Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Big 12 / SEC / ACC / Big East Shakeup is about to begin...

Started by Doug, September 11, 2011, 10:43:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

Let me preface this by saying that NOTHING is confirmed.  While I have multiple sources confirming the BYU, WVA and TAMU deals, the rest is being shared as an FYI but expected to be the end results type situation.

Quote from: GridironHistory.comLook for an EXTREMELY busy week in the CFB world this week, though.

Big 12 - Expect an announcement on Monday or Tuesday that BYU and POSSIBLY...

Read the rest of this at http://gridironhistory.com

FAIR WARNING: If you get stupid in this thread, I reserve the right to remove your post.  Please, think your replies out intelligently. :)  (This is the ONLY reason why my other threads got moved to other forums).

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

HF#1

That's ambitious.  Why would the Big12 want Memphis?  Cinci getting left out seems odd.  They are a much better all around program than Memphis or Rutgers.  I'd think they would get an invite from a bigger conference. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Doug

Not every school wants to jump to a higher level.  I think Cincy will be jsut fine.  I discounted Memphis pretty heavily until I had two separate unconnected sources (both with very strong ties to two different Big 12 schools) BOTH mention Memphis.

I'm still pretty much discounting it, HOWEVER, it's at least piqued my attention.  As I told one of my sources, I'd expect SMU to get the invite first over Memphis.
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

HF#1

Quote from: Douglas on September 11, 2011, 10:50:23 pm
Not every school wants to jump to a higher level.  I think Cincy will be jsut fine.  I discounted Memphis pretty heavily until I had two separate unconnected sources (both with very strong ties to two different Big 12 schools) BOTH mention Memphis.

I'm still pretty much discounting it, HOWEVER, it's at least piqued my attention.  As I told one of my sources, I'd expect SMU to get the invite first over Memphis.

Understood but still.  They compete at a high level in Basketball and have been decent in Football.  Not a bad market considering what might be available after the SEC does their thing.  It will be interesting.  That much is certain.  Thanks for the inside info Doug.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

RazorBassin

Quote from: NolanForAD on September 11, 2011, 10:50:53 pm
That's good stuff.  If its Mizzou and Fla State, then who is no. 16 going to be?

He said WVU is 14 and Mizzou and FSU both get invites.

Doug

Quote from: NolanForADThat's good stuff.  If its Mizzou and Fla State, then who is no. 16 going to be?
Mizzou is #15, FSU is #16.  #14 was named by me last week (twice), once in the post tonight.  #14 is WVA.
--Doug

Hornkiller

So according to this guy the ACC, not the B1G or Pac-12 or SEC is the first 16 team AQ conference. I have a hard time buying this. The ACC has been quiet and not the quiet as a fox type of quest during all this.  And the B1G just adding 1 team to 13? And UConn? I think the B1G wants something bigger then UConn.

Only the SEC adding A&M and West Virginia makes sense. Louisville going to the Big XII? I could see the Big XII adding BYU to be the Big XII-II-1+1 but Memphis has a never will be a football school. If the Big East is really going to impload you would think TCU would be high on the radar for them. TCU and BYU in the South, move OU and OSU to the North and then add Louisville for XII? I've heard stranger things and let's face it it's not like the Big XII can be picky.

Doug

No... the SEC will be the first one to start the process of being a Super Conference with the addition of TAMU.  If you look a bit further down my post, you'll see that I indicated that I expect the landscape to change for the 2014-15 seasons. :)

Quote from: Hornkillerlet's face it it's not like the Big XII can be picky.
You illustrated the primary reasoning behind this move... and the fact that Texas/OU like being the big dogs of the yard.
--Doug

Jdub

What happens to TCU?

Didn't they join the Big East this year?

Doug

Next year, I believe.  And they're gonna have to either stay where they're at or go back to C-USA or back to WAC.  I really can't see them joining the Big 12.
--Doug

PigDaddyKane

So who is the pac 12 expected to invite?  Texas, OU, OSU and TT?
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

PigDaddyKane

I think Cincy would be better for the big12 than memphis.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

Buck Brewer

Memphis desperately wants in a BCS, Memphis desperately wants to be reunited with Louisville. Rumor is that Memphis is about to fire AD, FB Coach, talk of going after Rich Rodriguez.  Memphis brings nothing but it's basketball program but it's a city considered SEC country. A small bit of showmanship there.

Hogz87

Quote from: PigDaddyKane on September 11, 2011, 11:25:07 pm
So who is the pac 12 expected to invite?  Texas, OU, OSU and TT?

From what I read if the Big 12 invites all the teams it mentions, then the Big 12 is planning on staying put with what they have plus teams like Louisville, BYU, and maybe Memphis.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Wow.. That's a ton o' rumor.. Do you have time for anything else?  J/K
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Doug

Quote from: 4windshawgWow.. That's a ton o' rumor.. Do you have time for anything else?  J/K
I know you were kidding with the question, but the simple fact of the matter is that gathering all of this info (6 different people, no ties to one another, no cross ties between schools) has been insane.  I'm only getting bits and pieces, however, those bits and pieces are being cross referenced to other bits and pieces coming in.  It paints the bigger picture, which is what I posted.

This ate up 3 days of usable time last week, and it looks like it's gonna eat up a couple more.  Just trying to nail down accurate information for everyone. :)
--Doug

TrojanHog

Hogz87

It does say the Pac-12 will also expand to 16 teams but I'm gathering that teams like Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State would stay put if they can keep the Big 12 together.  So, if that's the case, who would be the four new teams to go to the Pac-12?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Douglas on September 11, 2011, 11:39:30 pm
This ate up 3 days of usable time last week, and it looks like it's gonna eat up a couple more.  Just trying to nail down accurate information for everyone. :)

Go get'em Douglas..! I'm enjoying what you are finding so far. It appears to be the most accurate thing on the subject on the interwebs... +1
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: TrojanHog on September 11, 2011, 11:46:42 pm
Memphis is a brilliant move by the Big 12.

Are you being sarcastic, or do you think the exposure in the SEC back door is helpful?

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: Douglas on September 11, 2011, 10:43:37 pm
FAIR WARNING: If you get stupid in this thread, I reserve the right to remove your post.  Please, think your replies out intelligently. :)  (This is the ONLY reason why my other threads got moved to other forums).

Douglass there are far to many posters on Hogville that only read the first line of a post, then fly off the handle and start calling other posters names. They don't know to discuss anything.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Doug

You guys are banking on OU and OSU staying in the Big 12.  As I said, this is only a band-aid solution.  The only school coming into the Big 12 that will come out ahead of all of this is BYU.

Smart money says the Big 12 does NOT survive the move to Super Conferences in 2014-15.  Too many signs pointing to the fact that Texas will go to the B1G (to be named Big 16 or something along those lines) in the Great Shakeup. :)

What I do expect is that TTU and OSU will actually stay together in the same conference, and it may happen sooner, rather than later.

Those of you that are saying that OSU won't survive without OU being in the same conference are incorrect.  There's a conference that is absolutely PINING for both OSU and TTU where they will be top tier schools. :)

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOGNo mention of the school in Northern Indiana!
Eyes are cross-eyed right now.  Help me out with which scool you're talking about, please? :)

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOGDouglass there are far to many posters on Hogville that only read the first line of a post, then fly off the handle and start calling other posters names. They don't know to discuss anything.
That's why I also put the caveat (though not that specific one, haha) at the beginning of my post.
--Doug

Catfish Joe

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

redeye

I can definitely see West Virginia being the 14th team, but I'm surprised to hear about an invite to FSU. I find their reasons stupid, but I thought Florida, Alabama and Auburn were all against inviting FSU for recruiting reasons? Just going to 16 teams so quickly would surprise me some.

Btw, thanks!

al2305

Quote from: Douglas on September 11, 2011, 11:39:30 pm
I know you were kidding with the question, but the simple fact of the matter is that gathering all of this info (6 different people, no ties to one another, no cross ties between schools) has been insane.  I'm only getting bits and pieces, however, those bits and pieces are being cross referenced to other bits and pieces coming in.  It paints the bigger picture, which is what I posted.

Great stuff, really enjoy the info, thx for all the time u put in.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Hogz87 on September 11, 2011, 11:46:48 pm
It does say the Pac-12 will also expand to 16 teams but I'm gathering that teams like Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State would stay put if they can keep the Big 12 together.  So, if that's the case, who would be the four new teams to go to the Pac-12?
I always wondered why my 2nd team (Fresno St.) has never been invited.  they are good for a few games against the big dogs each year, but unfortunately have the NumbNutt syndrome and drop a couple they shouldn't.

And with recent developments about 24 players being involved in a EBT scandal, they may soon disappear from any positive media attention.

PP

56Hog

Douglas predictions are believable and somewhat supported by air traffic last few days.  There was a big ACC fly-in in Atlanta last week and a steady stream of flights to and from ATL (Cobb Co.) to and from SEC sites.  At the same time there have been a steady flow of B12 flights in and out of Sugar Land (Houston) and back and forth between Cobb and Sugarland.   Lots of flight activity in and out of Tallahassee.  Lots of flights in and out of Drake to OU, KSU, KU airfields.  Memphis, who knows as it is hard to pick out of the noise.

If the B12 does issue any invite it makes sense they try for at least two or three non-AQ teams with the promise those teams and BU/ISU get carried over into the superconferences when the B12 dissolves.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SherlockHog on September 11, 2011, 11:29:29 pm
Memphis desperately wants in a BCS, Memphis desperately wants to be reunited with Louisville. Rumor is that Memphis is about to fire AD, FB Coach, talk of going after Rich Rodriguez.  Memphis brings nothing but it's basketball program but it's a city considered SEC country. A small bit of showmanship there.

They can't afford him UNLESS Fred pays his salary.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

56Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 12, 2011, 06:48:25 am
FIFY

Which is why Memphis is believable.  Deloss settles network terms with Boren and tells Bebee to go and find enough non-AQ teams to withstand the loss of A&M and MU.  Memphis is so desperate they would buy a ticket on the Titanic post-iceberg anyway.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

grayhawg

Quote from: 56Hog on September 12, 2011, 06:37:46 am
Douglas predictions are believable and somewhat supported by air traffic last few days.  There was a big ACC fly-in in Atlanta last week and a steady stream of flights to and from ATL (Cobb Co.) to and from SEC sites.  At the same time there have been a steady flow of B12 flights in and out of Sugar Land (Houston) and back and forth between Cobb and Sugarland.   Lots of flight activity in and out of Tallahassee.  Lots of flights in and out of Drake to OU, KSU, KU airfields.  Memphis, who knows as it is hard to pick out of the noise.

If the B12 does issue any invite it makes sense they try for at least two or three non-AQ teams with the promise those teams and BU/ISU get carried over into the superconferences when the B12 dissolves.
Drake field in Fayetteville, OU, KU and KSU?
If so that seems strange.

Hog Milanese

Louisville just lost to FIU at home, and now they're going to join the Big 12?

56Hog

Quote from: grayhawg on September 12, 2011, 06:56:08 am
Drake field in Fayetteville, OU, KU and KSU?
If so that seems strange.

Drake is just typical.  A lot of site to site activity at ll the small airports around AQ schools.  I expect Long and other ADs are assisting Slive and the commisioners in pulling all this together.

online-with-swine

As long as Arkansas stays in the SEC, I will be OK with whatever shakes out........except if Texass is in the same conference as us.

Tim Harris

I hope you are right and things start falling in to place this week.  This is almost as bad as a coaching search.

Hoggish1

Douglas, This all makes sense.  FSU will stay in the ACC and the ACC will collect the teams you mention. TAMU get the all clear. WVU will join the SEC as will Mizzou. 

Who will the 16th team be?  Likely VA Tech, not FSU.  That puts the SEC in 13 states when they take TAMU, WVU, MIZZOU and VA TECH.  The SEC footprint is far greater than any other conference, if this all goes down.

grayhawg

Quote from: 56Hog on September 12, 2011, 07:04:17 am
Drake is just typical.  A lot of site to site activity at ll the small airports around AQ schools.  I expect Long and other ADs are assisting Slive and the commisioners in pulling all this together.
Thanks

Hawghiggs

This is not going to happen. Just like West Virginia being the 14th program. Slive wants to increase the academics side of the SEC. West Virginia does not do this.

BR

This is a great way to get traffic for a new web site. Start a rumor, but you have to go to www. to see what is going on. Bring some new members to it.

Some of what Doug has stated could happen, I'll just wait to see what plays out this week. Changes are a coming to College football.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 12, 2011, 07:10:12 am
Douglas, This all makes sense.  FSU will stay in the ACC and the ACC will collect the teams you mention. TAMU get the all clear. WVU will join the SEC as will Mizzou. 

As I have posted before - The SEC wants the ACC to stay stable. A destablized ACC gives the Big Ten too many expansion opportunities - so I say Va Tech is a choice of last resort- probably would take Kansas before an ACC member.

Who will the 16th team be?  Likely VA Tech, not FSU.  That puts the SEC in 13 states when they take TAMU, WVU, MIZZOU and VA TECH.  The SEC footprint is far greater than any other conference, if this all goes down.

Catfish Joe

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on September 12, 2011, 07:50:13 am
This is a great way to get traffic for a new web site. Start a rumor, but you have to go to www. to see what is going on. Bring some new members to it.

Some of what Doug has stated could happen, I'll just wait to see what plays out this week. Changes are a coming to College football.

It doesn't cost anything... just click and read.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

Mike_e

Memphis to the big whatever would be good for the whatever.  Smallish but major market still.  Good recruiting in the area and there is money here it's just that the people who have it aren't known for throwing it away.  If a viable plan is presented the money will come.  This would really suck for ole miss though.

As to the additions you mentioned for the SEC it seems like a good group for what we need, not a home run there except A&M but a couple of doubles and a triple still score two more.

It's hard to remember that this round of expansion is about positioning for future markets and not about football itself.  The old way of thinking just messes you up.  ;)
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Douglas on September 11, 2011, 10:43:37 pm
Let me preface this by saying that NOTHING is confirmed.  While I have multiple sources confirming the BYU, WVA and TAMU deals, the rest is being shared as an FYI but expected to be the end results type situation.

Read the rest of this at http://gridironhistory.com

I am hearing the same rummblings down here in TX.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

31to6

Quote from: TrojanHog on September 11, 2011, 11:46:42 pm
Memphis is a brilliant move by the Big 12.
LOL. Have you seen them play football? Does a Big-12 invite mean they become a "quality OOC foe" instead of a rent-a-win?

If Tiger HS goes to the Big-12 it is nothing but evidence that the conference is dying.

beantownhog

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on September 12, 2011, 07:50:13 am

I've been on a dozen web sites searching for anything and everything regarding the so-called expansion; glad to discover another one!  If my insatiable appetite for football gossip generates traffic for Douglas, even better!

BTW, thank you Douglas for the hard work, and for sharing!
If your tax refund equals your taxes paid in, you don't pay taxes.

online-with-swine

The FSU to SEC part is confusing to me.  There for a while we were being told that the SEC wouldn't take any teams from where they already have a footprint.  Also, aren't Slive and the ACC commish good friends and supposedly Slive has told him we won't take teams from him?  And, I thought Florida etc would block FSU, Clemson and GTech.

That is three strikes against FSU right there.  Unless, Florida doesn't really care and Slive and the ACC commish have already divied up the East coast amongst themselves.

online-with-swine

According to a poster in tigerdroppings, Chip Brown let it be known that OU's BOR will vote on move to PAC later this month.  Consider the source so take it FWIW.

Lysol

B1G does not sit aound during all of this. Its now or never for Notre Dame. And if they can't get Miz before the sec they go east, RU and SU. Probably gonna do that regardless.

I can see less than 50% of the orginal post actually happening

staffhog

did anyone ever answer the ND question??  surely they are smart enough not to go it alone.