Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alex Wood calling plays today?

Started by louisianahawg, January 22, 2006, 02:51:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

louisianahawg

I heard that Alex Wood called many of the plays today in the Shrine Game.  If that's the case, look out because all they did was pass, pass, pass, run.  Throw a little GUS in the mix and Hot Damn!!!  We also have better backs than Dearrius Howard.  The run will be leathal.

Ugly Uncle

I missed it...who won the game today?
Retired Radio Host

louisianahawg

The West Won.  D'Arrius Howard was stuffed at the goal line with no time left to play. I though Nutt and the Murry State mafia did a great job of play calling.  I saw Herring working with the Defense.  I hope that he can get his system like he wants it.  I also hope that we can produce a STUD like Merriman when Herring was at Maryland.  That Defense was a wrecking crew.

Ugly Uncle

LOL...typical Nutt call at the end huh?  If Peyton couldn't do it...what made you think Howard could?  I bet the coaches were loving the fact that Nutt was calling the play at the end.  No doubt what the play was going to be.
Retired Radio Host

SwineOnTheLine

Quote from: louisianahawg on January 22, 2006, 03:15:39 am
The West Won. D'Arrius Howard was stuffed at the goal line with no time left to play. I though Nutt and the Murry State mafia did a great job of play calling. I saw Herring working with the Defense. I hope that he can get his system like he wants it. I also hope that we can produce a STUD like Merriman when Herring was at Maryland. That Defense was a wrecking crew.
Herring was never at Maryland.He coached at NC State.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 22, 2006, 03:17:31 am
LOL...typical Nutt call at the end huh? If Peyton couldn't do it...what made you think Howard could? I bet the coaches were loving the fact that Nutt was calling the play at the end. No doubt what the play was going to be.

HDN was trying to let DH win the game.  Nothing wrong with the call.  The guy had only scored 3 TD's.  The West hadn't stopped him down there all day.  It was an exciting game.

HDN and the Hogs brought good, positive exposure for the program. 

HogsFan66

I agree with TulsaHog. For tjhose who didn't see the game. DH had scored 3 TD's already and having a pretty good day. It came down to the last second. The East made a nice pass completion that got them down to the 1 yard line with only 1 second on the clock and NO time-outs left. I think there would have been several successful coachs in America call a running play in that situation. If your ALL-STAR (at least that what they were calling the players all day) can't get you 1 stinking yard then you deserve to lose. If those front guys can't suck it up and win the game they deserve to lose. It wasn't like he had a time-out to think about it, or had enough time to run 3 or 4 plays.

Cure

Ya..that play was a call you can't get mad at...He wanted the Senior back (who hardly got any PT during the end of the year at the U of A) to win the game....What's the matter with that...He and his staff did a good job at the game...Hats off to them..Now lets get to this offseason...Next year is highly anticipated ;D :razorback:
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

spahoopsfan

I say there was something wrong with the play. It didn't work. When Nutt calls that play it simply doesn't work. I didn't see all the touchdowns runs by Howard but I did see at least one and that was a run toward the outside. The quarterback had been successful all day making something happen by scrambling. I say give yourself more than one option. I understand why Nutt did it and that was for Howard to win player of the game, which he would have gotten if he had scored. But maybe that was what the other coaches were thinking also. If you took a poll of all razorback fans I bet 90% would have said that was going to be the call.

Hogster18

I was excited about the play calling as well and hope it is a sign of things to come.  Gotta give credit credit to HDN for the loyalty to D.Howard. It seemed like the East coaches were giving him all of the opportunities to increase his draft status. His stats weren't gawdy, but if he makes that last touchdown, he is the MVP of the game.

SwineOnTheLine

its hard to say it was "playcalling" considering the playbook consisted of 12 offensive plays.I really believe HDN is ready to accept his role as CEO and let the real coordinators coordinate.

Skip Foreplay

Quote from: SwineOnTheLine on January 22, 2006, 07:23:11 am
Quote from: louisianahawg on January 22, 2006, 03:15:39 am
The West Won. D'Arrius Howard was stuffed at the goal line with no time left to play. I though Nutt and the Murry State mafia did a great job of play calling. I saw Herring working with the Defense. I hope that he can get his system like he wants it. I also hope that we can produce a STUD like Merriman when Herring was at Maryland. That Defense was a wrecking crew.
Herring was never at Maryland.He coached at NC State.
Herring was too at Maryland...  but he was not coaching Maryland  As you said he was coaching NC State.

HouTxRzbck

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 22, 2006, 03:17:31 am
LOL...typical Nutt call at the end huh? If Peyton couldn't do it...what made you think Howard could? I bet the coaches were loving the fact that Nutt was calling the play at the end. No doubt what the play was going to be.

I can't believe Nutt is getting called out on this.  Ridiculous.  The ball was at the one, so you would hand the ball off to the person that has given you three TD's during the day.  Plus the 'D' line was in the backfield before the ball was even handed off.  Do you realize they only had about 10 plays even drawn up.  Three of them were run plays.  This is not Nutts decision, these are the shrine rules.  Plus Nutt had better things to do than coach this game.  I really don't think he was concerned about the type of play that needed to be run.
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

SwineOnTheLine

Quote from: spahoopsfan on January 22, 2006, 11:02:10 am
I say there was something wrong with the play. It didn't work. When Nutt calls that play it simply doesn't work. I didn't see all the touchdowns runs by Howard but I did see at least one and that was a run toward the outside. The quarterback had been successful all day making something happen by scrambling. I say give yourself more than one option. I understand why Nutt did it and that was for Howard to win player of the game, which he would have gotten if he had scored. But maybe that was what the other coaches were thinking also. If you took a poll of all razorback fans I bet 90% would have said that was going to be the call.
WTH are you talking about? The scrambling QB was on the other team.!! some of the people that post on here are hopelessly lost.The play called was the best play available.They were only allowed 3 running plays and 9 passing plays.F@#K OFF!

Ugly Uncle

So, you are saying that watching the game...you were the only one that didn't know that the ball was going to D. Howard up the middle?  Are you THAT out of touch to be the only one?  Why do you think the defense was in the backfield at the time of the hand off?

Real world is just not a t.v. show you know...try living in it.
Retired Radio Host

mossfan3

yeah Reggie McNeal played for the West.  The East had Basanez from Northwestern and TJack.  TJack didn't run much that I saw.

RAZORBART

HotRodHog

January 22, 2006, 07:54:20 pm #17 Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 07:56:12 pm by HotRodHog
Watched every play - minus a bathroom break or two - however, two things are important to remember in this game.

1.  Offensive could shift, motion, run four wide-out, etc.

2. Defense was base, period. No blitzing allowed, not stunts, nothing, plain vanilla. This of course gave far greater latitude to the offense.

I enjoyed it, because you could see the studs on defense, and it allowed the normally dominate defense, in such instances, to be balanced out.

The play calls were good, but Nutt use his go to guy guite a bit, and D.F. of Texas A&M, got sick of it and used his qb and wide out to even things out. In the end, it was a great game to watch, much better than the bland Hula bowl, which i gave up on, somewhere in the 2 quarter. D.H. looked good, and should make have a chance at making a roster. If anything, as a senior with little time on the field this year, he showed humility, talent, and that makes me proud to know players like that are part of our program. I am a Pig, love the Pigs, and I am looking forward to the next several years. WPSAnd for you so called critics, reactionaries, WPS and go Razorbacks
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something" Dick Butkus

UofA Alumnus

spahoopsfan

Quote from: SwineOnTheLine on January 22, 2006, 01:13:16 pm
Quote from: spahoopsfan on January 22, 2006, 11:02:10 am
WTH are you talking about? The scrambling QB was on the other team.!! some of the people that post on here are hopelessly lost.The play called was the best play available.They were only allowed 3 running plays and 9 passing plays.F@#K OFF!
Sure the west had a scrambling quarterback. But guess what that didn't mean the east didn't. Did you see the last drive? The only reason the east got in position to win was the quarterback who sprinted away from the rush. Your post doesn't make sense evidently that was the best play available. It DIDN'T WORK.

southeasthog

The only reason this thread continues is so the Nutt haters can bash him. I wanted Nutt gone during the season as much as anyone. Bolo1010 can atest to that. But I also  like the way the program is heading now. We can go 11-1 in the regular season next year and the same people will continue to call for his firing. I left the H.I. board bcause there are a couple of idiots over there that blamed HN if rained on gameday. People just get tired of hearing it. I know it is a free board and people can post what they want within the rules but why just keep on? Do you people actually believe that there is another coach that wants to be here and not just use Arkansas as a stepping stone? I have been a Hog fan for a long time and I am excited for the future. Those of you who hate "HDN" have that right but you hurt more than you know by posting on every thread about how much an idiot he is. Don't you think that more than MM mom gets on message boards to get a feel for whats going on? Especially recruits from out of state that have no other way to check schools before visiting. If one of my kids were interested in an out of state school and I read some of the stuff posted on these boards, I would think twice about visiting.

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: southeasthog on January 22, 2006, 10:02:58 pm
The only reason this thread continues is so the Nutt haters can bash him. I wanted Nutt gone during the season as much as anyone. Bolo1010 can atest to that. But I also like the way the program is heading now. We can go 11-1 in the regular season next year and the same people will continue to call for his firing. I left the H.I. board bcause there are a couple of idiots over there that blamed HN if rained on gameday. People just get tired of hearing it. I know it is a free board and people can post what they want within the rules but why just keep on? Do you people actually believe that there is another coach that wants to be here and not just use Arkansas as a stepping stone? I have been a Hog fan for a long time and I am excited for the future. Those of you who hate "HDN" have that right but you hurt more than you know by posting on every thread about how much an idiot he is. Don't you think that more than MM mom gets on message boards to get a feel for whats going on? Especially recruits from out of state that have no other way to check schools before visiting. If one of my kids were interested in an out of state school and I read some of the stuff posted on these boards, I would think twice about visiting.

I agree southeast.  Haters say that "huggers" bring up the HDN stuff.  I have found just the opposite to be true.  You can't have a thread without one of the "haters" bashing HDN.  It gets old.  I don't understand it.  I would rather talk about the hogs, and not HDN.

I am excited about the coming year, and the changes that have taken place.  I look forward to having fun on the hill this year!

Ugly Uncle

Trust me WMHF, I would love to never have to talk about Nutt again also.
Retired Radio Host