Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NIT question

Started by hogfan064, January 13, 2006, 01:03:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

Bobby Cremmins suggested this about the NIT.  He thinks the winner of the NIT should get an automatic bid to the NCAA tourney the following year.  Now this is an extreme thought, but it would create tons of interest in the tourney and now since the NCAA bought the rights to the NIT it is possible. You wouldn't have teams turning down NIT bids and it would bring a whole new meaning to the tourney that at one time was very prestigous.

hogfankb

Quote from: hogfan064 on January 13, 2006, 01:03:49 pm
Bobby Cremmins suggested this about the NIT. He thinks the winner of the NIT should get an automatic bid to the NCAA tourney the following year. Now this is an extreme thought, but it would create tons of interest in the tourney and now since the NCAA bought the rights to the NIT it is possible. You wouldn't have teams turning down NIT bids and it would bring a whole new meaning to the tourney that at one time was very prestigous.

It would probably work for the money side of things. Selling tickets/air time for NIT.

I personally don't like a team getting an automatic bid for something the year befores team did. How many of these mid major teams have good runs one year because they are loaded with seniors and then completely fall apart the next. It would be a shame for a team in a mid major with a 12-15 record to get in when a team in the sec gets left out with a decent record.

Tomhog™

I'd say no.  Each year needs to start with a clean slate!  If that was the case, then why don't all final four participants get automatic bids to the NCAA (though it usually works out this way anyhow).