Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mortensen changes mind . . . . .

Started by pigfoot, January 13, 2006, 06:49:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pigfoot

"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

Buff

people were speculating when he left that it may be because he knew mitch was coming.  does this mean the opposite now?  or did he just want to play at the UofA?

hogfan064

Does it mean he's coming back to Arkansas or just changing mind about going to GSU and going elsewhere?

othermac

"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

Ugly Uncle

I really hope he does stay.  I feel confident he would be the number 2 guy here behind Casey.  Who know what Gus and Wood might be able to do with him.  I know Casey looked good...

Question:  With Gus and Wood both being new...are all the QB's going to start even and see which one takes control?  Or is Casey given the 1 on the depth chart and it is his to lose.  If anyone has any insider info...I would find it interesting.
Retired Radio Host

pigfoot

No "insider" information, but I know someone on the Ga. Southern staff who told me that "apparently, someone on the U of A coaching staff persuaded Mortensen to stick around".  Don't know why, don't know who, don't even know if this is speculation.  All I know is what I was told.  I do know this:  they were counting on Mortensen pretty heavily at GSU.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

PigKahuna

Really, it's great if he comes back.  You can't ask for a better backup situation than we would have with Mortenson and Johnson in the event Dick gets hurt.

If MM shows up, all the better.

Swino

This is just scuttlebut, but I hear one of our QB's on campus has serious shoulder problems that have not been reported about yet and that is the reason Mort is staying on campus.

kremlinhog

thanks for the info and not an attack on you, but it really doesnt matter whether mort stays on the hill or not, he will never be able to help us at qb.
nice kid apparently, but should never have been offered in the first place-just another sign of past dismal recruiting. sorry he just does not have the talent.
wonder if he was better than johnson, dick obviously was and didnt get a chance till it was too late. i feel kid of bad for mort because imo he cant be as pathetic as johnson and it could not have hurt if mort was given a chance earlier before dicks redshirt was removed. lets hope the caboose attendant can identify the best players next year before the seventh game.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Swino on January 13, 2006, 08:03:18 am
This is just scuttlebut, but I hear one of our QB's on campus has serious shoulder problems that have not been reported about yet and that is the reason Mort is staying on campus.

say it aint so....

and say it aint dick.....

Bacon out...

Ugly Uncle

I will wait to see before I take your word that he is a waste of a schollie.  I want to see what he can do in Gus' new system.  Who knows what can be done with this kid.  He knows the game.  He is smart.  He has good mechanics.  Maybe Gus and Wood turn him into a great QB.  Let's just wait before we blast the kid and his talents.

Of course that is if he is really staying.

Now, lets get some inside info on which QB it is with the bum wing.
Retired Radio Host

Tomhog™

I had heard quite the opposite.  I was told that someone who HAD shoulder problems was expected to report to spring practice and try to compete for a starting or backup role..... Landon Leach

hogsanity

I have no inside info either, but Mort appears to want to be a coach.  He knows he isnt NFL bound.  A team needs a guy like him, a very smart Qb.  A guy who COULD come in a play and not get you beat if need be.  It may be he feels his best bet at coaching is here, especially with Alex Woods now the Qb coach.  Just a guess though.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tusks

He could still go through spring ball with Gus and see how he fits in and if MM signs.  If the Hogs get MM and after spring ball he's no better than 4th on the depth chart he can transfer to GAS and start next fall.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

BentonHog

So Mortensen is still at U of A?  I heard Rick Schaeffer on drive time this week saying that according to Mortensen's mom that Alex was already attending classes at GA Southern.
"Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."             --Calvin Coolidge

Swino

Quote from: Tomcat on January 13, 2006, 08:39:53 am

I had heard quite the opposite. I was told that someone who HAD shoulder problems was expected to report to spring practice and try to compete for a starting or backup role..... Landon Leach

Landon will not be ready for spring ball, I believe he is going to have shoulder surgery IF coach malazahn will allow him to compete for the qb job in the fall. 

dman

Quote from: BentonHog on January 13, 2006, 09:14:27 am
So Mortensen is still at U of A? I heard Rick Schaeffer on drive time this week saying that according to Mortensen's mom that Alex was already attending classes at GA Southern.
I heard the same report

Tomhog™

Quote from: Swino on January 13, 2006, 09:25:20 am
Quote from: Tomcat on January 13, 2006, 08:39:53 am

I had heard quite the opposite. I was told that someone who HAD shoulder problems was expected to report to spring practice and try to compete for a starting or backup role..... Landon Leach

Landon will not be ready for spring ball, I believe he is going to have shoulder surgery IF coach malazahn will allow him to compete for the qb job in the fall.

Thanks for the clarification.  Is that what you were referring to above?

mtpockets

I wonder if Rick and Chuck are going to call Mort's character into question for not sticking with his commitment?  That being said I hope he stays.  He seems like a good guy and we need all the QB's we can get for depth reasons.  It looked pretty bleak for a few days concerning our QB depth.

Cajun Hog

if he's content on being a back-up the rest of his career, then let him stay.  I wonder if he will have to, walk-on now?  He leaves and they offered two HS QB's scollies?  Everything I've heard he is a great kid and hope he finds peace somewhere.  :razorback:

pfrg999

I think with Gus and Wood... we will have some productive QB's.... I also heard that.... and It made me Happy.... That I made something up and told myself and then I was happy.... I do know squat... I live in KS.  and I am Not MM... or GM or HDN or JFB or JFK, FUJ, or MOM but I am PDF
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Swino

I was informed that Landon is having the surgery regardless and no, that isn't what I was refering to. 

And yes, Landon will have to be a walkon.