Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trevor Bauer's Rookie Mistake

Started by ucahogfan, June 29, 2012, 03:09:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

After throwing the 1st strike of his ML career to Michael Bourn of the Braves, he threw the ball into the Atlanta dugout instead of his own.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/arizona-trevor-bauer-tosses-special-ball-wrong-dugout-153036445--mlb.html

Also, here is a short video of his pregame warmup antics.  He has to be long-tossing at least 300 and probably closer to 400 feet.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22662767&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_22662767&v=3

bsking

Yeah.  He warms up for about an hour and a half before starts.  I can promise you that AZ will have that toned down soon.

Chief_Osceola

He is a HUGE proponent of long-tossing.  I believe he told Arizona that if they tried to tone down his warmup routine and long-tossing, that he didn't want them to draft him.  His argument is that long-tossing is what allows his velocity to stay where it's at, and if that's taken away that he'll lose velocity and thus become less effective.  I tend to agree with Bauer.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Chief_Osceola on July 06, 2012, 10:54:21 am
He is a HUGE proponent of long-tossing.  I believe he told Arizona that if they tried to tone down his warmup routine and long-tossing, that he didn't want them to draft him.  His argument is that long-tossing is what allows his velocity to stay where it's at, and if that's taken away that he'll lose velocity and thus become less effective.  I tend to agree with Bauer.
I'm a huge proponent of long-tossing as well.  There would be times on days that I started in high school that I was long-tossing close to 300 feet.  It is the best way to build arm strength and keep velo up.  I read an article recently about how some teams have their farm system on a throwing program that was designed for pitchers coming off Tommy John (Pirates were one of the main ones).  It is called the 120 system I think.  If I can find the article again, I'll post it.  It was really interesting to read.  I enjoy watching pitchers being able to warm up how they choose to and I think long-toss is one of the best ways to get your arm truly loose before an outing.

Chief_Osceola

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 06, 2012, 11:05:23 am
I'm a huge proponent of long-tossing as well.  There would be times on days that I started in high school that I was long-tossing close to 300 feet.  It is the best way to build arm strength and keep velo up.  I read an article recently about how some teams have their farm system on a throwing program that was designed for pitchers coming off Tommy John (Pirates were one of the main ones).  It is called the 120 system I think.  If I can find the article again, I'll post it.  It was really interesting to read.  I enjoy watching pitchers being able to warm up how they choose to and I think long-toss is one of the best ways to get your arm truly loose before an outing.

Agree completely.  I think I've seen the article you mentioned, and I've done some considerable research into the merits of a good long-toss program.  I've implemented a program into my son's USSSA team and have seen improvements in velocity and stamina across the board.  The biggest issue I see is when players don't do the program correctly, i.e. not throwing with good mechanics or overdoing it, whether by throwing too much or at too great a distance too soon.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Chief_Osceola on July 06, 2012, 11:22:43 am
Agree completely.  I think I've seen the article you mentioned, and I've done some considerable research into the merits of a good long-toss program.  I've implemented a program into my son's USSSA team and have seen improvements in velocity and stamina across the board.  The biggest issue I see is when players don't do the program correctly, i.e. not throwing with good mechanics or overdoing it, whether by throwing too much or at too great a distance too soon.
I agree about being worried about how the mechanics are done.  When I long-tossed, I kept it at a range I could reach in the air on a line.  I know rainbows for the long-toss will increase arm strength some, but the real value of long-toss IMO is when you throw as far as you can on a line.  In Bauer's warmup video, his long-toss has a little rainbow on it, but he is throwing it so far it has too.  He is throwing it on a line for that distance.  My sophomore year I was throwing 78-80, and started a good long toss program and was 82-84 as a junior and 86-88 my senior year.  A good long-toss program really helps.