Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruit Quantity verse Quality

Started by FaulknerHogfan, January 22, 2006, 01:51:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FaulknerHogfan

I don't know about the rest of the Hog Nation, but I am excited about the quality of the recruits!  As you are aware it takes one or two great recruits to drive you to the next level i.e., Texas this year with Vince Young!  I believe the addition of Mitch and the revived Defense and the new coaching staff we will have ALLOT to look for the few years and years to come.  Games will be fun with the Gus Bus and MM throwing to Marcus and God willing DW I & II.  Let's not forget the tandem two in the back field.  A duel threat offense WINS, Period!  The throw will open up the run and the run with open up the throw.  Add a defense that plays with intensity and with our defense coordinator the attitudes are a direct reflection of the leadership! 

Hogs fans, we should expect to win 7 or 8 next year and then be a true power house contender! 

ZAP743

You mentioned DW I & II. Well DW II from down in Ashdown, i'll tell ya is very underrated. Being from Prescott, I've got to see him play a few times, and this guy is good. I think they have him as a 2 star recruit on rivals, but he is better than that. Plus he is HUGE!!

He'd be a real steal!

FaulknerHogfan

Thats all I hear about that kid!  From what I understand he has made a commitment to Houston Cougars, but was willing to de commit if AR was to offer him.  Someone of his size would make a great slot back for the pitch pass if MM or Casey Dick was being blitzed!

Biggus Piggus

Hope we get some pass rushers and a real headhunting safety.
[CENSORED]!

ZAP743

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 22, 2006, 05:41:34 pm
Hope we get some pass rushers and a real headhunting safety.

From everything I've heard, the Juco guy we got, John West, is going to be a really good safety. And someone said on here today that the guy we got last year Kevin Thornton (i believe was his name) is going to be a good one!!

Oklahawg

Is that the same Thorton who is already thought to be a bust because he is way slower than advertised, and didn't handle the tryout at OLB?

We are getting solid, but not spectacular, commits. For every impact like MM there is an Adrian Davis. He is a 6-4 x 195 safety who may wind up at OLB. From Texas, he was out most of his junior year due to injury. It took him a bit to get going this fall, and anyone who has had a serious injury knows that you don't just forget about it. He is a typical UA target the last few years.

Flying under the radar, he's certainly passes the eyeball test and projects nicely. Seems like a good kid and a great job of "search and sign" by the staff. The drawback to so many guys like this--they play for smaller schools, play multiple positions (often recruited as an "athlete", meaning the staff will figure out where to play them in August, or later), and often play multiple sports. They don't see top-flight competition and the loss of practice and playing time due to injury slows the development. You don't count on these kids until they've redshirted.

West may provide the impact safety we need. We're still in on Mister Alexander (love the name) who would be an impact safety as well. I don't see the DE, unless Chris Wade commits to UA. Its still a possibility, but not the likelihood it should have been. He was a huge UA lean all summer and fall, but somehow we couldn't close the deal, letting KState into the mix.

I don't see the other DE types being able to come in and help right away. I might be wrong.

I am less than thrilled with the pattern of recruiting at UA. I am downright pissed that we walk away from a good battle for great players. I am outraged that we lack the moxie to go toe-to-toe strategically with many schools. Wood may be fixing that on offense. I think Herring is fixing it some on defense. At the least, Herring is targeting players he wants. He's not running helter skelter throughout the south. Maybe Wood + Malzahn will make that go away after this year.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ZAP743

I don't know a lot about the Thornton guy. I was looking at the last couple of recruiting classes, and noticed some of the 4 & 5 star recruits, and someone on here said something about him stepping up this year.

Also, I really wish that Fred Bledsoe could finally get things straightened up and play like he's capable of. If not that is one major waste of talent!! b/c he was GOOD! I'd love to see him turn things around!! That Carlton Salters from what I understand is supposed to be a pretty good player. It would really be nice if he could bring his friend from High School. That CB (i forget his name, its something weird like Jenije, or something like that!