• 27,303 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:FootballBasketball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON!Ugly Uncle Show
 Two Cents Radio 
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In college baseball, can the pitcher bat or does there have to be a DH?  (Read 1305 times)

Anon2

• Hogvillian
  • I'm a llama!

Just wondering. 

JONAS

• All-American Hogvillian

I think it is up to the coach.  Not 100% sure though.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

sugartownhog

• Bench Warmer

I was thinking, and I may be wrong, that you could bat you're pitcher but he was listed as the pitcher.

What that means is if the pitcher is pulled the DH is no longer available meaning all of you're pitchers must bat from that point forward.

In essence, if you start with a DH you can have a DH in the lineup throughout, of you don't, you're stuck with a pitcher... whether he can hit or not.

sir-pigs-a-lot

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I like Big Mike and I cannot lie

The pitcher position can bat.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:35:05 am by sir-pigs-a-lot »

Clax10

• Senior
  • Teaching him early!

See Brett Eibner.

GAHOG

• Bench Warmer
  • Hogville.net

The pitcher can bat and, therefore, the lineup could have only 9 players listed (no DH). The pitcher can also be the pitcher/DH. When the starting pitcher/DH is removed from the game as a pitcher, he can stay as the DH and the relief pitcher can be added to the lineup (10 players total).

chiefsfan

• Gold Hogvillian
  • ASU fan here for laughs and the college baseball.

The pitcher can bat and, therefore, the lineup could have only 9 players listed (no DH). The pitcher can also be the pitcher/DH. When the starting pitcher/DH is removed from the game as a pitcher, he can stay as the DH and the relief pitcher can be added to the lineup (10 players total).

This is correct, this is the rule that is unique to college.  Once a pitcher leaves, the coach has the option of keeping him as the DH, but he must inform the umpire prior to taking him out of the game, almost like a double switch.

mhuff

I was thinking, and I may be wrong, that you could bat you're pitcher but he was listed as the pitcher.

What that means is if the pitcher is pulled the DH is no longer available meaning all of you're pitchers must bat from that point forward.

In essence, if you start with a DH you can have a DH in the lineup throughout, of you don't, you're stuck with a pitcher... whether he can hit or not.

Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the original post Anon2   

+1
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:05:21 pm by mhuff »

ListenHereMister

• Senior

Wonder if Michael Roth will bat today for USC?

mhuff

See Brett Eibner.

Just the player I was thinking about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Partnered with USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas