Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jake Bequette's Personality?

Started by Fatty McGee, February 21, 2012, 10:45:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatty McGee

February 21, 2012, 10:45:55 am Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:49:19 am by Fatty McGee
What's up with this from CFN?

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1160497.html

"9. Jake Bequette, Arkansas 6-4, 264 Proj. 3

Negatives: Not an athlete. There's a limited upside without a speed element to his pass rushing game. ... Can be erased. Needs one-on-one blocking. ... Known for rubbing people the wrong way. Might not be for every locker room. "

Maybe I don't pay close enough attention, but I'd never heard anything like this.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Teebow62

First I've heard of this. If he's a chip off the old block, then they don't come any better.

RazorHogs21

Did Spurrier or Connor Shaw write this?

OptimusHog

Uh...I've met Bequette many times and he has been nothing short of a gentleman.

booogaga

This is the first time I have read anything concerning Jake that raises any kind of character issues.
GO HOGS!

zane

Quote from: ASUFAN21 on February 21, 2012, 11:06:12 am

I do vaguely remember him rubbing Connor Shaw wrong. Actually, I think he pounded his head about a foot into the ground.   :razorback:
RIP LSUfan

31to6

Quote from: booogaga on February 21, 2012, 11:12:56 am
This is the first time I have read anything concerning Jake that raises any kind of character issues.
Hatchet job. I have no idea where this came from.

He's one of the spokesmen for the team and always seemed very respectful. A good student too.

The only "upside" here is that the allegations are specific and easy to put to bed in the interviews unlike the random unsubstantiated rumors they hit Mallett with.

The team doesn't vote you captain or co-captain multiple times if you are not a leader in the locker room and our defense improved visibly whenever his leadership was on the field.

If you recall it was night-and-day in the Cotton Bowl in the 4th quater when Jake sat for two series and then they sent him back in and we stopped them. Even the Big-12 fluffers announcers acknowledged it.

booogaga

Someone should try to contact the people who wrote this and ask them to elaborate or something. I find it very hard to believe that Jake is any problem what so ever in a locker room.
GO HOGS!

snoot hoggy hog

Its interesting that Bequette's ranked 9th on the list and a cancer in the locker room but his picture is featured in the piece.

IBleedRazorbackRed

He may be seen as a "too good" type of person ya know? Couldn't really see him in a raiders or ravens locker room buddying up with them. I don't know, just a thought.

booogaga

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on February 21, 2012, 11:27:09 am
Its interesting that Bequette's ranked 9th on the list and a cancer in the locker room but his picture is featured in the piece.
I was thinking the same exact thing.
GO HOGS!

urkillnmesmalls

My wife just walked in and looked over my shoulder.  This was her comment. 

"Of course he's going to rub guys in the locker room the wrong way.  They're going to be worried he's going to steal their girlfriends."   8)

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

booogaga

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 21, 2012, 11:33:49 am
My wife just walked in and looked over my shoulder.  This was her comment. 

"Of course he's going to rub guys in the locker room the wrong way.  They're going to be worried he's going to steal their girlfriends."   8)

Hah.
GO HOGS!

dynastyhog

A lot of hardcore competitors rub people the wrong way b/c they demand team mates to be perfect.  Micheal Jordan was one of those guys.  I wouldn't read to much into it.  Jake is a class guy and an outstanding representative of Razorback football.
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

joshUARK

Forget the BS about his personality...

Why are they questioning his speed? I've always thought his speed was his best attribute, because he doesn't really utilize a ton of moves at DE.  He just gets a great jump at the snap and beats the OT to the outside. 

Makes me wonder if they're talking about the right person.

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: ASUFAN21 on February 21, 2012, 11:06:12 am

Actually, I think it was Michael Dyer. ;D

Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Teebow62 on February 21, 2012, 10:49:30 am
First I've heard of this. If he's a chip off the old block, then they don't come any better.

My thought exactly.  If he ever rubbed anyone the wrong way it's probably because he was being a leader.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

UAfanatic

Here's Pete Fiutak's(the author/analyst) email:

fiucfn@gmail.com

let's all ask him where he came up with that.

younghog

Jake was a Team Caption and a TRUE Leader (warrior)

Sad that this gets written..

~unreal even
GO HOGS

Pigsknuckles

The writer didn't crap rosebuds for any of the other candidates either. I think it's just his odd way of trying to be "fair and balanced".
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

The_Iceman

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 21, 2012, 10:45:55 am

Negatives: Not an athlete. There's a limited upside without a speed element to his pass rushing game. ... Can be erased. Needs one-on-one blocking. ... Known for rubbing people the wrong way. Might not be for every locker room. "

Maybe I don't pay close enough attention, but I'd never heard anything like this.

What a load of Bull Crap. More conspiracy against kids from Arkansas. Probably assuming he is an Arkansas redneck.

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: younghog on February 21, 2012, 12:18:49 pm
Jake was a Team Caption and a TRUE Leader (warrior)

Sad that this gets written..

~unreal even

Team Caption, huh? Guess that means he really DOES speak for the team. ;D

Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

DeltaBoy

I email the nut and I post what he said  if I get anything back.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorbak

They pulled this same bogus crap with Mallett.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansaw where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth." [Davy Crockett 1834]

"If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision." [Major General Patrick Cleburne, Confederate Civil War hero from Arkansas]

The Confederacy had no better soldiers than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond prudence. [Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.]

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 21, 2012, 10:45:55 am

Negatives: Not an athlete. There’s a limited upside without a speed element to his pass rushing game. … Can be erased. Needs one-on-one blocking. … Known for rubbing people the wrong way. Might not be for every locker room. "

That's horse-shite! No team could ask for a better team-mate than Jake who was "all-in" for the team.

Someone has no clue what they are talking about but I assure you that the NFL teams will get to the truth of the matter prior to draft day.
Go Hogs Go!

josh_sec33

hmm, rumors coming out of Columbia again?
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Torqued pork

Only one draft prospect per year gets hyped to be the very embodiment of human and athletic perfection and it's Andrew Luck this year. All others will be obsessively scrutinized if not almost slandered.

Razorfox

February 21, 2012, 12:55:08 pm #27 Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:20:09 pm by Razorfox
Wasn't Jake going to be an attorney when he graduated (or left the NFL)?  Maybe his intellect and vocabulary are too much for his teammates?  :)

Uncommon

The person who wrote that is correct.  A 4.0 law student does rub other players who had 2.7's the wrong way.

ADinWaiting

"I was not happy with the direction of the program and a change in leadership was needed."

hogwild77

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on February 21, 2012, 12:57:46 pm
The person who wrote that is correct.  A 4.0 law student does rub other players who had 2.7's the wrong way.

Not a law student. He was a business student. He intended on going to law school. Nonetheless 4.0>2.7 GPA.

ARtillahog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2012, 12:29:01 pm
What a load of Bull Crap. More conspiracy against kids from Arkansas. Probably assuming he is an Arkansas redneck.

Yeah, I think its just code for "he's too white".

Uncommon

Quote from: hogwild77 on February 21, 2012, 01:46:04 pm
Not a law student. He was a business student. He intended on going to law school. Nonetheless 4.0>2.7 GPA.
Yeah I kind of jumped the gun there.  You're right.  I think he majored in finance.

Tusks

what is the fricken deal with the character assassination attempts on the hogs players.

I mean what they did to mallett was borderline criminal but to take shots at Jake is like they really don't know who they are picking on.

I wish the athletic department could do something to help these guys out...mallett was hung out to dry but jake is spotless as far as I know......this is B.S.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

DukeOfPork

I sent him an email:

QuoteI was reading your ranking of defensive ends and read this comment:

"...Known for rubbing people the wrong way. Might not be for every locker room."

Are you sure you have the right guy?  I'm sure there are valid criticisms of Bequette in terms of his ability to play in the NFL, but the above quote simply does not relate to the Jake Bequette that everyone at Arkansas knows.

I wouldn't bother to email you about this except that Jake has been such a model citizen, team leader, and eloquent spokesman for the team that I simply had to take up for him and see if you could correct that quote before unfounded rumors about him take root.

The guy is an honor roll student, graduated in three years, was pursuing a Master's while playing football, and was voted team captain for two years.  He is active in the community and is always one of the Razorbacks that spends the most time signing autographs for kids, etc.

The more I think about it, you may be right that he is not "for every locker room"....he may be too squeaky clean for some NFL teams!

Uncommon

Quote from: PorkPariah on February 21, 2012, 02:13:07 pm
I sent him an email:

Should have mentioned he was a 4.0 student as well.  Good points in your e-mail.  Guy that wrote that deserved a ripping.

pigture perfect

If he' not good enough of an athlete that's one thing, but if you are attacking his character, it's not Just a lie, but a **** lie. He was was willing to dedicate the last part of his season including the bowl game to a little boy who died in a car wreck. Not Just any boy, but my boy. He went way beyond great character with that.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

SEdrhawg

Berno

ADinWaiting

Maybe it stems from the media's hatred of Petrino's character...
"I was not happy with the direction of the program and a change in leadership was needed."

Mitch C

At least someone is getting rubbed.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 21, 2012, 12:33:47 pm
I email the nut and I post what he said  if I get anything back.

Here ya go folks

I changed it up. I talked to two different scouts who seemed to be rubbed the wrong way by him for some reason as he came across as too cocky. I didn't mean to make it sound like he was a bad guy, so I changed the "negative" to "Came across as a bit overconfident to some scouts."
He's a great player and will be a longtime starter.
Thanks!
Fiu
CFN
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 21, 2012, 02:57:08 pm
Here ya go folks

I changed it up. I talked to two different scouts who seemed to be rubbed the wrong way by him for some reason as he came across as too cocky. I didn't mean to make it sound like he was a bad guy, so I changed the "negative" to "Came across as a bit overconfident to some scouts."
Thanks!
Fiu
CFN

Yep, he sent me the same email.

I do appreciate him changing it.  He is just reporting what scouts said, but at least he is trying to be fair in his article.

Crisis averted!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 21, 2012, 02:21:21 pm
If he' not good enough of an athlete that's one thing, but if you are attacking his character, it's not Just a lie, but a **** lie. He was was willing to dedicate the last part of his season including the bowl game to a little boy who died in a car wreck. Not Just any boy, but my boy. He went way beyond great character with that.

Absolutely.  That was just a stand up thing to do.  Jake is just an all around model citizen.  I'm very proud that he is one of ours.

DeltaBoy

Jake had been a favorite of mine since he got on the Hill. Then he did such a touching thing for Ugly Uncle Family after that tragedy that won me over for Life.

jman

I'm not even going to click the link and read that crap!  Its BS!  Just another writer/reporter trying to smear Petrino and the Arkansas program.  I've never heard anything bad about bequette nor have I seen him act inappropriately.  The people writing this crap about our players and our program should be horse whipped!!!

Dcace83

Seems like another RM screw job in the making.
And if I had a gun, with two bullets, and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice. -Michael Scott

<--- I brought that avatar to Hogville. It's win I know.

wholehog92

February 21, 2012, 03:32:57 pm #47 Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:34:34 pm by wholehog92
I emailed him the following:
Positives: Motor always running. He's a try-hard type who works hard to get into the backfield and make plays. He doesn't take plays off. ... Moves well. He's not going to be a linebacker at the next level, but he can read plays in space and make plays. ... A pass rusher. It might not be pretty, but he gets to the quarterback.

Negatives: Not an athlete. There's a limited upside without a speed element to his pass rushing game. ... Can be erased. Needs one-on-one blocking. ... Known for rubbing people the wrong way. Might not be for every locker room.

As a hog fan I have no idea how where you come up with speed being an issue, but that is essentially an opinion and debateable.

What I can't just let go is this idea that he is a locker room problem.  The Razorbacks elect their team captains by anonymously.  Jake has been elected team captain multiple times.  He has always been well spoken publicly, never gotten into any trouble.  I have great access to the players and never seen any evidence of what you say.  That being said, not for every locker room leaves a lot to interpretation.  Are you saying some locker rooms may revolt against a great guy and natural leader?

Wholehog92
Go Hogs

He replied with
Thanks!
Fiu
CFN

I replied to his response with:

Thanks for changing that up.  That reads a lot better and communicates more accurately what you are trying to say.  Have a great day.

My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

DeltaBoy

I got the same E-mail !  We must have blown up his mailbox.

UAfanatic

Wow, the power of Hogville!

That is a much better read, how bad can overconfidence be?