Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan's worst four years -- I would take them over the last four

Started by Rey Pygsterio, January 13, 2006, 10:43:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rey Pygsterio

Season: '85-'86
Record: 12-16
Postseason: None
This was his first year, when a few fans yelled the N word from the stands, JR Starr and Wally ruthlessly went after him as he dealt with his daughter's leukemia, and several Sutton holdovers focused more on cocaine than basketball. And you think Stan had it tough in his first year?

Season: '01-'02
Record: 14-15
Postseason: None
This was Nolan's last year, and he was fired before being allowed to finish the final game of the season or go to the SEC tournament. Are the rest of the details still vivid enough in everyone's mind, or do I need to recount how some athletic boosters on the UA board of trustees met in secret to plot Nolan's firing and buyout -- before Nolan's infamous press conference occurred.

Season: '96-'97
Record: 18-14 (8-8 SEC)
Postseason: NIT final four
In comparison, when Stan's team won 18 games last season, his best so far, things were so bad they had to decline an NIT invitation.

Season: '86-'87
Record: 19-14
Postseason: NIT second round
Nolan's second year, when you saw glimpses of what he was about to get started. Nolan's first big recruit (Ron Huery) came in, and I'd rank him higher and making more of an impact than Heath's first big recruit (Ronnie Brewer, I guess). NIT included memorable overtime game with Arkansas State. What did Heath do in his second year?

So there are Nolan's worst four years, to compare against Stan's first four years. Besides these four seasons, I guess I should mention that Nolan took the team to 13 NCAA tournaments, which included one national championship, a runner-up, and multiple Final Fours, Sweet Sixteens, and Great Eights. He also won three SWC championships (you all remember those fabulous routes of Texas) and three SEC championships (you all remember that streak of like 13 straight games over LSU). And perhaps his greatest accolade was that it only took one game against Kentucky for him to get standing ovations every time he set foot in Rupp. He revolutionized the SEC and changed college basketball thanks to other coaches like Rick Pitino emulating his style. And you guys ran him off.

Dale Brown said it best on Fox Sports Radio -- "What happened to Nolan Richardson at Arkansas is unforgivable."
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

BentonHog

truth of the matter is that Nolan wasn't winning his last year.  All the times before when he went on his rants, the team was winning, so when he called the fans of Arkansas "red neck S.O.B.s, everyone just said that's just Nolan being Nolan, because the team was successful, but then when the team wasn't hot, he said he wanted to be bought out and he was.  Sucks.  He knows, Frank knows and everyone knows he didn't want to be bought out, he was just mad and frustrated.  Basically, Nolan was just being Nolan.  I miss him.

I miss listening to the radio and hearing him bark at his players.  I could never understand what the heck he was yelling, but whatever it was, it seems to work because it was Arkansas back then that would go on a 30-6 run.  Back then with Nolan's team I never worried about being down 10 or 12 points, because around the 9 or 8 minute mark in the second half, Nolan (with his coat off) would stand up, yell something and BOOM here come the Hogs and h3ll came with them!

Now what do I see?  The hogs blowing leads rolling around on the ground and the head coach doing the same.  Like I said.  I miss Nolan.
"Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."             --Calvin Coolidge

hogsanity

???? HE quit recruiting.  Look at his last classes. FUll of nobodies and noways ( no way was the kid ever going to be eligible to play ).  Igodala(sp) was his best sign in a long time, and he never came because Nolan left. 

The sad thing is, IF Nolan was really offered the Toronto job after the 95 season is that he did not go.  Then he would have left after a NC and a runner up We could have gotten just about ANYONE we wanted as Coach, they could have recruited on the ARk rep if not their own and kept things going. 

What did people expect would happen?  Nolan was always a loud mouth whinner.  He was getting paid good $ to coach BB, not be a activist.  Only, while they were winning it was tolerated.  Once they started losing, or NOT WINNING as much, you knew it would end just like it did.  He was not going to leave on his own.  He was not getting the players anymore.  The crater that became Hog BB was inevitable.

Dont forget, his last team did not make the post season either, he just wasnt around for the last 2 games (one of which we won anyway).  His last teams were just like this years and the last 2, Could not rebound, could not play half court on either end. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Mike Tencleve

Nolan isn't coaching because of Nolan, he won't shut his mouth + not winning = unenployed; Look back at the coaches at the u of a that were forced out or left under pressure, alot if not most of them started thinking that they were bigger than the program or bigger than FRANK, and we all know (like it or not) that FRANK is that man at the u of a.

BentonHog

I would agree, Nolan did whine.  But when did he not whine?  My point is that as long as his team won, he could say whatever he wanted and it was tolerated.  But since his teams didn't preform well for 2 years, they cut him loose the first chance they got.  They did him wrong.  Nutt's teams haven't been bowling in 2 years now, Heath's team haven't done anything but lose and they still are here.  What's the difference?  Because Nolan said what was on his mind, he didn't tote the company line and got run for it.

Wasn't J.J. Sullinger here with Nolan?  He was player of the year in Ohio, so I wouldn't call him a nobody and Andre Iguodala was coming in the following year. Yeah, Nolan had 2 down years, but in my opinion he had earned a couple.  He did what no one else outside of the track program has done and that's win and out right National Championship for Arkansas.
"Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."             --Calvin Coolidge

pfrg999

Nope.... Nolan , in his mind became bigger than UA and the Hogs... he believed his own BS, Hype and was better than the scholl, the system, and Hawgball itself.... He became lazy and took us all for granted... when you say take my job... He turned his back on all of us... It like your old girlfriend after you break-up.... you ONLY remember the good Shiite, not that the last few years were pur hell
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

BentonHog

Maybe that's it.  I only want to remember the good, but at the very least if Nolan were still here, it would probably be entertaining ready the sports section to see what new statements he would have.

checkrazor

Nolan was fired at the absolute first opportunity JFB and company had to fire him.  I know he was jerk, but damnit, he was our jerk.  The treatment Nolan received his first year was probably the darkest point in the history of the Razorback athletics.  Sure, there were some supporters, but probably not as many as Heath has now. 

I don't think Nolan ever completely got over it and his hatred for JR Starr and Wallace was as justified as hate ever really is.  Still, I think he attended and perhaps even spoke at Starr's funeral. 

Nolan is a big, bad, proud black man who was working for an Old South racist.  He was driven, in large part, by black rage.  It served him well until he got to the top and he didn't have anything to be all that angry about.  Then he would overreact to the slightest criticism, perceived or real.  He probably never was truly appreciated but he made it very hard for the fans to truly love him. 

For those who say he had quit recruiting, I agree, up to a point.  I think he had gotten his fire back and his recruiting was on the upswing when he was fired.  Does anyone really think we are a better team now than we would have been had Nolan remained as coach?  You think he would have tolerated three straight seasons of no post-season?

To paraphrase the great one, "Are we better off now than we were four years ago?"
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."  Tom Watson, who has no Charisma.

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2006, 10:54:16 amDont forget, his last team did not make the post season either, he just wasnt around for the last 2 games (one of which we won anyway). His last teams were just like this years and the last 2, Could not rebound, could not play half court on either end.

Don't forget? I listed it right there up at the top.

And please, PLEASE, tell me you did not just bring up rebounding. I remember how guys like you rejoiced four years ago that the team might get more rebounds. I laughed at that because as I posted then and will repeat now, rebounds don't equal points -- or wins.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

stevo98

".......And you guys ran him off"

Nolan ran off Nolan!  He asked to be fired is the way I remember it.
If Nolan was still here, we would still not be winning, but it would be more entertaining!  Like watching UAB.

pfrg999

Yes me too... But the last two years he just mad me mad and I was a HUGE nolan fan... I still Have his Autograph w/Day, Mayberry, and Miller on a Poster Hanging in Reverence in the Middddle of my wall to this day...Loved the Man... Once you belive your own BS... that the day you start the fall... (e.g. Terell Owens)
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

BentonHog

If Nolan was still here, I can't believe that we would be this bad.  I think Nolan and let's not forget his assistant, Mike Anderson, who seems to be doing a pretty good job at UAB.  Nolan's teams were never good rebounding teams, but they were great at pressing and running an up-tempo style game.

Nolan was and probably still is a good coach.  He won on every level he went to.  He is too proud a person to have let his teams lose like this.  Did Nolan feel like his was bigger than the program or did he just feel like his was never respected by the media and JFB?

hogsanity

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on January 13, 2006, 11:25:59 am
Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2006, 10:54:16 amDont forget, his last team did not make the post season either, he just wasnt around for the last 2 games (one of which we won anyway). His last teams were just like this years and the last 2, Could not rebound, could not play half court on either end.

Don't forget? I listed it right there up at the top.

And please, PLEASE, tell me you did not just bring up rebounding. I remember how guys like you rejoiced four years ago that the team might get more rebounds. I laughed at that because as I posted then and will repeat now, rebounds don't equal points -- or wins.

Rebounds dont equal points or wins?  Are you delusional?  LSu got at least 10 pts on stick backs.  THey only won by 5.  Any coach worth anything will tell you every offensive board is worth 1 pt and every turnover is worth the same.  We lost the off boards battle 16-7 Wed night.  Thats 9 pts, we lost by 5. 

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Temprees

Quote from: stevo98 on January 13, 2006, 11:28:06 am
".......And you guys ran him off"

Nolan ran off Nolan! He asked to be fired is the way I remember it.
If Nolan was still here, we would still not be winning, but it would be more entertaining! Like watching UAB.
UAB is winning.  They have been to the NCAA tournament the last two seasons, and have beaten higher seeded teams the last two years in the NCAA tourney.  Yes UAB is entertaining, but they are also WINNING.

Also, if Nolan were here he would be winning.  Face it, Broyles and certain members of the BOT screwed up in giving Nolan his walking papers.  And we fans are still suffering from their mistake.

HognotinMemphis

Sullinger is doing very well on a good Ohio St. team this year. He made the right decision leaving Arkansas when Nolan did.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogsanity

Get the frick over it.  Nolan isnt here, Mike Anderson isnt here and they are not going to be here.  Lets see Mike get hired by an SEC team and winn, then we will talk about what he would or would not do here. 

BentonHog

I would hate to see Mike Anderson on the other side of the court from the hogs.  No doubt the hogs would lose.  Outcoached, Outplayed and mostly Outscored!

Rey Pygsterio

For comparison, Mike Anderson's first three years at UAB

Records:

'04-'05 - 22-11
NCAA tournament second round

'03-'04 - 22-10
NCAA tournament Sweet Sixteen
C-USA Coach of the Year

'02-'03 - 21-13
NIT tournament quarterfinals

List of Anderson's accomplishments since taking over the UAB program:

• The first time any UAB basketball team has won a regular season Conference USA crown.

• The first time UAB reached the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 since 1981.

• The first time since 1986 UAB won a game in the NCAA Tournament.

• The first time UAB has recorded wins in the NCAA Tournament in consecutive years since 1985 and 1986.

• The first time UAB finished the season ranked in the nation's top-25 (ranked 23 in the Final USA Today/Coaches poll).

• The first time UAB reached the championship game of the Conference USA tournament.

• The first time any team led the nation in steals per game in three consecutive years (2002-03, 2003-04 and 2004-05)

• The best single-season improvement in school history, going from 13-17 in 2001-02 to 21-13 in 2002-03 for a +8-game improvement.

• The first consecutive 20-win seasons since 1997-99 and the first back-to-back-to-back 20-win campaigns since 1984-87.

• The first time a first-year coach at UAB won 20 games.

• The first time a first-year head coach in school history had a winning percentage over .600 (.618).

• The first time UAB won 22 games in a season since the 1993-94 campaign.

• The first time UAB won a game in the NIT since it defeated Missouri (93-86) in 1998.

• The first time the Blazers reached the quarterfinals of the NIT tournament since the 1993 season.

stevo98

UAB putting Kentucky out, was that last yr or the yr before?  It was awesome!

nwarazfan

Quote from: BentonHog on January 13, 2006, 11:05:32 am
I would agree, Nolan did whine. But when did he not whine? My point is that as long as his team won, he could say whatever he wanted and it was tolerated. But since his teams didn't preform well for 2 years, they cut him loose the first chance they got. They did him wrong. Nutt's teams haven't been bowling in 2 years now, Heath's team haven't done anything but lose and they still are here. What's the difference? Because Nolan said what was on his mind, he didn't tote the company line and got run for it.

Wasn't J.J. Sullinger here with Nolan? He was player of the year in Ohio, so I wouldn't call him a nobody and Andre Iguodala was coming in the following year. Yeah, Nolan had 2 down years, but in my opinion he had earned a couple. He did what no one else outside of the track program has done and that's win and out right National Championship for Arkansas.

Igoudala's career avg at Arizona: 9.6 ppg - That's Olu numbers.  Guess he was going to take our program back to prominence with those numbers. 

hogmary

I didn't read all the posts on this topic, but I absolutely have to say something.  Nolan did not quit recruiting...the NCAA/Sunday Adebayo situation adversely affected our recruiting for several years.  We self-imposed penalties of reduced scholarships and no JC players, both of which hurt.  Then the NCAA came back and said oops, we goofed.  If Kim Wood hadn't lied to the investigators, we wouldn't have gotten any punishment.  Nolan got sick of the game of being strung along by recruits who never had any intention of coming to the UA and also with AAU coaches who were looking to make money off the athletes they coached (not all AAU coaches).
He wanted to deal with the athletes, their families and their high school coaches.  The last recruiting class he signed, which included Jonathan Modica, Andre Igudola, Demario Eddins, Wen Mukubu and Rashard Sullivan, he felt was the best one he had signed since Miller, Mayberry and Day.  They were recruited to play his style of basketball.  He was looking forward to coaching them when he was fired.  The NCAA investigation soured him somewhat, because he knew he'd done nothing wrong and and he was furious about what was done to Sunday.  Everyone keeps focusing on big name recruits.  Who was after Scotty Thurman, Dwight Stewart and Corey Beck when we signed them?  Was there anyone on our national championship team other than Corliss who was highly recruited?  If you want to compare Nolan Richardson and Stan Heath, compare their records on the court. So what if Heath is in on big name recruits?  It's what he does with them when they get here, if they get here (which is a big if). 

chiefsfan

Quote from: BentonHog on January 13, 2006, 11:36:07 am
If Nolan was still here, I can't believe that we would be this bad. I think Nolan and let's not forget his assistant, Mike Anderson, who seems to be doing a pretty good job at UAB. Nolan's teams were never good rebounding teams, but they were great at pressing and running an up-tempo style game.

Nolan was and probably still is a good coach. He won on every level he went to. He is too proud a person to have let his teams lose like this. Did Nolan feel like his was bigger than the program or did he just feel like his was never respected by the media and JFB?

we would still be pretty bad.   we were going downhill fast.   

And as for the earlier post that Stan had more to work with his first year, I beg to differ.   Nolan had the players, they just were to busy with Cocaine to worry about basketball.   Modica was the only real player that Heath had, and he was a Nolan Recruit.   We had a guy in Eric Ferguson who was not even close to a Sun Belt Caliber point guard.   And our inside game was Rashad Sullivan and Freakin Wembos Mukubu...   Not to mention Kendrick Davis as a shooting guard.

The cubpoard was so bare when Nolan left that even the spiders wanted out...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: stevo98 on January 13, 2006, 12:23:24 pm
UAB putting Kentucky out, was that last yr or the yr before? It was awesome!

2 years ago.   That was the first time I ever remember missing 40 minutes of hell.  If Mike Anderson would have been guranteed our head coaching job, I would have personally driven the UHaul to Nolan's office...   He got the bum rap out of all this, Not Nolan as some of you believe.

Now our program is in complete dissaray...  I doubt it would be that bad with Mike Anderson.   But I dont know if he would have had any more success then Heath did his first year...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Ark Blitz

I agree with your post.  Even with all of Nolan's remarks and the case his teams still played with Heart and Emotions.  Nolan would get his team fired up.  Fans knew that the players had to play hard.  Even when Nolan had a bad recruiting class his players still would work hard and give 100%.  When his starting five was sucking he would bench all of them in a second and put in a new starting five.  Players knew that they had to play hard every play.  Stan's team doesn't do that.  None of his players are scared of getting benched.  They know they can stick it up and still start the next game.  Heath's style of play is Boring and he acts like he is SCARED TO GET ON HIS PLAYERS!! 

BentonHog

Nolan did get run which wasn't right, but I agree, the person that suffered the most was Mike Anderson.  He deserved his shot.  He had earned it, but because of his loyalty to his mentor he stayed by Nolan's side.  I applauded Mike.  Though all of the crap that went on, he never said one negative thing, probably because he thought he had a shot at the Head Hog job, but heck, it should have been his to lose.  Instead, the powers on the hill made it his to never have.

pfrg999

[quote ]
And you guys ran him off.

Dale Brown said it best on Fox Sports Radio -- "What happened to Nolan Richardson at Arkansas is unforgivable."

Og course Dale would say the LSU ran his Arse off... Nolan was a Giant to Nolan... and Bud where are all the Big time offers from the Big Time Schools and the NBA..... there are none... UTEP... and the Panamanian National team Remember all the good... never bring up the bad...