Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cox finally starting to hit at Memphis

Started by tigercardfan, July 02, 2012, 02:49:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercardfan

I didn't see a thread on this so sorry if already posted but I know alot of Arkansas fans are also Cardinals fans so I thought you guys would like to know that it looks like Zack Cox is finally hitting at Memphis.  He got off to a terrible start at Memphis just like he did at every other stop in the minors; but at every other stop he eventually turned it around and it looks like he has at Memphis to with a .377 batting average with 2 homeruns and 12 rbi's for the Month of June.  Hope he can keep it up in the 2nd half of the season.

Blutoblutarsky

Did they plan on him being with the big club this year? Or was that next year?

Horsesrus

I don't see him coming up this year unless it's September when they expand the rosters.  I don't know about next year either.  Freese is locked in at third.  At first you have Craig, Berkman when he comes back from injury and Matt Carpenter, who can play at several positions.  Descalso can also play several positions including backing up Freese at third.  I don't know if Cox can play other positions but if he wants a utility role with the Cardinals it would really benefit him.  Matt Adams is also at Memphis and is the future at first base with Craig also able to play in the outfield. 

Word around St Louis has not been positive regarding Cox, but hopefully this turnaround in form turns things for the better.

dbrddr

with depth virtually everywhere in the Cardinals' infield, you've gotta think Cox will be the first top Card prospect to be traded, right? (as little as I want to see it)

Horsesrus

Yes, but there's not a lot of value right now after his horrible start.  If he keeps improving than he would likely be the chip to get some pitching help by the trade deadline.  Adams would be more value but they don't want to trade him and their two stud minor league starters are almost off limits as well.

WhenPigsFly

You would think that if he could play 2B, the Cards would be grooming him there.   That's one spot on the IF they really could use some help.

Horsesrus

They do need help there, but Cox would have to prove to be better than what they have in Descalso, Tyler Greene and Schumaker.  Greene is a source of great frustration as he has the appearance of being a star, but the results just aren't there and his chances are numbered to prove himself.  Schumaker has been a good versatile piece at a fair price but his defense is lacking on the infield.  Descalso's glove and versatility will keep him on the roster for a long time even if his hitting isn't impressive.  There's always a position where you need to save money and second base has  been that spot for the Cardinals for several years. 

Scott7703

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on July 03, 2012, 10:57:19 am
You would think that if he could play 2B, the Cards would be grooming him there.   That's one spot on the IF they really could use some help.

Kolten Wong is the future 2nd baseman for the Cards. He has absolutely torn it up both years in the minors and has a bright future ahead.

bsking

Rule of thumb.  Don't trade guys that will come back to hurt you.  A perfect example is Clint Robinson in Omaha.  He's blocked for...ever, or so everyone thought.  And KC refuses to trade him even though he has a really high value. 

And there's a lot of talk about guys being "locked in".  No one on that infield is "locked in".  Freese seems to be the closest but he's still a sub .300 hitter with limited power, especially from the 3B position.  There are younger, higher upside guys that put up better numbers than that that early in their careers and end up flopping.

All in all, if Zack keeps hitting, he'll find a spot.  He's struggled after being moved up at every level but once he's got his feet wet he's raked.  He's a professional hitter and I see him having a long MLB career.

HawgsAreUsCWS

You really hope to see a kid like this make it. I've heard stories about his work ethic, and it would be gratifying to see it rewarded.

bsking

Zack is still raking.  He's hitting over .400 in the last 2 weeks.

yraciv

Quote from: bsking on July 04, 2012, 12:55:31 am
Rule of thumb.  Don't trade guys that will come back to hurt you.  A perfect example is Clint Robinson in Omaha.  He's blocked for...ever, or so everyone thought.  And KC refuses to trade him even though he has a really high value. 

And there's a lot of talk about guys being "locked in".  No one on that infield is "locked in".  Freese seems to be the closest but he's still a sub .300 hitter with limited power, especially from the 3B position.  There are younger, higher upside guys that put up better numbers than that that early in their careers and end up flopping.

All in all, if Zack keeps hitting, he'll find a spot.  He's struggled after being moved up at every level but once he's got his feet wet he's raked.  He's a professional hitter and I see him having a long MLB career.

I would have traded Robinson by this point. The Royals haven't traded him because they are never in a position to make the postseason, but they sure could use a number of things that a Robinson package could get them.  I don't buy into the, don't let them beat you down the road. Trade him to the other league and I highly doubt Clint Robinson beats you one time in his career. I know your in scouting and you probably savor prospects, and I somewhat do to a point, but guys that are obviously blocked and ready to perform in the major leagues should be traded so you can help yourself and that player.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

cbcpac40

Traded to MIA. . .guess there goes the answer on where he fits with the Cardinals.