Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Am I the Only One That Thinks Alabama is a Little Overrated?

Started by hogphann, September 13, 2012, 11:17:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogphann

I'm not necessarily saying we have a great chance to win, but if Wilson plays, I don't think it will be as bad as every one is expecting. 

First of all, so far every one in the country is judging Bama's dominance solely off a victory of a VERY OVER RATED Michigan team. Michigan gave up at least 3 turnovers, and most of those if not all led to Alabama points on the board.  Also, they couldn't even break 35 against Western Kentucky.

Bama has a good defense, but still nothing compared to last year.  They have a lot of inexperienced players in the secondary and playing their first SEC road game will not be easy.  I didn't watch the Michigan game, but from what I've heard, Dennard Robinson apparently had multiple opportunities to make big passing plays and pick them apart but in stead he overthrew wide open receivers and threw 2 interceptions.  Although our O-line probably isn't as good as Michigan, if we can give Wilson just enough time to throw it, he will make some big plays.

Third, I think everyone is being overly pessimistic after the ULM game, which is clouding people's judgement.  Granted, we did get dominated in the second half of the game.  However, if Wilson would have stayed in the game, the morale of the team would have been completely different and we would have at least won by 2-3 touchdowns.  Not to mention that I think it is safe to say that the team completely over looked ULM.  They have been preparing for Bama ever since the K-State game was over and probably gave no time of day preparing a legit game plan against Jacksonville St or ULM. 

With that  being said, if Allen plays, I think most of this becomes irrelevant and we don't stand much of a chance.  But if Wilson plays, I think realistically we most likely lose by 2-3 touchdowns after a close 1st half but Bama's experience, coaching, and depth will allow them to pull away in the 2nd half.

However at the same time, I would not be very surprised if we came out with a chip on shoulder to try to prove to the whole country that we still are a top 25 team, which with Wilson, I think we still are.  Arkansas has a history of playing their best/shocking games when we have our backs against the wall as the underdogs and have nothing to lose.  I think it is very possible that this team comes out Saturday and plays this game as if it were their last, the same as we did in 07 with Nutt when we had nothing to lose against #1 LSU at Death Valley and shocked the world.

Footnotes: -Alabama, though still a great team, is not as good as everyone in the country believes.
                - If Wilson plays and this team comes out with motivation and intensity, we have a good shot to stay in this game for a while and maybe even pull off an upset.

irishman

They're big, strong, fast and about 4 deep at every position. No, I wouldn't say they're overrated. I guess it's possible to pull the upset but...

56Hog

Alabama is overated.

They will get away with it because there is still no team to challenge them if LSU keeps losing players and Arkansas can't find some coaching.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

hawgs4packers

YES!!!
Quote from: hogphann on September 13, 2012, 11:17:24 am
I'm not necessarily saying we have a great chance to win, but if Wilson plays, I don't think it will be as bad as every one is expecting. 

First of all, so far every one in the country is judging Bama's dominance solely off a victory of a VERY OVER RATED Michigan team. Michigan gave up at least 3 turnovers, and most of those if not all led to Alabama points on the board.  Also, they couldn't even break 35 against Western Kentucky.

Bama has a good defense, but still nothing compared to last year.  They have a lot of inexperienced players in the secondary and playing their first SEC road game will not be easy.  I didn't watch the Michigan game, but from what I've heard, Dennard Robinson apparently had multiple opportunities to make big passing plays and pick them apart but in stead he overthrew wide open receivers and threw 2 interceptions.  Although our O-line probably isn't as good as Michigan, if we can give Wilson just enough time to throw it, he will make some big plays.

Third, I think everyone is being overly pessimistic after the ULM game, which is clouding people's judgement.  Granted, we did get dominated in the second half of the game.  However, if Wilson would have stayed in the game, the morale of the team would have been completely different and we would have at least won by 2-3 touchdowns.  Not to mention that I think it is safe to say that the team completely over looked ULM.  They have been preparing for Bama ever since the K-State game was over and probably gave no time of day preparing a legit game plan against Jacksonville St or ULM. 

With that  being said, if Allen plays, I think most of this becomes irrelevant and we don't stand much of a chance.  But if Wilson plays, I think realistically we most likely lose by 2-3 touchdowns after a close 1st half but Bama's experience, coaching, and depth will allow them to pull away in the 2nd half.

However at the same time, I would not be very surprised if we came out with a chip on shoulder to try to prove to the whole country that we still are a top 25 team, which with Wilson, I think we still are.  Arkansas has a history of playing their best/shocking games when we have our backs against the wall as the underdogs and have nothing to lose.  I think it is very possible that this team comes out Saturday and plays this game as if it were their last, the same as we did in 07 with Nutt when we had nothing to lose against #1 LSU at Death Valley and shocked the world.

Footnotes: -Alabama, though still a great team, is not as good as everyone in the country believes.
                - If Wilson plays and this team comes out with motivation and intensity, we have a good shot to stay in this game for a while and maybe even pull off an upset.

WOW!!!

rickm1976

No, they are not overrated.  They may not be as good as they were on defense last year, but they are still the best team in the country.

Uncommon

I don't think they are.  I think they're still the best team in the SEC.  I had us losing our only game to them as a preseason season prediction.  Boy, was I off.  After this last week, nothing's a for sure win the rest of the season.

GoHogzzGo

I'd agree we haven't really seen enough Bama games to fully know. They might be a little overrated, but bottom line, they are significantly better than we are. Can we win? Sure. I'll be cheering my heart out, just being realistic.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

hogphann

Quote from: rickm1976 on September 13, 2012, 11:22:13 am
No, they are not overrated.  They may not be as good as they were on defense last year, but they are still the best team in the country.

"overrated" may not have been the best choice of words for me to use.  What I'm really trying to say is that they may not be as good as everyone thinks they are at this current point in time of the season-

Remember when Alabama was preseason #1 in 2010 and yet they went on to lose three games that season? Everyone was saying the same thing good things about that Alabama team as they are now with the 2012 team.  Hell, we even went to a better bowl game then them that year..

nwarazfan

Possibly.  A talented team with a good oline and a better than good defensive front can play with them.  And upsets happen.  Never know when a team is mentally unprepared to play.  Can't go through the motions usually in the SEC.

Michigan's oline got whipped so badly their tackle cried after the game.  Robinson missed open receivers.  He also threw many of those passes off his back foot or on the move. 

I'm not sure any team in college football has the oline Bama does.  LSU maybe was close before they lost one.  A&M's is good too.  I can't remember a team with 3 All Americans in the oline.  I'm sure it has happened but it is rare.  McCarron is a good passer.  Scary to think about with their running backs and line and it appears some want to be in denial about it even after what they did in the NCG when they opened up their offense.  And sure their D can possibly be exploited.  I'm not sure a team without a consistent running game or an ability to protect its qb can do it. 

weresoclose

The best team in the country, recognized as such by all major media outlets, is not the definition of overrated.  We will get creamed on Saturday, and you guys need to mentally prepare for that, so there's not another meltdown.

Redhogs

We'll know the answer to that Sat. night......with regard to AR. anyway....
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

cosmodrum

They're suspect at DBs (for bama at least), and they don't have a Trent Richardson or Mark Ingram.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: weresoclose on September 13, 2012, 11:27:06 am
The best team in the country, recognized as such by all major media outlets, is not the definition of overrated.  We will get creamed on Saturday, and you guys need to mentally prepare for that, so there's not another meltdown.

Oh, I'm prepared. Just hoping for the best.

Whiskey helps.
Go away, batin'

arkfan81

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 13, 2012, 11:28:28 am
They're suspect at DBs (for bama at least), and they don't have a Trent Richardson or Mark Ingram.

they lost another rb to a knee injury as well..
Have faith...

DeltaBoy

Too Bad Bama does have USC next week in LA so we could shut the West Coast Media up.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

poloprince

Yes you are the only one to think they are overrated, they get the best players year in and year out.
$PoLoPrInCe$

hogphann

Quote from: weresoclose on September 13, 2012, 11:27:06 am

No not at all actually.  I think the Arkansas fans are already well prepared for a loss to the #1 team in the country since we just lost to ULM at home a week before.  It won't be much of a meltdown since virtually everyone is expecting at least a 21 point loss.  To clarify, I am already prepared for a loss.  But I'm predicting that it won't be as bad as most people are saying like in the 42-7 range.  If we lose by 7 or 47, I will be just as prepared for it mentally since we are such a huge underdog

hogphann

Quote from: poloprince on September 13, 2012, 11:35:03 am
Yes you are the only one to think they are overrated, they get the best players year in and year out.

"the only one who thinks they are overrated"? apparently you failed to read the comments on this thread. Multiple people have agreed that they aren't as good as they are projected to be.  Remember when they were preseason #1 in 2010 but lost 3 games? We went to a better bowl game than them that year

What do you mean overrated? They shouldn't be ranked number 1? I think they certainly deserve that.  They haven't proved that they are the greatest college football team of all time by any means.

code red

In short yes
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

rljjr

They're JUST as good on defense but the biggest difference is that they are FAR better on offense this year.

hogphann

Quote from: code red on September 13, 2012, 11:40:28 am
In short yes

yes as in this analysis is correct or yes that I am the only one that thinks they are a little overrated? Obviously I'm not the only one if you look at the responses on this thread

hogatheart

I just watched the Western Kentucky-Bama game replay on espin-3, and although they won that game pretty big, ajmac was on the ground alot and WK made alot of 1st downs. I say right now if we dont put the ball on the ground, and no picks,we will win a shoot out. Bama did not show the same d as last year, and there are holes. We have to pressure and the LBs have to step up. Yes, overrated.

hogphann

Quote from: hogatheart on September 13, 2012, 11:45:31 am
  I just watched the Western Kentucky-Bama game replay on espin-3, and although they won that game pretty big, ajmac was on the ground alot and WK made alot of 1st downs. I say right now if we dont put the ball on the ground, and no picks,we will win a shoot out. Bama did not show the same d as last year, and there are holes. We have to pressure and the LBs have to step up. Yes, overrated.

this

Torqued pork

They might be overrated if they played an NFL schedule, but right now they look like they could crush any other college team.

The Great Hogsby

Isn't it possible for them to be overrated and still be the best team in the country?
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

razorjacket43

No I dont think they are over-rated in the least, they have proven over the last few years why the SEC west is the hardest division in the NCAA. They have outstanding coaching and players that have a desire and a "want to" that many other schools wished they had. With that said I do feel that we could slide into a victory at home this saturday, but for that to happen the stars will definatley have to shine brighter than ever before and we will definatley need our head star (TylerW.) back on the feild.
One day soon, I see a National Championship Trophy in our Trophy Case........................

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

H0GGYSTYLE

MuskogeeHogFan

September 13, 2012, 12:00:27 pm #29 Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:09:18 pm by MuskogeeHogFan

Are they overrated, it is possible. But...

What Alabama does is to just be themselves. They rarely make critical, undisciplined mistakes. Making self inflicted mistakes was our by-word last weekend.

Alabama is going to line-up with their normal 3 man front with 4 LB's. They are going to blitz the heck out of whomever the QB is by overloading the front (ULM showed them the value of that). They will bring Corner blitzes from the field side trying to force us to make plays on the boundary side...this is their modus operandi as a defense. Makes sense...force the play to the short side of the field and use the sideline as an extra defender.

If we don't find a way to spread their defense out, dump the ball off on swing patterns or quick (hot) slant patterns to punish them for blitzing, it will be a long night with either (or both) QB's spending a lot of time on their backs. We can't stretch the field until we make them pay underneath no matter how many times we try to throw downfield. They will be all about keeping us underneath their coverage umbrella until we begin to hurt them and drive the ball using the short game.

Defensively, stop the run and give them a dose of their own medicine by overloading the front and putting incredible pressure on McCarron. Got to maintain containment and not allow him to freely scramble out of the pocket only to make a play. We also cannot play 5-10 yards off the receivers and allow them to make unchallenged catches, but based on what I saw the first two weeks, I have my doubts that this will change. Got to make better tackles and gang tackle.

Is Alabama overrated? I think they play solid football and whether they are overrated or not will be proven Saturday afternoon. Can we win? Yes. Will we? Depends on the gameplan and the ability of the OC and DC to make quality adjustments on the fly.
Go Hogs Go!

hogfan58

All they need to be is better than we are....which they are.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

razorjacket43

We could be better, but Saban wont come here to be our coach..Sarcasm but true
One day soon, I see a National Championship Trophy in our Trophy Case........................

idochog

I love Jesus!

razorsharptusk

September 13, 2012, 12:18:45 pm #33 Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:20:32 pm by razorsharptusk
Quote from: irishman on September 13, 2012, 11:19:10 am
They're big, strong, fast and about 4 deep at every position. No, I wouldn't say they're overrated. I guess it's possible to pull the upset but...

Same here...possible, but not at all likely.  And the haters out there, be it fans or media, are just waiting on the other foot to drop Saturday.  We lose Saturday and then they can say our SEC season is completely shot.  Believe me, we haven't seen anything yet.
GO HOGS!!

Dcace83

Judging by this thread you aren't the only idiot to have the wrong opinion of Bama. They will crush us Saturday. No two ways about it. Not that crushing Arkansas proves anything.
And if I had a gun, with two bullets, and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice. -Michael Scott

<--- I brought that avatar to Hogville. It's win I know.

wc550

It's hard to know a lot about any team after week 2, but they've shown more than anyone else.  So no, they are not overrated.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Dcace83 on September 13, 2012, 12:19:35 pm
Judging by this thread you aren't the only idiot to have the wrong opinion of Bama. They will crush us Saturday. No two ways about it. Not that crushing Arkansas proves anything.

Why do you HAVE to be a prick?
Go away, batin'

HotlantaHog

Agree Bama is not as strong as last year.

This game should be similar to the 2010 game in Fayetteville in which Arkansas has every chance to win.

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Never put Alabama and overrated in the same sentence. They are the champs, they've earned every billing they have, and they have dominated us for a while now. If we pull off a miracle somehow and I mean miracle, then next week you can talk about how overrated they are.

DoghouseHog2

Quote from: 56Hog on September 13, 2012, 11:20:24 am
Alabama is overated.

They will get away with it because there is still no team to challenge them if LSU keeps losing players and Arkansas can't find some coaching.

So you're saying they ARE over rated, but that there is no one that can challenge them.  Gotcha.
over and out.

cosmodrum

All the OP did was ask a fair question.

Some of you people need to take a deep breath. Maybe ride your bicycle around the block.

Or off a cliff, whatever.
Go away, batin'

RollHogTide

Overrated - I wonder?

I would be more inclined to say the team has evolved.  I believe their offense is their greatest strength this year.  IMO their defense is not even close to last year's defense.  Being a young defensive team, they will be more inclined to be bend; however, I believe the defense will continue to improve as the year goes on. 

It's early in the season - I always hate early season polls, they do more harm than good.

Hawg Balling

Sweet Jesus, do we have to do this "Alabama is overrated" crap every year? 

hoglady

Well I don't know how they can be overrated.
They finished last year #1.
They are ranked #1 this year - and after watching the Michigan game I think this years team may be better than last year. Especially, on the offensive side of the ball.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

code red

Quote from: hogphann on September 13, 2012, 11:44:06 am
yes as in this analysis is correct or yes that I am the only one that thinks they are a little overrated? Obviously I'm not the only one if you look at the responses on this thread
How can bama be overrated?  It is obvious to me they are the best team in the nation.  They didn't even have to throw the ball once to beat Michigan...not once??  They could have scored the same amount of points and run the football every down.  That is total domination.  No amount of sugar coating can diminish the fact that Bama will freaking crush us Saturday.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Dcace83

Quote from: code red on September 13, 2012, 12:39:32 pm
How can bama be overrated?  It is obvious to me they are the best team in the nation.  They didn't even have to throw the ball once to beat Michigan...not once??  They could have scored the same amount of points and run the football every down.  That is total domination.  No amount of sugar coating can diminish the fact that Bama will freaking crush us Saturday.

Better look out. You aren't aloud to call people out on this board. +1 to you for being able to accept the inevitable.
And if I had a gun, with two bullets, and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice. -Michael Scott

<--- I brought that avatar to Hogville. It's win I know.

hogphann

Quote from: AmaurosisHogax on September 13, 2012, 12:26:48 pm
Never put Alabama and overrated in the same sentence. They are the champs, they've earned every billing they have, and they have dominated us for a while now. If we pull off a miracle somehow and I mean miracle, then next week you can talk about how overrated they are.

Alabama was clearly overrated in 2010 when they were pre-season #1 but yet went on to lose 3 games.  Nuff said. Umad?

the_kosher_pig

They are over ranked/over rated.  LSU is better this year just like during the season last year (smite away again, I was still right then too).  Unfortunately, LSU now has a decent QB taking snaps.  They also have the deepest backfield in the country.  The "small"back is around 215 lbs.  The only reason they gave up touch downs to North Texas was because Reid went for the interception on two big plays. 
Washington game stats:
         WASH   LSU
1st Downs   12   24
Total Yards   183   437
Passing   157   195
Rushing   26   242
Penalties   11-74   5-43
3rd Down Conversions   4-16   7-12
4th Down Conversions   1-3   0-0
Turnovers   1   1
Possession   26:21   33:39

At one point in the 4th quarter LSU had them under 100 total yards, and -2 yards rushing. I think USC is over hyped this year.  After watching them I don't see them that high.  In my poll I'd go LSU, Bama, then Oregon (style points), then USC. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Dcace83 on September 13, 2012, 12:40:56 pm
Better look out. You aren't aloud to call people out on this board. +1 to you for being able to accept the inevitable.

Call people out? You take this the internet to seriously.

Also, you called anyone with another opinion idiots.

Go away, batin'

code red

Quote from: Dcace83 on September 13, 2012, 12:40:56 pm
Who did I call out???  That is my opinion.  I mentioned no player or coach or individual, Bama manhandled a Traditional College Powerhouse with there run game and that's all they needed.