Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Open Letter to Mitch

Started by HamShank, January 12, 2006, 10:15:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HamShank

Dear Mitch,

Forgive the length of this.  I've never posted before, but your situation inspired me to write, and since you seem to look at these pages every now and then, I was hoping this might find you.

I've always heard about southerners that we spend our first 25 years trying to get away from our home states, and our next 25 trying to get back.  I'm well into the second half of that equation and stuck in New York for my work, and I can tell you that it's true.

We come from the second poorest state in the country, but it's the second highest in giving to charity.  It's the smallest state west of the Mississippi, yet we're rugged and feisty and, most of all, proud.  Somebody mentions the names Johnny Cash, or Douglas MacArthur, or Bear Bryant, or Al Green, or J. William Fullbright, or Scottie Pippen, or Dee Brown, or Billy Bob Thornton, or Daisy Bates, or Charles Portis, or Scott Joplin, or Dizzy Dean, or Maya Angelou, or any of the others, and we sit up in our chairs a little and say, "You know, THEY'RE from Arkansas."  And it's because of all that and a whole lot more that when people up here say to me, "You're from ARKANSAS?!"  I say, "Yeah...dammit."

And I love Arkansas football too.  I'm sure no more than anyone else here, but certainly no less either.  I remember a few years ago being about 20 feet from DeCori Birmingham when he caught that 30-yarder from Matt Jones to clinch the SEC West.  It was a small moment, even in the annals of Razorback history, but I can count on one hand the times that I've felt better than on that day.

That's what football does for us.  We go through our lives – all these events – and it's usually not until well after they've passed and we look back at them that we know what they mean to us.  But in football, like in movies or life-at-its-best, we get to know exactly what everything means as it happens.  It's life concentrated, and life magnified.  ...And that's why we're fans.  That's why we can't help but be.

Now look, at some point in your life you're going to miss Arkansas bad whether you played for the Hogs or not.  And we'll always welcome you back with open arms; don't misunderstand that.  And if you go to Notre Dame, or elsewhere, we'll wish you well.  And when you enter the NFL, (we'll finally start watching you play again and) we'll check your stats, and when anyone says your name, we'll sit up a little straighter and say, "You know, HE'S from Arkansas."  ...But if you PLAY for us, we'll say, "God, remember that time he connected with Norman for that 30-yarder with nine seconds to go..."  And I'm not talking about National Championships here, Mitch, or even SEC Championships; I'm just talking about the moments. 

And us fans will get on these damn blogs and get in arguments with each other over how you compare to Joe Ferguson, and we'll talk about your stats, and we'll recount the events, and the times we went and saw you, and we'll rattle off your big plays chapter and verse...because that's what we do as fans.  ...Or maybe that's just what we do as Arkansas fans.

Thanks for reading this.  If nothing else, you've inspired me to finally articulate some of the many things I love about my home state and the only team I've ever cared anything about.

Go Hogs.

Hogster18

Hillis4heisman

Absolutely brilliant...I couldn't have said anything more heartfelt in my own words..Damnit I proud to be a lifelong Arkansan and when the chips are down we will be there for each other

TennesseeRaz

very nice.... must really stink to be in NY.... poor fellow.

HAWGSINNUTTHELL

A very nice letter.  Damn nice

RazrBakr

Beautifully put!  After hearing Mitch today, I can't help but be more impressed at his maturity level.  I can only imagine how hard it is for him to be put in this situation at such a young age.  He always seems so calm and collected, but with a good humor thrown in there.  I don't believe that he believes all this hype.  I think he must be a very good, down to earth guy.  I would love to see him play.  I would love to buy #16 Razorback shirts for My kids the next 4 years.  My kids (6 and 4) still know who Matt Jones is.  How awesome would it be for their biggest memories to be of the time they met Mitch Mustain...
Just can't help smiling these days!!!

NuttsSacked

Good read.  Thanks for sharing.

jhippy

You just made me miss home even more! i can"t wait for that drive from dallas to nwa next year for the USC game!! i never write anything on here< just becouse i love the hogs and arkansas so much it hurts sometimes to see the things people write on here about the hogs> Thank you for giving me something positive to coment on> Lets all try and remember the goose bumps we got the very first time our dads took us to a ball game and we heard the crowd call the hogs< i still get those and i hope you guys do too> if you don"t you have bigger problems than if a kid comes here or not< you have lost something i think is worth a lot more

preunions

Lets not forget that chics are alot hotter in the south than in the frigid midwest! The UA is a truly a target-rich environment....

Razor6

Mitch Mustain.

There has never been a better house hold name!!!  Especially in our state!

Mitch Mustain is an Arkansas house hold name!  And I'd love to see it go down in the UA record books as the best that ever was!

-R6
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

HogInaStrangeLand

HamShank, I know exactly what you mean.

Thanks for posting.

If anyone needs a place to sleep for the Razorback game in Atlanta this year, just drop me a line.

pbjones81

how did you get 5 applauds and 5 smites all from this one post?  Its your only post....and a good one at that. 

Brer Hog

January 13, 2006, 01:13:48 am #12 Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 01:24:03 am by Brer Hog
Well said Mr. Hamshank.  There is a lot of truth in your words. 

Mitch you don't just have to be way off in New York to miss Arkansas, either.  I moved to Houston, Texas from Fayetteville in 1988, shortly after I graduated from Arkansas.   I live a solid 9-hour drive to both Fayetteville or Little Rock.  Its not as far away as New York, but its not Arkansas, either.  I have been able to attend only one Arkansas game since moving away, and that happened to be in Atlanta where I had a cousin that happened to have tickets to the SEC Championship game so I dropped some bills and flew out there.  I see my family in Arkansas about twice a year  for a couple of days each because that is how often we can schedule and afford to make the trip home.  Even if I had more disposable income to travel more, the pressures and commitments of life here would keep me from having the time to be there.  Because I chose to move away from Arkansas and start a life elsewhere I am "stuck" away from Arkansas for the forseeable future.  I am happily married to a Texas gal who has family here, so naturally she has no interest in leaving Texas, and because I live out of state my children will probably one day go to college in Texas, not Arkansas.    My point in telling you all this is for you to consider not only where you want to go to school and their football and academic programs, but also where do you want to one day establish your life after sports?  Granted, if you were to make it to the NFL and become a big sports star someday you could locate anywhere you wanted and probably do quite well wherever you are, though it might not be Arkansas. 

Mitch, if you value Arkansas like it seems you may, and think of it as home and want to maintain real ties here, then I urge you to really consider what leaving the area might mean to your long term plans.  Life happens  and can be quite messy.  My lovely wife and I share alot of wonderful things together, but my  love for Arkansas and my beloved Hogs is not one of them.

Just food for thought --

I hope to be watching you in Razorback red on CBS and ESPN Game Plan on Saturdays from time to time, but that will have to be your decision.  Go with your gut!