62 (37.1%)
Clint Stoerner
27 (16.2%)
Bill Montgomery
25 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 12, 2006, 03:15:45 pm

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

pfrg999

I like See Joe in the Lead, with MJ and Clint trailing
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

sooie dog

I have  heard a lot of stories but never seen Joe or Bill play.

EastexHawg

January 13, 2006, 03:40:38 pm #3 Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 03:43:57 pm by EastexHawg
My own list would be:

1. Matt Jones
2. Bill Montgomery
3. Quinn Grovey
4. Clint Stoerner
5. (tie) Joe Ferguson
    (tie) Ron Calcagni
7. Barry Lunney, Jr.

My rankings are only for the last 40 years.  I never saw Lamar McHan or Jack Robbins play, so I can't rank them.

I thought Bill Montgomery was clearly the best Arkansas QB of all time until Matt Jones came along.

IMO, Ferguson's reputation has more to do with his NFL career than what he did at Arkansas.  He had one great season as a Hog...but spent 17 years in the NFL.  Not taking anything away from him, but he was Montgomery's backup as a sophomore, had a great year as a junior in 1971, then struggled before untimately being benched in favor of Scott Bull toward the end of his senior season.

PigKahuna

I voted Ferguson.

But why no more love for Quinn?

I loved matt jones, but no way he was as good as Quinn.

Chappeee

Stoerner and Jones were the only QBs of the group that played in the SEC, and I'll take Stoerner over Jones ANY TIME

McKdaddy

I voted Quinn b/c of the team's successes and SWC championships.  It seemed we couldn't be the Cotton Bowl rep forever (since '75?) and would never go again, until Quinn's versatility came along.  The QB before him just didn't seem to have the coolness Quinn had.  Taking us to back-to-back Cottons, when the team hadn't been since I was 2 years old made a big impression on me that still remains.  I'll always have a soft spot in heart for Quinn.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

pfrg999

Clint was the best passer of the bunch.... Jones the fastest, Ferguson the smartest, Lunny Had a great Knowledge of the game

Hawgman2000

Grovey was a great option QB but was a much better passer than Jones. Clint would have to be in there but so would Mongomery. They were all good in their own time in there own offense.

Buff

i agree with clint being the better passer. i loved watching jones play but there is no way he ranks above clint.  im voting for clint just because i never got to see quinn

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Shag66

I vote Quinn!

Maybe it's because I was in school when he was there.  Heck, we even played computer games together.  He's a class guy and he was one HECK of a great QB.

Hogwild07

Joe Feguson was OVERRATED!  He threw 24 TDs and 32 INTs....that sucks.  Matt had better passing stats and if you combine that with his incredible running ability he is hands down the best ever.

noprayerfornutt

My top 5 (only ones I have seen):

1.  Grovey
2.  Stoerner
3.  Jones
4.  Calcagni
5.  Taylor

bald hog

Why wasn't Buddy Bob Benson on the list? ;D

bald hog

How about " the quarterbacking man" Jon Brittenum.

clarksville hog

My vote goes to Ferguson because I was just old enough for him to be my first Hog idol, which he remained through a long and successful NFL career.

pfrg999

bald hog

Ferguson never had a song written about him. Brittenum did.  ;D

Hog74

Joe Ferguson had a lot of talent, but it did not translate into Hog victories.

Bill Montgomery gets my vote as the all time best Hog QB.

CalHog

Joe Ferguson
Bill Montgomery
Matt Jones
Clint Stoerner

TennesseeRaz

I had a class with Grovey too.  He was a nice guy, but there's no way he was a better QB than Stoerner and Ferguson.  Man, did the Miami Hurricane put a whoopin' on poor Quinn in the Rock.

rlamb

if we had a Ron Calcagni type every year, we wouldn't be having all this current misery.

1. Tie Matt---involved in 30 wins in 3 &1/2 seasons. Arguably one of best 3-4 running QB's of all time in college football.  if he had played for Tom Osborne in 94, Bear Bryant in 79 or Barry Switzxer in 75, he would have won the Heisman.

2. & Ron Calcagni---tough guy who could do a little bit of everything well enough to be a prototype of the most successful type of Hog QB, like Moore, Marshall, Bull, just bulldog type competitors that win! In 1978 at the Astrodome, he missed a handoff to Eckwood, took off with the ball when he could have slid but took on all SWC defensive tackle Hosea Taylor head on at the line of scrimmage and they carried ----------------Taylor off the field on a stretcher!!  Was in on 35 wins & most possibly the biggest upset in college bowl games in history, Orange Bowl of 78.

3. Montgomery--coouldn't beat Texas.---but in on 29 wins in 3 years!

4. Brittenum---could win the big one. As a starter for 2 years 65-66 he orchestrated 18 wins and our 3rd most cherished vistory 27-24 over Texzass in 65

5. Clint---couldn't win the big one, exzcept for knocking the orange pukes out of the national Title game in 99' I guess that's enough.  in on 27 wins in 4 years, 1 as 2nd team  3 as starter.

6. Ferguson--" Bullitt Joe, he broke face masks, fingers,  hands, wrists and ribs with the power of his passes.  Was in on 23 wins in 3 years,  1 & 4/5 as a starter.  like a previous poster said,  made a better mark as a pro.

7.  Lamar McHan---on some really bad teams in the early 50's and I don't know much abouit his stats,  but i do know he was the highest Razorback to ever finish in the Heisman race at 2nd behind Paul Hornung of Notre Dame in 53' or so!!!!

8.  Billy Moore---bulldog of a running QB that played on Hog teams that won 26 games in early 60's in 3 years and the only Hog QB to be named to any All America team ever!!!!!!!!!!!

9.  Quiinn Grovey--was in on or started 3 out of 4 years of 32 wins. 

10. Barry Lunney----a lot tougher than he looked.  Started 3 & 9/10ths years and in on 20 vistories in a very bad time for Razxorback football, kind of like now.

Calling All Hogs

I vote Ron Calcagni simply because he is the only one who ever sucessfully
run HDN out of the Arkansas Football Program! LOL

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

MM will shatter ALL records at UofA..........
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

hawgstuff

How about these 3.  They seem to always be forgotten:

Fred Marshall:
All Conference; SWC Offensive Player of the Year; QBed his 1964 team to a 11-0 record, SWC Title, #1 ranking and the National Champhionship and the Cotton Bowl. Only undefeated season in school history.  Played in CFL. 

Scott Bull:     
Came off the bench in 1975 to qb his team to 10 wins, an SWC title, top ten finish, Cotton Bowl and SWC Title.  SWC MVP Award; Drafted and played in NFL

Kevin Scanlon: 
All Conference; SWC Offensive Player of the Year; SWC MVP Award; qbed his 1979 team to a 10-2 record, SWC title, top ten finish and Sugar Bowl. Drafted in NFL and played in CFL.  Most accurate passer in school history, still holds the record. Only losses were to the #1 and #3 ranked teams.

These 3 guys were the QBs for 31 wins and only 4 losses, 3 SWC championships; 3 top ten finishes; 3 Major Bowl games; They achieved 2 All Conference honors; 2 Conference Offensive Player of the Year Awards; 2 Conference MVP Awards; 2 NFL Draft choices and 2 CFL Players. 

They all played while the SWC was the dominant conference in the country.  They are what being a Razorback is all about.  Leaders, winners, and maybe overahcievers.  But there isn't one of us that wouldn't take these 10-11 win, top ten finish seasons right now. The only thing that hurt the 3 of them is that they only really played for one season each and accomplished all this as 5th year seniors.  It is ironic how similar their performances and successes are.

Montgomery, Calcagni, Grovey, Moore, and Brittenum yes.  All should be named and they are all right there with these guys and had longer careers so better total numbers.  Ferguson was close, but talent isnt' the same as winning and performance. Stoerner is right there too, but didn't achieve the winning level either.   But with some of the others named, all you get is stats, stats, stats........I'll take wins, and success.  And note that the individual recognition and honors follow the winners.  And apparently the professional teams do too.

I can understand Matt Jones being on the list because of his athletic greatness and the Miracle on Markham game alone, but somebody thinks Barry Lunney is , better than these guys?????   

OkieHog

There will be another name to add to that list by this time next year.
FIRE STOOPS!!!!HIRE NUTT!!!!

staffhog

I had to vote: Joe.  This guy just did not have the cast.  He could direct the receivers while the play was in action, drill them and then watch the ball fly off their hands.   Most of the picks off Joe was for this reason.  In his junior and senior years, the chemistry on the team plummeted to an all-time low.  He wanted to be a coach on the field and this was not to be. 
2 Matt Jones
3 Bill Montgomery
4 Quinn Grovey
5 Clint Stoerner
6 Jon Brittinum

Hawgin84

Quote from: bald hog on January 13, 2006, 09:24:21 pm
Ferguson never had a song written about him. Brittenum did. ;D

I was 5 years old then. My dad had all of the Razorback records then. He taught me how to play the record player so I would quit bugging him to play them for me. I knew all of the words to those songs. My favorite was "Short Squashed Texan". I liked the John Brittenum song and the Harry Jones song as well.

arkfanchip

i am a new generation HOG, i have only seen matt and clint play, clint was able to do some things on the field that we haven't seen since, but it seemed matt brought excitement to the hogs, even when we didn't when, he did something to make sports center on a regular basis. even when losing game he brought positive attention to the program. A QBs responsibilities extend away from the field. they are watched more than other players. LOOK at the vick, no one is thinking about the great throws across the field. or the way he shook some defeneseless D back out of his cleat, all they think about is him flipping the bird and stomping on other people. VT had a good season but that is the last thing people are talking about. MATT JONES got my vote for how he carried himself on and off the field.

jabohog

Quote from: hawgstuff on January 14, 2006, 08:26:23 am
How about these 3. They seem to always be forgotten:

Fred Marshall:
All Conference; SWC Offensive Player of the Year; QBed his 1964 team to a 11-0 record, SWC Title, #1 ranking and the National Champhionship and the Cotton Bowl. Only undefeated season in school history. Played in CFL.

Scott Bull:
Came off the bench in 1975 to qb his team to 10 wins, an SWC title, top ten finish, Cotton Bowl and SWC Title. SWC MVP Award; Drafted and played in NFL

Kevin Scanlon:
All Conference; SWC Offensive Player of the Year; SWC MVP Award; qbed his 1979 team to a 10-2 record, SWC title, top ten finish and Sugar Bowl. Drafted in NFL and played in CFL. Most accurate passer in school history, still holds the record. Only losses were to the #1 and #3 ranked teams.

These 3 guys were the QBs for 31 wins and only 4 losses, 3 SWC championships; 3 top ten finishes; 3 Major Bowl games; They achieved 2 All Conference honors; 2 Conference Offensive Player of the Year Awards; 2 Conference MVP Awards; 2 NFL Draft choices and 2 CFL Players.

They all played while the SWC was the dominant conference in the country. They are what being a Razorback is all about. Leaders, winners, and maybe overahcievers. But there isn't one of us that wouldn't take these 10-11 win, top ten finish seasons right now. The only thing that hurt the 3 of them is that they only really played for one season each and accomplished all this as 5th year seniors. It is ironic how similar their performances and successes are.

Montgomery, Calcagni, Grovey, Moore, and Brittenum yes. All should be named and they are all right there with these guys and had longer careers so better total numbers. Ferguson was close, but talent isnt' the same as winning and performance. Stoerner is right there too, but didn't achieve the winning level either. But with some of the others named, all you get is stats, stats, stats........I'll take wins, and success. And note that the individual recognition and honors follow the winners. And apparently the professional teams do too.

I can understand Matt Jones being on the list because of his athletic greatness and the Miracle on Markham game alone, but somebody thinks Barry Lunney is , better than these guys?????
Pretty good post. The three you listed also had one of the better supporting cast on both sides of the ball.

hoggystyle78

Joe Ferguson, Ron Calcagni, Quinn Grovey, Matt Jones, Brad Taylor.       Does anybody remember Bert Jones' younger brother that played QB for the Hogs?, what was his name?

jabohog

hoggystyle78

Thanks Jabo, I was talking to my son about the Hogs the other day and I couldn't remember his name +1 karma for you.