Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Am I the only one who thinks that Brewer will

Started by WILL CLINTON, January 23, 2006, 10:30:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WILL CLINTON

be making a mistake if he goes pro early?  I, personally, don't think he is ready for the NBA.  If he was the SEC player of the year in a year when the SEC was better than the MAC, maybe, but not this year.  He needs another year of getting his game ready to take it to the next level. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

hogfankb

Anyone think he won't be SEC Player of the Year? I know he was preseason but if LSU keeps winning and Davis keeps playing the way he is playing I think it will be him. Either way I still have my doubt about brewer being a star in the NBA. I think he will be a good role player and probably even start for the right team. But his scoring ability against top athletes is still questionable to me.

D-macs cuz

He's going to stay...his mom wants him to get an education.  you'd be suprised how much of these athletes listen to their moms. 

Hogs4Ever

Depends on how the rest of the players in the draft look.  If he's a guaranteed lottery pick, it would be tough to turn down the money.  One injury and a NBA career could be gone.

dukefan

NBA drafts on POTENTIAL not PERFORMANCE!  (LOOK AT ALL THE HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS)

HogKong

I think he should stay, but with all those $$$$$, how can you pass it up?

Inigo Montoya

Agree also, he needs to get a little stronger and be able to score consistently in the 20s before I think he's ready.

hogsanity

If he is going to be top 15 its hard to call taking that much $$$$ a mistake.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: dukefan on January 23, 2006, 10:49:31 am
NBA drafts on POTENTIAL not PERFORMANCE! (LOOK AT ALL THE HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS)

100% correct, if he goes he will be drafted high.

PennHOG

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

NATEHOGG216

He will stay barring an unbelieveable end to the season.  he will not leave unless he starts shooting MUCH better.  He still has a lot of work to reach his true potential.  He will be back to join weems and company to make a strong push in the tourney.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

pfrg999

Needs to get that three down... plus get that drive and dish... needs works on that pull up jumper...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

pfrg999

He is much like Todd Day when he said... I can wait one more year to be a millionaire... Plus he has a Dad who KNOWS the NBA
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

hogfankb

Quote from: mi-ky on January 23, 2006, 11:05:18 am

What potential are you talking about? Most of these potential guys from high school are tremendous athletes. While brewer is a good athlete I wouldn't say his upside is his athletic ability. He does a great job of playing defense because of his length and he has an uncanny ability to move his body to get shots off in the lane. I wouldn't say he is super jumper(probably just an average NBA leaper) or has a great first step(again average for NBA guards). He needs to work on his outside shot so that he won't be given 5 feet of slack on the offensive end forcing him to shoot long jump shots.

To me an NBA lottery pick is someone who can become a #1 scorer for a team. IMO i just don't think brewer will be one of those guys.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Inigo Montoya on January 23, 2006, 10:59:07 am
Agree also, he needs to get a little stronger and be able to score consistently in the 20s before I think he's ready.

With the way he has played the past 2 2nd halves, he should be hitting the 30's on occasion.  He scored what, 23 in the 2nd half against Auburn and 17 against Alabama, he should be averaging in the mid to upper 20's with those kinds of 2nd halves.

pfrg999

Quote from: hogfankb on January 23, 2006, 11:26:24 am

What potential are you talking about? Most of these potential guys from high school are tremendous athletes. While brewer is a good athlete I wouldn't say his upside is his athletic ability. He does a great job of playing defense because of his length and he has an uncanny ability to move his body to get shots off in the lane. I wouldn't say he is super jumper(probably just an average NBA leaper) or has a great first step(again average for NBA guards). He needs to work on his outside shot so that he won't be given 5 feet of slack on the offensive end forcing him to shoot long jump shots.

To me an NBA lottery pick is someone who can become a #1 scorer for a team. IMO i just don't think brewer will be one of those guys.

Sadly That is true.... Kwame Brown...Lazy Millionaire

Mike Tencleve

If you go to nba.com and look at the 2006 mock draft, you will see that a lot of people in the NBA think he has POTENTIAL. They have him going to Portland at the #5 spot.

WILL CLINTON

Well, if he came back for his Sr. season, polished his jumpshot, FT, and got just a little stronger, why couldn't he be #1 overall if he is #5 this year? 

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: dubyacee on January 23, 2006, 11:39:40 am
Well, if he came back for his Sr. season, polished his jumpshot, FT, and got just a little stronger, why couldn't he be #1 overall if he is #5 this year?

I agree with that but we are talking millions of $$$? Yes may make more next year, but kids don't think that way. Not so sure i would either.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: mi-ky on January 23, 2006, 11:44:39 am

I agree with that but we are talking millions of $$$? Yes may make more next year, but kids don't think that way. Not so sure i would either.

You are right.  Easy to sit back here and say what he ought to do when I am not faced with that situation....

PennHOG

Quote from: mi-ky on January 23, 2006, 11:44:39 am

I would think he's a bit different, tho.  I bet he and his family are comfortable and don't need the millions ASAP.  He needs to refine his game and become a rocognizable name.  Getting to the final four will do that. 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

hogfankb

Quote from: mi-ky on January 23, 2006, 11:38:29 am

If you go to nba.com and look at the 2006 mock draft, you will see that a lot of people in the NBA think he has POTENTIAL. They have him going to Portland at the #5 spot.

I have seen that. And those guys obviously know more about what NBA teams are wanting than me. I just don't see it though. But then again I don't like half the guys in the NBA cause they aren't basketball players. They are athletes that play basketball. Either way he decides to go i wish the best for him. He seems like a good kid and we are happy to have him here. Maybe I am just telling myself that he isn't good enough cause I am hoping he will stay.

Buck Ocean

a lot of talk...but has anyone even considered what position he will play in the league? and ask yourself, "does he have the tools necessary to compete at that position?"

Chris Porter, Auburn, was player of the year several years ago (he was one of the most exciting players to watch in SEC modern history).......he didnt have a position in the NBA.....and he lasted 1 minute in the league.....earning pre-season or post-season accolades doesn't mean a dam thing.

Think like a Jedi

Niels Boar

It depends on where he is projected.  If ESPN is right and he is a top 10 pick, he's gone.  Dad knows NBA careers can be short-lived.  The main reservation that NBA scouts have about him is his junky shot.  I don't see that changing by staying another year.  If they are willing to overlook it now, he should go.  If he's a top 10 pick, his stock is more likely to drop that increase.  See Corliss.  If he's a questionable first-round pick, then he should stay.

Whataboar™

If the chance to be a Top 10 pick is there at the end of the season, I don't see how he could risk injury and play
another year of college ball.
It's not like he'll be giving up a chance to compete for a national title or something by skipping his senior year.
If the money is there, he should take it.
Scotty Thurman sure wishes now that he'd left after the national championship season.
Take the millions now. If the NBA career doesn't pan out, come back and finish your degree.
I'd love to have him back. It just doesn't make business sense if he can go high in the draft, though.
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

hogfan064

Are they saying he's the 10th best college prospect or 10th best player?  Big difference with all the European influence now days. 

Call Mr. Sow

Would Brewer really benefit from another year of tutelage under Heath? 

tbhogfan

With the kind of $$$$ that lottery picks get nowadays (and the kind of $$$$ I think he will be worth as he matures), he can always come back to school and finish up.

I would LOVE for him to do his final year at UA, but absolutely cannot blame him if he goes pro.
Go Hogs!

Corkscrew Johnson

should he go pro?  no, his game needs a ton of work.  his numbers right now are based on pure athleticism.  before you starting trying to dispute that, just think how much he scores off transition and 3 pointers.  he could do SO MUCH MORE damage if he learned how to post-up, attack from the center of a zone, draw fouls like reggie miller (which he finally started to do against auburn), and control the flow of an offense (you don't have to be a PG to do that--see labron and kobe).  he has such a ridiculous frame and he really only uses it to his advantage on defense. 

will he go pro?  yes, because there is no point in sticking around to polish your game if you already are going to be a top 6-9 pick.   as for the education part, if a business offered me $1.3 million a year to drop out after my junior year and start working, and there was a chance the offer would be gone after my senior year, i believe i would be leaving.

dmhog v2.0

Most players who declare early are not ready for the NBA.

boomo26

It will be tough, High Schoolers can not go straight to the NBA anymore so he will be going against other Juniors and Seniors.  It is he the top Junior or Senior in the country, I think not.  Next year he might be one of the top ones.

Boomo

dukefan

Ronnie Brewer Potential is unlimited, and to say he may not be athletic enough to play in the NBA is crazy!  He is a hell of a lot safer than a damn HIGH SCHOOL KID!

three

Quote from: dukefan on January 23, 2006, 05:29:09 pm
Ronnie Brewer Potential is unlimited, and to say he may not be athletic enough to play in the NBA is crazy! He is a hell of a lot safer than a damn HIGH SCHOOL KID!
Ronnie Brewer's potential is not unlimited, and it is uneducated to say so.  He is a very good defender, and could end up being a consistent all-NBA defensive team selection.  His ball handling is solid enough for him to get some time at point.  His outside shooting is decent at best, and will be weak in the league, he needs to drastically improve it.  Ronnie is a very hard worker, and will have a long and solid NBA career, but let's not start sending him to Springfield, yet.  Ronnie has several fundamental flaws in his game, flaws he may or may not fix.  Lebron James' potential is unlimited, Dwyane Wade's potential is unlimited, Dwight Howard's potential is unlimited, Ronnie Brewer could be very good, but his potential IS limited.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

hoggystyle78

I agree with you Three, and I think if he has the chance to be a lottery pick, he's gone. JMO
Quote from: three on January 23, 2006, 05:49:28 pm
Ronnie Brewer Potential is unlimited, and to say he may not be athletic enough to play in the NBA is crazy! He is a hell of a lot safer than a damn HIGH SCHOOL KID!
Ronnie Brewer's potential is not unlimited, and it is uneducated to say so. He is a very good defender, and could end up being a consistent all-NBA defensive team selection. His ball handling is solid enough for him to get some time at point. His outside shooting is decent at best, and will be weak in the league, he needs to drastically improve it. Ronnie is a very hard worker, and will have a long and solid NBA career, but let's not start sending him to Springfield, yet. Ronnie has several fundamental flaws in his game, flaws he may or may not fix. Lebron James' potential is unlimited, Dwyane Wade's potential is unlimited, Dwight Howard's potential is unlimited, Ronnie Brewer could be very good, but his potential IS limited.

three

Quote from: hoggystyle78 on January 23, 2006, 05:56:59 pm
I agree with you Three, and I think if he has the chance to be a lottery pick, he's gone. JMO
Ronnie Brewer's potential is not unlimited, and it is uneducated to say so. He is a very good defender, and could end up being a consistent all-NBA defensive team selection. His ball handling is solid enough for him to get some time at point. His outside shooting is decent at best, and will be weak in the league, he needs to drastically improve it. Ronnie is a very hard worker, and will have a long and solid NBA career, but let's not start sending him to Springfield, yet. Ronnie has several fundamental flaws in his game, flaws he may or may not fix. Lebron James' potential is unlimited, Dwyane Wade's potential is unlimited, Dwight Howard's potential is unlimited, Ronnie Brewer could be very good, but his potential IS limited.
Absolutely he's gone.  He's a smart kid, and he knows lottery money is better than late 1st round, and if he stays another year, the SEC gets better, and his ppg goes down, he could drop out of the lottery, but right now he has a chance to be a top 5 pick!  Brew's gone, sorry!
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

Illinihog

Ronnie's worst part of his game is his freakin' Defense.  He get's a lot of his steals because someone else applied the pressure and he got a tip ball.  Watch his off the ball defending it is absolutely the worst.  Ronnie will have to work on that, and also work on playing hard for 40 minutes.  He takes off way to much while he is on the floor.  At times he seems unmotivated or lazy.  You would think the so "called" star would want the ball in crunch time.  Ronnie seems to run a way from it at times.  Scouts notice this, one thing helping Ronnie this year is the draft is very very weak.  Some scouts have the PG from TX as a top 15 pick.  But Pittsnoggle someone more fitting for the NBA is a late 2nd round pick. 

If I'm Ronnie i'm leaving this year.  Get paid next year to learn and not go to class.  Next years class has the ability to be very very deep.

musiccityhog

He'll probably leave , because next year's draft will be alot better with all of the kids like Oden and company who have to wait a year.
Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd