We do have people on here whose glass is always half full and blindly optimistic though.

Anything the majority of this board writes or believes is wrong about 90% of the time.  It's one of the funniest things I've EVER seen.  If this board said the sky was blue today, it would turn out to be green. 

Razorfox

Quote from: BartIV on September 16, 2012, 09:44:11 am
Fan short for fanatic.

Nope, fanatic doesn't mean leave your brain at the door.  I have an entire room of my house dedicated to Razorback stuff along with flags outside, etc.  It doesn't give me the rights to be an idiot. 

kaiserhog

Quote from: Razorfox on September 16, 2012, 09:41:41 am
Well, find another team if you feel that way.

BartIV

Quote from: Razorfox on September 16, 2012, 09:44:25 am
Anything the majority of this board writes or believes is wrong about 90% of the time.  It's one of the funniest things I've EVER seen.  If this board said the sky was blue today, it would turn out to be green. 
Well, we will find out in a couple of months which direction the Arkansas Razorbacks will be going. Hope you are right because you are putting all your chips down on Jeff Long to make a big hire when Bobby P. just fell into his lap.

Razorfox

Quote from: kaiserhog on September 16, 2012, 09:46:32 am
Well, find another team if you feel that way.

Dude, I assure you that if it was the fans that I cheered for, I wouldn't be a Hog fan. 

hawgball9401

I would say it remains to be seen, based mainly on the selection of our new HC. 

The right head coach can come in here and have us competing at high levels in 2-3 seasons.

If the wrong HC is hired..........we've all seen that movie.

Razorfox

Quote from: BartIV on September 16, 2012, 09:48:18 am
Well, we will find out in a couple of months which direction the Arkansas Razorbacks will be going. Hope you are right because you are putting all your chips down on Jeff Long to make a big hire when Bobby P. just fell into his lap.

And yet you refuse to realize that it's not Long's fault that coaches weren't flocking back in 2007.  He's fighting against many years of Arkansas' reality.  Poor state, less fans than other programs, less money, insane fans, less than stellar history, etc.  Ya'll just think because you want things to be better that some magic genie can just make it happen. 

BartIV

Quote from: Razorfox on September 16, 2012, 09:53:26 am
And yet you refuse to realize that it's not Long's fault that coaches weren't flocking back in 2007.  He's fighting against many years of Arkansas' reality.  Poor state, less fans than other programs, less money, insane fans, less than stellar history, etc.  Ya'll just think because you want things to be better that some magic genie can just make it happen. 
So you are saying Penn States situation is looking better than ours?

kaiserhog

September 16, 2012, 10:04:02 am #31 Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:06:14 am by kaiserhog
Quote from: Razorfox on September 16, 2012, 09:50:11 am
Dude, I assure you that if it was the fans that I cheered for, I wouldn't be a Hog fan.
I wonder

luckyrazrbk

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 16, 2012, 09:29:53 am
The main difference is that they got a coach. They should had let Penn State keep their schollies and money but forced them to hire JLS instead. That's a much harsher penalty.

im liking that idea +1

Gabrielhog

We'll find out who'd worse when they play each other in the toilet bowl at the end of the year.  :D

hawgball9401

Quote from: Razorfox on September 16, 2012, 09:53:26 am

All the more reason to NOT fire BP!!!

Razorfox

Quote from: BartIV on September 16, 2012, 10:00:56 am
So you are saying Penn States situation is looking better than ours?

No, Penn State only have a moderately better history than ours.  But they also have several other built in advantages over us too.  Having said that, losing as much money and scholarships as they are about to takes much of those things out of the equation for a long time. 

luckyrazrbk

well atleast the players know they wont have to take a sandusky shower here :)

Razorfox

Quote from: hawgball9401 on September 16, 2012, 10:06:19 am
All the more reason to NOT fire BP!!!

Nope, you fire people when they deserve it.  You don't give someone preferential treatment for any reason.   

hogcard1964

Quote from: BartIV on September 16, 2012, 09:21:47 am
Penn State vs Ark

Exactly how I see it.

HoggyCat

I said it last week, and tweeted it to Jeffy....... One more stupid hire and they will recover quicker.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

CR7

Quote from: Razorfox on September 16, 2012, 09:28:30 am
How many scholarships are they short right now?

Not very many, especially since they've have 10 players leave the team already. Plus the one kid that just left last week.

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 16, 2012, 09:15:38 am

While things are certainly dark for us now I certainly WOULDN'T under any circumstances want to be PSU at this point. While the situation on the Hill is bad it certainly isn't as difficult as the Lion's will be for a while. At least we don't have the type of NCAA sanctions and penalties the folks in "sad valley" are going to have to overcome for quite some time to come.

Finding a viable HC is obviously a major and understandable concern for us. However, at least trying to get this team back on track for the future isn't going to require an almost total reconstruction under the stigma and sanctions PSU is going to have to face. Don't forget too that the reputation of "Childgate" is going to be a nuclear cloud that will continue to haunt them for far into the future.

HogInFlorida

September 16, 2012, 10:17:28 am #42 Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:19:02 am by HogInFlorida
LOL. If you honestly think Arkansas is in any way close to how bad Penn State is at... Wow. We're looking at a bad year. They're looking at a bad decade.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Razorfox

Quote from: HogInFlorida on September 16, 2012, 10:17:28 am
LOL. If you honestly think Arkansas is in any way close to how bad Penn State is at... Wow. We're looking at a bad year. They're looking at a bad decade.

Thank you. 

hawgball9401

Quote from: Razorfox on September 16, 2012, 10:09:21 am
Nope, you fire people when they deserve it.  You don't give someone preferential treatment for any reason.   

It's called discipline at the lowest level to correct the undesired behavior.  I didn't say you ignore, you try first to correct it.

If every military member was ousted every time he/she behaved inappropriately, we would be reduced to a militia.

HoggyCat

Quote from: HogInFlorida on September 16, 2012, 10:17:28 am

You'll see how long we're down if Jeffy screws up thus hire like he did with JLS. There ain't no BP knocking on his door this time, and with the fan outcry and players but giving their all in the face of adversity.......

Buckle up, gonna be a bumpy ride.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HG

Quote from: Razorfox on September 16, 2012, 09:28:30 am
How many scholarships are they short right now?

Ironically, not as many as you'd think -- transfers and decommits freed up several.  :P

Fatty McGee

Quote from: BartIV on September 16, 2012, 09:43:03 am
The majority.

Everyone does not mean majority. However, a new coach can easily turn us around, or have us on the path, within three years. And it's a nearly complete guess if this or that coach will work. Unless their names are Saban or Meyer. 

So relax, we won't know anything until at least the end of 2014.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

silverandbluedc

I think the answer to this question will be determined when we know who our coach is. At this time, I see our situation being as bad as PSU's because we lack the one thing they have, a head coach who is prepared. If Long hires someone like JLS again, we will be worse off in the long run. If Long gets the right guy, we will right the ship long before Penn State.

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: silverandbluedc on September 16, 2012, 11:36:16 am
I think the answer to this question will be determined when we know who our coach is. At this time, I see our situation being as bad as PSU's because we lack the one thing they have, a head coach who is prepared. If Long hires someone like JLS again, we will be worse off in the long run. If Long gets the right guy, we will right the ship long before Penn State.

That's how I see it too.

For this year, after week 3:

Penn State 1-2 vs FBS teams
Arkansas 0-2 vs FBS teams

So on the surface, for this moment in time, yes, they are, although we may finish with a slightly better record than them.