Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Off topic, but I'm waiting to hear about commits... coon hunting in NWA

Started by Hog6, January 22, 2006, 09:34:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog6

I grew up in NWA.  My dad had 33 acres out east of Goshen.  We had a neighbor who had a still, or access to one, and loved to coon hunt.  Lots of times he would drop by our house and ask me if I would go hunting with him.  He called me "high pockets" because I was a pretty tall kid.  We traipsed around thousands of acres in search of the tough little coon.  Pug invited me because I could usually shoot the coon between the eyes with a .22 and not damage the pelt.  Anyone else know how to coon hunt?  This guys' name was Pug Gayer.

Goshen
Lawrence "Pug" Gayer, 95, of Goshen died Friday, Oct. 8, 2004, at his home.

He was born Oct. 3, 1909, in Goshen to John Henry and Callie White Gayer.

He was a member of Hope Baptist Church and Goshen Masonic Lodge. He was a farmer and past chicken grower and an avid fisherman, hunter and baseball player.

He is survived by his wife of 71 years, Ruth Gayer of the home; four sons, Gordon Gayer and his wife, Glenda, of Wesley, Rance Gayer and his wife, Jane, of Wheeler, Corley "Pete" Gayer and his wife, Linda, of Habberton, and Russell Gayer and his wife, Connie, of Goshen; 10 grandchildren; 12 great-grandchildren; and two great-greatgrandchildren. Visitation will be from 2-4 p.m. today at Beard's Funeral Chapel. Services will be at 10 a.m. Monday at Goshen United Methodist Church with the Rev. Eldon Bagwell officiating. Burial will be in Goshen Cemetery. Pallbearers will be David Gayer, Mark Gayer, Brian Gayer, Mike Gayer, Steve Gayer and Jessie Gayer. The family requests that memorials be made to Circle of Life Hospice, 610 E. Emma Ave., Springdale 72764.

hogattack21

It may be wrong, but it sure feels right.

Sonofahog

I have heard of him.  I went to school with Mike and Steve Gayer.  Sorry to hear about this.
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

Thrilbilly

I used to Coon Hunt all the time. Still have a old walker out of Nocturnal Nailer in my back yard. It is a great sport and a really good thing for a kid to do in my opinion. My hats off to your friend for getting you in the woods. Sorry to hear he passed but sounded like he had a long full life.

Hog6

Quote from: Thrilbilly on January 22, 2006, 09:39:20 pm
I used to Coon Hunt all the time. Still have a old walker out of Nocturnal Nailer in my back yard. It is a great sport and a really good thing for a kid to do in my opinion. My hats off to your friend for getting you in the woods. Sorry to hear he passed but sounded like he had a long full life.

Yes he did have a full life.  I went into the Army in 1977 and lost track of ol Pug Gayer but my dad fished with him until 15 yrs or so ago.  Wonderful pioneer type family and an expert, I mean expert hunter and fisherman.

CorningHog

I played softball a few times with Brian if that is the drywall folks.  Sorry to hear about that but he is in a much better place now since he obviously was a Christian man.  Tell someone the dates show Oct 8, 2004 as the date he passed, just thought I would let you know Hog6
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

hog caller

yes i know hopw to coon hunt even with a carbide light. my granpaw used to take me hunting on the black river
and seven mile island on the original str fracis river because now what they call the river is really a dragline ditch

gradn pa raised black and tan hounds and keprt the best and sold the rest. my dad had a blue tick named old blue and he was tall enough to rear up on a tree and tell if the coon had jumped off and took another trail

disabled now but wold love to go once again but just can't.

i now have a blue tick and his name is old blue. this is a NEA boy that loved to hunt fish and trap.

hog caller

sorry for the spelling on my last post . i'll try to do better in the future or maybe not.

Hog6

Hey hog caller, spelling is way over rated. I am damn glad to hear from folks who know what its like to live in a society that does not give them every thing. 

johnny cash

Sorry to hear about that.  Sounds like we lost a great man and fellow outdoorsmen.  Ive enjoyed coon hunting in the past.  Ive been around some of the best hounds in the ozarks.  Any hunting is a great thing to get kids involved in. 

HatfieldHog

What a great Fraternity, I used to go coon hunting back in Stone County, in those mountians above South Sylamore creek.  There was this old man who had good coon hounds.  I've seen the coon go into a hole in a bluff, and the old man would have to put a rope on the dog, and drag him away from the bluff.  There is something bout hearing that bawling hound off in the distance in the pitch black night, that just get's the blood stiring.  God rest your old friend. 

It's sad to see that greatest generation of Americans pass, but it is happening, none the less.    God help you in your grief,    See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!