Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Paul Petrino Confirms Brandon Mitchell at Wide Receiver

Started by CokeHog, July 26, 2012, 07:13:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CokeHog

In his interview today said Tyler and Brandon came to him with the idea and he agreed. Mitchell will meet with the QBs but work with Coach Cink on technique. He said he is too good an athlete and leader to keep off the field.

Also said Wingo and Johnson may shift and line up some at wide receiver.

He said we are going to be very good at the receiver position. Very confident!
Go Hogs!

AlmaHog2011

I heard him on the radio and he is VERY confident in the WRs. He did name about 3-4 newcomers that he expected to make an impact.

Cure

Paul Petrino is one of the best in the business. When it comes to coaching receivers, I am extremely excited to have him back. Finally, get to see our receivers working off the press.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

HogNdazs

Quote from: Cure on July 26, 2012, 07:20:34 pm
Paul Petrino is one of the best in the business. When it comes to coaching receivers, I am extremely excited to have him back. Finally, get to see our receivers working off the press.

Right? I'm such a fan of this guy and hope he does well without Bobby.

I hope we don't loose him after this season.

Uncommon

Don't know why we need Wingo and Johnson at receiver.  Oh well.  Paul knows best.  I believe these are all the true scholarship receivers:
1. Ryan Farr
2. Cobi Hamilton
3. Javontee Herndon
4. Julian Horton
5. Keante Minor
6. D'Arthur Cowan
7. Keon Hatcher
8. Eric Hawkins
9. Mekale McKay
10. Demetrius Wilson
11. Maybe Jeremy Sprinkle (WR, TE, or DE)

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Kick2Crash on July 26, 2012, 07:29:57 pm
Right? I'm such a fan of this guy and hope he does well without Bobby.

I hope we don't loose him after this season.

I hope we "loose" him during the season and let him make his own calls so that we don't "lose".

Calling All Hogs

This is good news it that it seems to confirm Brandon Allen must be kicking butt at QB.

Uncommon

Quote from: CallMeHog on July 26, 2012, 07:38:53 pm
This is good news.  It seems to confirm Brandon Allen must be kicking butt at QB.
No, it means Brandon Mitchell doesn't want to just be Tyler Wilson's back-up all year.  He wants to play more than one or two quarters in a game that's already been won.

jcworm

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on July 26, 2012, 07:30:09 pm
Don't know why we need Wingo and Johnson at receiver.  Oh well.  Paul knows best.  I believe these are all the true scholarship receivers:
1. Ryan Farr
2. Cobi Hamilton
3. Javontee Herndon
4. Julian Horton
5. Keante Minor
6. D'Arthur Cowan
7. Keon Hatcher
8. Eric Hawkins
9. Mekale McKay
10. Demetrius Wilson
Its all about feeding the studs. They are just trying to get their most dynamic and experienced players on the field as much as possible. We dont have time for growing pains from new guys we got to put forth every effort possible to make this year special!

Oklahawg

1. Ryan Farr
2. Cobi Hamilton
3. Javontee Herndon
4. Julian Horton
5. Keante Minor
6. D'Arthur Cowan
7. Keon Hatcher
8. Eric Hawkins
9. Mekale McKay
10. Demetrius Wilson

If Farr is a scholarship player its because he gets one from one of the sticky-finger casualties.

I applaud all of the moves - get your best players on the field as much as possible. Plus, if you have DJ and/or Wingo on the field at the same time as Knile then you increase your chances for confusion-creating shifts or reverses.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: jcworm on July 26, 2012, 07:45:07 pm
Its all about feeding the studs. They are just trying to get their most dynamic and experienced players on the field as much as possible. We dont have time for growing pains from new guys we got to put forth every effort possible to make this year special!

Beat me to it.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hoggish1

Quote from: CokeHog on July 26, 2012, 07:13:48 pm

Also said Wingo and Johnson may shift and line up some at wide receiver.

Go back to the drawing board with this statement.

online-with-swine

So would Brandon still be the third string or will some one else be groomed for that and second string next year.

Root66

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on July 26, 2012, 07:42:20 pm
No, it means Brandon Mitchell doesn't want to just be Tyler Wilson's back-up all year.  He wants to play more than one or two quarters in a game that's already been won.

And all the while I believed Paul Petrino. I guess I just heard wrong when he said... "he is too good an athlete and leader to keep off the field".

Hoggish1

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on July 26, 2012, 07:34:30 pm
I hope we "loose" him during the season and let him make his own calls so that we don't "lose".

Let's hope JLS cuts him loose on our SEC opponents and does't get in his way!

Uncommon

Quote from: Root66 on July 26, 2012, 07:49:56 pm
And all the while I believed Paul Petrino. I guess I just heard wrong when he said... "he is too good an athlete and leader to keep off the field".
That too.  I was just saying he wants to play more and that's why he wanted to practice and play at receiver.

CokeHog

Hoggish1, I get your point. I may not have stated that clearly. What I understood him to say is Wingo and Johnson may shift or go in motion and end up split out in the receiver position, not that they were switching them from the RB to the WR position full-time.

Thanks for clarifying.
Go Hogs!

swineology

Uncommon

Quote from: Jon (Oklahawg) T on July 26, 2012, 07:45:41 pm
If Farr is a scholarship player its because he gets one from one of the sticky-finger casualties.
He did I believe.  Tyler Gilbert, Maudrecus Humphrey, Andrew Peterson, and Marquel Wade lost their scholarships.  Ryan Farr, Jared Green, Austin Jones, and Kaelon Kelleybrew received scholarships.

56Hog

Don't know why we need Wingo and Johnson at receiver.  Oh well.  Paul knows best. 

What this suggests to me is that JLS & PP are confident enough of the Hogs depth behnad Davis at TB that they can spare DJ and Wingo at WR.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

jcworm

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on July 26, 2012, 08:11:41 pm
He did I believe.  Tyler Gilbert, Maudrecus Humphrey, Andrew Peterson, and Marquel Wade lost their scholarships.  Ryan Farr, Jared Green, Austin Jones, and Kaelon Kelleybrew received scholarships.
good to hear they got scholarships those are some good kids

choppedporkextrasauce

Coach Paul said this years freshman WR's have the ability to impact this team just as Joe, Jarius, Chris, Greg's class did.

Love the way he talk's up his players.

ballhog™

Quote from: 56Hog on July 26, 2012, 08:21:01 pm
What this suggests to me is that JLS & PP are confident enough of the Hogs depth behnad Davis at TB that they can spare DJ and Wingo at WR.
Quote from: CokeHog on July 26, 2012, 08:02:43 pm
Hoggish1, I get your point. I may not have stated that clearly. What I understood him to say is Wingo and Johnson may shift or go in motion and end up split out in the receiver position, not that they were switching them from the RB to the WR position full-time.

Thanks for clarifying.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

MM-gohogs

Quote from: Cure on July 26, 2012, 07:20:34 pm
Paul Petrino is the OC/QB coach...
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

The_Iceman

Root66

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on July 26, 2012, 07:53:06 pm
That too.  I was just saying he wants to play more and that's why he wanted to practice and play at receiver.

And as CallMeHog said...

This is good news it that it seems to confirm Brandon Allen must be kicking butt at QB.

or they wouldn't be moving Mitchell.

MM-gohogs

Quote from: 56Hog on July 26, 2012, 08:21:01 pm
There will still be some rotation at RB to give KD a breather, etc and DJ I assume would be the natural #2 as Wingo has never really figured out he is 6'3" 230 lbs and he runs like he's an octogenarian. Wingo's strength is in the passing game so that makes sense.

I don't think that it was meant that either would primarily be used at WR as it is being spoken that BM is moving to WR, but that DJ and Wingo are comfortable with their roles as RB and we'll see them in formations on the field to get our better playmakers in positions to make plays.
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

oldbear

I think its very exciting when the coaches are willing to let players move around some and create more combinations. I don't get the feeling that he's saying those guys are going to be full time receivers. They are simply adding combinations of players and sets that they believe will create match up problems for the teams we play. Mitchell is a great athlete with a good head and fantastic attitude. He needs to see the field.

Uncommon

Quote from: Root66 on July 26, 2012, 08:55:55 pm
And as CallMeHog said...

or they wouldn't be moving Mitchell.
They could move Mitchell to receiver and still keep him as the second string quarterback.

Porked Tongue

;)

Oklahawg

Great information. Thanks!

Root66

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on July 26, 2012, 08:58:07 pm
They could move Mitchell to receiver and still keep him as the second string quarterback.

They could but more likely the 3rd string back-up. And I see him as an incredible threat at Wide out.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Glad for those guys! 

Johnny America

God is not real.

Uncommon

Quote from: Root66 on July 26, 2012, 09:06:46 pm
They could but more likely the 3rd string back-up. And I see him as an incredible threat at Wide out.
You maybe right.  I wonder if we'll ever get a chance to see what Brandon Mitchell can do at quarterback or if he'll just be a WR for the rest of his career.

Uncommon

July 26, 2012, 09:51:02 pm #35 Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:54:37 pm by BeastBack 50
Quote from: Jon (Oklahawg) T on July 26, 2012, 09:05:43 pm
Great information. Thanks!
I believe I have the 85 scholarship players for this season if you want to stickie it up on Monday Morning Quarterback when practice starts August 2nd.

Uncommon

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on July 26, 2012, 09:51:02 pm
I believe I have the 85 scholarship players for this season if you want to stickie it up on Monday Morning Quarterback when practice starts August 2nd.
Or if anyone else wants a page of the 85 scholarship players sorted alphabetically and by the signing class they belong too.  Just PM me bros.

ScoutHawg

Considering who we have at QB I wouldn't mind seeing him play some WR he is too good an athlete imo to just stand on the sideline. 

I think these Guys are beginning to think better.  You get your best most vet team on the field every chance you get.  If its offense, do anything to confuse the D.  Putting Wingo and DJ on the field with Knile would put a D in a frenzy.  Add Mitchell and now you got 2 QBs, 3 RBs, and at least 4 receivers of some mix on any given play.  Add a little movement before the snap and you got a DC in heart attack mode on every play.  So long as we do not have the biggest most talented lines in the SEC, it is necessary to open up  the field and hit them where they ain't, always trying to get our best against their weakest area.  You put that much talent out there and we gonna get loose somewhere.

pedrothelion

They're getting this out in the press to make opponents prepare for it.  It's like a couple years ago where there were all these rumors in the off season about a special wild cat package for Mitchell and I they maybe showed it once the entire year.  I doubt we see him at WR against any SEC teams.

ark525

I LOVE the idea of Wingo at receiver.  He's got great hands and is much better in space than running through the line.  He's also a matchup problem for the average CB.

ScoutHawg

Quote from: pedrothelion on July 26, 2012, 10:38:59 pm
They're getting this out in the press to make opponents prepare for it.  It's like a couple years ago where there were all these rumors in the off season about a special wild cat package for Mitchell and I they maybe showed it once the entire year.  I doubt we see him at WR against any SEC teams.

I like that thinking though,  and even if we only see it a couple of times the moment he steps in the huddle the pass and possible throwing scenario come into play

hvsupastar

I could see him being used primarily in the redone. Back shoulder throw/ jump all situation. Amazing to me that Mitchell was talented enough to start at QB for any Arkansas team post Storner and pre Mallett, but on this team he may only start one year as a 5th year senior! And some people don't even think he'll start then, even though I'm not one of them
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

DEVIL DOG HOG

I can see it now. Mitchell on a reverse, throws down field to Hamilton. Touchdown Arkansas! Against Alabama.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on July 26, 2012, 07:34:30 pm

Have you ever filled out an ID 10 T form?

:razorback:  :razorback:    ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on July 27, 2012, 12:35:53 am
I can see it now. Mitchell on a reverse, throws down field to Hamilton. Touchdown Arkansas! Against Alabama.

SHHHHHH !!!!! Classified info on a need to know basis and Bama don't have the need.

:razorback: :razorback:   ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

southeasthog

Quote from: Jon (Oklahawg) T on July 26, 2012, 07:45:41 pm

Farr was a walk on saftey last season. I noticed that he got a lot of mop up duty in our first couple of games.

16    Ryan Farr  S  6-1  195  Jr.  Little Rock, Ark. (UAPB) (Central Arkansas Christian) 2011

Uncommon

Quote from: southeasthog on July 27, 2012, 06:38:04 am
Farr was a walk on saftey last season. I noticed that he got a lot of mop up duty in our first couple of games.

16    Ryan Farr  S  6-1  195  Jr.  Little Rock, Ark. (UAPB) (Central Arkansas Christian) 2011
He's now playing WR.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$