Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do not abuse the PM feature on this board

Started by mikeirwin, January 23, 2006, 07:22:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

The moderators are getting an increasing number of complains from those who do not appreciate the arguments on MMQ being carried over to private messages.
You disagree with something posted ? Respond on the main board. You get mad at somebody ? Act like an adult and address it in a civil manner on the main board.
The PM feature is not to be abused.
Do not use it to try and bully those you disagree with.
It's no different than ringing a neighbor's doorbell. A friendly visit is okay. Anything else is not.
You send a confrontational PM to somebody you have issues with and you will be banned if that person complains to a moderator.

dmhog v2.0

What if I was going to ring my neighbors doorbell to politely ask that his dog stop pooing on my lawn and it escalated from there?

mikeirwin

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 23, 2006, 07:29:38 pm
What if I was going to ring my neighbors doorbell to politely ask that his dog stop pooing on my lawn and it escalated from there?
You can do that on the main board.
A personal address on this board is just that...personal.
Don't invade somebody's space with an argument.
They didn't invite you.
They probably don't want to hear from you in that way.
If they do and they don''t mind then it's between you and them but if they complain you may not be around.

dmhog v2.0

I don't use it very frequently. I was just asking. Sorry, Mike.

mikeirwin

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 23, 2006, 07:39:29 pm
I don't use it very frequently. I was just asking. Sorry, Mike.
No need to apologize for asking for an explanation.
I'm sure others have questions.
Basically some people view these confrontational PMs as over the top.
I do too. Nothing said on this board should get to the point where you want to confront somebody with a personal message.
Frankly the person who's being sent such a message has no way of knowing who is sending the message and how over the top they are.
I can see where they would not like it.
I've gotten a few of these myself and in my case they know who I am but I don't know squat about them.
So I sympathize with the complaints.