Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who would you rather have starting for your pro team?

Started by T-hawg, January 22, 2006, 05:38:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

T-hawg

Tom Brady with all of those SuperBowl Rings

OR

Ben Roethlisberger, who is in his 2nd year and is 1-1 in AFC Championships, just went 21 for 29 with 275 yards and just won 3 on the road. This guy is the most amazing QB that I've seen in a long time. He is big and has a nice touch on the football.

I pick Big Ben.
I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Brett Hitman Hog

Quote from: thog on January 22, 2006, 05:38:31 pm

OR

Ben Roethlisberger, who is in his 2nd year and is 1-1 in AFC Championships, just went 21 for 29 with 275 yards and just won 3 on the road. This guy is the most amazing QB that I've seen in a long time. He is big and has a nice touch on the football.

I pick Big Ben.

I'll still go with Brady .. Ben hasn't REALLY done anything yet to take the place of Brady as the Uberkid.

jrw11475

I would take Tom Brady anyday the guy is a competitor.

Zen_Hog

3kgthog

Tom Brady because he at least knows how to shave and I'm tired of Gentle Ben's Fat Head commercials.

Sonofahog

Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

Galleywinter

Broken Trigger

Quote from: Galleywinter on January 22, 2006, 06:45:22 pm
I'm takin Ben, but I'm biased.

Same here.  I have been a Steelers fan since the 70's, so i have gotta say Ben.  Of course, you gotta realize that Ben has only lost like 2 games when he has been healthy.  He is a competitor and a winner. 

Galleywinter

Same here. No pro teams around here, so growing up in the 70's, It was the Steelers and the Reds. Been a big fan ever sense. Been rough on my Reds. But hey. Just like the hogs. Got to be fan with good or bad times. today is a good day to be a Steeler fan.

Nutts and Bolts

A new era has begun in Fayetteville

T-hawg

You got to be kiddin me! Some tool comes in a gives a Mitch reference? He may have the POTENTIAL to be good in college and beyond, but he has yet to play a down past the HS level. Now, close your mouth, breath through your nose and give an answer to the question.

hSv, your Cowboys are terrible.

I thought it was fitting for Bradshaw to help give the NFC trophy to the Seahawks, who will be playing against the Steelers. If he was a true Steeler, he would have let someone else (James Brown) do the presentation. But he is also a tool. Go Seahawks!
I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: thog on January 22, 2006, 05:38:31 pm

OR

I pick Big Ben.

I am a HUGE Steeler fan since I was 5 years old, but this is a no brainer.  I love Big Ben, but you have to go with Brady. duh
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

cookie52

The Steelers may suck, but they're going to win Super Bowl XL. Book it.

dmhog v2.0

I'd take Peyton Manning over either of them in a second. Peyton will go down as the greatest QB to play the game next to Montana after it's all said and done. He's definitely the smartest.

hogwild84

Brady

You can only be considered a great so much as in numbers before you have to look at how many championships the person has one. Brady is a proven winner.  We look at Montana at lot better than Marino bc he never one the big one. Yes, DM will go to the Hall of Fame, but JM has the qualities of a winner just like Brady.  But who knows? maybe in 5 years after Big Ben has won 3 or 4 Superbowls I might change my mind

WichitaStateRazorback

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 23, 2006, 01:41:28 am
I'd take Peyton Manning over either of them in a second. Peyton will go down as the greatest QB to play the game next to Montana after it's all said and done. He's definitely the smartest.
May be the only thing I agree with you on.

Pragmatic PiG

I'd still take Brady even if what you posted was true. Winning sure counts for something, doesn't it?

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on January 23, 2006, 02:08:03 am

I'd still take Brady even if what you posted was true. Winning sure counts for something, doesn't it?

It does. But the Colts will win it all next year. They would have won it this year if Dungy didn't have the unfortunate incident with his son's suicide. Manning will at least match Brady's ring total by the time his career is over.

Lando Calrissian

Tom Brady, by far.

Peyton tries to shoulder too much of the load, and don't get me wrong, he's a GREAT player, but that stuff doesn't fly in the NFL.

At some point, the fact that Peyton calls all the plays becomes counter-productive, as he has too many other things he should really be concerning himself with.  No matter how well he knows the playbook, that knowledge doesn't compensate for spur-of-the-moment game time decisions.

I hate to bring up Nutt in a conversation like this, but the load that Peyton tries to shoulder kinda reminds me of the pressure Nutt "used" to force upon himself.

The head coach, much like the quarterback, has too many things which they need to concern themselves with on a play-to-play basis.

That's why God created offensive coordinators.  Head coaches & quarterbacks obviously have to have that input, but both jobs require too much extra-curricular thinking to shoulder all of the duties PLUS managing every facet of the offense.

As far as Tom Brady goes, you don't win 3 Superbowls in 4 years just because you look good in commercials.  The man can play.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 23, 2006, 02:14:43 am
Tom Brady, by far.

Peyton tries to shoulder too much of the load, and don't get me wrong, he's a GREAT player, but that stuff doesn't fly in the NFL.

At some point, the fact that Peyton calls all the plays becomes counter-productive, as he has too many other things he should really be concerning himself with.  No matter how well he knows the playbook, that knowledge doesn't compensate for spur-of-the-moment game time decisions.

I hate to bring up Nutt in a conversation like this, but the load that Peyton tries to shoulder kinda reminds me of the pressure Nutt "used" to force upon himself.

The head coach, much like the quarterback, has too many things which they need to concern themselves with on a play-to-play basis.

That's why God created offensive coordinators.  Head coaches & quarterbacks obviously have to have that input, but both jobs require too much extra-curricular thinking to shoulder all of the duties PLUS managing every facet of the offense.

As far as Tom Brady goes, you don't win 3 Superbowls in 4 years just because you look good in commercials.  The man can play.

Product of the system.

The sad thing is, Peyton would make a GREAT offensive coordinator some day, but with the money these guys make now, I doubt you'll see too many f the geniuses (like Manning) ever pursue it.

Ugly Uncle

Manning has performance anxiety.  He can't  win the big one.  I would have to go with Brady...or the old man Favre.
Retired Radio Host

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: dmhog v2.0The sad thing is, Peyton would make a GREAT offensive coordinator some day

You might be right, who knows.

Here's what I do know:  He can't play quarterback AND be offensive coordinator at the same time.

The proof is in the pudding.

Every player EVER is the "product of a system".

Tom Brady won 3 Superbowls in 4 years.

I'm one who has absolutely no NFL leanings in any direction.  I love watching the NFL, so all I know is what I see on the field.

Tom Brady is a better quarterback than Peyton Manning.

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 23, 2006, 02:26:02 am
Quote from: dmhog v2.0The sad thing is, Peyton would make a GREAT offensive coordinator some day

Tom Brady is a better quarterback than Peyton Manning.

No he is not. Put the stats up against each other and see who's best. Who has more MVPs? The Pats may have a better coach and/or scheme, but Manning is the best QB in the NFL. Period.

Ugly Uncle

Who has more Superbowl MVP's?  Oh, wait, that is right...Manning can't even get there.
Retired Radio Host

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 23, 2006, 02:39:12 am
Who has more Superbowl MVP's?  Oh, wait, that is right...Manning can't even get there.

It's not Manning's fault that the rest of the team wasn't as meshed as the Patriots. Dexter freaking Jackson has a SUper Bowl MVP. Is he one of the best safety's in the NFL? No. That means jack. Put the stats next to each other. Brady is a product of the system. Put him on any other NFL team under any other NFL coach and he's average, at best. Manning, however, will still pick defenses apart.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: dmhog v2.0Put the stats up against each other and see who's best. Who has more MVPs? The Pats may have a better coach and/or scheme, but Manning is the best QB in the NFL. Period.

I'm sure Peyton has more yards and more touchdowns.  Shoot, I'm willing to bet that the stats, both offensively and defensively for Petyon's teams are better, overall.

I'm not doubting Petyon's great ability to call a game on his own.  What I'm saying is, he's never going to win a Superbowl doing that. 

Speaking of Superbowls...

Naw, you don't want to go there.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 23, 2006, 02:43:19 am
Quote from: dmhog v2.0Put the stats up against each other and see who's best. Who has more MVPs? The Pats may have a better coach and/or scheme, but Manning is the best QB in the NFL. Period.

I'm sure Peyton has more yards and more touchdowns.  Shoot, I'm willing to bet that the stats, both offensively and defensively for Petyon's teams are better, overall.

I'm doubting Petyon's great ability to call a game on his own.  What I'm saying is, he's never going to win a Superbowl doing that. 

Peyton will win as many Super Bowls as Brady. He's too good not to. He would have it this year, easily, if the coach's son didn't off hisself.

Lando Calrissian

Speaking of which, Ben Roethlisberger is playing in a Superbowl in two weeks.

I saw him scramble away from about 5 Bronco defenders today and then hit Heinz Ward right on the money in the back of the end zone.

I have never seen Peyton do anything like that, ESPECIALLY in a game that actually matters.

Crushing the Arizona Cardinals in the regular season is fine and dandy.

The post-season is when the big boys come out to play.

Ugly Uncle

LOL...what makes you think that?  Tell me one big game that PM has won?  Not once in his whole career.  PM folds under pressure...and like Nutt blames other people.

Truly, only time will tell...but I don't think he gets one, much less three.
Retired Radio Host

dmhog v2.0

Big Ben is going to have a nightmare with the Seattle defense.

He's nowhere near ready. Just watch.

Manning is the best QB in the NFL, hands down. If I had to pick any QB to lead my team, it'd be him. No questions asked.

The question is, who would I want to start for my team? I pick Manning, even though he wasn't an intial choice. You plug him into any lineup, and he'll win games. You can put almost any QB in the Patriots offense and they'll be exactly the same. Manning picks apart defenses. He reads them better than any QB in NFL history. He'll get his rings. Dungy wil get that defense to be as good as he had it in Tampa, and Manning will lead his team to the title. I'd be willing to bet he'll win at least 4 titles in his career.

Ugly Uncle

Manning is a very good QB when everything is perfect.  That doesn't happen very often.  He has great skill and passing touch when he is not under pressure.  Most QB's don't.  You can't put him in the QB class of a Montana, Bradshaw or any other QB that has taken his team to the top.  Everyone is saying that the kicker lost the game for Indy last week.  Manning lost that game.  Had it not been for a terrible call by the refs and a freak fumble...everyone would have been laughing at Manning.  He hasn't proven ONE TIME, that he has what it takes.  Anyone can play well when they have the great weapons around them and plenty of time.  Put a bit of pressure on him like SD and Denver and he melts.  Move on to another QB.  Manning will continue to rack up numbers in that "system" but he will not pull one off in the near future, and his time is running out.  Which is okay, because he will be able to blame somebody for his failings again.
Retired Radio Host

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 23, 2006, 02:59:40 am
Manning is a very good QB when everything is perfect.  That doesn't happen very often.  He has great skill and passing touch when he is not under pressure.  Most QB's don't.  You can't put him in the QB class of a Montana, Bradshaw or any other QB that has taken his team to the top.  Everyone is saying that the kicker lost the game for Indy last week.  Manning lost that game.  Had it not been for a terrible call by the refs and a freak fumble...everyone would have been laughing at Manning.  He hasn't proven ONE TIME, that he has what it takes.  Anyone can play well when they have the great weapons around them and plenty of time.  Put a bit of pressure on him like SD and Denver and he melts.  Move on to another QB.  Manning will continue to rack up numbers in that "system" but he will not pull one off in the near future, and his time is running out.  Which is okay, because he will be able to blame somebody for his failings again.

First of all, Manning's never blamed anyone else. Second of all, Manning is the best QB the in the NFL since Elway retired? He will get his Super Bowl rings. Brady cannot touch Manning as far as stats, style, and game management goes. Brady has more help than Manning. If they wre to trade teams, Manning not only would have had 3 Super Bowl MVPs, along with his 2 NFL MVPs, he would have had 5 rings come February.

Once again, the question asked who I would take. I would take Manning. I wouldn't even second guess it? Super Bowl's mean nothing. Who would you take in a big game, Marino or Brady? Anyone in their right mind would pick Marino. He never won the Super Bowl, did he? That means nothing according to the question. I'll take Manning over any QB in history next to Montana.

Pragmatic PiG

January 23, 2006, 03:11:06 am #33 Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 03:15:26 am by Pragmatic PiG
Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 23, 2006, 02:44:48 am
Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 23, 2006, 02:43:19 am

I'm doubting Petyon's great ability to call a game on his own.  What I'm saying is, he's never going to win a Superbowl doing that. 

Peyton will win as many Super Bowls as Brady. He's too good not to. He would have it this year, easily, if the coach's son didn't off hisself.

I can't say that won't happen but there are other factors in winning super bowls than being the best qb, if that is true, look at Marino....

Brady has a super cool demeanor that I really respect and admire, I agree that when its all said n' done for this era, PM will have all the number advantages over Brady.......well except for super bowl rings that is, JMHO

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 23, 2006, 03:09:34 am
Quote from: uglyuncle on January 23, 2006, 02:59:40 am

First of all, Manning's never blamed anyone else. Second of all, Manning is the best QB the in the NFL since Elway retired? He will get his Super Bowl rings. Brady cannot touch Manning as far as stats, style, and game management goes. Brady has more help than Manning. If they wre to trade teams, Manning not only would have had 3 Super Bowl MVPs, along with his 2 NFL MVPs, he would have had 5 rings come February.

Once again, the question asked who I would take. I would take Manning. I wouldn't even second guess it? Super Bowl's mean nothing. Who would you take in a big game, Marino or Brady? Anyone in their right mind would pick Marino. He never won the Super Bowl, did he? That means nothing according to the question. I'll take Manning over any QB in history next to Montana.

I agree with Joe Montana, but I'd take an Elway, a Unitas, maybe even Broadway Joe over PM at this point, oh and of course Brady too

Ugly Uncle

At least you got the Montana thing right.  You think that Elway is better than Favre?  That speaks volumes.  Superbowls mean nothing?  But who would I take in a big game?  Wow...don't understand that logic.

Brady does well in his system.  Manning is a very good QB when everything is perfect.  I would take Marino over everyone except Montana in a clutch game.  Marino seriously never had any help.  He put up numbers with receivers that were less than average.

Manning still can't win the big one.  He has the talent around him.  His numbers show that he folds in the games that matter.  2-6 in playoffs.
Retired Radio Host

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 23, 2006, 03:15:03 am
At least you got the Montana thing right.  You think that Elway is better than Favre?

I do

I have enjoyed watching Favre play over the years but I don't think he's as good as Elway, in the same league but not quite up to Elway's level.

Some of the teams that Elway took to the superbowl in the '80s weren't that special. I always thought the Browns had more talent during that era, yet Elway's clubs always won those matchups

Ugly Uncle

I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder concerning Elway.  I never forgave him for sticking it to the BALTIMORE Colts when he was drafted.  Then he caused the coaching change at Denver because he didn't like the head coach.  i always thought he was a baby.  Stats matter to me, and it is a big thing concerning his 4th Quarter come backs.  However, if you look at those games, Elway almost everytime had bad games until the 4th Quarter, so I never took him serious.  (Check the stats, it is true).  Elway was not (IMO) as good as Marino, Young, Montana, Favre, or...Man, just had a brain freeze...the SD QB....what was his name?  Anyway, this could all be colored by my ultimate dislike for him...but I still don't think he was that great.
Retired Radio Host

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 23, 2006, 03:31:54 am
I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder concerning Elway.  I never forgave him for sticking it to the BALTIMORE Colts when he was drafted.  Then he caused the coaching change at Denver because he didn't like the head coach.  i always thought he was a baby.  Stats matter to me, and it is a big thing concerning his 4th Quarter come backs.  However, if you look at those games, Elway almost everytime had bad games until the 4th Quarter, so I never took him serious.  (Check the stats, it is true).  Elway was not (IMO) as good as Marino, Young, Montana, Favre, or...Man, just had a brain freeze...the SD QB....what was his name?  Anyway, this could all be colored by my ultimate dislike for him...but I still don't think he was that great.

Fouts.......

Well everybody is going to have a different take on who is the best and so forth down the list but all of those names you listed were pretty special including JE.

What's interesting about Elway is that he had the rep much like PM has now for most of his career considering big games, although at least Elway went to the biggest game fairly often.

After they beat the pack, that all went away.......just like that. It could happen to manning as well..........I kinda hope it doesn't as I really don't care for manning much like you don't like elway

Ugly Uncle

Oh, don't get me wrong...I like Manning only a little more than I like Elway...

I told a buddy of mine I would take Q. Carter as a fantasy QB over Manning...simply because of my feelings for Manning.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

On another note.  Elway often lacked the talent around him that Manning has had.  Elway finally won the Superbowl thanks to his running game.  Manning has great WR and a really good RB.  Manning just causes that team to implode.  Elway at the very least didn't implode.
Retired Radio Host

Pragmatic PiG

Seriously? Q carter no less........not exactly a fantasy juggernaut   :o

I like to win so I'd take him (PM), at least for trade value

Ugly Uncle

Yeah, well, I've won two of the last three years...

I have Ladanian Tomlinson, Steve Smith, Moss (the little one), and Chicago's defense and a few others that put me over the top.

I finished second last year won the year before...won this year.  (keeper league)

So, I am willing to gamble on not taking Manning.  .
Retired Radio Host