Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How will Arkansas do this coming season?

Started by McHawgalds, January 23, 2006, 07:59:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

McHawgalds

I honestly don't see any games on this coming schedule that we will certainly lose. All of our tough games are at home, except Auburn and possibly South Carolina. If we can pull off Southern Cal at home, which with their losses is entirely possible, we could go a long way next year.

BTW, who the heck is Utah State?

Chappeee

Utah State is where Merlin Olsen played.

Arkansas is 8-4 next season, but wins the National Championship in 2007

hogaddict

McHawg you say all of our tough games are at home like that means something.  Being at home hasn't really helped us in the past has it?  At least not recently.  Check out HDN's SEC record in home games in Fayetteville.  It's not too good.   Just because we get the tough teams at home pretty much means nothing with Nutt.  Hopefully that trend will change this year, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

hogfancb

The two games at home that concern me are the Southern Cal and Tennessee game.

Hawgin84

Quote from: McHawgalds on January 23, 2006, 07:59:22 am
I honestly don't see any games on this coming schedule that we will certainly lose. All of our tough games are at home, except Auburn and possibly South Carolina. If we can pull off Southern Cal at home, which with their losses is entirely possible, we could go a long way next year.

BTW, who the heck is Utah State?

3-8 overall and 2-6 in the WAC. They are called the Aggies.

hogfan064

3 sure wins are SEMS, Utah State, and ULM.   3 should wins are Vandy, MSU, and Ole Miss.  3 should be losses are LSU, Auburn, and Southern Cal.  That leaves 3 tossups with UT, Bama, and South Carolina.   I'm going with 7-5 and a Liberty Bowl Birth against UTEP.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: hogfan064 on January 23, 2006, 10:11:47 am
3 sure wins are SEMS, Utah State, and ULM. 3 should wins are Vandy, MSU, and Ole Miss. 3 should be losses are LSU, Auburn, and Southern Cal. That leaves 3 tossups with UT, Bama, and South Carolina. I'm going with 7-5 and a Liberty Bowl Birth against UTEP.

And if that happens every person associated with the football program ought to be fired before the bowl game.  If they do go 7-5 next year, it will be an even worse coaching job than the past 2 years.  Next year's schedule is set up where anyone who has ever even watched football could get 8 wins.  A "FOR REAL" coach in the SEC should be able to squeak out 1 or 2 wins or he doesn't deserve to be at Arkansas. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

dman

PorcineSublime

Quote from: opineonswine on January 23, 2006, 09:09:43 am
If we get really good pitching from the starters and the bullpen I think the offense will be there.
Nice, an applaud for you. A return to the CWS would make all this seem like "so last year". ;)
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

hogfancb

If we get really good pitching from the starters and the bullpen I think the offense will be there.
Quote from: PorcineSublime on January 23, 2006, 10:23:59 am
Nice, an applaud for you. A return to the CWS would make all this seem like "so last year". ;)

Aren't we talking football?

PorcineSublime

As for FB, I see 8-4 and a loss in the bowl against whoever we play. Then HDN declares that Gus is not ready for OC responsibilities and takes over calling the plays.

Just Kidding, but I doubt we do better than 8-4 next year. The year after should be the one that we have all been waiting for.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: PorcineSublime on January 23, 2006, 10:27:16 am
As for FB, I see 8-4 and a loss in the bowl against whoever we play. Then HDN declares that Gus is not ready for OC responsibilities and takes over calling the plays.

Just Kidding, but I doubt we do better than 8-4 next year. The year after should be the one that we have all been waiting for.

For some of us, the "one that we have been waithing for" will be the first one with a new coach. 

pheine78

Quote from: hogfan064 on January 23, 2006, 10:11:47 am
3 sure wins are SEMS, Utah State, and ULM. 3 should wins are Vandy, MSU, and Ole Miss. 3 should be losses are LSU, Auburn, and Southern Cal. That leaves 3 tossups with UT, Bama, and South Carolina. I'm going with 7-5 and a Liberty Bowl Birth against UTEP.
Sounds about right.  But I am hoping for sooo much more
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

PorcineSublime

Quote from: hogfancb on January 23, 2006, 10:26:19 am
Quote from: PorcineSublime on January 23, 2006, 10:23:59 am

Aren't we talking football?
Sorry, it just seems nice to have anticipation of something good happening. I am pumped about the basbeball Hogs.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: dubyacee on January 23, 2006, 10:28:34 am

For some of us, the "one that we have been waithing for" will be the first one with a new coach. 
I think that is why I said "should be". We all remember 2003 when we were supposed to challenge for the SEC crown and played Misery in the Weed Eater bowl. One never knows how a season will go until it happens.

hogfan064

Anything better than 8-4 would be a tremendous coaching job.  You got to figure Auburn, LSU, and Southern Cal are almost certain losses.  If we win the rest I think that would be a great job of coaching. That would mean wins over Bama, UT, and USC on the road.  9-3 gets us a Cotton I'm sure.

ICEman

If the young sprinters come along, I think a 39.2 or better is possible in the 4 x 100.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

WILL CLINTON

I hope we have a great season, at least 9 wins.  That will almost guarantee that HDN goes elsewhere.  I think that we should expect our coach to win one of those "should be losses" games once a year.  To me that is what separates the coaches who belong in the SEC, and the ones who should be assistant coaches in the Mountain Valley West Conference. 

pbjones81

great.....now instead of "wait until next year", we're waiting 2 YEARS??  nice

hogsanity

8-4 or 9-3 after the last 2 years would be a great step forward.   

THat being saud.  I said weeks ago that anything less than 8-4 shoud result in everyone being fired, INCLUDING JFB. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HighOnHogs

I'm gonna wait to see what Phil Steele says.   ;D

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: Chappeee on January 23, 2006, 08:07:48 am

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!

Buford T. Justice

January 23, 2006, 02:19:39 pm #22 Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 02:22:28 pm by Buford T. Justice
Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 23, 2006, 02:11:22 pm
Quote from: Chappeee on January 23, 2006, 08:07:48 am

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny stuff right there!!!!!!!  National Championship??????????  I'm a Hog fan and an optomist but even I don't see a NC in the near future. 

I see 6 to 7 wins next year and losing in a bowl game.

hogsNbeer

Sunshine pumpers..   We LOST TO VANDY at home...NUTT loses too much at home for that to even be discussion as to having the big games at home...What a joke....  Nutt goes 6-6 this year......3-1 non, 3-5 Conference......... and that will constitute a contract extension for Nutt and then I will go shoot myself.....  :puke:   

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: hogsNbeer on January 23, 2006, 02:29:50 pm
Sunshine pumpers.. We LOST TO VANDY at home...NUTT loses too much at home for that to even be discussion as to having the big games at home...What a joke.... Nutt goes 6-6 this year......3-1 non, 3-5 Conference......... and that will constitute a contract extension for Nutt and then I will go shoot myself..... :puke:

Nutt will not be here after next year.  If he wins big, he takes another job, if he loses he's fired. 

dirthog

Dick as well as monk flourish in the Gus Bus 7-5 or 8-4.  MM, AN redshirt jones and macfadden both have 1000 + season
"This is no dress rehearsal, we are professionals and this is the big time"- Waylon Jennings

hogsNbeer

I seem to recall some of you also predicting 8 and 9 wins last year.... and the year before.......   So what have you seen that makes you think that will happen this year......LAW OF AVERAGES?     Is it because most teams will be down from this year....... Don't bet on it......   Auburn, Alabama, and LSU will still contend for the West...... They reload, we rebuild over 8 years....... National Championship under Construction...... Anybody remember that?     We're still doing the dirt work...   

Boner

Some just assume we'll win 8 games or more.  The schedule will be tough.

We should win the 3 easy OOC games and MSU.

-Vandy should be a win, but look at this year.  And its in Nashville.
-Ole Miss is not nearly the guarantee it was last week.  You think our Qb play was bad last year?  They just shored that up with Schaeffer who will play right away.
-Bama loses a lot, but still will have the talent to beat us.
-S. Car beat us this year in Fayetteville, not sure why they can't next year in Columbia.
-Tenn will be back.  If they get anything from the Qb position they'll be in contention for the East next year.  Cut will help.
-Aub. will be pre-season top 10.
-LSU will be pre-season top 5.
-USC loses a lot, but will have will so much freakin' talent.

Not saying any are definate losses, because they're not.  But I bet we lose some games that many think are definate wins.  If HDN wins 8 against that schedule, hats off to him. 

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

Pig Power

I agree.. Anything less than 8 wins would be awful.

LRCentralTiger

Hawgin84

Quote from: dubyacee on January 23, 2006, 02:43:33 pm
Quote from: hogsNbeer on January 23, 2006, 02:29:50 pm
Sunshine pumpers.. We LOST TO VANDY at home...NUTT loses too much at home for that to even be discussion as to having the big games at home...What a joke.... Nutt goes 6-6 this year......3-1 non, 3-5 Conference......... and that will constitute a contract extension for Nutt and then I will go shoot myself..... :puke:

Nutt will not be here after next year. If he wins big, he takes another job, if he loses he's fired.

That is a very reasonable assessment. I think you may be right.