Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All eyes are on you LONG

Started by COACHINTEXAS, April 12, 2012, 08:49:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

COACHINTEXAS

April 12, 2012, 08:49:06 am Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:57:28 am by COACHINTEXAS
In my opinion, Jeff Long holds the success of our football program in his hands for the next 9 months. I think it would be foolish to bring on a full time coach right now with all the schemes in place from the previous coaching staff. As of right now, we need someone to implement and finish the job for this year. I realistically believe the best man for the job is Paul Petrino. No one understands the offense like he does. It wouldn't be fair to ask Garrett to come back. To do that, you would almost have to promise him the job for the future and I'm not willing to do that. I think he is an incredible coach, but with no head coaching experience as of yet, it would be a big gamble. Since we do have someone in place that knows the offense in and out, it would be the most logical choice. All the other pieces are in place with the other positions.

Now, the future............First of all, I don't have confidence in Jeff Long to find a football coach. If you remember correctly, if he would have had his way, our coach would have either been Jim Grobe or Bowden. Let's be honest, Petrino fell into Long's lap with the help of Jerry Jones. Let's examine what he has done since arriving at the UA and the hires he has made.

Arkansas Track -  The most successful program of all programs in the nation. 42 National Championships. Let that soak in for a while. We were the cream of the crop, the Norte Dame of track.....no wait, not only were we the Norte Dame of track, we were the Michigan, Texas, USC, Alabama, Nebraska, Florida and UCS of track. And who does he go and hire.................a guy from Northern Iowa that none of us has ever heard of. He could have gotten anyone and he goes and hires Buckman or whatever his name is.

Basketball - Hiring Mike Anderson remains to be seen, but at least I think we all have confidence in the program again.

Now the future lies in his hands; what will he do?  I think the most important decision he can make is to hire someone that runs the same type of offense, a pro style attack. Let's look back at basketball; think back of the days of fast pace, running up and down the floor and playing attack and pressing defense which caused turnovers by the dozen which resulted in fast points, often dunks that put the crowd into a frenzy. It was fast and furious and our fanbase loved it. Exit Nolan and his style and we hire Heath, a slow pace, big 10 guy who operates as polar opposite as Nolan's style. Our fanbase never adapted and we haven't been the same since.
With that said, he has got to hire a guy that runs a similar offense, a multiple pro style offense and a brillant mind or we just may repeat what we have in basketball.
No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!