Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Breaking ....... Texas A&M is the next school to join SEC according to Slive

Started by Lanny, September 12, 2011, 06:17:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

regi

If he is not looking for number 14, than I am pissed. The East is down and stays put, the West is loaded and we add the Aggies? Come on commish. Truth is the 14th is being worked out now.

Lanny

Al Bundy

56Hog

SEC Commissioner Mike Slive, during a speaking engagement Monday night in Birmingham, Ala., is talking about a variety of topics concerning the Southeastern Conference.  One of those topics is conference alignment.  Here are those comments:

"In the 78 year history of the SEC, the conference had accepted the membership applications of only two institutions—Arkansas and South Carolina. Texas A&M is now the third. We remain optimistic that Texas A&M will be a member of the SEC and have started to look  at schedules for 2012-13 involving 13 teams.

"As I said over the past year or so, the SEC has had no particular interest in expansion. We were, and are, happy with 12 teams. If Texas A&M's President, Dr. Bowen Loftin had not called me in late July, we had no plans to explore adding an institution.

"However, when President Loftin called we became interested.  Texas A&M is an outstanding academic institution with an exceptional athletic program, passionate fans and wonderful traditions.  While the SEC wasn't thinking about expansion, it was impossible not to be interested in Texas A&M.  As you can see from the unanimous vote of our twelve Presidents/Chancellors, we would very much like to have Texas A&M as a member of our conference.

"When Texas A&M joins our conference, we don't have immediate plans for a 14th member.  We aren't thinking in terms of numbers.  We think about the strength of the SEC and the attractiveness of Texas A&M as an institution."

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/227939/commisioner-slive-talks-conference-alignment.aspx
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

Tim Harris

Quote from: regi on September 12, 2011, 06:21:45 pm
If he is not looking for number 14, than I am pissed. The East is down and stays put, the West is loaded and we add the Aggies? Come on commish. Truth is the 14th is being worked out now.

We all know the 14th is being worked on but he isn't going to say they are looking just like we weren't going to add anyone all the way up until they voted on it and said we were.

NWASooner

Quote"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it."

regi

Quote from: Lanny on September 12, 2011, 06:25:37 pm
West Va. is the 14th, if I was a betting type of individual

I agree, their AD was very coy, but complimentery of the SEC and their Play by Play guy acted like, no way it was going to happen. Tells me it is close. Morgantown is not that far from Lexington, Knoxville or nashville.

SpareRib

Finally Slive has announced as expected.  Big claps for the Aggies!

Can't wait to see who the next team they weren't looking for will be.   8)
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

56Hog

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

NWASooner

3kgthog

It's not a done deal. Read his statement. He said he "remains optimistic" that aTm will be a member of the SEC. He didn't say they are a member.

NWASooner

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 12, 2011, 06:35:43 pm
It's not a done deal. Read his statement. He said he "remains optimistic" that aTm will be a member of the SEC. He didn't say they are a member.

"The hard part about playing chicken is knowin' when to flinch.."

56Hog

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 12, 2011, 06:35:43 pm

What Slive said is that they will act as though A&M will be a member in 2012.  He also sent a crystal clear message that the door is open for other schools to apply.

Puts BU in a bind as they can't sue for an act not yet committed and it opens the floodgates for everyone to act.  If OU doesn't pull the trigger, MU very well may do so at their board meeting tonight.

Lanny

Al Bundy

HF#1

You might as well say done deal for #14 as well.  Just a matter of identifying the school.  I don't see how a 13 team conference would work.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HF#1

Quote from: PorkOpine on September 12, 2011, 07:08:15 pm
Yep.  If Slive had said #14 was in the bag all hell would have broken loose.  You don't tell somebody you're going to hit them, you just do it.

I'd like to know for sure who is on the shortlist.  I mean I somewhat trust what Douglas says but it'd be nice to be a fly on the wall in Slive's office.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

56Hog

Quote from: hogfan#1 on September 12, 2011, 07:20:11 pm
I'd like to know for sure who is on the shortlist.  I mean I somewhat trust what Douglas says but it'd be nice to be a fly on the wall in Slive's office.

Yup, it's pure coincidence Slive spoke exactly 1 hour before the MU board met in secret session.

Hawghiggs

I hope its Missouri instead of West Virginia.  Mizzou would be a much better addition.

TrojanHog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 12, 2011, 07:27:35 pm
I hope its Missouri instead of West Virginia.  Mizzou would be a much better addition.

Why would you want both of the additions to be new competitors for us to recruit against? Missouri in the SEC scares me quite a bit. I'd much prefer west Virginia to adding another direct challenge to us.

Doug

Even if Missouri were to be the 14th team (they're 15th), they still wouldn't be able to come until 2013-14. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

NWASooner

West Virginia would be awful.  You found the one state smaller and poorer than Arkansas with very little media presence.

Take Missouri.  It's also better for Arkansas.

Andrew Hogfan

WPS!!!

TNRazorbacker

Would love to see either VA Tech or W VA join. Missouri would be another good grab and then we could send Bama and the Barners east.

56Hog

Quote from: NWASooner on September 12, 2011, 07:32:21 pm
West Virginia would be awful.  You found the one state smaller and poorer than Arkansas with very little media presence.

Douglas may be right.  I expect both eventually one way or another.  If the Big East folds first WVU does figure to be #14.  And both will be better for joining the SEC.  That is the way it works.

Doug

NWASooner, you need to get off your horse.  It's not tall enough for you to see the long term picture.

WVA brings the WVA, VA, DC and PA TV markets.  And they've got a better chance of being let out of their Big East agreements than Mizzou out of its Big 12 agreement... with no strings attached.

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

rzrbackrob

What is the hold up. I thought Slive could get to 16 teams in 15 min.
I guess he underestimated the level of dysfunction and desperation in the Big 12 - 2.
Good is the enemy of great

Ugly Uncle

They have a following all the way up to Pittsburg (70 miles or so from Morgantown), Baltimore, DC and lots of Maryland.

Morgantown will remind you of Fayetteville.  The fans are passionate like SEC fans.

Mizzou offers nothing really. 
Retired Radio Host

Bubba's Bruisers

Assuming super conferences are inevitable, tell us...what 4 programs would you recommend the SEC add and why?  You have all the answers, so answer that.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

HF#1

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 12, 2011, 07:41:23 pm

I've always felt this way.  I just don't get Mizzou.  They have had some good years but in my mind anyone from the Big12 north waters down the league.

Shag66

josh_sec33

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 12, 2011, 07:41:23 pm
They have a following all the way up to Pittsburg (70 miles or so from Morgantown), Baltimore, DC and lots of Maryland.

Morgantown will remind you of Fayetteville.  The fans are passionate like SEC fans.

I don't remember yearly couch burnings in Fayetteville though.

:)

Mizzou doesn't offer anything. except arrogance.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

HF#1

Quote from: Shag66 on September 12, 2011, 07:44:15 pm
I disagree Ched.  Mizzou would be a great addition to the West. 

If you are going to get a Big12 North team, I'm much rather have Kansas.  At least they have a storied basketball program.  Mizzou brings Frank Haith and Gary Pinkel.  Please.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: josh_sec33 on September 12, 2011, 07:44:40 pm
I don't remember yearly couch burnings in Fayetteville though.

:)

Mizzou doesn't offer anything. except arrogance.

Supposedly, MO offers major TV markets.  Of course, Mizzou athletics probably ranks 4th in popularity in MO behind the Chiefs, Cardinals, and Rams.  Heck, I'll bet there are as many Illinois fans as Mizzou fans in St. Louis.

NWASooner

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Douglas on September 12, 2011, 07:37:37 pm
NWASooner, you need to get off your horse.  It's not tall enough for you to see the long term picture.

WVA brings the WVA, VA, DC and PA TV markets.  And they've got a better chance of being let out of their Big East agreements than Mizzou out of its Big 12 agreement... with no strings attached.

WV does not bring those markets to the SEC.  I'll agree that they can get out of the Big East. But Mizzou is an AAU member and conference expansion is more than just a football program.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Tomhog™ on September 12, 2011, 07:51:35 pm
If they add A&M and Mizzou, Bama and Burn should move East. It'll make that division good again.

You mean Bama OR Burn.  Can't be both.

HF#1

Quote from: Tomhog™ on September 12, 2011, 07:51:35 pm
If they add A&M and Mizzou, Bama and Burn should move East. It'll make that division good again.

And the west will be left to Arkansas and LSU to fight over.  I will say though our games against Bama are getting better and better every year Petrino is here.  If all things stay the same I'd say in a few years it would be a marquee rivalry game.  It's not that far away from that now.  If they move to the east I will miss playing them every year.

Catfish Joe

I think we'll take both just to be safe ;)

Shouldn't you be catching a flight for Corvalis?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

Shag66

Quote from: Catfish Joe on September 12, 2011, 07:56:32 pm
I think we'll take both just to be safe ;)

Shouldn't you be catching a flight for Corvalis?

LOL  Gonna be a lot of fun in Norman with those 9 pm kickoffs! 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Shag66 on September 12, 2011, 07:57:49 pm
LOL  Gonna be a lot of fun in Norman with those 9 pm kickoffs! 

Hey, didn't you know?  All of this action is playing right into OU's hands.  In fact, OU has been the real puppet master in all of this just so they could get exactly what they wanted...a ticket to the PACxx.  I'll bet they actually manipulated A&M into defecting for the SEC to set it all in motion.  As the cherry on top, OU also knew Baylor would sue A&M and the SEC in the process.  Brilliant!  Those fellers in Norman are absolutely brilliant.

NWASooner

Quote from: Douglas on September 12, 2011, 07:37:37 pm

Are you really saying that West Virginia brings the PA market over Penn State?  Really?

They don't bring the DC market, either.  That's an NFL market that doesn't care much about college football.  (The entire Northeast is like that.)

You're giving West Virginia way too much credit here.  They barely bring 50,000 to their games.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Lanny on September 12, 2011, 06:17:13 pm
Click here

Oh yeah, we have no interest in expanding. Who is he kidding? You expand or you are operating behind the power curve. That is not like the SEC. This is only the first step towards a 16 team conference. May not be tomorrow, but I bet it is before any other team gets to 16 teams. We want to pick from those that are the best fit for our conference without having to pick from leftovers. Things will ramp up now.
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: NWASooner on September 12, 2011, 08:09:39 pm
Are you really saying that West Virginia brings the PA market over Penn State?  Really?

They don't bring the DC market, either.  That's an NFL market that doesn't care much about college football.  (The entire Northeast is like that.)

You're giving West Virginia way too much credit here.  They barely bring 50,000 to their games.

So are you going to answer my question?

HF#1

They averaged 56,000 last season.

NaturalStateReb

After the mess from Waco wanting a Baylout, Missouri isn't coming unless the Big 12 folds.  WVA is 14, but Mizzou might be 15.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

dhornjr1

Quote from: NolanForAD on September 12, 2011, 07:46:25 pm
"Yeah, well, I might have just given him the measurements of Miss September."

It's "Playmate of the Month" not Miss September. C'mon Nolan.:-)

Anyway...

Next time Jack, put it in a memo.

NWASooner

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 12, 2011, 08:12:44 pm
So are you going to answer my question?

Which is what, that OU manipulated the situation from the beginning?  They didn't but they knew the situation might shake out to be something they could take advantage of.

I'll you one thing, if OU goes to the Pac-12, it'll be handled much differently than the A&M/SEC situation.  A&M handled that in a very amateur fashion.

MuskogeeHogFan

#28 in football revenues and they carry a 4.70 Nielsen share. Regardless of what you assert, that ain't bad.
Go Hogs Go!