Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Listening to the interview this morning, I guess it's safe to assume

Started by hawgzilla1, January 12, 2006, 06:35:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgzilla1

that it will be signing day or close to it before we know where Mitch is headed. I have to take the young man at his word when he says that he's not sure where he will end up. That being the case, I can't blame him for checking out his options. The (maybe selfish) fan in me was hoping Mitch would announce sometime soon. Hopefully for Arkansas. If Arkansas is where he ends up it could have given recruiting a real shot in the arm if he'd committed before the two remaining weekends that Arkansas will be hosting recruits. I know it's not his responsibility to recruit for Arkansas but, given all the national attention Mitch has received, it would most certainly make it easier for the coaches to sell the recruits on the direction the program is headed.

Mitch seems to be a really intelligent young man and I'm sure he will be successfull nomatter where he goes but there are certain advantages to staying home. After football (whenever that may be) there will be many doors open to Mitch in the state of Arkansas. Being from Arkansas (one of our own) he not only would be playing infront of 75,000 fans, he'd be playing infront of 75,000 friends. I think better days are ahead for Arkansas football and Mitch has the opportunity to be the catalyst in bringing our program back to where it once was in the football world. There's no place like home.

HatfieldHog

We all know that Mitch's commitment immediately would boost our recruiting, but there is one thing that Mitch has been stubborning resisting, and is still resisting:  BEING THE SAVIOR OF ARKANSAS FOOTBALL!  He knows that his committment would help recruiting, but he is still waiting till he is ready.  I think that he is saying, "I'll be a part of this puzzle, but I won't be THE puzzle."
I admire him for that determination!    See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

NuttsSacked

Quote from: HatfieldHog on January 12, 2006, 07:33:38 pm
We all know that Mitch's commitment immediately would boost our recruiting, but there is one thing that Mitch has been stubborning resisting, and is still resisting:  BEING THE SAVIOR OF ARKANSAS FOOTBALL!  He knows that his committment would help recruiting, but he is still waiting till he is ready.  I think that he is saying, "I'll be a part of this puzzle, but I won't be THE puzzle."
I admire him for that determination!    See ya

I agree.  Mustain isn't being paid to recruit, the coaches are.  If Nutt & Co. are relying on a 17 year old to bring in a this recruiting class, we're in trouble.

Shag66

I agree with HH that maybe MM is feeling a little intimidated by having all of this placed on his shoulders.  It is a heck of a load.  Who was the last in-stater to generate this much insanity? Corliss?  It must be hard to be the "man" for the entire state.  Especially at 17 yrs old.  MJ was the man, but MJ was a whole different kinda cat...  He could care less what everyone said and thought... he just wanted to play...  I don't blame MM for feeling overwhelmed.

I disagree with NuttsSacked.  MM pulling his verbal probably cost us some shots at some kids and IMHO that wasn't HDN's fault...  I like MM and I respect him more after listening to his interview today, but when the #1 recruit in the nation pulls his commit, it hurts recruiting and it wasn't HDN's fault that MM pulled his commit.  ( I know I am gonna get reamed for THAT statement)  If you wanna blame someone for MM pulling his commit, blame the fans that were actively trying to get the coach that had the #1 player signed fired by constantly berating him here and on radio shows and everywhere else in the state because we didn't have as good a year as we could have. Maybe we did need an OC and maybe we did need some staff shakeup, but we had a solid commit from MM until everyone got down on the program.   Was 2005 a stellar season? no...  but anyone who looked at the schedule last year could have guessed that it wasn't going to be...

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: Shag66 on January 12, 2006, 08:02:25 pm
I agree with HH that maybe MM is feeling a little intimidated by having all of this placed on his shoulders. It is a heck of a load. Who was the last in-stater to generate this much insanity? Corliss? It must be hard to be the "man" for the entire state. Especially at 17 yrs old. MJ was the man, but MJ was a whole different kinda cat... He could care less what everyone said and thought... he just wanted to play... I don't blame MM for feeling overwhelmed.

I disagree with NuttsSacked. MM pulling his verbal probably cost us some shots at some kids and IMHO that wasn't HDN's fault... I like MM and I respect him more after listening to his interview today, but when the #1 recruit in the nation pulls his commit, it hurts recruiting and it wasn't HDN's fault that MM pulled his commit. ( I know I am gonna get reamed for THAT statement) If you wanna blame someone for MM pulling his commit, blame the fans that were actively trying to get the coach that had the #1 player signed fired by constantly berating him here and on radio shows and everywhere else in the state because we didn't have as good a year as we could have. Maybe we did need an OC and maybe we did need some staff shakeup, but we had a solid commit from MM until everyone got down on the program. Was 2005 a stellar season? no... but anyone who looked at the schedule last year could have guessed that it wasn't going to be...

Good post!  I agree Shag66.  Karma to you!

NuttsSacked

I agree with HH that maybe MM is feeling a little intimidated by having all of this placed on his shoulders. It is a heck of a load. Who was the last in-stater to generate this much insanity? Corliss? It must be hard to be the "man" for the entire state. Especially at 17 yrs old. MJ was the man, but MJ was a whole different kinda cat... He could care less what everyone said and thought... he just wanted to play... I don't blame MM for feeling overwhelmed.

I disagree with NuttsSacked. MM pulling his verbal probably cost us some shots at some kids and IMHO that wasn't HDN's fault... I like MM and I respect him more after listening to his interview today, but when the #1 recruit in the nation pulls his commit, it hurts recruiting and it wasn't HDN's fault that MM pulled his commit. ( I know I am gonna get reamed for THAT statement) If you wanna blame someone for MM pulling his commit, blame the fans that were actively trying to get the coach that had the #1 player signed fired by constantly berating him here and on radio shows and everywhere else in the state because we didn't have as good a year as we could have. Maybe we did need an OC and maybe we did need some staff shakeup, but we had a solid commit from MM until everyone got down on the program. Was 2005 a stellar season? no... but anyone who looked at the schedule last year could have guessed that it wasn't going to be...

HORSE CRAP!  Did it ever occur to you that Mitch may have pulled his commitment because NUTT'S performance sucked this year yet he fired the guy that was actively recruiting him?

Once again, Mustain is not the recruiting coordinator.  HDN didn't lose ANYONE as a result of Mitch's decommitment.  Nutt just couldn't close the deal on his "A" list of prospects.  As usual.

Shag66

QuoteHORSE CRAP!  Did it ever occur to you that Mitch may have pulled his commitment because NUTT'S performance sucked this year yet he fired the guy that was actively recruiting him?

Did it ever occur to YOU that HDN fired RW because FB TOLD him to?  If HDN hadn't of taken as much heat from the fans this year he probably wouldn't have fired RW...  and of course he didn't close on a couple of kids after MM pulled his commit. 

Thehammer

Quote from: hawgzilla1 on January 12, 2006, 06:35:13 pm
that it will be signing day or close to it before we know where Mitch is headed. I have to take the young man at his word when he says that he's not sure where he will end up. That being the case, I can't blame him for checking out his options. The (maybe selfish) fan in me was hoping Mitch would announce sometime soon. Hopefully for Arkansas. If Arkansas is where he ends up it could have given recruiting a real shot in the arm if he'd committed before the two remaining weekends that Arkansas will be hosting recruits. I know it's not his responsibility to recruit for Arkansas but, given all the national attention Mitch has received, it would most certainly make it easier for the coaches to sell the recruits on the direction the program is headed.

Mitch seems to be a really intelligent young man and I'm sure he will be successfull nomatter where he goes but there are certain advantages to staying home. After football (whenever that may be) there will be many doors open to Mitch in the state of Arkansas. Being from Arkansas (one of our own) he not only would be playing infront of 75,000 fans, he'd be playing infront of 75,000 friends. I think better days are ahead for Arkansas football and Mitch has the opportunity to be the catalyst in bringing our program back to where it once was in the football world. There's no place like home.

It's hard to ascertain anything --  given the rigid limitations that we were given by Mike and Bo in terms of questions. 

lumphog

Quote from: NuttsSacked on January 12, 2006, 07:44:54 pm
Quote from: HatfieldHog on January 12, 2006, 07:33:38 pm
We all know that Mitch's commitment immediately would boost our recruiting, but there is one thing that Mitch has been stubborning resisting, and is still resisting: BEING THE SAVIOR OF ARKANSAS FOOTBALL! He knows that his committment would help recruiting, but he is still waiting till he is ready. I think that he is saying, "I'll be a part of this puzzle, but I won't be THE puzzle."
I admire him for that determination! See ya

I agree. Mustain isn't being paid to recruit, the coaches are. If Nutt & Co. are relying on a 17 year old to bring in a this recruiting class, we're in trouble.
Very well said !!!!

lumphog

Quote from: NuttsSacked on January 12, 2006, 08:18:45 pm

HORSE CRAP! Did it ever occur to you that Mitch may have pulled his commitment because NUTT'S performance sucked this year yet he fired the guy that was actively recruiting him?

Once again, Mustain is not the recruiting coordinator. HDN didn't lose ANYONE as a result of Mitch's decommitment. Nutt just couldn't close the deal on his "A" list of prospects. As usual.
Very well said..........again...............What is up with these Nutt huggers?????????

NuttsSacked

Quote from: Shag66 on January 12, 2006, 08:24:44 pm
QuoteHORSE CRAP! Did it ever occur to you that Mitch may have pulled his commitment because NUTT'S performance sucked this year yet he fired the guy that was actively recruiting him?

Did it ever occur to YOU that HDN fired RW because FB TOLD him to? If HDN hadn't of taken as much heat from the fans this year he probably wouldn't have fired RW... and of course he didn't close on a couple of kids after MM pulled his commit.

You keep stating the fans are responsible for this mess.  I've got news for you.  ANY coach posting 5-6 and 4-7 records two years running is going to catch some heat.  In the SEC, most anyone (other than Nutt) would be fired as a result.

A couple of questions...  Do you know for a FACT JFB told HDN to fire Wittke?  Can you name the recruits Nutt LOST as a result of Mustains decommitment?

Here's a fact for ya'...If Nutt produced an SEC competitive team once every blue moon, we wouldn't be having this discussion because the fans would support him and Mustain would be a solid commit. 

Don't give me any BS about the lack of support for Nutt.  He's been backed to a fault because his record doesn't lie yet he's still employed by the UofA.       

Shag66

QuoteA couple of questions...  Do you know for a FACT JFB told HDN to fire Wittke?  Can you name the recruits Nutt LOST as a result of Mustains decommitment?

No, I don't know that JFB told HDN to fire Wittke.  But I do know that it is widely speculated that JFB did just that.  I also know that unless you are MUCH more in the know than you appear to be, you don't know for a FACT that he didn't.

As far as the recruits go, no, I can't name the recruits.  Maybe he didn't lose any due to the MM de-commitment.  It does seem logical to me though that the #1 recruit in the country pulling a commit would at least give others a reason to pause and reconsider before committing.  I do believe that if MM had stayed firm in his commitment it could have definitely helped in recruiting other players.

QuoteHere's a fact for ya'...If Nutt produced an SEC competitive team once every blue moon, we wouldn't be having this discussion because the fans would support him and Mustain would be a solid commit.

Facts are facts and these are misleading...  We HAVE won consistently under Nutt.  We HAVE went to several bowls and had several BIG wins.  We HAVE been to the SEC Championship game.  We DID beat Texas. The last 2 years have sucked and no one will argue that, but he has led us to some of the most memorable wins in Razorback history.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here and I won't.  I just feel that right now there are a lot of "fairweather" Hog fans out there.