Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is the BCS. There are rules, it isn't 'Nam.

Started by popcornhog, November 27, 2011, 09:48:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

There are still people who believe that the Sugar Bowl is a possibility. To these people, all I can say is, "you're out of your element Donnie!"

Here is the rule that keeps us out if the BCS (for the millionth time):
No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections, unless two non-champions from the same conference are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bcs_explained.html

Please read these rules thoroughly if you haven't yet done so. It will make things much easier to understand. Under the rules, it is still hypothetically possible for the SEC to get 3 teams, but we cannot be one of them. The ONLY way we could get 3 would be if UGA got the sugar bowl auto bid by winning the SECCG. If LSU and Bama were still 1 and 2, they would go to the BCSCG. If LSU wins, the SEC gets only two teams because the exception would not apply.

Happy reading.

Seriously though, if you don't already understand the rules, please read them.
WPS

rzrbackrob

Quote from: popcornhog on November 27, 2011, 09:48:15 pm
There are still people who believe that the Sugar Bowl is a possibility. To these people, all I can say is, "you're out of your element Donnie!"

No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections, unless two non-champions from the same conference are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings.

Please read these rules thoroughly if you haven't yet done so. It will make things much easier to understand. Under the rules, it is still hypothetically possible for the SEC to get 3 teams, but we cannot be one of them. The ONLY way we could get 3 would be if UGA got the sugar bowl auto bid by winning the SECCG. If LSU and Bama were still 1 and 2, they would go to the BCSCG. If LSU wins, the SEC gets only two teams because the exception would not apply.

Happy reading.

So your saying the Hogs still have a chance;)
Good is the enemy of great

Uncommon

Thank you to the O.P.  Wasn't sure if we had a chance to go to the Sugar Bowl or not.  Thanks for the confirmation.  I just hope we get to go to the Capital One Bowl.  It is more prestigious than the Cotton Bowl.

HF#1

+1 for the Big Lebowski reference.  That's all I saw in your post.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ZERO

Some people are saying the Cotton Bowl may become a BCS bowl, and that the location and timeslot of the Cotton Bowl - as well as who we'd play - make it a far more advantageous Bowl for us to compete in.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Bamafan35652

"The quarterback carry is certainly the best carry and one that we have an opportunity that if you play coverage on the remaining players, the numbers are best to run the football." Les Miles

uams1989

So, you mean...

A) the rumor that some "friends of the Hogs" out of southeast Louisiana are lobbying to get the Hogs in the Sugar Bowl is not true!?!

B) all the sweet little emails begging the BCS to give the Hogs a spot isn't going to work?

WOW!!  Can't believe it...
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

uams1989

Can we sticky this or make it required reading!?!
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

wupigsuey

Quote from: ZERO on November 27, 2011, 09:55:13 pm
Some people are saying the Cotton Bowl may become a BCS bowl, and that the location and timeslot of the Cotton Bowl - as well as who we'd play - make it a far more advantageous Bowl for us to compete in.

When that happens I'll root to go to the cotton, I'll root for the CAP1 until then.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

SpiritHog

who knows Jerry Jones has great powers and influence. (yes I meant powers.)
Non Illegitimus Carborundum

popcornhog

Quote from: hogfan#1 on November 27, 2011, 09:53:42 pm
+1 for the Big Lebowski reference.  That's all I saw in your post.

I am just ashamed that you're the only one that noticed. +1 to you too.
WPS

Johnny America

Are there people who really think we have a BCS bowl shot at this point in the season? Really?
God is not real.

ZERO

The belief has been downright rampant the past couple of days.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

popcornhog

Quote from: Johnny America on November 27, 2011, 10:05:54 pm
Are there people who really think we have a BCS bowl shot at this point in the season? Really?

Yeah, if you read through MMQB there are lots of people who think we could still play in the Sugar.

I totally get a casual fan not knowing the rules, but if you are a big enough supporter of Arkansas football to spend your time reading and posting on a message board, you should understand the rules by now.

Am I wrong? Am I wrong?
WPS

Johnny America

Quote from: popcornhog on November 27, 2011, 10:09:16 pm
Yeah, if you read through MMQB there are lots of people who think we could still play in the Sugar.

I totally get a casual fan not knowing the rules, but if you are a big enough supporter of Arkansas football to spend your time reading and posting on a message board, you should understand the rules by now.

Am I wrong? Am I wrong?

Wow. I had no clue that people felt like we had a chance. hahaha
God is not real.

kingofdequeen

WMHawgfan

Great original post but can you get me a toe by 3 o'clock?

popcornhog

Quote from: WMHawgfan on November 27, 2011, 10:46:20 pm

You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish. These *** amateurs...

WPS

HoginIllinois

Thanks to the OP.  I wonder how many more threads will be started about the Sugar Bowl being a possibility. It was reported that Slive was going to try and get the rule changed but it would be next year at the earliest before it would be effective.

The Great Hambino

Maybe if our entire team sold last year's Sugar Bowl jerseys in exchange for tattoos we could all be NCAA ineligible and then the Sugar Bowl would let us play there.

riccoar

I think if LSU throttles Georgia and Clemson beats Virginia Tech we might still have a chance.  Could be wrong, but we will see.  In the end, it all comes down to which matchup's will produce the most revenue.

little pigee

Quote from: riccoar on November 28, 2011, 09:45:15 am
I think if LSU throttles Georgia and Clemson beats Virginia Tech we might still have a chance.  Could be wrong, but we will see.  In the end, it all comes down to which matchup's will produce the most revenue.
I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: WMHawgfan on November 27, 2011, 10:46:20 pm

Dude, "Chinaman" is not the correct nomenclature.

HoginIllinois

Please read this again.

Happy reading.

WMHawgfan

popcornhog

Wait, are you serious? You still haven't read the rules? There is a link in the original post of this thread and the relevant portion of the rules is actually reproduced in the OP.

Unless you're being sarcastic and I'm missing it.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: PorkPariah on November 28, 2011, 09:54:16 am
Dude, "Chinaman" is not the Correct preferred nomenclature.
FIFY :)

Asian-American, please!
WPS

neblon

Happy reading.

But I emailed the BCS

rogers-hog

Although i don't see any wiggle room in those rule's, i wouldn't put it past those guys from the sugar bowl to find something.  after all they did get 5 cheaters reinstated with "unique opportunity" and their punishment pushed back to the following year, i would have never believed that either.

popcornhog

Quote from: rogers-hog on November 28, 2011, 11:33:09 am
Although i don't see any wiggle room in those rule's, i wouldn't put it past those guys from the sugar bowl to find something.  after all they did get 5 cheaters reinstated with "unique opportunity" and their punishment pushed back to the following year, i would have never believed that either.

Absolutely not. To take Arkansas (or any other team other than UGA if they win the SECCG) would be a breach of contract. Every other BCS conference and eligible team would sue the Sugar Bowl and probably get an injunction, but definitely damages if the game actually happened.
WPS

kingofdequeen

Quote from: rogers-hog on November 28, 2011, 11:33:09 am

are you ready to be ****** man?

dios mio.

rogers-hog

look I'm not sitting at home in my underware, inside a pentagram, burning incense, and chanting aria's hoping for this outcome.  i was just saying strange things have happened before.

Shorttimer

What about an executive order from the President?  Didn't think of that one, did you?  Game, set, match.

GuvHog

Quote from: popcornhog on November 28, 2011, 11:39:21 am
Absolutely not. To take Arkansas (or any other team other than UGA if they win the SECCG) would be a breach of contract. Every other BCS conference and eligible team would sue the Sugar Bowl and probably get an injunction, but definitely damages if the game actually happened.

That's why the Sugar Bowl needs to File suit against the BCS and get the injunction first. That way there's nothing the other conferences, teams, and bowls can do.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: GUVHOG on November 28, 2011, 12:32:29 pm
That's why the Sugar Bowl needs to File suit against the BCS and get the injunction first. That way there's nothing the other conferences, teams, and bowls can do.

....what in the world would they be suing for???
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

popcornhog

Quote from: GUVHOG on November 28, 2011, 12:32:29 pm

Such a law suit would be immediately dismissed for failure to state a claim.
WPS

GuvHog

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on November 28, 2011, 12:35:54 pm

The right to be allowed to invite #8 Arkansas if they so choose. The rule is discriminatory in nature because it bars teams from being considered by the BCS bowls that are deserved of that consideration. The truth is they agreed to that rule because they didn't believe one conference would ever get to occupy both spots in the BCSCG. Now it's biting the Sugar Bowl and Arkansas in the Butt.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: GUVHOG on November 28, 2011, 12:42:12 pm
The right to be allowed to invite #8 Arkansas if they so choose. The rule is discriminatory in nature because it bars teams from being considered by the BCS bowls that are deserved of that consideration. The truth is they agreed to that rule because they didn't believe one conference would ever get to occupy both spots in the BCSCG. Now it's biting the Sugar Bowl and Arkansas in the Butt.

You have not stated any grounds for a lawsuit whatsoever. 
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

popcornhog

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on November 28, 2011, 12:35:54 pm

The three team limit is unfair and clearly the BCS was taking advantage of GUV when the BCS contract was negotiated. They did not allow him legal representation and this important term was hidden in the boilerplate language of the contract. GUV will be the plaintiff that gets Arkansas into the sugar bowl.

WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: GUVHOG on November 28, 2011, 12:42:12 pm

There has to be an actual legal claim to sue the bcs. The terms of the bcs contract were negotiated by the various conferences.

WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 28, 2011, 12:43:49 pm
The Rule sucks and needs to be changed.

Now this is true. Hopefully it will be changed when the bcs contract is renegotiated.
WPS

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on November 28, 2011, 12:45:15 pm
You have not stated any grounds for a lawsuit whatsoever. 

economic duress?  BCS strongarmed them into the agreement.  Damages would incl lost revenue using projections and statistics from our last visit to NOLA.  also, you COULD say that circumstances have changed and that performance will hurt the Sugar Bowl.

you could do a comparison of say Houston's projected spending in NOLA versus the Hogs from last year, and use that as grounds for recission.

Not saying it's viable at all...just trying to state grounds for a lawsuit.  Guv didn't understand the question.

hogsanity

Quote from: kingofdequeen on November 28, 2011, 12:53:13 pm
economic duress?  BCS strongarmed them into the agreement.  Damages would incl lost revenue using projections and statistics from our last visit to NOLA.  also, you COULD say that circumstances have changed and that performance will hurt the Sugar Bowl.

you could do a comparison of say Houston's projected spending in NOLA versus the Hogs from last year, and use that as grounds for recission.

Not saying it's viable at all...just trying to state grounds for a lawsuit.  Guv didn't understand the question.

A Mich/Hous Sugar bowl will be well attended.  Mich has not been to a bcs game in several years and Houston has never been.  NOLA is a great party city, so it will have lots of visitors for that game. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: popcornhog on November 28, 2011, 12:49:47 pm
There has to be an actual legal claim to sue the bcs. The terms of the bcs contract were negotiated by the various conferences.

Not all of the schools in those conferences agreed with that part of the contract. Regardless of that, it's still discriminatory in nature which makes it illegal.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: hogsanity on November 28, 2011, 12:55:18 pm
A Mich/Hous Sugar bowl will be well attended.  Mich has not been to a bcs game in several years and Houston has never been.  NOLA is a great party city, so it will have lots of visitors for that game. 

granted...i'm grasping at straws.  hopefully it helps illustrate that ARKANSAS FANS CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT THIS AND WILL LOOK STUPID TRYING.

just a heads up.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: GUVHOG on November 28, 2011, 12:56:50 pm
Not all of the schools in those conferences agreed with that part of the contract. Regardless of that, it's still discriminatory in nature which makes it illegal.

stop.  just stop.

if you want to be a lawyer, go back to school and become one.  you've got plenty of time.