Non Sports Forums > When Pigs Fly

KHOT 31009G19

(1/1)

gotyacovered:
leaving in a bit for Hot Springs, for the weekend.

i have flown in there 10 or so times, never with the winds like they are... i assume some of you have, anything to watch out for? i would assume with the rapidly rising terrain north and the lake south there might be some funky chop...

bvillepig:
Only been to Hot Springs and it was slight rain and 1000 overcast that day. No winds.  The approach from the south was easy.
I just got off the phone with my 182 hanger buddy who has landed there a bunch.  He was saying with 4 runways he couldn't remember having any severe turb in the hills.

I just called the Hot Springs AWOS 501-624-7633. The winds now are reporting 300 @ 11 gusts to 17.  RWY 31 over the lake sounds like a winner.

Have a great time.

theFlyingHog:
For KHOT I just try to remember that it's right traffic for one of the runways. And sometimes there are regional jets and some Pilatus operating there.  Windy day, chased me off the golf course

gotyacovered:
Thanks guys.

Bvillepig, we need to meet sometime so you can call me one of your 182 buddies!

My wife got hung up at work, I'm waiting at the airport! Cleaned the belly of my plane!

bvillepig:
We will do that. I still owe you a cake.

There are 3 of us that share an old B52 hanger for almost nothing a year. 2 182's and the Toga. We all had played golf together for years and I decided to finish what I started in the early 90's. I took a few lessons in the early 90's and postponed what had been a lifelong goal or dream, mainly money.  Crazy and dumb thing is it was only going to cost me 750.

Any way my two other golfing buddies decided they might as well join in the fun. So we started all taking lessons. One of them beat me to the private rating but I got my IFR first. They decided to buy 182's but I had to be different so ended up with the low wing stuff.

 No disrespect to any of our loyal airmen who serve our country but around the golf course they like to kid us about being whats left of the Bville Air Force.

gotyacovered:

--- Quote from: bvillepig on February 24, 2012, 05:49:11 pm ---We will do that. I still owe you a cake.

There are 3 of us that share an old B52 hanger for almost nothing a year. 2 182's and the Toga. We all had played golf together for years and I decided to finish what I started in the early 90's. I took a few lessons in the early 90's and postponed what had been a lifelong goal or dream, mainly money.  Crazy and dumb thing is it was only going to cost me 750.

Any way my two other golfing buddies decided they might as well join in the fun. So we started all taking lessons. One of them beat me to the private rating but I got my IFR first. They decided to buy 182's but I had to be different so ended up with the low wing stuff.

 No disrespect to any of our loyal airmen who serve our country but around the golf course they like to kid us about being whats left of the Bville Air Force.

--- End quote ---

i love the way your plane looks. i am to young to declare myself a low wing/high wing guy at this point!

the trip to Hot Spings was good. no issues with the wind Friday, it was 340 and i used 31...

the track was pretty good, i had my wife in tow. we ate lunch, drank $7 margaritas for the entire day and i lost $70-75. if she wouldnt have gone shopping Friday/Sunday i would have been in good shape!

i will have to give one 'report'. Friday night we ate at Back Porch Grill, and i ordered the Bone in ribeye, traditionally it is AWESOME, i have had it no less than 8-9 times, this time though, the flavor was great, but the cut of meat sucked. dont know what the deal was. i was thinking about that steak all day. luck of the draw i guess.

oh, one more... Big Chill. i have spent quite a few nights there, but the wife and her friends always gripe about the smoke. they opened a new room, it is great, very nice set up. great place for a cocktail and live music, without being in the middle of all the action. it was a little chilly, so we didnt go outside, but they have a good sized deck too. it'll be fun this summer.

Pistol Pete:

--- Quote from: gotyacovered on February 27, 2012, 10:19:41 am ---i love the way your plane looks. i am to young to declare myself a low wing/high wing guy at this point!

the trip to Hot Spings was good. no issues with the wind Friday, it was 340 and i used 31...

the track was pretty good, i had my wife in tow. we ate lunch, drank $7 margaritas for the entire day and i lost $70-75. if she wouldnt have gone shopping Friday/Sunday i would have been in good shape!

i will have to give one 'report'. Friday night we ate at Back Porch Grill, and i ordered the Bone in ribeye, traditionally it is AWESOME, i have had it no less than 8-9 times, this time though, the flavor was great, but the cut of meat sucked. dont know what the deal was. i was thinking about that steak all day. luck of the draw i guess.

oh, one more... Big Chill. i have spent quite a few nights there, but the wife and her friends always gripe about the smoke. they opened a new room, it is great, very nice set up. great place for a cocktail and live music, without being in the middle of all the action. it was a little chilly, so we didnt go outside, but they have a good sized deck too. it'll be fun this summer.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a good weekend. I eat at the Back Porch Grill pretty often, like you, I've always had good meals there. Maybe just an anomoly...

bvillepig:

Its been years since I have been to Hot Springs. I used to go down and play either the Arlington or Majestic every year in a tourney someone put on. We had a blast. When I was at Henderson State a long time ago we would run over and see the ponies.  I used to deer hunt south of Wheelen Springs on the little Missouri. Owned some Beagles years ago and ran them all over those swamps. I love and miss South Arkansas.

I guess as we got a little older we started going farther and farther away. Mainly to Florida or Mexico. 

  Sounds like you had a great time and I love to hear the reports.

gotyacovered:

--- Quote from: bvillepig on February 27, 2012, 06:07:42 pm ---Its been years since I have been to Hot Springs. I used to go down and play either the Arlington or Majestic every year in a tourney someone put on. We had a blast. When I was at Henderson State a long time ago we would run over and see the ponies.  I used to deer hunt south of Wheelen Springs on the little Missouri. Owned some Beagles years ago and ran them all over those swamps. I love and miss South Arkansas.

I guess as we got a little older we started going farther and farther away. Mainly to Florida or Mexico. 

  Sounds like you had a great time and I love to hear the reports.

--- End quote ---

You need to check out hot springs country club again, they just got 36 new greens. They are that new strand of grass, good stuff.

gotyacovered:

--- Quote from: Pistol Pete on February 27, 2012, 11:24:37 am ---Sounds like a good weekend. I eat at the Back Porch Grill pretty often, like you, I've always had good meals there. Maybe just an anomoly...

--- End quote ---

I think it was, one of my fav spots!

gotyacovered:

--- Quote from: bvillepig on February 24, 2012, 03:31:12 pm ---Only been to Hot Springs and it was slight rain and 1000 overcast that day. No winds.  The approach from the south was easy.
I just got off the phone with my 182 hanger buddy who has landed there a bunch.  He was saying with 4 runways he couldn't remember having any severe turb in the hills.

I just called the Hot Springs AWOS 501-624-7633. The winds now are reporting 300 @ 11 gusts to 17.  RWY 31 over the lake sounds like a winner.

Have a great time.

--- End quote ---

BTW, other than a sloppy approach, it was easy, you were right.

gotyacovered:
LOL.... i was looking for another thread and saw the title to this, funny how things change with a little experience. i really remember being nervous about these winds.. more so b/c of the terrain surrounding the airport than the velocity... but i got a little kick out of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version