Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who do YOU want as our head basketball coach next year?

Started by Hogwild07, January 13, 2006, 05:41:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do YOU want as our head basketball coach next year?

Stan Heath
34 (31.5%)
Bob Huggins
10 (9.3%)
Johnnie Dawkins
4 (3.7%)
Quinn Snider
1 (0.9%)
Mike Anderson
26 (24.1%)
Nolan Richardson
11 (10.2%)
Mark Few
22 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Hogwild07

We could have a realistic shot at all of these guys.  The real question is whether Broyles has completely given up on Heath.  Let's give him the rest of the season, but if things don't turn around he needs to immediately be fired.

RoboRazor

RoboRazor

January 13, 2006, 05:45:51 pm #3 Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 05:48:04 pm by Hog Mild
Quote from: Hogwild07 on January 13, 2006, 05:43:44 pm
are you kidding?

If you're talking to me, no I am not. His players would jump off a bridge for him. He's a great coach and won't be at UALR very long

Kevin

brad brownell of uncw,  .600 pct overall , .700 pct in the conference,

notable wins this year  butler, northwestern, wyoming, just beat drexel on the road, yes the same drexel in the NIT semi's

near misses lost ot wisconsin by 2 on a last second shot this year, maryland in the ncaa tournament 2 years ago last second shot

they have been to the ncaa not us.  go hogs and go seahawks
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

pfrg999

I would rather eat my own waste as to have Quinn Snyder
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Hawg414

exactly.  if snyder is our only option, then give heath a 10 year contract

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Hawg414

hogattack21

Mike or Huggins would be great. I think Huggins has probably learned his lesson. Anderson would be just flat out awesome. Ricchardson would probably never get his job back after all of the lawsuits although I would support having him back. Mark Few in our faces last time we called, I'm sure he would do the same again. Quinn may not be gone just yet, He has the tigers playing pretty good right now, I would not take him anyways. I dont know a whole lot about Dawkins, but anything is better than heath right now.
It may be wrong, but it sure feels right.

RoboRazor

Judging by the poll, we have some closet Heath fans on this board. LMAO :D

UALRGrad

please add dickey nutt to the list.  this guy has to be a winner.
If Ole Dork played the University of Hell, I'd buy a Satan jersey.

Uncle Ivan 9/6/2009

DOGALUM

I'm telling you guys.........Rick Pitino or Billy Donavan!! ;D

dmhog v2.0

Christ, I hope Nutt never gets the AD job or Dickey Nutt really WILL be our coach. I'll shoot myself if that happens, but not before I take some others out with me just for the fun of it. Let's all hope none of this ever happens.

kuhog

Anyone from that list would be an improvement. Well, with one exception - Snyder.

dmhog v2.0

So Heath would be an improvement? I think that just blew my mind.

Shag66

Quote from: pfrg999 on January 13, 2006, 06:04:22 pm
I would rather eat my own waste as to have Quinn Snyder

I'm with ya...  Not even worth mentioning...
and that goes for Huggins too...  We DON'T need that here...

razorbackandy

How about Tom Penders???!!!???

Really, it would be nice to see Dawkins, Pitino, or Few, but I really doubt either happens.  I suspect we'll have Heath in '07.
The post-game show is brought to you by.... Christ, I can't find it... the hell with it.  - Bob Uecker, Major League

Hawg414

Quote from: DOGALUM on January 13, 2006, 06:38:49 pm
I'm telling you guys.........Rick Pitino or Billy Donavan!! ;D

id love to have pitino or donovan... of course pitino moreso than donovan... but is there anything to suggest either of them would come here?  neither of them are under any fire... and ark would be mostly a lateral move. 

naturally id like to have anderson too - i wanted him in the first place - but i think there is just too much politics surrounding his return. 

then ya got huggins.  the guy won bigtime at a school with a helluva lot less than we have to offer here at arkansas.  i think our fans would take to his "style of play" easily...and the main factor in all of this - he is jobless!!  he made a mistake with the DWI... and im not ignoring the significance of that: however, people have been given 2nd chances for much more serious offenses than that. 

Hogs4Ever

Quote from: DOGALUM on January 13, 2006, 06:09:23 pm
Rick Pitino or Billy Donavan

I agree.  Get a proven winner in here and let's start winning again!

NuttsSacked

Billy Donovan.  Realistic?  No, but you didn't ask whether or not it was possible.  That guy is great! 

noprayerfornutt

It is time to open the checkbook.  Pitino is the first choice, then Donovan.  Hell, I'll even settle for Penders or even Billy Tubbs. 

UhOhioHog

RazorZach

If I remember correctly, didn't someone say when we were looking for coaches to replace Nolan that we asked to interview Mark Few, and he was allegedly quoted as saying that he would never come to racist Arkansas or something to that effect. I know it was never printed or confirmed, it may just be some more of those infamous "sources" spreading some steamy gossip. I don't think Few would ever leave that program he has built up there anyways. I thought someone else may have heard this too, but I am pretty sure Few is shall we say less than enamored with the state of Arkansas.

But my random 5 choices for coach next year would be:

1) Mike Anderson, UAB - Has done a good job at UAB and has done a good job of recruiting the players needed for his style of play and making them buy into it. I will take 2 and 3 star recruits and NCAA Tourny bids over McDonald's All-Americans and losing records in the SEC any day.

2) Bobby Lutz, UNC-Charlotte - He has had some solid teams and programs that have done well in the NCAA Tourny and has always seems to have some big wins over the teams that should beat them. This may be a product of the talent on the East coast, but I still think the guy can coach and find good players.

3) Rick Majerus, ESPN analyst - The guy obviously loves Arkansas and their tradition, and knows how to recruit, motivate, and win consistently.  The guy knows X's and O's, and knows how to light a fire under his guys. His health is a major problem, but should he want to return to coaching I would welcome him with open arms to the U of A.(although I don't think I could open my arms THAT wide)

4) Doc Sadler, UTEP - Knows how to recruit the area, is liked by the area coaches, and could recruit well at the JC level. I think he is doing fairly well at UTEP right now and would be a good hire because of his knowledge of the region and from what I have heard is a good guy who is a player's coach.

5) Johnny Dawkins, Duke assistant - Been a long-time assistant for the best college basketball coach and program of the last 15 years, and would more than likely recruit super talent and bring some good coaching techniques and fundamentals learned from Coach K. This guy may be the best assistant in the country right now.

There's my top five. Oh yeah...NO to:  Nolan, Quinn, and Bob "Thug"gins. They are all head cases that the U of A doesn't need here. My longshots would be: Billy Donovan, Washington coach Lorenzo Romar (sp?), or Texas (spit) coach Rick Barnes.
"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

"Is this hotel beeper friendly?" -- Alan from "The Hangover" (and Houston Nutt)

"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." -- Michael Scott, "The Office"

Hawg414

well scratch dawkins too... bc nor does the UA need anymore "up and coming" career assistants. 

DOGALUM

We would have to throw out some serious cash to land Pitino or Donavan.  Don't think Donavan would leave Florida.  But he would be worth trying.......provided we didn't get Pitino. 

Rick has CLASS, and would bring instant excitement and renewed clout to our program.  The guy is a winner. 

(This is all IF Heath was no longer our coach.........)

ScotchHog

Pat Summitt.
Basketball is basketball.  And she knows it better than any of these clowns.
And for everyone picking Mike Anderson...  You DO realize that the university will hire Osama Bin Ladin to coach the Razorbacks before Anderson, right?
Always waiting

Oklahawg

Dennis Felton was a near miss when we got Heath. Felton had built Western Kentucky into a powerhouse before moving on. I don't know that he'd take a lateral (at best) move. We likely missed our window with him.

Billy Gillespie at Texas A&M has done wonders with the Aggies. He's got a lot of promise.

We need to focus on a coach with 4-6 years of D1 experience, a solid track record for GREAT, not just good, coaching of fundamentals--shooting, free throw shooting, rebounding. We don't want someone on the downhill side of their career, a guy who may not have that extra OOMPH to recruit us back up to snuff.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Kevin

i would not want huggins representing our school. period
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Beaverfever

Is the quinn snyder option a joke???...I seriously think that guys a coke head

Spider-Pig

I think that we should keep Heath for next season. Also the conference season is early and we can still win the west

hogattack21

Drew your right, however, winning 10 out of 14 games remaining in the SEC is going to be tough for this team. Also a 10-6 record is not a guarantee(which is about as good as we can possibly do) that we will win the west. LSU has the potential to go 11-5 maybe even 12-4 although that may be a stretch. Regardless, if we do pull this task off and and win a couple of games in SEC tourney then we will go to the NCAAT. Problem is, this team will be tired by the time that rolls around and wont go anywhere. If Heath had actually done a decent job of coaching we would be 2-0 in conference and would not have to stress themselves to dig out of the hole "HE" dug. Thats is the reason everyone wants a new coach because he had more than adequate time to put this team on top. I apprecitate the optimism though.
It may be wrong, but it sure feels right.

Shag66

10-6 would be a darn good deal though and PROBABLY would win or tie for the west.  Other than LSU I see no one else beating 10-6..  never can tell  9-7 might even do it this year...  the west is gonna beat on each other badly..  only lock is Florida running off with the east

CalHog

Let's don't give up on Heath yet...but if we do, how about Scott Sutton?

mikeirwin

Tubby Smith. Or as Nolan used to call him, Coach Tubbys.

RoboRazor

LOL the Heath supporters only come out of the closet when the board is nearly empty ::)

Extra Point

This is a list of replacements?  LOL....

Bob Huggins - NCAA hates him and he is a drunk with a bad heart
Johnnie Dawkins
Quinn Snider - NCAA will bust him and he is no better than Heath
Mike Anderson - will NEVER happen...get over it
Nolan Richardson - LOL
Mark Few - He says he loves Gonzaga...why would he leave to come to AR???

Must have been a boring day for some.

bigyellowdog

Quote from: Extra Point on January 13, 2006, 11:33:03 pm
This is a list of replacements? LOL....

Bob Huggins - NCAA hates him and he is a drunk with a bad heart
Johnnie Dawkins
Quinn Snider - NCAA will bust him and he is no better than Heath
Mike Anderson - will NEVER happen...get over it
Nolan Richardson - LOL
Mark Few - He says he loves Gonzaga...why would he leave to come to AR???

Must have been a boring day for some.

With the exception of Mark Few, I would rather have Mike Newell than any of that bunch.

Razorod

I do know that if we lose today Broyles needs to start getting feedback and be prepared to hire a quality coach to replace Heath--

here are some to keep an eye on in my opinion:

Dana Altman--Creighton
Dennis Felton--Georgia
Rick Majerus--out of coaching/impressive record at Utah
Billy Gillespie--Tex A%M
Jeff Lebo--Auburn

I'd like to add M. Anderson, but don't think that's going to happen.

I'm keeping tabs of each of these coaches. If the team has a meltdown and the change comes at the end of the season, I hope Broyles and co. are bettered prepared this time and do their homework, we can get a quality coach.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

toshortrock

how about the california chicken,he can't do no worse
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////