Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Arkansas Quarterback Tradition--a look back and a look ahead

Started by Tejano Jawg, January 13, 2006, 01:21:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

During this past season there's been a lot of discussion about our quarterback situation...confusion, lack of direction, etc. (Biggus wrote a couple good articles on this...check them out.) I started thinking about all this during one of our open weeks, now I'm finally writing it down. Plus, with Mitch Mustain hanging in the balance, it seems like the QB topic won't rest anytime soon.

The thing about "tradition," it's not JUST something that's in the distant past...it's reoccurring. Arkansas has had a strong tradition at quarterback--certainly not like the schools where that position has been in the spotlight like the USCs, the Brigham Youngs, etc—but one that's been a barometer for our team's success. For us to win again, this is something we'll need to bring back to life. Maybe the answer is very close.

The look back:  Arkansas had some legendary quarterbacks in the 60s, but for me, that's history that I didn't live. Even though my first Hog game was in the era of the great Joe Ferguson (my dad took me to see him bomb TCU into oblivion), my football consciousness really began in the mid-70s. In 1975 I went to the Texas loss in Fayetteville...a season that was redeemed with our pounding of 2nd ranked/undefeated Texas A+M in the last game. Following that was our big win over Georgia in the '76 Cotton Bowl. The Hog QB that year was Scott Bull...he had a strong senior year and really went out in style. This QB topic really begins here...what this list below illustrates is how, in the past, the overlapping of quarterbacks allowed the veterans to pass the baton (or football I guess) to the young up-and-comers without a huge drop off. This produced constant quality at that position over these years. These are guys who got some decent playing time as freshmen and sophomores, so that when their time came, they were ready. So old timers, a little walk down memory lane...

•Ron Calcagni followed Scott Bull—anyone remember the "veer" formation? Calcagni could run, run the option (sometimes waiting to pitch to his trailing tailback 20 yards downfield), and throw.
•Kevin Scanlon followed Calcagni—this was a little different situation because Scanlon didn't come up through the program...he transferred in as a junior after Holtz got here. Nevertheless, his senior year was super and he ended up the top Southwest Conference quarterback that year.
•Tom Jones followed Scanlon—Jones got to play one complete game as a redshirt freshman because of a Scanlon injury. Jones wasn't the typical smaller, quicker UA quarterback, but in his 4 years he won a lot of games.
•Brad Taylor followed Jones—Taylor got enough PT during his freshman year (due to some Jones injuries) to be SWC newcomer of the year. He was set for a great career, but unfortunately his latter years were spent during the Holtz decline. Now, jumping ahead a few years...
•Quinn Grovey followed Greg Thomas—Grovey's career was full of great and not-as-great games. But I would put his highlight reel up against anyone's. Sadly, his senior year was the beginning of the true dark ages for our program. There was no way his talent could carry the team. I went to 2 games that year—a heartbreaking comeback loss to Texas Tech in Fayetteville (Grovey was making passes all night with defenders hanging on him) and a late-season win here in Dallas at SMU. Side note: I saw Grovey after that game long enough to slap a quick handshake on him and give him an "it's been great, we'll miss you" sentiment. I remember his quiet gasp of acknowledgement...and a tired, disappointed look on his face that truly said it all. That was a hint of things to come for our program.
•There were some bright spots during "the lost years"--the left-handed kid (during Crowe's stint) deserves mention simply because he beat Texas in our last SWC season. And Barry Lunney in his last year was good and a very tough competitor.  

Now, to the present:  HDN inherited the great Clint Stoerner. Following his graduation, how long did we wander in limbo? How many QBs took snaps in games until Matt Jones rose to the top later in his freshman year? That's where the story of our CURRENT situation really begins. From the time Matt started his soph year, Nutt knew the timeline. He knew exactly how long until he graduated. Nutt had 3 years to experiment on the side, to develop "projects," to think about what kind of offense (not just quarterback) we'd need when that time came. Unlike Nutt...in the years of Frank, Holtz and Hatfield it seemed like the NEXT Razorback quarterback was always in our sights. You got the feeling our next starting QB was being developed. Why I never felt that way in HDN's time, I don't know.

The look ahead:  What will be the thing that sparks the resurgence of the great Arkansas QB? Maybe if Casey Dick picks up where he left off. Or maybe it's Mitch Mustain's arrival (IF he arrives that is.) Or both. But similar to Grovey and Matt's situations, I don't want Dick (or any young QB) to have the weight of ALL the responsibility. Houston Nutt will have to do something he hasn't really done yet--bring a young quarterback along, help him mature, and prepare him for greatness in their last years. I'm not sure I had any faith in him doing that...until now. I believe the addition of Gus and Wood is the most significant thing we could have done. I like that they're from different ends of the spectrum...not philosophically, but experience-wise, geography-wise. These guys, and their differences, should complement each other nicely. Take these 2 coaches, add in our current QBs and (hopefully) one from just down the hill, and our future at quarterback looks very bright indeed. We'll know soon enough. Wooo pig soooooie.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

zwhogfan

I agree with you about the future. It would be great to get Mustain if he decides to commit, but that is his choice and he should go where he feels he wants to be. Personally, I feel that Casey Dick has been overlooked during the off season. Dick came in and as a true freshman did a very solid job of running the offense. He brought a spark to the offense and gave us a downfield threat. Sure his stats weren't the greatest but we didn't need them to be, with backs like Mcfadden and Jones. Also, I think Dick did a great job playing behind the makeshift offensive line we had at the end of the year. Those guys worked hard and did their best, but the pass blocking just wasn't there at the end of the season. Dick was running for his life most of the time. However, I think that this year, with all of those players gaining valuable experience, the line will be solid. I think Dick will continue to improve, as will our defense and our already excellent backfield. In summation, I think Dick can continue the string of solid quarterbacking we have enjoyed at the U of A.