Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The State of SEC Basketball

Started by hogfan064, January 13, 2006, 12:59:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

I wanted to get everyone's opinion of the state of SEC basketball.  Does anyone besides me think there is a serious problem with the fan interest in it.  Attendance is low throughout the league.  Games aren't being televised except 1-2 times a week by ESPN and regionally by FSN and JP.  The past couple years the SEC has done very poorly in the NCAA tourney.  Dave Odom of USC(former ACC coach) has suggested many ways to improve SEC basketball, but the league seems uninterested.  He's proposed more Sunday games(to get TV time), a SEC-Big 12(or another conf) type challenge, and other things.  The SEC is doing a throwback jersey weekend this year and have done a East-West challenge in the past, but I don't think these things will draw much attention.  Arkansas doesn't really have a problem with its basketball support, but most SEC schools do.  Anyone think the SEC is slipping further behind the ACC, Big East, and Big 10?  Are the mid majors in the area hurting us like Memphis, UAB, Winthrop,  and others.  Is ESPN's devotion to pumping up the mid major hurting us?  Any thoughts

Art Vandelet

I have a friend that is a UT fan. He never talks about BB. Unless it's women's BB. I guess Florida is becoming a dual sport school.

hogsanity

SEC BB is becomming a vitim of their own success.  THe 90's saw AR, Ky and BAM nationally highly ranked all the time.  LSU even had Shaq.  And it was a very athletic style of ball.  Pressing, scoring highflying ball.  Now, it is plodding, score routinely in the 50's and 60' poor shooting, and not nearly as much athletic talnet.  Some of this is out of the league control.  With so many good players leaving early it is just hard to build teams. 

Bama had Sprewell and HOrry

I cant even begin to list all the players Ky had

We had Day, Mayberry, Miller, Corliss, Thurman. 

It is just not the same. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Mike Tencleve

I think we are in a football conference, as hard as that is to admit it is true. If you go down the list of schools in the SEC and ask yourself what do the fans support. care, donate more money to, you will find that on UK cares about basketball more than football. Couple that with the conference being way down, maybe at an all time low, for sure since Arkansas joined. Yes the thing you mentioned about ACC Big Ten chag. and more games on Sunday for TV. But the bottom line is the conference fans don't care. I feel like Arkansas basketball fans great and care most to the level as UK, but they are the only two that do that.

sooie dog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2006, 01:10:26 pm
SEC BB is becomming a vitim of their own success. THe 90's saw AR, Ky and BAM nationally highly ranked all the time. LSU even had Shaq. And it was a very athletic style of ball. Pressing, scoring highflying ball. Now, it is plodding, score routinely in the 50's and 60' poor shooting, and not nearly as much athletic talnet. Some of this is out of the league control. With so many good players leaving early it is just hard to build teams.

Bama had Sprewell and HOrry

I cant even begin to list all the players Ky had

We had Day, Mayberry, Miller, Corliss, Thurman.

It is just not the same.

Don't forget FL sent a couple of teams to the final four back then and MSU made it one year also.