Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

flying under the radar

Started by JackJohnson, January 22, 2006, 11:00:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JackJohnson

is a typical term i hear every year when it comes down to the last few weeks of arkansas' recruiting as we continually have to move further and further down our list for recruits.

tell me how a player at one of the most renown schools in the country can fly under the radar when you go to shreveport evangel.  that is a must stop for most every school each year.

then tell me how we can go into bainbridge, georgia for a couple of players when another guy on their team is a 4 star committed to home state UGA and had offers from most of the big timers.  Somehow OUR coaches saw something that teams that actually WIN didn't see??

same goes for a WR at Dallas Carter that Dudley is raving about that NO ONE else was on has a player on his team that is going to TT and had offers from OU, amongst others.

I just don't see how our coaches can continually come up with this darn then wonder why we are continually undermanned.

For every Bua and Hamlin that we have signed, there are twice as many Leroy Hoods Myron Hargons, Brandon Mayweathers, Rick Culberts, etc. that don't pan out. 

I don't care what the star ratings our on recruits.  Hell for that matter, we can sign a class of 1 stars, what MATTERS is who else has offered, and each and every year we have one of the lowest ratios of players in our classes that were offered by other BCS schools not only in our league, but in all the other BCS conferences.  We are down there with the Vandy's, Baylors and Dukes when it comes to the other bcs conferences when it comes to players that had few if any bcs offers. 

Pragmatic PiG

You mean the hogs aren't having their best recruiting class EVER????????

Say it ain't so........ ::)

Biggus Piggus

Jack, the answer is...

This year, like most, Nutt and staff whiffed on gobs of kids they had been pursuing since last summer.  They had to scramble to fill out the class.  That means evaluating players on film, asking coaches for their sleeper candidates, and offering kids basically on their physical measurables and longshot potential.  It does mean taking kids who were left after everybody and I mean everybody else had been through to take whom they wanted.  It does mean not getting the best players off high school teams but some step down from that, and it does mean getting kids who didn't win titles or possibly anything else in some cases.  Does it mean they'll all be busts?  I'll let them show up and play before pretending to be able to hand down that sentence.  But it's blooming obvious what is going on.  What seems to be different this year though is they are targeting players who have better raw physical attributes than the ones they wasted offers on in the past.  In the past, they offered kids who were easy to spin into being stars, even though they were not going to be players on the next level.  This year, getting better size-speed ratio types, as well as some injured kids who otherwise would have been well regarded prospects.
[CENSORED]!

Ugly Uncle

Usually guys that fly under the radar crash and burn.  I hope this class is made up of a ton of Hamlins.  I like that we will be giving some kids the chance.  But, goodness...can't we get some good recruits before the final hour?  It's like my dad who only did his Christmas shopping on Christmas eve....all the best stuff was already gone.

Go get us some "sleepers" Gus.  Get us some "stealth" guys Reggie.  Let's wake them up and make some noise the next couple of years.
Retired Radio Host