• 382,514 Topics
• 21,391 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Good read about Fayetteville in USA Today  (Read 5384 times)

Deepwoods

• Senior
Good read about Fayetteville in USA Today
« on: June 12, 2012, 07:16:48 pm »

Posted here b/c it's a good thing for recruits to read. Maybe it should be posted everywhere. =)

http://www.usatodayeducate.com/staging/index.php/campuslife/explore-what-makes-your-college-town-unique

razorbackcpa

• Senior
Re: Good read about Fayetteville in USA Today
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:46:58 pm »

They need to stop telling people about this place. Otherwise people will move here and ruin it.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Deepwoods

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:59:13 pm »

They need to stop telling people about this place. Otherwise people will move here and ruin it.

True.

uncle bubs

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:17:11 pm »

I'd have to agree. It's a super unique place as it stands today. I hope it stays that way.

pigzwillrise

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:18:52 pm »

I'd have to agree. It's a super unique place as it stands today. I hope it stays that way.
As it stands, it's a nice little town and very unique.  But it hasn't been much of a draw for recruits... ever.  It's a little too rural and small to be an asset in recruiting... it may even be a small liability because it's in the middle of no where.

IronHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • AIMED AT YOU!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 10:27:09 pm »

Posted here b/c it's a good thing for recruits to read. Maybe it should be posted everywhere. =)

http://www.usatodayeducate.com/staging/index.php/campuslife/explore-what-makes-your-college-town-unique

Unless Albert Djoclinton can play middle linebacker I could care less what he thinks about his college experience.......

The best of the best rarely want to live there........ major problem for the football program.

Ham Ham Pigelow

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 12:46:17 am »

As it stands, it's a nice little town and very unique.  But it hasn't been much of a draw for recruits... ever.  It's a little too rural and small to be an asset in recruiting... it may even be a small liability because it's in the middle of no where.
Auburn, Clemson, College Station, and Blacksburg could all use the same line. Arkansas just hasn't had a dynamic recruiter in a while.

hard_reign2004

• Senior
  • WPS
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 04:59:06 am »

Auburn, Clemson, College Station, and Blacksburg could all use the same line. Arkansas just hasn't had a dynamic recruiter in a while.

i think his last line is the most important.  It is in the middle of no where.  You look at the other colleges you showed and they have large cities and beaches near them.  Arkansas has Oklahoma....  and no body WANTS to go to Oklahoma...

johnsonswitch

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 10:26:57 am »

Too late for that.

Berno

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 10:35:28 am »

i think his last line is the most important.  It is in the middle of no where.  You look at the other colleges you showed and they have large cities and beaches near them.  Arkansas has Oklahoma....  and no body WANTS to go to Oklahoma...

Maybe we need to start recruiting more outdoorsy players. "You like mountains? We got lots of mountains. You like rivers and lakes? We got those too"

DLUXHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 10:38:59 am »

Anyone who doesn't think NWA is one of the most beautiful, unique spots in the continental US is simply insane......... :razorback:

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 11:07:27 am »

If being close to a beach and being in or having a big city close by was all it took then there are several colleges that should have multiple NC's that don't have even top ranked programs historically. The beach is not a factor to all players no moreso than a big city. The coach, program, facilities, family ties, educational offering, etc. are as much an attraction IF not moreso than a beach or big city to players. Each player is unique in some way as to what they want in a school. Timing can also be important.
So if nobdy wants to go to the state of Oklahomo then explain why OU has such good athletic programs. Please don't say because it's close to Oklahomo City. I've been there quite a bit. It isn't anything to write home about.
I can name numerous football and basketball players from out of state that came to Fayetteville primarily due to the coach. Then they fell in love with Fayetteville. That is true of a lot of players at a lot of schools not close to a big city or beach.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 11:11:35 am »

Maybe we need to start recruiting more outdoorsy players. "You like mountains? We got lots of mountains. You like rivers and lakes? We got those too"

Certain players we have had in the past actually mentioned that in their recruiting. ALL of our coaches past and present say if they can get a recruit to visit the campus and Fayetteville then they have a chance to get them.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 11:12:59 am »

Some of those towns listed as the "top" are no better than Fayetteville and aren't even a prototypical college town.

RebelAt

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 12:01:23 pm »

This is what happened to my hometown, Charlottesville, Virginia.  For a decade straight in the 90s (and into the 2000s) it was repeatedly listed as a great place to live, Top Ten blah blah blah, and now it's full up and overcrowded.  Fields are turning into subdivisions, ten minute drives have turned into 20 to 30 minute drives, and Heaven help you if you want a parking spot...etc...etc.   One reason I love Fayetteville is that it reminds me a lot of what I grew up with, I'll go bonkers if it goes to ruin, too.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 12:37:29 pm »

This is what happened to my hometown, Charlottesville, Virginia.  For a decade straight in the 90s (and into the 2000s) it was repeatedly listed as a great place to live, Top Ten blah blah blah, and now it's full up and overcrowded.  Fields are turning into subdivisions, ten minute drives have turned into 20 to 30 minute drives, and Heaven help you if you want a parking spot...etc...etc.   One reason I love Fayetteville is that it reminds me a lot of what I grew up with, I'll go bonkers if it goes to ruin, too.

If you liked Charlottesville back then you would have loved Fayetteville back then. It made some of those lists as well.

IronHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • AIMED AT YOU!
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 12:41:36 pm »

Anyone who doesn't think NWA is one of the most beautiful, unique spots in the continental US is simply insane......... :razorback:

Anyone that thinks a "dynamic" recruiter is going to move the Ozark plateau and get tons of top tier deep south players to move to NWA is off their rocker.  Not gonna happen.  Even if you can get OK, Tx, and Memphis players to come they are not quite as good as those that come from the heart of the SEC.

It is a watered down Big 12 school playing in the SEC....... and BP is gone.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 05:38:31 pm »

Anyone that thinks a "dynamic" recruiter is going to move the Ozark plateau and get tons of top tier deep south players to move to NWA is off their rocker.  Not gonna happen.  Even if you can get OK, Tx, and Memphis players to come they are not quite as good as those that come from the heart of the SEC.

That time of the month again huh...............

IronHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • AIMED AT YOU!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 06:09:49 pm »

That time of the month again huh...............

Better than full time denial.

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 10:41:22 pm »

If only there were more BBQ joints, Fayetteville would be perfect.

(sarcasm off)

HogBreath

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 08:35:19 am »

Fayetteville & NWA in general, are unique and beautiful areas for sure.  But just as certain, they are fairly remote and difficult to access.  The university would have fared better being located in some place like Hope or Forrest City or Fort Smith, if not in Little Rock.  I'll never forget my first trip thru the Boston Mountains..sheesh..it was freakin crazy on old Hwy. 71 going north from Fort Smith.

Redhogs

• Time to cruise.
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 01:58:53 pm »

Already on the way...NOTHING like it was when we moved here in 1995...just watching the local news tells you that....

Redhogs

• Time to cruise.
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 02:01:31 pm »

Fayetteville & NWA in general, are unique and beautiful areas for sure.  But just as certain, they are fairly remote and difficult to access.  The university would have fared better being located in some place like Hope or Forrest City or Fort Smith, if not in Little Rock.  I'll never forget my first trip thru the Boston Mountains..sheesh..it was freakin crazy on old Hwy. 71 going north from Fort Smith.
Hope...really?...you have got to be kidding...540 has changed everything...

uncle bubs

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 02:05:32 pm »

There's one in every crowd. You'll get over it.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 02:06:54 pm »

Those days are over. I cen get from my house in Bartlett, TN and now drive all the way on an Interstate or go to the airport and with one stop fly by a jet plane all the way to the new airport. The nice thing is the views from I-540 are pretty good just like old 71.

uncle bubs

• Senior
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 09:22:19 pm »

Those days are over. I cen get from my house in Bartlett, TN and now drive all the way on an Interstate or go to the airport and with one stop fly by a jet plane all the way to the new airport. The nice thing is the views from I-540 are pretty good just like old 71.
540 is one of the most beautiful drives I've ever seen. What makes it even better is it's national forest, and whats not national forest will have very limited growth because of the mountains.

IronHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • AIMED AT YOU!
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 09:23:27 pm »

The problem is when you get there it is still NWA.

Kids from the deep south don't wanna play for a Big 12 school.

uncle bubs

• Senior
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 09:25:36 pm »

Thats why they'd pick Arkansas.

IronHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • AIMED AT YOU!
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 09:26:58 pm »

Thats why they'd pick Arkansas.

Uh, not so far.

Elite D1 football players don't want to live in NWA.  They've proven that time and time again.

uncle bubs

• Senior
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 09:29:53 pm »

Uh, not so far.

Elite D1 football players don't want to live in NWA.  They've proven that time and time again.
I'm pretty sure it's not because were a BIG12 school, since theres a giant SEC logo on our football field.

IronHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • AIMED AT YOU!
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 09:38:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's not because were a BIG12 school, since theres a giant SEC logo on our football field.

It looks like a Big 12 school, it is in the midwest like a Big 12 school, and deep south players avoid it like a Big 12 school.

Just because you paint stripes on a horse don't mean it is all the sudden really a zebra.

uncle bubs

• Senior
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 09:40:50 pm »

It looks like a Big 12 school, it is in the midwest like a Big 12 school, and deep south players avoid it like a Big 12 school.

Just because you paint stripes on a horse don't mean it is all the sudden really a zebra.
Where are you from?

uncle bubs

• Senior
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 09:44:41 pm »

I live in Murfreesboro, TN and it feels a heck of a lot like Sringdale, AR. Maybe since Murfreesboro is only an hour south of the Kentucky border that makes it a Midwestern town. I think I get your drift.

IronHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • AIMED AT YOU!
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 10:08:50 pm »

I live in Murfreesboro, TN and it feels a heck of a lot like Sringdale, AR. Maybe since Murfreesboro is only an hour south of the Kentucky border that makes it a Midwestern town. I think I get your drift.

Kids don't go to Tennessee anymore either.

uncle bubs

• Senior
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 10:18:12 pm »

Touche' my friend.

jkstock04

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 12:15:06 am »

Only other SEC school/campus I have been to is LSU and it was an absolute dump.  No exaggeration there.  Stadium is an oversized WMS....and that is prob being nice.  I'm going to Auburn this year, will be interesting to see if that is any better. 

A hippy culture and beauty of campus/stadium probably matter very little to the stereotypical blue chip athlete.  Tradition and winning championships do. 

Recruiting base is what it is all about.  Everything else is just window dressing.  Our recruiting base sucks therefore we are going to struggle in recruiting. 

Michael D Huff AIA

• Varsity
  • Calling the Hogs since 1974.
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 08:52:18 am »

I was in Los Angeles at a convention a few years ago and I decided to drive from downtown through Hollywood out to Venice Beach.  Just after Beverly Hills I drove right through UCLA's campus.  Stunningly beautiful.  How they don't out-recruit everyone for every sport is beyond me. 

Recruit:  I'm not sure, coach.  I have a lot of good offers out there.
Coach:  Our campus is down the street from Rodeo Drive.
Recruit:  Can I sign today?

Meanwhile, across town, USC's campus is not in a good area.  I'm not sure I'd hang out there in the daytime.  They somehow get 5* players regularly.

UCLA just doesn't win as much as USC.  That's the ultimate difference.  This is why players will actually choose to play in the cess pool we know as Baton Rouge.  On paper Fayetteville beats a lot of places. 

A few more years of winning will help move the needle in our favor.

little pigee

• I'll get back to you on that...
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 09:51:18 am »

Dickson Street field hippies recruiting their butts off is fun to watch.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 09:58:10 am »

In case you haven't heard we are members of the SEC NOT the little 12.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 09:59:32 am »

Please tell us what a little 12 school looks like. The last time I checked we look NOTHING like those places.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 10:01:54 am »

I was in Los Angeles at a convention a few years ago and I decided to drive from downtown through Hollywood out to Venice Beach.  Just after Beverly Hills I drove right through UCLA's campus.  Stunningly beautiful.  How they don't out-recruit everyone for every sport is beyond me. 

Recruit:  I'm not sure, coach.  I have a lot of good offers out there.
Coach:  Our campus is down the street from Rodeo Drive.
Recruit:  Can I sign today?

Meanwhile, across town, USC's campus is not in a good area.  I'm not sure I'd hang out there in the daytime.  They somehow get 5* players regularly.

UCLA just doesn't win as much as USC.  That's the ultimate difference.  This is why players will actually choose to play in the cess pool we know as Baton Rouge.  On paper Fayetteville beats a lot of places. 

A few more years of winning will help move the needle in our favor.

Not all recruits can afford to shop on Rodeo Drive. Unless they go to USC or old barn...............

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 10:03:03 am »

So I guess they don't field a team huh. Has the campus been boarded up or something.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 10:05:10 am »

Dickson Street field hippies recruiting their butts off is fun to watch.

It's even more fun to watch in LA where UCLA and USC are located. If you think that's fun try watching the homeless people on the beaches there recruit.

TheGunther

• Senior
  • Resident Manlet
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 10:26:09 am »

Watch out, Fayetteville will have gangs and crime rates that mirror little rock in the 1990s in no time!

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 10:40:55 am »

Watch out, Fayetteville will have gangs and crime rates that mirror little rock in the 1990s in no time!

Kind of like how it is close to the USC campus in LA. They still recruit well.

HoginMemphis

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2012, 10:49:23 am »

It is a very nice city and metropolitan area but it seems too crowded already. Fayetteville still has same footprint it had 30 years ago yet the population has grown by 50% or more. And the university had about 14,000 undergrads in the early '80's when I was there. Now undergrads number 20K+. That's too many for size of the town. Everything is much more crowded and more traffic than you had to deal with 30 years ago.

big_daddy_gasoline_pants

• Varsity
  • To all the virgins, thanks for NOTHING
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2012, 12:53:47 pm »

It is a very nice city and metropolitan area but it seems too crowded already. Fayetteville still has same footprint it had 30 years ago yet the population has grown by 50% or more. And the university had about 14,000 undergrads in the early '80's when I was there. Now undergrads number 20K+. That's too many for size of the town. Everything is much more crowded and more traffic than you had to deal with 30 years ago.
No worse than Conway. :(

IronHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • AIMED AT YOU!
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2012, 01:39:32 pm »

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2012, 04:17:47 pm »

Conway is brutal.....

And still dry.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2012, 07:02:33 pm »

And still dry.

That's what makes it so brutal!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas