• 391,944 Topics
• 22,131 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you grill/Smoke this week???  (Read 64723 times)

kibster

• Hogvillian
Re: What did you grill/Smoke this week???
« Reply #800 on: January 15, 2018, 03:12:57 pm »

Here you go, hot wings on the egg.  I put together a dipping sauce we dip them in in the house. 

Looks great. How do you do your wings?

Looks great, think I'm gonna have to invest into one of those eggs.

They are great, but are completely different than any other grill or smoker I have cooked in.

Boarcephus

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #801 on: January 15, 2018, 03:54:56 pm »

Looks great. How do you do your wings?

The way that we like them is to heat the egg up to 325 or so, coat the wings with Zatarain's Creole seasoning, cook till done then coat them in mixture of Sweet Baby Rays Hot Wing Wing Sauce and Ranch dressing.  Meant to coat some of them with  Parmesan cheese but flat forgot.   What's great about the wings you do is you can coat them with whatever flavor you want to.  Super easy to do.  BTW, I do my wings skin on so if you do it this way, need to keep and eye on because that skin will cause the fire to flare up. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:15:05 pm by Boarcephus »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Boarcephus

« Reply #802 on: January 15, 2018, 03:58:34 pm »

Looks great, think I'm gonna have to invest into one of those eggs.

One of the great things, IMO, about the eggs is you can't wear them out.  I've had mine for 8-10 years, use the hell out of it and the only thing I've had to replace is a fire grate last year and it cost me $20.  If you can swallow the cost of one those things, and they are pricey, you'll never regret buying one. 

jacobp

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #803 on: January 15, 2018, 07:23:00 pm »

Nm

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #804 on: January 19, 2018, 03:20:42 pm »

Thanks for that information Boarcephus   My Weber is hitting 5 years and I replaced the top grate cause I neglected it and the orginal one got all rusty.

99toLife

• Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #805 on: January 19, 2018, 05:36:47 pm »

One of the great things, IMO, about the eggs is you can't wear them out.  I've had mine for 8-10 years, use the hell out of it and the only thing I've had to replace is a fire grate last year and it cost me $20.  If you can swallow the cost of one those things, and they are pricey, you'll never regret buying one.

You are correct, They are STUPID expensive, I won one in a golf tournament. Almost sold it that night, I kept it and it is killer. I've had it 10 years and use the hell out of it. Not sure it will ever wear out. Like you said maybe a new grate every 10 years ... 

Boarcephus

« Reply #806 on: January 19, 2018, 07:53:16 pm »

You are correct, They are STUPID expensive, I won one in a golf tournament. Almost sold it that night, I kept it and it is killer. I've had it 10 years and use the hell out of it. Not sure it will ever wear out. Like you said maybe a new grate every 10 years ... 

I got tired of burning grills up.  You can drop $200 on a grill and burn it up in 2-3 years.  The last one I bought before the egg was one from the gas company that hooks into the gas line.  Dropped $500 on it and started replacing burners, grills, etc within the first 2-3 years.  My brother talked me into the egg, sold the wife on it (one hell of a hard sell I might add) and have never looked back.  I'd forgotten how good the taste of meat cooked over charcoal was compared to gas. 

kibster

• Hogvillian
« Reply #807 on: January 20, 2018, 01:54:10 pm »

Not grilling this weekend. In NOLA for a food trip.

hogbud

• Senior
« Reply #808 on: January 20, 2018, 09:35:44 pm »

Cuban sandwiches from pork loin on egg....usually not a sandwich fan but was a big hit

netteltonhog

• Senior
« Reply #809 on: January 21, 2018, 08:17:44 am »

Iíve had a Smokin Tex electric smoker for years and love it. I purchased a Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet grill last fall to replace my gas grill and never use the smoker except for salmon anymore...  The pellet grill is a no brainer for just about everything from slow cooking brisket and butts, to searing steaks...  Hands down best grill Iíve ever owned...

Boarcephus

« Reply #810 on: January 21, 2018, 09:28:38 am »

Not grilling this weekend. In NOLA for a food trip.

Headed there in about 3 weeks.  Post where you went.  Have only been to NO once and that was leaving out on a cruise so we didn't have much time.  Looking forward to your reports because you know good food. 

BR

• Chaos, panic, & disorder -- my work here is done.
    • BR's Home Page
« Reply #811 on: January 21, 2018, 10:58:15 am »

Getting a Tri-Tip ready

Boarcephus

« Reply #812 on: January 21, 2018, 12:11:40 pm »

Getting a Tri-Tip ready

Never cooked one.  Guess I need to try if I can find one. 

kibster

• Hogvillian
« Reply #813 on: January 22, 2018, 05:49:55 pm »

Headed there in about 3 weeks.  Post where you went.  Have only been to NO once and that was leaving out on a cruise so we didn't have much time.  Looking forward to your reports because you know good food. 

I was traveling with some food writers and we hit 16 spots in 40 hours.  It was a tough job, but someone had to do it. Here are the highlights

Turkey and the Wolf - new sandwich shop and recently won best new restaurant in the country.  I can see why.  It is only open 11-5, but it was the best thing I had all weekend. Collard Green Melt - it tastes like the best damn ruben you have ever had....and no meat.  Just insane.

Felix's Oysters - skip the line at Acme and walk across the street and get the chargrilled oysters.

Cafe Du Monde - touristy, yes.  But also a staple and pretty damn good.

Spitfire Coffee - I always stop here while in the quarter.  They serve coffee from some of the top roasters in the country.

District Donuts - Get the cinnamon roll.  They brulee the top and it is ridiculous. 

Cochon Butcher - Get the Le Pig Mac.  Like a big mac except made with pork patties (and actually good).  Also take home some of their sausages from their meat counter.  I bought 10lbs of andouille because their's is what I use for my gumbo

Also had a very interesting dinner at Maypop.  It is asian/creaole fusion and very good.

Boarcephus

« Reply #814 on: January 22, 2018, 06:55:23 pm »

I was traveling with some food writers and we hit 16 spots in 40 hours.  It was a tough job, but someone had to do it. Here are the highlights

Turkey and the Wolf - new sandwich shop and recently won best new restaurant in the country.  I can see why.  It is only open 11-5, but it was the best thing I had all weekend. Collard Green Melt - it tastes like the best damn ruben you have ever had....and no meat.  Just insane.

Felix's Oysters - skip the line at Acme and walk across the street and get the chargrilled oysters.

Spitfire Coffee - I always stop here while in the quarter.  They serve coffee from some of the top roasters in the country.

District Donuts - Get the cinnamon roll.  They brulee the top and it is ridiculous. 

Cochon Butcher - Get the Le Pig Mac.  Like a big mac except made with pork patties (and actually good).  Also take home some of their sausages from their meat counter.  I bought 10lbs of andouille because their's is what I use for my gumbo

Also had a very interesting dinner at Maypop.  It is asian/creaole fusion and very good.

Appreciate it.  I'll forward this on and I'll wager we'll hit Felix's for sure and maybe a couple of the others.  Thanks!

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #815 on: January 25, 2018, 01:15:47 pm »

Thanks for the update.

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Today, we are teaching poodles how to fly...
« Reply #816 on: January 25, 2018, 05:05:27 pm »

Agree on Felix's. Also, Lee Harvey Oswald was a bus boy there, so there's that.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #817 on: January 25, 2018, 09:41:22 pm »

We took an ill advised family trip to New Orleans when I was a teen.  I don't think it hit my parents what a darn ass idea walking around New Orleans with 2 kids and a teenager was until they saw the guys hosing vomit down the drains on Bourbon St. at 7am on a Tuesday.

BR

• BR's Home Page
« Reply #818 on: January 26, 2018, 06:54:05 am »

I'm blessed to be part of 10 Teams in the Belizan version of the American Royal next Tuesday.  Been cooking down there at a Bar for 7 years on Super Bowl Sunday, This year we qualified for the BBQ Cookoff. 

Please Check out & join our Food page at:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/brstikibarfoodpage/

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #819 on: January 30, 2018, 01:23:45 am »

A friend invited me over yesterday for smoked Turkey. He infused it with a pound of butter and six jalapeŮos purťed and strained. Wow!

Boarcephus

« Reply #820 on: January 30, 2018, 06:29:41 am »

I'm blessed to be part of 10 Teams in the Belizan version of the American Royal next Tuesday.  Been cooking down there at a Bar for 7 years on Super Bowl Sunday, This year we qualified for the BBQ Cookoff. 

Please Check out & join our Food page at:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/brstikibarfoodpage/

That's neat.  What do you guys cook on because I doubt you hauled down your smokers?

kibster

• Hogvillian
« Reply #821 on: January 30, 2018, 04:12:08 pm »

A friend invited me over yesterday for smoked Turkey. He infused it with a pound of butter and six jalapeŮos purťed and strained. Wow!

was it very spicy?

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #822 on: January 30, 2018, 04:29:34 pm »

was it very spicy?

It didnít make you cry or sweat, but it was pleasantly spicy. Just maybe a degree above Popeyes Chicken.

99toLife

• Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #823 on: January 30, 2018, 04:35:03 pm »

Have you cooked in the American Royal? That contest is by far the biggest in the country.

If you like BBQ you gotta go at least once.

BR

• BR's Home Page
« Reply #824 on: January 31, 2018, 08:36:40 pm »

Have you cooked in the American Royal? That contest is by far the biggest in the country.

If you like BBQ you gotta go at least once.
yes a couple of times, been for at least 15 years

BR

• BR's Home Page
« Reply #825 on: February 02, 2018, 07:07:07 am »

Dinner tonight with conch fritters and some fresh veggies.

Boarcephus

« Reply #826 on: February 02, 2018, 08:06:11 am »

What's in the plastic bag?

BR

• BR's Home Page
« Reply #827 on: February 02, 2018, 08:21:56 am »

What's in the plastic bag?
conch meat... for fritters.

Boarcephus

« Reply #828 on: February 02, 2018, 08:41:54 am »

conch meat... for fritters.

Those are good.  It would be fun to rent a house down there somewhere where you could actually snorkel out and spear a lobster or snapper, grab a conch and cook it on the grill.  We took a trip one year where I saw a guy do that and I've wanted to do it ever since. 

Boarcephus

« Reply #829 on: February 16, 2018, 11:10:12 am »

Hey Kibster, we just got back from Mardi Gras and we tried Felix's and this was about a sorry a place as I've ever eaten.  We had the gumbo, chargrilled oysters and BBQ Shrimp so we got a pretty good cross section and there was not a single item we got we'd reorder.  When I ordered a BBQ shrimp in NO, I was expecting the garlicy, spicy dish you use bread to sop up the juice with but what we got was basically shrimp in some kind of BBQ sauce.  Enjoy reading your reviews but this didn't work out for us.  Carry on. 

kibster

• Hogvillian
« Reply #830 on: February 18, 2018, 12:52:36 pm »

Hey Kibster, we just got back from Mardi Gras and we tried Felix's and this was about a sorry a place as I've ever eaten.  We had the gumbo, chargrilled oysters and BBQ Shrimp so we got a pretty good cross section and there was not a single item we got we'd reorder.  When I ordered a BBQ shrimp in NO, I was expecting the garlicy, spicy dish you use bread to sop up the juice with but what we got was basically shrimp in some kind of BBQ sauce.  Enjoy reading your reviews but this didn't work out for us.  Carry on. 

But how were the chargrilled oysters?  I really hated their gumbo too. Sorry it didnít work out.

And while I didnít cook this, this is what I ate yesterday:  https://instagram.com/p/BfUEzu0golw/

Boarcephus

« Reply #831 on: February 18, 2018, 02:30:43 pm »

But how were the chargrilled oysters?  I really hated their gumbo too. Sorry it didnít work out.

And while I didnít cook this, this is what I ate yesterday:  https://instagram.com/p/BfUEzu0golw/

No biggie!  ;)  There was nothing to the oysters, just basically threw them on the grill and cooked them, no toppings, nothing.  They seated us at first at the bar where they were shucking oysters and you now how oysters look when they come in a burlap bag?  They're covered in mud and these were what they were serving for oysters on the half shell and I didn't want to take a chance on eating them raw.  I was still craving food cajun food so we had the couple we went with over yesterday and I made gumbo and BBQ shrimp!  Keep up the good work.:) 

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #832 on: February 21, 2018, 10:59:26 am »

The Grill just sitting and waiting cause the bride still so sick she not eating enough to grill.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas