Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Like Paul Petrino!!!!

Started by jpsand, August 14, 2012, 03:01:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jpsand

I have been following Paul and listening to him and I like him.  I am not in the inner circle to know what he knows and how he handles a team but I like his style.  He is good with the offense and if he were to be head coach I believe the staff would stay the way it is.  I know he is not the home run hire many want but I the love the offense and I believe we have our defense going the right way also.  If we could hire one of the best recruiters in the nation who could also help with the offense Paul should be fine at the head job.  My biggest fear is that we go backwards just to say we have a real head coach.  Keep the offense and the staff together with a number 1 recruiter and the sky is the limit.

arkfan81

I would like him to be our head coach as well. I think it all depends on this season. I would like to see him build a name for himself here at Arkansas
Have faith...

FaytownHog

Quote from: jpsand on August 14, 2012, 03:01:43 pm
I have been following Paul and listening to him and I like him.  I am not in the inner circle to know what he knows and how he handles a team but I like his style.  He is good with the offense and if he were to be head coach I believe the staff would stay the way it is.  I know he is not the home run hire many want but I the love the offense and I believe we have our defense going the right way also.  If we could hire one of the best recruiters in the nation who could also help with the offense Paul should be fine at the head job.  My biggest fear is that we go backwards just to say we have a real head coach.  Keep the offense and the staff together with a number 1 recruiter and the sky is the limit.
I'm in this corner too!

Dropkick

aaaaah, you said head job, hehe hehe

jpsand

HF#1

I've said from the start that I would support Paul Petrino 100%.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Rockpig5

Yes sir!!

twistitup

August 14, 2012, 04:01:48 pm #7 Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:05:01 pm by twistitup
I like Paul for the job....it would show the nation that although brother Bob f'ed up, we did not give up on the whole family tree.

Operation: Save The Family Name

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hawg Balling

I'll just defer to something I wrote the other day, as it's applicable (sans the last sentence) to this conversation:

Quote from: Hawg Balling on August 13, 2012, 11:27:10 am
I don't understand the obsession with keeping the staff together.  Can we make it through this year and have a great season?  Sure.  Can it last beyond that?  Probably not.  Bobby Petrino was what made this staff click and this program go, and the sum of the parts of his staff aren't going to give you Bobby Petrino results without him.  Plus, the surefire way to not get a great coach to come here is to dictate that he keep the current staff in place and not bring in his own people. 

elviscat

If we like the Petrino' Offense then Paul would be the man to continue the plan. I think he would be an excellent choice. Hire Paul.

hoghiker

A Petrino brother ain't bad, but if we're going with this line of thinking I'd like to have Lombardi's grandson. I'd even consider a Saban sibling if he's got one. Maybe not a sister. Landry always seemed a little stiff in a genetic sort of way. Not sure that would translate to college recruiting. Broyles has grand  kids. They'd have connections with the program, know football, and if they're anything like Frank, we know they could recruit. Can you imagine a staff made up from this pool. Look over on the Razorback sideline and see Lombardi, Landry, Saban, Broyles and yes Petrino. I could win on the Hill with that staff.

HogNdazs

As long as the offense did well this season I am on board for sure. I like him. I bet the players would like that too.

Although I don't think Long would fire John L and still hire in house but idk.

Potosihog

He doesn't have to fire JL.  He has a 10 month contract.

handicappedhog

The Boar War

What happens when we go up against (in recruiting and on the field) the creator with the disciple?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Hiring a proven assistant from within has worked for programs with established positive momentum. 

Patterson was an assistant of Francione's at TCU.
Although Dan Hawkins flamed out at CU, he was an assistant for Dirk Koetter at BSU before being promoted to HC when Koetter left.  Hawkins proceeded to go 53-11 in 5 years, that's just not riding out what Koetter left.
Peterson was Hawkins OC at Boise and has elevated the program even higher.

Paul may be ready, he may not, but if we see no drop off in performance on the offensive side of the ball I think he should get a long look.  I'm all for giving Haynes a look as well if the defense shows significan improvement.  We have 2 great young coordinators and if they do a great job this year I hope they will both be considered.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Rzback

Can Paul pick up and carry on with the offense where Bobby left off?
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Tarheelhawg

100 percent if he earns it this season. 

twistitup

August 14, 2012, 05:24:43 pm #19 Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:27:07 pm by twistitup
Quote from: The Boar War on August 14, 2012, 04:37:29 pm
What happens when we go up against (in recruiting and on the field) the creator with the disciple?

Players may prefer playing for the disciple...if they enjoy the game more, they will work harder and become more successful.

I get the feeling the players did not 'like' Bob P all that much, hopefully Paul will keep the Petrino offensive schemes, but not come with the unappealing attitude that Bob had.

Cave City Joe

CPP  that sounds good.  We'll know more after Bama
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

Hoggish1

You very well may have a winner there.  PP may be ready to step into a role he's been prepping for under the shadow of BP....

I know this—JLS may guide us for a year based on having a fine team thrown in his lap, but he is not the builder we need, long term.  God bless him for this year, though!!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: twistitup on August 14, 2012, 05:24:43 pm
Players may prefer playing for the disciple...if they enjoy the game more, they will work harder and become more successful.

I get the feeling the players did not 'like' Bob P all that much, hopefully Paul will keep the Petrino offensive schemes, but not come with the unappealing attitude that Bob had.

Yeah, I don't want a players coach necessarily but I don't want a total d!ck either.  Happy medium may be the best.  You know many times when the coach is fired regardless of circumstances the players are pissed, jump to his defense, etc.  Didn't see that with BP.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawgzinbowlz

JL has the luxury of watching PP and JLS in action. Petrino ball puts the rear ends in the seats, excites the recruits, excites the entire fan base, etc., etc. If we are highly successful PP would be a good choice either now or after the JLS run. Go Hogs ! ! ! !

Hoggish1

Quote from: hoghiker on August 14, 2012, 04:28:41 pm
A Petrino brother ain't bad, but if we're going with this line of thinking I'd like to have Lombardi's grandson. I'd even consider a Saban sibling if he's got one. Maybe not a sister. Landry always seemed a little stiff in a genetic sort of way. Not sure that would translate to college recruiting. Broyles has grand  kids. They'd have connections with the program, know football, and if they're anything like Frank, we know they could recruit. Can you imagine a staff made up from this pool. Look over on the Razorback sideline and see Lombardi, Landry, Saban, Broyles and yes Petrino. I could win on the Hill with that staff.

OK, fine, but no nutts..., OK?

HogWall Jackson

If he proves to be ready, then he deserves the shot. Right now, we have a few ballgames to win.

Tick Hog

I'm sorry but there is a lot more to running a major football program then just calling plays. Paul heck i like the guy hope he stays on as OC for years to come but I want a General at the top.

The Boar War

Quote from: Zeke_in_KC on August 14, 2012, 05:42:22 pm
I noticed that myself.

My issue with Paul has nothing to do with his last name but more to do with is last job: when the tools aren't in evidence, he tanks.  For any future consideration, the question shouldn't be about whether he can run this offense, the question is whether he can run one not built by a different coach.

You can only learn that by watching someone do it.  Personally, I'd rather watch him try to do it in the WAC.  There's not enough evidence currently available for me to believe he could do it in the SEC.

That's kind of how I feel as well.  Also there's no guarantee that this staff stays together (not a requirement for me but a reason some use for elevating Paul) if Paul is the head coach.  In fact if he's chosen over others it's less likely that they stay.  Then the question is who does a first time head coach put on his staff?

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Hawg Balling

Quote from: twistitup on August 14, 2012, 05:24:43 pm

Why would we be basing hiring decisions (not to mention it's one of the bigger ones in our history)  on who the current players like?  As Eastxhawg put in another thread, that's Short Term Thinking 101.  The players like him, wonderful.  Bobby Petrino is what made this program tick and - like I posted earlier - I don't get why our fan base has no end of trouble understanding that you're not going to get Bobby Petrino results without Bobby Petrino at the helm, no matter how you try to piece together the staff he left in place.  You think Alabama would be expecting the same Nick Saban results long term if they simply promoted Kirby Smart and kept Saban's old staff in place?   

Grunt

Quote from: Hawg Balling on August 14, 2012, 04:04:49 pm
I'll just defer to something I wrote the other day, as it's applicable (sans the last sentence) to this conversation:

Well, but i'm not sure. They had 4 years to learn from BP and most of them have been together that long. So maybe keeping the staff intact would have some merit.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

hawgwash

How about Saban's daughter?  I hear she's tough as nails.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 14, 2012, 05:36:38 pm
Yeah, I don't want a players coach necessarily but I don't want a total d!ck either.  Happy medium may be the best.  You know many times when the coach is fired regardless of circumstances the players are pissed, jump to his defense, etc.  Didn't see that with BP.

Here's the thing, I don't give a crap who the players like, and our coach (and fan base for that matter) shouldn't either.  I want someone who wins games.  I don't care if the players wouldn't have peed on Petrino if he were on fire, he had them in winning form on Saturdays.  I want the same out of a new staff, and I stress the word "new."

Grunt

Never know when that pooch kick gene might crop up.

CR7

Quote from: HogFan#1 on August 14, 2012, 03:38:45 pm
I've said from the start that I would support Paul Petrino 100%.

This.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Grunt on August 14, 2012, 06:12:25 pm
Well, but i'm not sure. They had 4 years to learn from BP and most of them have been together that long. So maybe keeping the staff intact would have some merit.

Keeping the staff intact is great for this year, but what about next year?  Are people seriously expecting us to churn out Bobby Petrino results in the long term with his old staff sans Bobby Petrino? 

If that's the case, then why is everyone so mad we fired him?  Seems to me that people get all up in arms about firing Petrino, only to turn around and claim we can replicate his system without him. 

dsims2k3

I thought everyone felt that he had the same downside that Garrick has.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Tim Harris

Quote from: elviscat on August 14, 2012, 04:21:20 pm
If we like the Petrino' Offense then Paul would be the man to continue the plan. I think he would be an excellent choice. Hire Paul.

Paul's offense was quite a bit different at Illinois.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: dsims2k3 on August 14, 2012, 06:23:04 pm
I thought everyone felt that he had the same downside that Garrick has.

The Paul Petrino love stems from the fact that a large portion of our fan base has no ability to see past 2012.  It's just Short Term Thinking 101, and it's permeated through our fan base since late April. 

Pig Worshipper

I am very much in favor of the possibility of Paul Petrino as head coach but I do want to see how our offense performs this season, particularly against SEC competition.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Hawg Balling on August 14, 2012, 06:33:57 pm
The Paul Petrino love stems from the fact that a large portion of our fan base has no ability to see past 2012.  It's just Short Term Thinking 101, and it's permeated through our fan base since late April. 

It is always that way on here. Same thing with basketball.  When their is an opening they always want someone from the NC team.

Tim Harris

What has the staff proven that makes people say we have to keep them?

Grunt

Quote from: Hawg Balling on August 14, 2012, 06:21:13 pm
Keeping the staff intact is great for this year, but what about next year?  Are people seriously expecting us to churn out Bobby Petrino results in the long term with his old staff sans Bobby Petrino? 

If that's the case, then why is everyone so mad we fired him?  Seems to me that people get all up in arms about firing Petrino, only to turn around and claim we can replicate his system without him. 
I wouldn't claim we could replicate his system without him but that's not why i'm pist about firing him. I just think firing BP was high-horse.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Zeke_in_KC on August 14, 2012, 06:39:55 pm
Because what happens, post Year Three, is that you've either won it all and put tons of folks on the road to the NFL or -- suddenly -- you can't recruit top notch athletes and the slide begins.  Narcissistic disciplinarians reach the mountain top, FAST, or implode.  (Some, do both.)

The XY axis is coaching and recruiting.  Scale of one to ten in each category?  If you get a nine coach who is a five recruiter you receive a winning area of 45 (Petrino).  If you get a seven coach who is a seven recruiter you receive a winning area of 49 (Miles).

It's called the Law of the Lid put out by leadership guru John Maxwell.

Bottom line?  There are different ways to lead.  Saban is, probably, an eight at both for a clear winner 64.

You can be feared, respected or liked.  Pick TWO.

The last two are more effective, long term.  BE STRATEGIC.

Saban is a narcissistic disciplinarian, and he owns a house on the mountain top. 

Houston Nutt put a ton of players in the NFL and his players loved him, but he never won anything of substance. 

Liking your coach is great for old team reunions and handing out life lessons, but we didn't pay Petrino just south of $4 million to pat backs and increase his Facebook friend count.  I don't care if our coach loses every popularity contest he enters as long as he wins football games.   

OTTER

I'm wanting to wait and see what this season brings.  I have serious doubts that the next HC will come from the promotion of a current assistant.  I just don't see that happening.  Not slamming anyone, and frankly they have done a great job including recruiting under a very tough situation, but I believe that this search is focusing on experienced, successful, head coaches, not assistants.   
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

cessna8667

Hire Bobby back, after this year.  There is no clone.

blyhog

If we get the chance to keep CPP I am all in for that dude!!Lets think for a moment "IF" and when the end of the season gets here.What exactly Paul will have possibly went through to get the job  FACT:1This wont be an easy situation for CPP,he will have to endure JLS(who Also WANTS THE JOB) who will be pointing "See Me See Me Im THE MAN"everytime he gets a chance if we win the BigGames.He will most likely(if he is a competitor as would any man in his position)try to suppress CPPs effectiveness.JLS is no fool,he knows that Paul is his main competition right now,so dont be suprised by JLS attempt to circle his own wagon. FACT 2: CPP will have to live down the naysayers that will not give him independent credit of BobbyP,and also the other Asst. that covet the opportunity will try to do all they can along with CPP to try & SHINE!! I for one am both excited &dubious!! If anyone has ever been in a battle with coworkers for a prominent position knows as I do,the longer this thing drags out the UGLIER it may get!!

twistitup

Quote from: Hawg Balling on August 14, 2012, 06:15:44 pm
Here's the thing, I don't give a crap who the players like,

This is not the 1950's.....what players think does matter. Recruits communicate with each other and with current players - if a coach is a complete prick he won't be able to recruit top players on a consistent basis.

It's called the internet, twitter, facebook, etc players talk now more than ever....coaches must win and the kids need to like them or it won't work LONG TERM. When a coach is not liked by the adminsitration and players it only takes ONE incident for the coach to be let go - ask Bob.

Hawg Balling

August 14, 2012, 07:18:35 pm #48 Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:21:06 pm by Hawg Balling
Quote from: twistitup on August 14, 2012, 07:12:03 pm
This is not the 1950's.....what players think does matter. Recruits communicate with each other and with current players - if a coach is a complete prick he won't be able to recruit top players on a consistent basis.

It's called the internet, twitter, facebook, etc players talk now more than ever....coaches must win and the kids need to like them or it won't work LONG TERM. When a coach is not liked by the adminsitration and players it only takes ONE incident for the coach to be let go - ask Bob.

Apparently four and five star guys haven't gotten the memo about Nick Saban.  Plus, Petrino did just fine without his players' respect, love, or admiration.  Nutt, however, did not.

Justifiable Hogicide

I like him too and would support him 100%.
But I doubt our AD will ever give him a fair consideration based on his scorch the earth attitude toward his brother.