Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When did skin color and price tag trump resume and results in coaching searches.

Started by Coondog Hog, December 08, 2011, 02:24:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coondog Hog

If these are real factors in our DC search equation as stated by Bo & Clay there is a good chance we continue to come up short.  If true I am dissapointed in CBP snd Long.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

EastMemphisHog

Dominicanhog

since football was started. White me have always had the advantage and been paid more. Oh!  you meant the other way.

Fanofthegame

"He may not be in a class by himself, but it don't take long to call roll"

jamie72921

Just heard talk of this myself.

If true, we just limited ourself to half of the available talent pool. It's the same as taking the espn top 150 and excluding half of them and then hoping to fill your recruiting class with nothing but these guys.

If this works out, it will just be dumb luck.
Bless your heart

jamie72921

Quote from: Cure on December 08, 2011, 02:26:47 pm
Understand diversity. Even Les  Miles understands this.

Diversity is about inclusion, not exclusion. Excluding people based on race is NOT diversity.

You people are brainwashed.
Bless your heart

grayhawg

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 08, 2011, 02:29:13 pm
Diversity is about inclusion, not exclusion. Excluding people based on race is NOT diversity.

Where did the race thing come from?

regi

We can't recruit in the SEC with only one black coach on staff, period. Like it or not. As for price Tag, thank Gus

BossHawgOutlaw

Cure

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 08, 2011, 02:29:13 pm

The people who believe this process has any exclusion to this are the delusional ones. Clearly we want a qualified candidate, but that does not mean we are excluding anyone.  Diversity is needed on a staff, most understand that.
Team Economics

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: Coondog Hog on December 08, 2011, 02:24:47 pm
If these are real factors in our DC search equation as stated by Bo & Clay there is a good chance we continue to come up short.  If true I am dissapointed in CBP snd Long.
Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 08, 2011, 02:27:24 pm
since football was started. White me have always had the advantage and been paid more. Oh!  you meant the other way.

"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

jamie72921

Quote from: grayhawg on December 08, 2011, 02:32:35 pm
Where did the race thing come from?

It is being speculated on air right now that Arkansas has been hamstrung to hire a black coordinator because Garrick Mcgee got hired away in order to appease the Black Coaches' Association.

I hope this is isn't true, because exluding people based on skin color is not the way to go about finding the best available help.
Bless your heart

jamie72921

Quote from: Cure on December 08, 2011, 02:34:30 pm
The people who believe this process has any exclusion to this are the delusional ones. Clearly we want a qualified candidate, but that does not mean we are excluding anyone.  Diversity is needed on a staff, most understand that.

You are brainwashed.

Diversity is not accomplished through exclusion. That is called racism and bigotry.
Bless your heart

songofthesword

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 08, 2011, 02:35:06 pm
It is being speculated on air right now that Arkansas has been hamstrung to hire a black coordinator because Garrick Mcgee got hired away in order to appease the Black Coaches' Association.

I hope this is isn't true, because exluding people based on skin color is not the way to go about finding the best available help.
considering johnson coluld very well go with McGhee, we could be left with 0 black coaches. that's jsut stupid in the SEC when m ost players are african american.

i find it funny how everyone talks about "we want lsu and bama talent"

well guss what buddy. lsu has 5 minority coaches on staff. bama has 3. we have 1.

grayhawg

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 08, 2011, 02:35:06 pm

When will these guys quit speculating crap like this, this is one reason I no longer listen to radio call in shows. They are worse than a bunch of ole biddies getting together to gossip.

popcornhog

Quote from: Coondog Hog on December 08, 2011, 02:24:47 pm

If we gave a job to someone based entirely on race it would be absurd. I am 100% against any quota system or rule requiring teams to interview based on race.

That being said, racial and cultural diversity on a coaching staff is extremely important as far as I'm concerned. I am all for being sure that our coaching staff is made up of high quality coaches who have the ability to relate to the kids that we're recruiting. Maybe racial diversity is important to putting the puzzle together. It's definitely worth considering.  Just want to have the best coaches that can bring in the best players.

Having a heterogeneous coaching staff is probably important.
WPS

jamie72921

Quote from: songofthesword on December 08, 2011, 02:37:05 pm
considering johnson coluld very well go with McGhee, we could be left with 0 black coaches. that's jsut stupid in the SEC when m ost players are african american.

well guss what buddy. lsu has 5 minority coaches on staff. bama has 3. we have 1.

I don't believe we should exclude anyone because of color.

However, if Trooper Taylor were the only guy available, do you take him just because he's black and ignore the baggage?
Bless your heart

Lips

I hear CBP is looking for a Mexican DC so he can also help with the kicking game.

Coondog Hog

I dont have a problem hiring a black DC. I have a problem hiring a second tier DC because he's black. We need the best DC available.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan

jamie72921

Quote from: Coondog Hog on December 08, 2011, 02:49:36 pm
I dont have a problem hiring a black DC. I have a problem hiring a second tier DC because he's black. We need the best DC available.

This exactly.

Randy Shannon was an exciting possibility because he is a proven commodity and a top name. He was also black.

True diversity goes on between the ears anyway.
Bless your heart

passinghog

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 08, 2011, 02:48:44 pm
I don't believe we should exclude anyone because of color.

However, if Trooper Taylor were the only guy available, do you take him just because he's black and ignore the baggage?

You take Trooper Taylor because he can bring in great players, simple as that.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: regi on December 08, 2011, 02:33:08 pm
We can't recruit in the SEC with only one black coach on staff, period. Like it or not. As for price Tag, thank Gus

Thank Auburn. Gus doesn't write his own paycheck.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: jamie72921 on December 08, 2011, 02:51:25 pm
This exactly.

Randy Shannon was an exciting possibility because he is a proven commodity and a top name. He was also black.

He's probably also into NCAA trouble eyeball deep with the revelations about Miami.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

jamie72921

Quote from: Showtimehog on December 08, 2011, 02:51:55 pm
You take Trooper Taylor because he can bring in great players, simple as that.

So you can be as good as Auburn was this year? What position does he coach? Is that a strength on their team?

Simple as that.
Bless your heart

KeithStone

This exactly.

Randy Shannon's black???  I'll be darned, I never even paid attention

budcampbellfan

When we lost McGee and replaced him with a petrino.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

SkunkyMunky

"Do you want to be safe and good, or do you want to take a chance and be great?"
Jimmy Johnson

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."
Barry Switzer

scorekeeper

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

SkunkyMunky

I personally don't care if our coaching staff is all white, black, Asian, or even from a different planet, as long as they win.
"Do you want to be safe and good, or do you want to take a chance and be great?"
Jimmy Johnson

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."
Barry Switzer

nwarazfan

LZH

This exactly.

Yes.  Hell, call it racial diversity, call it racial equality, call it whatever you wanna call it - just by God call Randy Shannon, pay him and get him here.  Who gives a s*** what any coach looks like, what do I care?  You wanna win first and foremost, yes?  He, imo, happens to be the best candidate out there.....period.  Not Tyrone Nix, not for DC anyway (LB's OK).

scorekeeper

Quote from: songofthesword on December 08, 2011, 02:37:05 pm

I didn't know this...I looked it up and WOW it is true. It seems clear as day to me that the staff needs some diversity you have to sell the program to parents as well as the athlete.

Cure

Nobody is saying hire a black DC, nor do I believe that is CBPs intentions. We are simply saying you need diversity on the staff if you want to relate to any of your players. It does more good than harm. You are going to the extreme if you believe we are dismissing individuals because they aren't black.
Team Economics

Coondog Hog

- Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: scorekeeper on December 08, 2011, 03:01:53 pm
And he is probably not.

Considering all that happened at Miami under his tenure, what would lead you to believe that?
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Pyrotechnician

SEC Referees Oath concerning the Arkansas Razorbacks.

I swear to throw the flag...the whole flag and nothing but the flag so help me Mike Slive!

popcornhog

Quote from: SkunkyMunky on December 08, 2011, 03:02:12 pm
I personally don't care if our coaching staff is all white, black, Asian, or even from a different planet, as long as they win.

^^^This. Just realize that having some racial/ethnic/cultural diversity can help recruiting. It would be the dame reality if the staff was currently all black. Don't let race be the deciding factor, but be aware of reality and consider race as part of the equation if it will help us win. Period.
WPS

cw2

Maybe we should diversify the color of the players, then it wouldn't be an issue.

popcornhog

WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: cw2 on December 08, 2011, 03:24:05 pm
Maybe we should diversify the color of the players, then it wouldn't be an issue.

There are two goals: 1) win; 2) maintain the integrity and reputation of the University. The two goals are equally important.

With those two goals in mind, be aware that cultural and racial diversity is important to sign the best recruits. It's not absolutely necessary, it's not the top priority necessarily, but it's probably fairly important.
WPS

cw2

Quote from: popcornhog on December 08, 2011, 03:28:10 pm
There are two goals: 1) win; 2) maintain the integrity and reputation of the University. The two goals are equally important.

With those two goals in mind, be aware that cultural and racial diversity is important to sign the best recruits. It's not absolutely necessary, it's not the top priority necessarily, but it's probably fairly important.
I was being sarcastic.  It doesn't seem to matter to people that the team is 90% one color; but if the coaches are, they get up in arms because THAT's a serious issue.  I don't care care if every person on the team and every coach are matching plaid, just get the people that have the qualifications and ability to get the job done.

jamie72921

Quote from: popcornhog on December 08, 2011, 03:28:10 pm

Pop,

I have noticed that you have a hard time recognizing when people are "funnin".

I suggest you get down off your high horse and give other people a little more credit than you currently do.
Bless your heart

Iwastherein1969

we could kill two birds with one stone....hire the best available DC out there in Randy Shannon and who would believe it, the guy just happens to be a Black man also....this should ALREADY be done...what's holding the process up is the UA's defiance in paying a top-shelf salary to an assistant....its strange to me how we can spend a couple million on brand new turf, 30-40 million on a new football operations center and gather plans to spend over 300 million in upgrades in general yet we REFUSE TO pay Shannon an extra 300 or 400 thousand over the going rate for a good DC ?    and Shannon is the key to the kingdom....all this other stuff is window dressing.....IMHO, Randy Shannon would make our defense good enough to get the ball back to our high-powered offense enough for us to beat Alabama and LSU....problem solved.....but as per usual, we sweat the little things like paying a DC quite well and yet shout it out to the world we are upgrading our facilities to the tune of 300 million or so.....AMAZING.....just AMAZING !
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

hog101

scorekeeper

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 08, 2011, 03:17:47 pm
Considering all that happened at Miami under his tenure, what would lead you to believe that?
Some of that stuff that happened was before he took over as head coach.