Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interleague Play

Started by cubsfan5150, May 26, 2012, 01:08:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cubsfan5150

Well, it's looking more and more like MLB is going the way of the NFL and NBA and going to a fully open league.  I personally hate it, as I've hated interleague play for a long time. 

What's your thoughts on this?  I like to think of myself of an old school baseball guy, although I prefer the unbalanced schedule.

I also assume if we go to a full interleague, the DH will transition over to the NL which would be terrible.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

clutch

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on May 26, 2012, 01:08:00 pm
Well, it's looking more and more like MLB is going the way of the NFL and NBA and going to a fully open league.  I personally hate it, as I've hated interleague play for a long time. 

What's your thoughts on this?  I like to think of myself of an old school baseball guy, although I prefer the unbalanced schedule.

I also assume if we go to a full interleague, the DH will transition over to the NL which would be terrible.

Once they move the Astros to the AL I don't think they will have much choice because of scheduling. That's what I was hearing.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: clutch on May 26, 2012, 01:09:53 pm
Once they move the Astros to the AL I don't think they will have much choice because of scheduling. That's what I was hearing.

Yet again, I hear that was the entire purpose of moving them.  Otherwise it was working fine the other way.  But no, you don't HAVE to have full interleague play just because you've evened out the leagues.

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

clutch

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on May 26, 2012, 01:12:47 pm
Yet again, I hear that was the entire purpose of moving them.  Otherwise it was working fine the other way.  But no, you don't HAVE to have full interleague play just because you've evened out the leagues.

I thought the whole move was stupid anyway. Why move the Brewers to the NL a few years ago in the first place if you are just going to add another team to the AL a few years later?

cubsfan5150

Quote from: clutch on May 26, 2012, 01:40:34 pm
I thought the whole move was stupid anyway. Why move the Brewers to the NL a few years ago in the first place if you are just going to add another team to the AL a few years later?

I thought the same thing... it's all about money.  Brewers vs Cards/Cubs will probably bring in more money than Astros vs either.  Plus now you get Rangers vs Astros.  Screw Bud Selig.

bsking

Full interleague play isn't even being suggested at meetings.  Yeah there will be more because there will be one series every week, but your team will still play the same amount of interleague games.  They'll just be spread out rather than all at the same time.

clutch

Quote from: bsking on May 27, 2012, 11:53:11 am
Full interleague play isn't even being suggested at meetings.  Yeah there will be more because there will be one series every week, but your team will still play the same amount of interleague games.  They'll just be spread out rather than all at the same time.

That's what I'm hearing too. There will just be an interleague series going on at pretty much all times, not full interleague play.

johnny cash

The DH will be in the NL before long, just a matter of time.

cubsfan5150

OK, I guess I took it somewhat wrong.  It still seems the idea will be to expand to 30 total interleague games for each team.  That would be up from approximately 18 for each team.  Still sucks.

bsking

They aren't expanding interleague because of choice.  They evened the divisions, which needed to be done for fairness.  This causes an odd number of teams in both leagues.  Thus, one team from each league will have to face an interleague opponent every series.  That averages to 3.33 interleague series' for each team.  This was simply a by product of aligning teams to be fair.