Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Responses to Mitch's Press Row interview...

Started by PIGskin Pride, January 12, 2006, 09:03:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PIGskin Pride

I thoguth Mitch was poised.  I thought there was a lot of things to pick up on here.  Use this thread to post what you picked up on inthe interview...

Go Hogs 06

PIGskin Pride

A few things I saw...

1.  Last night he thought about playing USC next year as a true freshman...
2.  Ben Cleveland is out there recruiting hard for us
3.  He said it would be awesome to have the springdale group together at the U of A

HoggyWood

I did manage to hear bits a pieces of the interview. It sounds like a two horse race between us and ND. Mitch was indeed poised, and sounded like he was having fun. Whoever gets him will get a good QB, but I still don't know which way he is leaning.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: PIGskin Pride on January 12, 2006, 09:03:12 am
I thoguth Mitch was poised. I thought there was a lot of things to pick up on here. Use this thread to post what you picked up on inthe interview...

Go Hogs 06

Personally, I think when everything is said and done he will probaby come to Fayetteville.  Could all hinge on his sit-down with Coach Wood.  The reasons he had in August for committing to Arkansas are still valid.  The changes made are:  Wittke is gone; Gus is here; Wood is here. He obviously is comfortablewith Gus.  The question is, is he comfortable with Alex?

"Comfortable"....that's the word that describes what impressed me.  It's just obvious that he is comfortable with "home".  He is comfortable with Gus, Andrew, and Ben. He is comfortable joking around with Bo and Mike. I think his "comfort level" win out.

duckman

He also said that Gus would be fine with or without him, but in the same sentence he also said Gus would be fine AFTER he (Mitch) left......

Subliminal slip? 

God are we grasping at straws or what....

abq

Quote from: Sunshinehog on January 12, 2006, 09:11:09 am
I find it embarassing that this kid is being kissed up to by all of you, including Bo and Mike. It's a circus and they have now entered the third ring as the clowns.

This take brought to you by Skip.

PIGskin Pride

Sunshine, 1 post (Negative)...  This thread was meant for insight to read between the lines (positive or negative).  Not for bashing people or sucking up to Mitch...

Go Hogs 06

professorofpork

By Mitch saying gus would be fine "after he left" I think he meant that Gus would be fine after he left college... I feel better about getting this kid after the interview.

PoP

Arkiejared

In talking about DW, he also said something like, "I don't know if he will change his mind after talking to Coach Malzahn, or Ben, or any of us."

Another slip?

WxHog

I enjoyed that very much.  Everyone that comes to this board should listen to that interview when it is archived later today.  You will have a new appreciation of Mitch and his side of the story.   Mitch called Bo up to do this interview voluntarily.  Agree that Mitch did a good job of answering the questions, and we saw a humorous, playful side of him at times.  Stating that he is happy with the changes that have took place since he decommitted, I think we still have a good chance of seeing him come to Arkansas.  Maybe I am being optimistic and reading too much into it, but I get the feeling that he knows something about Damian that he is hiding.   It sounded like he had a grin on his face and chuckled a bit when he stated that I don't see Damian that much.   Mitch knowing about the funny photoshop pictures that are posted, it proves that he comes onto this board often.  Good job, Mitch!

PIGskin Pride

I also thought it was good that he got such a kick out of the Starwars cartoons.  He really laughed and said he thought the phillip Fulmer one was "awesome" and then made reference to the Damien cartoon witht he gator...

He didn't dismiss them as stupid cartoons, he liked them...

Go Hogs 06

hawgstuckinaustin

i hope someone provides a link when this interview is archived

hoginator

Guys, It's real simple to me. I believe Mitch wants to be a Hog just like most that grew up in this state. You could hear it in his responses. He loves Arkansas. He loves the Razorbacks. The reason he de-committed IMHO was because of the instability of the program. He got on the ship, it started falling apart, he stepped off of the ship. "They" are repairing the ship so he's visiting some other ships, but the ship that he loves is still there. Once it's said and done, he'll sail on the ship that he feels is the best ship for him.
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

TulsaHawg

Quote from: WxHog on January 12, 2006, 09:19:31 am
I enjoyed that very much. Everyone that comes to this board should listen to that interview when it is archived later today. You will have a new appreciation of Mitch and his side of the story. Mitch called Bo up to do this interview voluntarily. Agree that Mitch did a good job of answering the questions, and we saw a humorous, playful side of him at times. Stating that he is happy with the changes that have took place since he decommitted, I think we still have a good chance of seeing him come to Arkansas. Maybe I am being optimistic and reading too much into it, but I get the feeling that he knows something about Damian that he is hiding. It sounded like he had a grin on his face and chuckled a bit when he stated that I don't see Damian that much. Mitch knowing about the funny photoshop pictures that are posted, it proves that he comes onto this board often. Good job, Mitch!

Not a big deal, but after Bo said that Mitch called him last night about coming on the show, Mitch said, "Actually, I called this one." I took that as meaning he actually called Mike and not Bo.

I thought that the interview was excellent, and it was a very good idea to do it.

hoginator

Sunday night's in home visit SHOULD be the clincher. We need to let him know what to expect. If he wants to redshirt we should agree to it Sunday night, etc. Heck, who isn't ok with letting Casey run the show next year??? I trust Gus to make the "sale".

I totally agree. It sounded as if he was hinting that the meeting with Alex Wood would be one of the last deciding factors. Mitch has his head on straight. I just wish we fans did...

ab2cmiller

Notre Dame fan here.  After listening to most of the interview I'm left with the same impression as most of you.  I just get the impression that he will ultimately sign with Arkansas.  I doubt very much that a person would come on the radio and face all of those questions if he knew he wanted to go to Notre Dame.  Even if he ultimately signed with ND, I thought it took a lot of "balls" to have to answer all those questions on the air.

HighOnHogs

Hogs4Ever

Great insights.  Hope is still alive!   8)

The real Hogules

There were a couple definite signs from what Mitch said that leads me to think that Arkansas is either even with or a little ahead of Notre Dame.
The "us" comment in reference to Ben Cleveland recruiting DW to Arkansas, the Gus would be fine "after" he left, ect. are all examples of saying little but speaking volumes!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

ednedfred

I thought the questions asked of Mitch were great.  Overall, he did a good job of answering them.  I did think it was funny that he ghostwrites on messageboards. 
'Run hard die with a scar, fly low beat the radar."

PigPusher

The men operating within the confines of this operation know what they are doing and all is going to be fine.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

hoginator

In defense of the fans....WE ARE SICK OF LOSING...in the two main sports. We aren't thinking clearly.

I am sick of losing as well. At least when the football team was morbid in the early 90's, we could hold our heads high during basketball season. Now I'm worried we'll see brown paper bags at BW...

Razorback Jedi

I just replayed the entire interview at 2x speed backwards with a couple of saturation filters on top, and I clearler heard Mitch speak these words:

"What I really want to tell you guys is this: I'm not going to play college football. I'm going to go to sign with the Amsterdam NFL team so I can wear my knee brace in peace and do the things I love to do without wondering if my actions are going to cause riots, divorces, and mass chaos."

CiriusPorker

Skip?  Was HBH kicked off or banned?  Why did he not stay around as HBH?  Not to de-rail, but i think several on here enjoyed him on here.

HoggyWood

Quote from: hoginator on January 12, 2006, 09:33:33 am

Sunday night's in home visit SHOULD be the clincher. We need to let him know what to expect. If he wants to redshirt we should agree to it Sunday night, etc. Heck, who isn't ok with letting Casey run the show next year??? I trust Gus to make the "sale".

I totally agree. It sounded as if he was hinting that the meeting with Alex Wood would be one of the last deciding factors. Mitch has his head on straight. I just wish we fans did...

Agree. I hope Mitch is as impressed with Alex Wood and his credentials as we all have been.

Quote from: Arkiejared on January 12, 2006, 09:18:54 am
In talking about DW, he also said something like, "I don't know if he will change his mind after talking to Coach Malzahn, or Ben, or any of us."

Another slip?

I heard that too. I thought I might have misunderstood, but I am glad that someone else heard this as well. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 12, 2006, 09:39:57 am
There were a couple definite signs from what Mitch said that leads me to think that Arkansas is either even with or a little ahead of Notre Dame.
The "us" comment in reference to Ben Cleveland recruiting DW to Arkansas, the Gus would be fine "after" he left, ect. are all examples of saying little but speaking volumes!

I think that is reading way too much into it.  By saying Gus would be fine after he left, I think was a reference to he knowing Gus would be fine after the Springdale 5 left high school.  I think the us comment was if anyone asked him to go ANYWHERE, would it matter?
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

razor-trac

I thought it was interesting that when he spoke of coaches - how he felt about them, what he intended to discuss with them, etc. - he NEVER mentioned Nutt's name. He mentioned Gus, Markeson, Wood but no Nutt ever.

Why would a kid call to invite himself onto a sports talk show? The only thing I can think of is to repair PR damage. I would not be concerned about PR damage if I were going to ND. The efforts would be a waste of time. And he said that the media stuff was getting really old. So why do the show?

Hopefully he is repairing PR damage because he is coming here. If he does not come here however I do not blame him. I blame Nutt. Conversely, if he does come here I would not credit Nutt. Tough for Nutt, but he makes over a million dollars a year to do what he does.

Mitch Mustain sounded intelligent and level-headed for the few minutes I heard him - whatever that's worth. Wish him the best.
"We have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord." BH Obama at inauguration

"A failure to act, and act now, will turn crisis into a catastrophe and guarantee a longer recession, a less robust recovery, and a more uncertain future. " BH Obama a couple weeks later

That's what I call change.

HogFather

Quote from: Tomcat on January 12, 2006, 09:19:27 am
I didn't hear Bo and Mike 'kissing up'. Though kissing up IS a part of recruiting. And yes, there's been some kissing up, but not by 'everyone'.

I even thought Mike was grilling him pretty hard at times.

HogFather

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on January 12, 2006, 09:49:52 am
I just replayed the entire interview at 2x speed backwards with a couple of saturation filters on top, and I clearler heard Mitch speak these words:

"What I really want to tell you guys is this: I'm not going to play college football. I'm going to go to sign with the Amsterdam NFL team so I can wear my knee brace in peace and do the things I love to do without wondering if my actions are going to cause riots, divorces, and mass chaos."

With you strong the force is.

duckman

Quote from: CiriusPorker on January 12, 2006, 09:54:33 am
Skip? Was HBH kicked off or banned? Why did he not stay around as HBH? Not to de-rail, but i think several on here enjoyed him on here.
He gets banned everywhere he posts at some point.....

CorningHog

I heard most of the interview and I came away even more impressed with the type of "person" Mitch Mustain is.  This kid has more poise than what anyone of us at his age could imagine.

He obviously is very articulate and intelligent and listen's very closely at what is asked, even when some of the questions are actually more like 2 or 3 questions asked as "one" question.  Mike & Bo asked him some straightforward stuff and it was pretty clear that he returned answers that were nearly always specific in nature.  Some kids will usually be vague, but he was very concise.

All fans should not read too much into his perceived "slips", although I will admit that listening to the interview, it sure sounds as though Arkansas is the team to beat.  He obviously likes Gus Malzahn and respects his coaching ability and the relationship between he and Gus is a lot closer than your average High School coach.

We as fans should ease back and enjoy the next few weeks and let Mitch get the information about Coach Wood this weekend, and after this Sunday is over and he makes his decision on the two visits to the "other" schools, you may find out that although his intentions are to visit these two others, maybe to "compare" that he may go ahead and commit and then take the trips with the "verbal" being public.  OR Mitch may wait and actually do the other two visits and wait until Jan 29th or thereafter to announce.

Just remember as fans that it is his decision.  He knows exactly what is going on.  He is aware of "everything" we as fans do about Arkansas and the recruiting season.  If he is coming to Arkansas, he knows his announcement and commitment could sway others, possibly Damian, so let the "future" leader of the Razorback offense have a little credit in knowing what his actions will cause.

He has been in charge of his actions for quite some time, and from the look of things, he has been doing a very good job!

Thanks Mitch for taking the time to dispel all the rumors!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

DukeOfPork

Quote from: duckman on January 12, 2006, 10:28:58 am
Skip? Was HBH kicked off or banned? Why did he not stay around as HBH? Not to de-rail, but i think several on here enjoyed him on here.

I tried to tell everyone that, but several posters continue to think that Skip is "cool".

CiriusPorker

Quote from: PorkPariah on January 12, 2006, 11:04:35 am
Quote from: duckman on January 12, 2006, 10:28:58 am

I tried to tell everyone that, but several posters continue to think that Skip is "cool".

I never thought he was "cool"...

I just didn't understand why he disappeared...his posts were always entertaining whether I agreed or not.

DukeOfPork

January 12, 2006, 11:06:36 am #34 Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 11:08:21 am by PorkPariah
Quote from: WxHog on January 12, 2006, 09:19:31 am

....Maybe I am being optimistic and reading too much into it, but I get the feeling that he knows something about Damian that he is hiding. It sounded like he had a grin on his face and chuckled a bit when he stated that I don't see Damian that much.....

This is classic.  It "sounded" like he had a grin on his face.

I think we are now officially reading too much into this interview.  Hilarious!....

GorillaJMonsoon

I decided to put my divorce on hold until after signing day. 

Bucksnort

Quote from: HogFather on January 12, 2006, 10:07:55 am
Quote from: Tomcat on January 12, 2006, 09:19:27 am
I didn't hear Bo and Mike 'kissing up'. Though kissing up IS a part of recruiting. And yes, there's been some kissing up, but not by 'everyone'.

I even thought Mike was grilling him pretty hard at times.
I haven't heard it yet.  You're kidding me, you mean Mike actually got a meaningful question in edgewise with Bo there? I much prefer PR with more Mike and much, much less Bo.  For that matter no Bo would be outstanding.

preunions

My new image there to the left is that of Monica- the hawg I sent $15 to Chuck Barrett to buy... for Tusk to copulate with... apparently her kids are lunatics.

tulsahog36

I think signing day should be a declared a state holiday if Mitch signs with Arkansas

preunions

He already has a city holiday in Springdale... I wonder what that is like... I wonder if SHS will retire OUR number (16).

PigPusher

Did Mitch say he was going to visit two other schools or did he say he was going to visit two schools?  IF he said the later then we are one of the two probably.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

preunions

he already knows about us... two other schools.

ColinRagan

PREUNIONS?  Why aren't you posting as RussellClaude?  You gonna be at the payout this weekend?

preunions

I need to get that changed, ColinRagan- I didn't know about the payout- haven't checked the site.... what happened to several of the posts from this thread? they disappeared?

SwineOnTheLine

if you remember right he promised he would start cheering for another team when his "revelation" ended up being un-true.i was wondering what took him so long to come crawling back,ass first.

formerhawg

Mitch,
Enjoyed hearing your interview today. I am a former Razorback and I can relate to what you are going through. I was recruited by many different schools and the decision is tough. I definitely think you should take advantage of the visits because it is fun to be treated like royalty for a weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed it but am also 100% happy that I decided to become a Razorback. It was the team I grew up cheering for and loved in my heart, and I do not have any regrets of going to the U of A. It is a very special place and nothing can beat having the HOGS CALLED for you. Go with your heart on this one. I hope to see you doning the Red and White next year, but if don't, good luck to wherever you go. Just believe me when I say that the U of A is a great school, gives you all the opportunities other universities do, and is going to be a great program again. You just have to follow your heart and go where you will be the happiest.

hawkeyefan17

January 12, 2006, 04:44:25 pm #47 Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 04:46:42 pm by hawkeyefan17
I heard the entire interview. First I want to reiterate something I posted last night, it is very commendable of Mitch that he decided to be a guest on Press Row, regardless of how his appearance on the show actually came about, Mitch does not owe anyone any explanation of his comments and he certainly did not need to give any indication of how he feels about certain issues regarding his recruiting.

I thought it was a great interview on a lot of levels. At times he came across as just your average kid still in high school and at times he sounded very well schooled in the interview process. How much interviewing he has actually done I don't know but to me he sounded extremely poised at times.

To me, looking at this from an outsiders perspective, the fact that this interview even took place is remarkable. Being an Iowa Hawkeye fan, in all my life, I have never heard an interview of a of perspective Hawkeye recruit, in the middle of the recruiting process.

In my opinion, Mitch stepped up to the plate when he did not have to. This interview, I believe, shows how much respect Mitch has for this state, this program and its fans.

I don't know much about recruiting, I follow it (Iowa and Arkansas specifically) sometimes look at a list of commitments to a school and I just see names, I don't get to hear about the visit the coaches had with the player, I don't get to hear about how the particular kid and how he felt during his recruitment. This interview provided me a small window into the recruitment of a player and made me realize that sometimes the kid being recruited gets hurt and is confused just as much, if not more so, than anyone else involved in the process (coaches and fans)

This interview is yet another illustration of how great Hog fans have it, you should be thankful because speaking as a fan of another team, information outlets (such as this board) and access (such as getting to hear an interivew with a recruit during his recruitment) can be hard to come by and should be appreicated when fans do get to have a window into their favorite program.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Just finished listening to the archived interview..btw, THANK YOU HSV, for those of us that couldn't listen this morning...and all
the other times..

First of all, I AM NOT A BUTT KISSER.  You can ask anyone who knows me.  That said.....

I am SO impressed.  This kid sounds like an mature adult.  Yet he doesn't take himself too seriously, like so many guys in his position do.  He will be a GREAT leader at the college level.  His mom did a great job raising him.

I hope you honor the Hogs with your commitment Mitch.  We will ALWAYS be thankful if you come here.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 12, 2006, 04:52:31 pm
Just finished listening to the archived interview..btw, THANK YOU HSV, for those of us that couldn't listen this morning...and all
the other times..

First of all, I AM NOT A BUTT KISSER. You can ask anyone who knows me. That said.....

I am SO impressed. This kid sounds like an mature adult. Yet he doesn't take himself too seriously, like so many guys in his position do. He will be a GREAT leader at the college level. His mom did a great job raising him.

I hope you honor the Hogs with your commitment Mitch. We will ALWAYS be thankful if you come here.

Great post notshavin.

I agree as well.  I am not here to kiss ass, but the kid has it together.  I hope we end up being the choice on Feb 1st, but if not, i will still root for him.  He is a born winner, and will win.  Gonna be fun to say, "Yea i remember when that kid was 17 years old, driving around with an Arkansas  Razorback plate on the front of his truck."