Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boston Globe: ESPN Told ACC Who to Take....

Started by NWASooner, October 10, 2011, 08:22:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NWASooner

At some point some legitimate news organization is going to do an expose on ESPN's influence in sports:

QuoteThe ACC just signed a new deal with ESPN that will increase the revenue for each school to approximately $13 million. With the addition of Pittsburgh and Syracuse, said DeFilippo, another significant increase will come.

"We always keep our television partners close to us,'' he said. "You don't get extra money for basketball. It's 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.''

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/articles/2011/10/09/power_move_by_acc/?page=full

Makes you wonder why the OU/Pac-12 deal fell apart and why the Missouri deal seems to be dragging, doesn't it?

NaturalStateReb

ESPN has to be credited for making lots of college football available each Saturday.

But, as a reporting organization, it's a bit like cancer:  everyone should oppose it and actively look for a cure.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

rzrbackrob

ESPN news reporting is just a propaganda machine at this point.

They are just a prolonged info commercial.
Good is the enemy of great

HogNuttz

Quote from: NWASooner on October 10, 2011, 08:22:11 pm
At some point some legitimate news organization is going to do an expose on ESPN's influence in sports:

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/articles/2011/10/09/power_move_by_acc/?page=full

Makes you wonder why the OU/Pac-12 deal fell apart and why the Missouri deal seems to be dragging, doesn't it?

You mean the OU&Texas/Pac-12 deal?
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

HF#1

What does this have to do with the Razorbacks?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Bubba's Bruisers

At some point some legitimate news organization

There is no such thing.  They all have an agenda...sports or otherwise. 

Oops, wrong forum.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PorkerOinker

OU never had a say in the PAC 12 deal, if Texas wasn't going the PAC 12 wasn't taking OU bottom line.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Hogdude72

October 11, 2011, 12:56:30 pm #7 Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:15:46 pm by Hogdude72

Frankly I'm not sure whether/if anyone should be surprised if true. We all know that the major networks have become the "tail that wags the dog" when it comes to much of what is going on in college football these days. Unfortunately the old "money talks" idea is alive and well.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hogfan#1 on October 10, 2011, 09:18:08 pm
What does this have to do with the Razorbacks?

On No..! Obi Wan is an ESPN mole..!!  Say it ain't so!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hornkiller

The ACC is far behind the B1G, Pac-12 and SEC is the football pecking order. Plus the ACC wants to preserve their relationship with the world wide leader for pimping their basketball conference. They didn't add the Cuse because of their home games at the Carrier Dome or Jim Brown's legacy.

ESPN can pull their leverage with the ACC. Not so much the SEC, B1G and Pac-12. The Pac-12 and B1G already have large stakes invested by Fox Sports and the SEC's new TV contract is going to be a bidding war like we've never seen.