Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For those harping over former coach Mike Anderson (did you know)

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, January 12, 2006, 01:03:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

I must agree great coach but HORRIFIC recruitor!!! :puke:  UAB is having much success this season with a dismal recruiting the past 3 seasons in conference usa and a out of conference schedule which includes  Virginia Com, Old Dominion, Alcorn St, Western Kentucky, South Carolina St, Centenary, Nebraska, South Florida and just a few days ago Vadolsta St University.   By the way only one of the above team's boast and winning record and the UAB Blazers lost to them. 

His best RPI wins are over - UMASS & Okla. ST. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

CarolinaHog1176

he doesn't recruit a polished NBA-potential player like most colleges do....  so their "star ratings" aren't going to reflect what they bring to the team.  mike likes the athletes who can run and gun, full court press, and put sneaker marks on the glass - and that's apparently working for him.  someone mentioned that kentucky has 5 mcdonald all-americans on their team and that ain't doin' sheeeit so far this year.... so who's been doing the better recruiting?
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on January 12, 2006, 01:16:47 pm
he doesn't recruit a polished NBA-potential player like most colleges do.... so their "star ratings" aren't going to reflect what they bring to the team. mike likes the athletes who can run and gun, full court press, and put sneaker marks on the glass - and that's apparently working for him. someone mentioned that kentucky has 5 mcdonald all-americans on their team and that ain't doin' sheeeit so far this year.... so who's been doing the better recruiting?

I was the one who mentioned that but I think the ultimate thinking is this combination -

#1. Stan Heath's recruiting
#2. Mike Anderson's up-tempo-Offense

That would be a lethal coaching combination what do you think....
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Biggus Piggus

Anderson has recruited guards 100x better than Heath has.  And UAB would tear us a new one.
[CENSORED]!

three

True, Anderson wouldn't win a NC at Arkansas, I don't believe he would be the coach of the future.  But, I would have liked to have seen him given a shot. 
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

three

He's done things Stan hasn't, like win on the road, go to the Big Dance, beat Kentucky, go to the Sweet 16.  Don't know we'll be seeing that in the Heath-era
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

Niels Boar

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 12, 2006, 01:03:02 pm
I must agree great coach but HORRIFIC recruitor!!! :puke: UAB is having much success this season with a dismal recruiting the past 3 seasons in conference usa and a out of conference schedule which includes Virginia Com, Old Dominion, Alcorn St, Western Kentucky, South Carolina St, Centenary, Nebraska, South Florida and just a few days ago Vadolsta St University. By the way only one of the above team's boast and winning record and the UAB Blazers lost to them.

His best RPI wins are over - UMASS & Okla. ST.

Dude, you need to look again.  VC, Old Dominion and Western Kentucky are top 50 RPI.  Only three of those teams have losing records.  Nebraska is top 100 and 2-0 in the Big 12.  They beat Oklahoma.  UAB's SOS ranks higher than ours presently.  Anderson is 2-2 against the top 50, 4-2 against the top 100, 2-2 on the road, and 3-2 road/neutral. His best RPI wins are top 50 Old Dominion and Virginia Commonwealth.

93hog

Right now Rivals has our recruiting class ranked 22, UAB is 23.  Now granted we are ahead of them, but by only 1.  I wouldn't think UAB should be anywhere close to us when it comes to recruiting.  Looks to me like Mike is doing pretty good.

old timer

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 12, 2006, 01:20:53 pm
he doesn't recruit a polished NBA-potential player like most colleges do.... so their "star ratings" aren't going to reflect what they bring to the team. mike likes the athletes who can run and gun, full court press, and put sneaker marks on the glass - and that's apparently working for him. someone mentioned that kentucky has 5 mcdonald all-americans on their team and that ain't doin' sheeeit so far this year.... so who's been doing the better recruiting?

I was the one who mentioned that but I think the ultimate thinking is this combination -

What good is recruiting if it doesnt translate into wins down the road.  True recruiting success should be measured on a teams and players college performance.  Who cares about high school ratings!  It's not like teams are shying away from us because we had a higher recruiting class than them.  A coach should be judged on his success (wins).  That's why they make the enormous salary.  Perform or be gone.  Mike A certainly would have been more successful than Stan.   What do we want? A recruiter or a winner?  Good recruiters are called ASSISTANT COACHES, winners are called HEAD COACHES.

pfrg999

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 12, 2006, 01:20:53 pm

That would be the ticket... Stewie you are a genuis... Think Anderson would be a asst. for us again ;D  I know cold day hell all that... but man that would sure fit the bill... Mike's offense with our players
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

pfrg999

Quote from: 93hog on January 12, 2006, 01:43:53 pm
Right now Rivals has our recruiting class ranked 22, UAB is 23. Now granted we are ahead of them, but by only 1. I wouldn't think UAB should be anywhere close to us when it comes to recruiting. Looks to me like Mike is doing pretty good.

And what will it be if Washington goes pro...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

The_Bionic_Pig

January 12, 2006, 02:12:03 pm #11 Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 02:14:14 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: Niels Boar on January 12, 2006, 01:28:29 pm
Dude, you need to look again.  VC, Old Dominion and Western Kentucky are top 50 RPI.  Only three of those teams have losing records.  Nebraska is top 100 and 2-0 in the Big 12.  They beat Oklahoma.  UAB's SOS ranks higher than ours presently.  Anderson is 2-2 against the top 50, 4-2 against the top 100, 2-2 on the road, and 3-2 road/neutral. His best RPI wins are top 50 Old Dominion and Virginia Commonwealth.

You forgot to mention that Old Dominion and Virginia Commonwealth play in the Colonial Athletic Conference.   UMASS current RPI is 111 :o and  has lost to Davidson College  :D.  Your right about Nebraska being top 100 (72 RPI) but their SOS is 208 out of 334 Teams.   And Western Kentucky has lost to Bradley & Pacifica.   :D :D

So in essence you tell me if Arkansas had lost to

Bradley
Pacifica
Davidson

You wouldn't be upset because their up and coming programs right.  Check you facts here - http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_407_Men.html

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

madxbayhog

Stewie, there is whole helluva lot of difference between recruiting to UAB ad then recruiting to Arkansas. UAB has 1/4 the facilities that we do. I'm not saying Mike is the answer but he would be a lot better than what we have now. The SEC is as weak as its been in a long time and we still suck. Just tired of losing. No sweet 16's since 1996. Unacceptable!!

Niels Boar

QuoteDude, you need to look again.  VC, Old Dominion and Western Kentucky are top 50 RPI.  Only three of those teams have losing records.  Nebraska is top 100 and 2-0 in the Big 12.  They beat Oklahoma.  UAB's SOS ranks higher than ours presently.  Anderson is 2-2 against the top 50, 4-2 against the top 100, 2-2 on the road, and 3-2 road/neutral. His best RPI wins are top 50 Old Dominion and Virginia Commonwealth.

You forgot to mention that Old Dominion and Virginia Commonwealth play in the Colonial Athletic Conference.   UMASS current RPI is 111  and  has lost to Davidson College  .  Your right about Nebraska being top 100 (72 RPI) but their SOS is 208 out of 334 Teams.   And Western Kentucky has lost to Bradley & Pacifica.   

So in essence you tell me if Arkansas had lost to

Bradley
Pacifica
Davidson

You wouldn't be upset because their up and coming programs right.  Check you facts here - http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_407_Men.html

Did you read your link?  Western Kentucky has beaten Virginia and lost by 5 at Arizona.  Warren Nolan has them at #49 in the RPI.  Yours has them at #63.  That's a quality team no matter how you slice it.  Geez, look at MSU's RPI and the Louisiana directional schools they lost too.  Arkansas lost to the #82 RPI team.

What difference does it make what conference they play in?  NOBODY HAS PLAYED HARDLY ANY CONFERENCE GAMES. Conference games don't factor into computer rankings yet.   BTW the Colonial is pretty good this season.

And, yeah, UAB beat UMass on the road. What's your point?  UMass is only UAB's fifth best win.http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2006/schedule/UAB

Man, take a break.  You didn't have an argument.

hogmary

UAB also pounded Oklahoma State.  The point is that Mike's team plays as a team and they play hard.  He might not have as much talent as Arkansas, but he makes better use of it.

three

Quote from: pfrg999 on January 12, 2006, 01:58:08 pm
Right now Rivals has our recruiting class ranked 22, UAB is 23. Now granted we are ahead of them, but by only 1. I wouldn't think UAB should be anywhere close to us when it comes to recruiting. Looks to me like Mike is doing pretty good.

And what will it be if Washington goes pro...
Well, that's not an issue, b/c of the NBA's new rule, they ALL have to come at least one year.  Thaddeus Young would have gone pro, but can't.

Biggus Piggus

And that's not true, because prep school means Washington will be a year out of high school and old enough to go.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Wowee.  That's a stunner.  Stewie has to be stinging.  If Mike Anderson is a lousy recruiter, then Heath must be too.
[CENSORED]!

three

Biggus Piggus

MA has signed two quick guards, a combo forward and a power player.  Pretty good fit for his needs.

Heaf has signed a combo forward, a swingman and a shooting guard.  No point guard.  We just gonna go with one next season?  And how about rebounders, Mr. Genius?  How about physical defenders?  Are we ever going to get any guards who are physical defenders?

Know why Thad Young chose Georgia Tech over Arkansas?  Ga Tech recruited a stud point guard!  We didn't.
[CENSORED]!

jamie72921

I believe Mike Anderson has won a national championship as a coach while he was here as an assistant. 

I also didn't realize that UAB was a place that lots of recruits wanted to go to.  I mean when has UAB ever had top recruits?

Here is the truth.  Anderson went into a tougher situation than even Heath had here at Arkansas.  The Blazers were returning around 20% of their scoring and rebounding from the previous year and had just come off a worse season than AR just had.  He took the kids that were on the end of that bench and added Demario Eddins and Brandon Tobias to them and won 20 games and nearly made the tournament by making the finals of the conference tournament and barely losing to Louisville in the final seconds of that game.  The next season he added some second tier recruits to this and goes to the sweet 16 beating UK.  Last season he got to the tournament and beat the team that just won one at our place like he owned them.  If you still think Heath is doing a better job at a program with much more at his disposal then you are just a Nolan hater or a Eddie Sutton sucker.
Bless your heart

jkcrunch

Mike has more ncca tourney wins than in comparision to Stan at the UA with equal talent.   And he took this job with the understanding if the athletic program did not make money in 3 years they would pull out of d1.   I consider Mike to be Diet Nolan all the great things of the original without all the bad crap.

three

Quote from: jkcrunch on January 12, 2006, 10:07:28 pm
Mike has more ncca tourney wins than in comparision to Stan at the UA with equal talent. And he took this job with the understanding if the athletic program did not make money in 3 years they would pull out of d1. I consider Mike to be Diet Nolan all the great things of the original without all the bad crap.
GREAT LINE!!!! Diet Nolan, I like that alot!!!!

coolhog

Id rather have less talent and beat good teams like OK State & Kentucky than lose
to average teams with good recruits. What does that say for Mike Anderson who can
beat Kentucky with a team that has no big name players?
Stan either gets in the Tourney this year or he is GONE>

Foots

Top 10 recruiting classes mean nothing if you can't coach them. I thought we had a motion offense. Why do they all just stand around? Looks like an NBA game out there.

lunchbox72703

IMO, Mike Anderson is a great coach, but too much politics play into his hiring by the U of A