Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stan was one firey dude today

Started by silvertip, January 21, 2006, 09:19:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

silvertip

January 21, 2006, 09:19:50 pm Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 09:22:28 pm by silvertip
Well, unlike a bunch of Stan-bashers, I actually got to see a live game today. Stan was running up & down the side-line all day, yelling & jumping up & down; directing the team. It surprised me. You can't see all that on TV, and it sure was a different world from all the "no fire" BS I've been reading about from all the whiners on this board who claim to have seen a bunch of games at BWA.

The diff today was when Stan made the brilliant coaching decision to go to a small line-up. We got up by 16 at one point, and I told the Aubie fans next to me, " Don't mean shiite, we've blown leads like this all year." Auburn was beating us with quickness & drives to the basket. Came back to 6 down.

Stan sat down Townes & Hill, and went small. For at least the last 8 minutes, he went with, what for us is a "small" lineup,  of Thomas, Brewer, Ferguson, Modica, and Jefferson. No Townes or Hill, because Auburn was using quickness to come back. A great coaching adjustment. Don't tell me it wasn't because I called it in my head before it happened---and I saw it happen. 

rayserbach

Thnaks for the on-the-scene analysis!

hogfankb

He mentioned in his post game that he was a little horse. Listening from the radio i didn't think much of it. But if he was as animated as you said it sounds great.

snag

Silvertip, as you can see, that kind of positive commentary on Stan Heath doesn't resonate with many people on this forum. When they find a weakness in your statement, they blast you out of the water. When they have no retort, they just move on and the thread quickly dies.

I appreciate your live report. I was nervous when Stan went small, but it apparently worked out very well. Thomas seemed to be the key. He is somebody to get excited about. His future seems bright. I was surprised that going small didn't mean more time for McCurdy. I guess he lost the confidence of the coach when he had those two quick turnovers against Alabama.

TheUrge68

Sounds like an improvement.  Did he throw any chairs?  I'd pay money to see that!

Seriously though thanks for your view of the coaching which most of us didn't get to see.
Inside me lives a skinny woman trying to get out. I can usually shut the bitch up with cookies - Unknown

Razorod

When a man's job is on the line, he tends to start doing the things he should have been doing a long time ago.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

SAUhogfan

Maybe it's not too late?  Thanks for the info.

Ugly Uncle

Unlike with Nutt...I have not completely given up on Heath.  However, it is going to take more than one game to turn me from the Darkside.  I hope this is a sign of good things to come.  We will wait and see.
Retired Radio Host

JIHawg

Thanks for the report.  I want Stan to work out, but it's time to produce.

silvertip

Quote from: Razorod on January 21, 2006, 10:15:32 pm
When a man's job is on the line, he tends to start doing the things he should have been doing a long time ago.

Tell HDN that. :)

silvertip

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 21, 2006, 10:20:10 pm
Unlike with Nutt...I have not completely given up on Heath. However, it is going to take more than one game to turn me from the Darkside. I hope this is a sign of good things to come. We will wait and see.

The talent is there & keeps rolling in every year. Others may disagree, but I've said before that our seniors are the weakest link on this BB team.
Give me McCury & Ervin, plus Welsh & Weems over what we have in those positions now.

weevilhogg

When I was at the MSU game, Heath was animated as any coach.  He rode the refs like any other coach would do.  He chewed on his players like most coaches do.

In fact, the MSU fans were pissed because they thought Stan had some kind of magical control over what the refs called.

He has his faults, but he's not the "gee aww shucks you guys need to do better" kind of coach that he's sometimes made out to be.

Oh my!

BigHog396

Quote from: silvertip on January 21, 2006, 09:19:50 pm
Well, unlike a bunch of Stan-bashers, I actually got to see a live game today. Stan was running up & down the side-line all day, yelling & jumping up & down; directing the team. It surprised me. You can't see all that on TV, and it sure was a different world from all the "no fire" BS I've been reading about from all the whiners on this board who claim to have seen a bunch of games at BWA.
From a fan with season tickets at BWA.  THAT IS A FIRST, if you are right.  There are only around 10,000 - 12,000 of us who have gotten to see how passive the guy is in over 60 games now.  So you may want to back off of trying to get a read on a guy after seeing him bounce around for one game.  I think one of the previous posts hit the nail on the head... Even the most passive personality will get fired up once they realize their job may be on the line.  It's just a shame that it has taken nearly 4 years of this crap Heath has tried to call Razorback basketball for him to finally get to that point.

zortoes

Stan was running up & down the side-line all day, yelling & jumping up & down; directing the team. It surprised me. You can't see all that on TV, and it sure was a different world from all the "no fire" BS I've been reading about from all the whiners on this board who claim to have seen a bunch of games at BWA.

Yoiu think some one pointed out this site to him?  Reason why we haven't seen it on TV is because it just started happening.  Thank God!

Ugly Uncle

Oh...sorry...thought this thread was saying "Stan was fired today, DUDE!
Retired Radio Host

g.lynn

silvertip, I hope this isn't a hoax.  I've also seen Stan at BWA and have always questioned his "coaching demeanor" and  fearful the team reflected the personality of its coach, as teams often do.  I've also been concerned with the "lack of adjustments" Stan doesn't makes during a game.  This is new and good stuff.  Keep it up Stan!   
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

Pignominious

Quote from: silvertip on January 21, 2006, 11:02:23 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on January 21, 2006, 10:20:10 pm
Unlike with Nutt...I have not completely given up on Heath. However, it is going to take more than one game to turn me from the Darkside. I hope this is a sign of good things to come. We will wait and see.

The talent is there & keeps rolling in every year. Others may disagree, but I've said before that our seniors are the weakest link on this BB team.
Give me McCury & Ervin, plus Welsh & Weems over what we have in those positions now.

I agree with that Silver, unfortunately Modica is a 4 man in a 3 man's body, Ferguson is a pg that never made it and isn't consistant enough, and Dontell just is not a top flight pg.  But Dontell is playing very well.  I think point guard will be a team strength next year.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

HouTxRzbck

The diff today was when Stan made the brilliant coaching decision to go to a small line-up. We got up by 16 at one point, and I told the Aubie fans next to me, " Don't mean shiite, we've blown leads like this all year." Auburn was beating us with quickness & drives to the basket. Came back to 6 down.

Stan sat down Townes & Hill, and went small. For at least the last 8 minutes, he went with, what for us is a "small" lineup,  of Thomas, Brewer, Ferguson, Modica, and Jefferson. No Townes or Hill, because Auburn was using quickness to come back. A great coaching adjustment. Don't tell me it wasn't because I called it in my head before it happened---and I saw it happen. 

I'm glad I heard this from someone that was actually at the game to see things for themselves.
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

silvertip

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 22, 2006, 12:32:53 am
From a fan with season tickets at BWA. THAT IS A FIRST, if you are right. There are only around 10,000 - 12,000 of us who have gotten to see how passive the guy is in over 60 games now. So you may want to back off of trying to get a read on a guy after seeing him bounce around for one game. I think one of the previous posts hit the nail on the head... Even the most passive personality will get fired up once they realize their job may be on the line. It's just a shame that it has taken nearly 4 years of this crap Heath has tried to call Razorback basketball for him to finally get to that point.

This "crap...Razorback basketball" is in a lot better shape than the moron Nolan left it in & is steadily on the rise. Nolan went his FIRST four years with ONE NCAAT win and his LAST four years with ONE NCAAT win. Fact is, Eddie Sutton was a better coach than Nolan & every indication is that Heath is a better recruiter than either. It took Nolan several years to get his program going, and Nolan didn't have to follow an idiot like Nolan.

You want to bet it will take Heath EIGHT damn years to get TWO NCAAT wins?

silvertip

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 22, 2006, 12:32:53 am
From a fan with season tickets at BWA. THAT IS A FIRST, if you are right. There are only around 10,000 - 12,000 of us who have gotten to see how passive the guy is in over 60 games now. So you may want to back off of trying to get a read on a guy after seeing him bounce around for one game. I think one of the previous posts hit the nail on the head... Even the most passive personality will get fired up once they realize their job may be on the line. It's just a shame that it has taken nearly 4 years of this crap Heath has tried to call Razorback basketball for him to finally get to that point.

You have 10,000-12,000 people that authorized you to speak for them?

I repeat, the Heath I saw at Auburn was totally different from what people like you have been saying. I will believe my own eyes, thank you.

Sonofahog

Well Silvertip,  I have seen every game at BWA for the last 4 years and if he was a "firey dude" it would be a first.  No one is doubting what you saw,  it will just take more than one game to convince me.   I hope what you saw is the "New Stan",  because we could sure use him!
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

WilsonHog

Quote from: silvertip on January 22, 2006, 08:29:21 pm
This "crap...Razorback basketball" is in a lot better shape than the moron Nolan left it in & is steadily on the rise. Nolan went his FIRST four years with ONE NCAAT win and his LAST four years with ONE NCAAT win. Fact is, Eddie Sutton was a better coach than Nolan & every indication is that Heath is a better recruiter than either. It took Nolan several years to get his program going, and Nolan didn't have to follow an idiot like Nolan.

Well, silver, since you like to post in such an in-your-face fashion, let me join in.

I care about one thing - wins.

Last year was the NIT year.

This year is the NCAA year. See, I'm not an excuse guy. We could lose all five of our current starters to an outbeak of Typhoid Fever the second half of the season, and on Selection Sunday there would still only be ONE valid question - "Did we make the NCAA Tournament?"
If so, Heath should get another year. If not, piss on him and everyone who supports him. Then fire him.

I could care less who the coach is, football or basketball. I could care less how nice a man he is. That's irrelevant. Win - and win NOW - or get the hell out. 

WichitaStateRazorback

I must say I'm borderline with Heath.

silvertip

Quote from: zortoes on January 22, 2006, 12:38:09 am
Stan was running up & down the side-line all day, yelling & jumping up & down; directing the team. It surprised me. You can't see all that on TV, and it sure was a different world from all the "no fire" BS I've been reading about from all the whiners on this board who claim to have seen a bunch of games at BWA.

Yoiu think some one pointed out this site to him? Reason why we haven't seen it on TV is because it just started happening. Thank God!

The reason you can't see it on TV is that TV focuses on the play on the court, not on the sidelines. You're in la-la land if you think any coach would change his style based on the nonsense you read on a site like this.

You can see a lot more live than you can see on TV. One reason I don't buy the "analysis" of a lot of these posters---concerning Heath's "style"---is that a lot of these same posters are confused as well about what actually happens on the court.

silvertip

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 22, 2006, 08:38:28 pm
Quote from: silvertip on January 22, 2006, 08:29:21 pm

Well, silver, since you like to post in such an in-your-face fashion, let me join in.

I care about one thing - wins.

Last year was the NIT year.

This year is the NCAA year. See, I'm not an excuse guy. We could lose all five of our current starters to an outbeak of Typhoid Fever the second half of the season, and on Selection Sunday there would still only be ONE valid question - "Did we make the NCAA Tournament?"
If so, Heath should get another year. If not, piss on him and everyone who supports him. Then fire him.

I could care less who the coach is, football or basketball. I could care less how nice a man he is. That's irrelevant. Win - and win NOW - or get the hell out. 

If everyone had your attitude, then Nolan would have been fired after his 3rd year. And there were lots of "fans" who wanted that. Sutton had been to 9 straight NCAATs before Nolan arrived. Sutton might have left in a huff, but he left a perrenial top-20 program intact.

Did YOU notice that Nolan never even won a SEC-W division title after Corliss left? That's right---6 years without so much as a SEC division title.
Was that YOU I heard back then saying Nolan should "get out now."?  Or were you one of those making excuses while he ran the program into the ground?

Tell me Wilson, were YOU and your "WIN NOW or get the hell out" attitude---were you one of those who, like me, was saying "give Nolan a chance" after his 1st 2 years? If you were back then, like you are now, then you would have been one of those dummies wanting Nolan's head.
How's that for "in your face." ? 

WilsonHog

January 22, 2006, 09:13:05 pm #25 Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 09:27:40 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: silvertip on January 22, 2006, 09:01:29 pm
If everyone had your attitude, then Nolan would have been fired after his 3rd year. And there were lots of "fans" who wanted that. Sutton had been to 9 straight NCAATs before Nolan arrived. Sutton might have left in a huff, but he left a perrenial top-20 program intact.

Did YOU notice that Nolan never even won a SEC-W division title after Corliss left? That's right---6 years without so much as a SEC division title.
Was that YOU I heard back then saying Nolan should "get out now."? Or were you one of those making excuses while he ran the program into the ground?

Tell me Wilson, were YOU and your "WIN NOW or get the hell out" attitude---were you one of those who, like me, was saying "give Nolan a chance" after his 1st 2 years? If you were back then, like you are now, then you would have been one of those dummies wanting Nolan's head.

Actually, I wasn't one of those people, assjockey.

In Nolan's second season his team posted a .500 record in the SWC, and we went to the NIT. In his third season, we were in the NCAAs, and we had a reamarkable run through most of the next 15 years.

As for Heath, I gave him year one as a losing year. I expected we would be in the NIT in year two, but even though we weren't (and had another losing season) I gave him another season without complaining much. I certainly expected NIT last year, but that didn't happen either, much less the NCAA. In year four, I'm done with losing and with the expectations of the NIT. It's NCAA or hit the road.

By the way, I wanted Nolan gone as early as 1996.

hogfankb

assjockey. Now that is funny.

while i agree with everything you posted i wasnt sure we could get to the NIT in our second year under heath. We had ZERO talent. Should we have made the NIT last year. Did we technically make it? Yes.

I am still not sure that the decision to not go was Heaths. I think the fear of playing an instate school probably had more to do with it (only my opinion). Did the team quit last year? Absolutely. IMO that wasn't the reason we didn't play in the NIT.

I am right there with you WilsonHog as far as this being his year. While I have supported him everyday on here I do think it is NCAA tourny or bust this year.

hog caller

i'm for wins too, but i'm not radical about it. Heat has won more games easch year and as every one knows if we had a good point guard things might, no,would be different.
we need someone who the team respects as a leader to take over the poing and he needs to be ablt to openetrate and shoot from the outside as well. i don't think that's asking to much .

silvertip

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 22, 2006, 09:13:05 pm

Actually, I wasn't one of those people, assjockey.

"assjockey." Now that's mature & classy, Wilson. And you are an "administrator?"  Makes me wonder what it takes. You are the 2nd admin or mod that I have seen behave in such an immature manner. From our personal message exchanges, you know who the other one is.

I would think that an admin or moderator would try to set a civil tone. Lord knows, things get heated enough on this board. Especially when people can't argue without crap like that. FYI, I only call out people when they address me in a tone like that first. What's your excuse? You can save yourself the trouble of addressing me like that again, sonny. I'm ignoring that kind of crap starting now.

Fletch

I like Heath. I wish it would be him to get us back to greatness. However, I must agree with Wilson. There is no reason, none whatsoever, to not be able to make the NCAAT after 4years as a coach. We were left with absolutely nothing when Nolan left, I readily acknowledge that, and to me, we were an NIT caliber team last year even though we declined it. I am fine with that decision as well. But there is no excuse whatsoever not to be able to build an NCAAT team in 4 years. I have never been a Heath basher and vehemently defended him on this board after last years fiasco, but this is it, the time is now, no coach from a program as tradition rich as ours should be given 5 years just to get invited to the NCAAT. Like I have said before, we are decent, but not good. I think even the team with Dean, Pargo, Gipson, etc. would have beaten this Auburn team like a drum and MSU as well. We have a long way to go, but we do have the potential. We are still a couple players short of being really good. I fail to see how anyone can argue that.
I feel like $100

silvertip

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 22, 2006, 09:13:05 pm

In Nolan's second season his team posted a .500 record in the SWC, and we went to the NIT. In his third season, we were in the NCAAs, and we had a reamarkable run through most of the next 15 years.

By the way, I wanted Nolan gone as early as 1996.

In his 2nd season, Nolan had a .500 record in the SWC. True (I guess).

In his last 3 seasons, he had a 23-25 record in the SEC. Still wouldn't have been fired if he had the sense to not implode.

So, you think we had a "remarkable run" for most of Nolan's last 15 years? Then why did you "want him gone...as early as 1996" ? Just curious.