Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[SOLID RUMOR] Expect next week to be HUGE for Big 12 & SEC

Started by Doug, September 09, 2011, 11:33:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

Oh, crap... not another one of these threads by little ol' me!

Word got out to me that the Big 12, IF they play their cards right this weekend and close out the item(s) they're working on, will have a major announcement regarding the Big 12 conference either Monday or Tuesday.

The Baylor Lawsuit and the TAMU to SEC will be secondary announcements.  Yes, you read that right.  Secondary.

The REAL player here is Texas A&M right now in terms of who has leverage in their advantage.

Next week is going to be insane for at least 2 conferences, perhaps even more.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

BloodRedHog

Dont leave me hanging Douglas....give me some details. Notre Dame, BYU, what?
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

kingofdequeen

so, we know unequivocally without reservation that we indeed have a rumor.

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Douglas on September 09, 2011, 11:33:11 pm

Word got out to me that the Big 12, IF they play their cards right this weekend and close out the item(s) they're working on, will have a major announcement regarding the Big 12 conference either Monday or Tuesday.

The Baylor Lawsuit and the TAMU to SEC will be secondary announcements.  Yes, you read that right.  Secondary.

The REAL player here is Texas A&M right now in terms of who has leverage in their advantage.

Your worst than the Hall High Senior Cheerleader at teasing when I was a Sophomore at P.A.!   8)

BUT I STILL LOVED IT!!!!!!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Catfish Joe

Yeah. Even if it is just a rumor right now, I'd still enjoy knowing what the rumor was.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

Tesslahog08

Man I hate realignment talks. So a and m coming to the sec. Byu going to the big 12 maybe another school. Who cares the sec was fine before they started adding schools like a and m. So far this addition of the aggies has made it more difficult to reach the championship. Lose/lose thus far for Arkansas.

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Catfish Joe

Quote from: Tesslahog08 on September 09, 2011, 11:42:27 pm
Man I hate realignment talks. So a and m coming to the sec. Byu going to the big 12 maybe another school. Who cares the sec was fine before they started adding schools like a and m. So far this addition of the aggies has made it more difficult to reach the championship. Lose/lose thus far for Arkansas.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

Tesslahog08

Quote from: Catfish Joe on September 09, 2011, 11:49:29 pm

Yes please. Its a tough enough conference as is. And we are just about to get there. We are so close to reaching the pinnacle of the sec. And that's about to change with the addition of teams that are at the same level as Arkansas.

Catfish Joe

Quote from: Tesslahog08 on September 09, 2011, 11:59:50 pm
Yes please. Its a tough enough conference as is. And we are just about to get there. We are so close to reaching the pinnacle of the sec. And that's about to change with the addition of teams that are at the same level as Arkansas.

Then that only means we must continue to improve. Never become complacent.

-John Heisman-

Tesslahog08

Quote from: Catfish Joe on September 10, 2011, 12:05:10 am
Then that only means we must continue to improve. Never become complacent.

Man it's taken us almost 20 years to get to this point where we can win the sec and go for the national championship in the same year. Now we want to add more teams only in the overloaded west division that can beat us on any given day. We are improving every year as a team. But nobody is perfect. For example Alabama last year.

56Hog

So all those planes flying between Sugar Land (Houston) and Cobb County (ATL) and from there to and from all the B12 and SEC sites aren't just sight seeing, huh?
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

Catfish Joe

Quote from: Tesslahog08 on September 10, 2011, 12:10:04 am
Man it's taken us almost 20 years to get to this point where we can win the sec and go for the national championship in the same year. Now we want to add more teams only in the overloaded west division that can beat us on any given day. We are improving every year as a team. But nobody is perfect. For example Alabama last year.

Haha, you only look at the very small picture. Prior to those 20 years Arkansas was a national power. It hasn't taken us 20 years to get on the same level as the other guys in the SEC. Its taken us 20 years to overcome a few terrible head coaching hires. Our heritage is to be a good football team, not one that struggles. To quote 'ole slick Willie

"The state of our RAZORBACK union is STRONG!!"

-John Heisman-

deucea729

Okay, you suckered me in, so I'll take a guess:

A&M stays in the Big XII with an equal revenue concession from UT and OU, plus Big XII announces addition of BYU and Boise St to return to 12 teams and bolster chances to form foundation of one of the superconferences.

Ha. I'm so not in the know.

urkillnmesmalls

Wheww...I'm just glad it's a solid rumor.  I hate those hollow rumors. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Lanny

Texas A&M will be in the SEC.  I don't care what happens to the Big 12
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Are you talking about the rumor where UT, aTm, OU and OSU come to the SEC and where the Mountain West merges with the other Big 12 schools except the ones that are joining the big 10... THAT RUMOR...??
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Tesslahog08

Quote from: Catfish Joe on September 10, 2011, 12:16:28 am
Haha, you only look at the very small picture. Prior to those 20 years Arkansas was a national power. It hasn't taken us 20 years to get on the same level as the other guys in the SEC. Its taken us 20 years to overcome a few terrible head coaching hires. Our heritage is to be a good football team, not one that struggles. To quote 'ole slick Willie

"The state of our RAZORBACK union is STRONG!!"

There's nothing small about 20 years. Doesn't matter who the coach is. For everyone in college right now or in their 20's they are accustomed to mediocre teams. That's why against mizzou st. the students rushed in to the stadium as soon as the gate lifted 2 hours to kickoff. We are right on the precipice to greatness in the sec. Now we want to fudge it all up by adding more. Why? If you are a fan if Arkansas.there is no reason to take the aggress especially if it's going to be unbalanced in the west.

deucea729

Quote from: 4windshawg on September 10, 2011, 12:28:38 am
Are you talking about the rumor where UT, aTm, OU and OSU come to the SEC and where the Mountain West merges with the other Big 12 schools except the ones that are joining the big 10... THAT RUMOR...??

Surely UT has too much pride for that. Bye-bye LHN if that happens.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

That Network and the money stays with the Big 12 schools... New Big Mountain Network
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

redeye

Quote from: deucea729 on September 10, 2011, 12:20:15 am

A&M stays in the Big XII with an equal revenue concession from UT and OU, plus Big XII announces addition of BYU and Boise St to return to 12 teams and bolster chances to form foundation of one of the superconferences.

Sounds good to me! The only problem is that Douglas did mention TAMU to the SEC being secondary to the Big 12 announcement, which seems to suggest that A&M will be coming to the SEC.

So what we basically have is a rumor of a big Big 12 announcement. I honestly have no idea what it could be. Maybe Texas is gonna join A&M in the SEC?

redeye

Quote from: Tesslahog08 on September 10, 2011, 12:31:21 am
There's nothing small about 20 years. Doesn't matter who the coach is. For everyone in college right now or in their 20's they are accustomed to mediocre teams. That's why against mizzou st. the students rushed in to the stadium as soon as the gate lifted 2 hours to kickoff. We are right on the precipice to greatness in the sec. Now we want to fudge it all up by adding more. Why? If you are a fan if Arkansas.there is no reason to take the aggress especially if it's going to be unbalanced in the west.

Adding A&M will only help Arkansas. I really don't understand why you'd think otherwise.

Catfish Joe

Quote from: Tesslahog08 on September 10, 2011, 12:31:21 am

Right, I agree that we are on the precipice of greatness. But it has only taken 3 years so far. I think the 90's/00's will go down as the "Dark Ages" in Razorback football. CBP has enlightened us as to what it can and should be.

-John Heisman-

Doug

Okay, a couple people have come close to what's going to be happening.  Yes, 1-2 teams will be added to the Big 12, and yes, Texas A&M will finally have cause to celebrate coming to a new conference (SEC).

It's a bit more detailed than that, though.  While the Big 12 will initially think they're saving their conference, all they did was add an IV to a dying body.  Some members of the B12 think that they'll be able to be a super conference themselves, however, we all know that's not the case.

The key thing, basically, is to just get the Big12 to survive long enough (in the B12 member school's eyes) until the fiscal start of the 2014-15 seasons, which is when the super conferences should be arriving. Some of the moves will surprise people then.

I digress, getting off topic here.
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

redeye

Quote from: 4windshawg on September 10, 2011, 12:28:38 am

Haven't heard that, but it wouldn't completely surprise me. Larry Scott did mention today that he doesn't want the Pac-12 to expand.

Tesslahog08

Quote from: redeye on September 10, 2011, 12:40:03 am
Adding A&M will only help Arkansas. I really don't understand why you'd think otherwise.

How? Really want to know. Don't give me the b.s. About recruiting. We play them now our recruiting will be unaffected if not worse.

urkillnmesmalls

Mack brown is going to be fired, and HDN is going to take the reigns at UT.  He sold Texas on installing the triple option, and has promised to bring them back to prominence within two years.  The turning point was when he told administration, "What we're gonna do, is, we're gonna put three guys back there.  We're gonna get back to three yards and a could of dust, forget the pass, and it's gonna be beautiful Chuck."   

Since we're speculating about rumors, I figured go big or go home.   :) 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

DukeOfPork

So, presser at 4?  Or are they throwing us a curveball and scheduling it for another time?

Catfish Joe

Quote from: Tesslahog08 on September 10, 2011, 12:42:51 am
How? Really want to know. Don't give me the b.s. About recruiting. We play them now our recruiting will be unaffected if not worse.

SEC news becomes more relevant in Texas. Arkansas becomes more relevant in Texas also. Now we'll be playing multiple games in Texas in multiple sports. All this means the Razorbacks are on TV in Texas more, on the radio more, and talked about by the citizens more.

-John Heisman-

redeye

Quote from: Tesslahog08 on September 10, 2011, 12:42:51 am

Yea, I do think it will help recruiting. The better question, though, is how's it gonna hurt? I'm against expansion, but I don't see how adding A&M will do anything but help us. So explain why I'm wrong, please.

Mrcoolhog55

I am like Lanny on this matter; who really cares for the Big 12 ?? I think if tam comes to the SEC the Big 9-10 whatever is done..  Let OU TEXAS OSU TT, go whereever they want , who cares.. As a Hog fan I am glad we are out of the old SWC days dominating by the Hogs ,and Texas.... I am also so glad Coach Frank Broyles had the foresight to get us in the SEC, greatest football conference in the USA... He ALSO DID A GREAT JOB As Head FOOTBALL Coach over the years; 1958-59 till 1976, and he did a great job at fundraising for the U of A , and getting the money needed to upgrade the facilities; such as DRRS, Bud Walton Arena , AND BAUM STADIUM................

Tesslahog08

September 10, 2011, 12:51:52 am #33 Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:53:43 am by Tesslahog08
Quote from: Catfish Joe on September 10, 2011, 12:47:21 am
SEC news becomes more relevant in Texas. Arkansas becomes more relevant in Texas also. Now we'll be playing multiple games in Texas in multiple sports. All this means the Razorbacks are on TV in Texas more, on the radio more, and talked about by the citizens more.

So the big name schools in the sec will benefit. Lsu, Alabama,even Florida, or Georgia. These teams will benefit the most. Arkansas is still fighting it's way up to be at the same level prestige wise as these other teams. If anyone this is great news for lsu.

Tesslahog08

Plus we play the aggies already and have dominated. So now by adding them the rest of the sec has gained access to the fertile recruiting grounds. Not good for Arkansas

Catfish Joe

Quote from: Tesslahog08 on September 10, 2011, 12:51:52 am
So thebig name schools in the sec will benefit. Lsu, Alabama,even Florida, or Georgia. These teams will benefit the most. Arkansa is still fighting it's way up to be at the same level prestige wise as these other teams. If anyone this is great news for lsu.

LSU will benefit, but so will Arkansas.

Arkansas gains a few steps maybe more no matter what.

Right now, I think everyone will agree that LSU, Fla, Ga, and Bama sign higher rated guys on the recruiting sites.

Of the guys you mentioned, most of their talent comes from inside their state. LSU is the only one that really recruits TX.

We're LSU's biggest competition for guys from Louisiana as it is. If they take a 5.9 guy from Tx over a 5.8 guy from La then that opens the door for us to him.

Some guys are on whole other level out of HS; DGB but I think the big division comes from coaching. They claim the best coaches can win with their players, but they could just as easily take the other team and beat their guys. I think we have this now in CBP.

-John Heisman-

rogers-hog

September 10, 2011, 01:08:32 am #36 Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:10:29 am by rogers-hog
Quote from: Catfish Joe on September 10, 2011, 01:00:56 am
LSU will benefit, but so will Arkansas.

Arkansas gains a few steps maybe more no matter what.

Right now, I think everyone will agree that LSU, Fla, Ga, and Bama sign higher rated guys on the recruiting sites.

Of the guys you mentioned, most of their talent comes from inside their state. LSU is the only one that really recruits TX.

We're LSU's biggest competition for guys from Louisiana as it is. If they take a 5.9 guy from Tx over a 5.8 guy from La then that opens the door for us to him.

Some guys are on whole other level out of HS; DGB but I think the big division comes from coaching. They claim the best coaches can win with their players, but they could just as easily take the other team and beat their guys. I think we have this now in CBP.
i agree,  until we are able to recruit with UF,UA, and LSU, and we're getting closer, they are not going to be fighting us for our recruits in TX, they are gonna be fighting whorns and boomers for theirs.

redeye

Quote from: Tesslahog08 on September 10, 2011, 12:51:52 am
So the big name schools in the sec will benefit. Lsu, Alabama,even Florida, or Georgia. These teams will benefit the most. Arkansas is still fighting it's way up to be at the same level prestige wise as these other teams. If anyone this is great news for lsu.

First off, LSU hasn't always been a big name school. I grew up watching them lose to A&M regularly. Younger fans seem to have trouble comprehending this. I'd say the same about Georgia and Florida's really only been big around the same amount of times as we've been down. My point is that there's not this huge gap that you seem to think there is. I know the media acts like there is, but they sensationalize everything.

Second, those teams probably will benefit more, but LSU is the only school that could, potentially, benefit more than Arkansas. And I doubt they will, because they already clean up  in Louisiana, among other reasons. If LSU DOES begin taking more players from Texas, then that leaves us with more options in Louisiana. Win-Win!

I read an interview with Jackie Sherrill, who coached at A&M and MSU, today. His opinion is that Arkansas will benefit more than anyone in recruiting, from the addition of A&M. I don't recall everyone who has said this, but I know there's been several. Personally, I didn't need anyone to tell me that, because I know it for a fact. I watched as we struggled to recruit Texas after leaving the SWC and then became amused as we began losing recruiting battles to Big-8 teams that we never lost to before.

This is really a cut and dry issue, but someone, somewhere, has misled a lot of people on this board into thinking that Arkansas will suffer if A&M is added to the SEC. Well, they're wrong.

Catfish Joe

Quote from: rogers-hog on September 10, 2011, 01:08:32 am
i agree,  until we are able to recruit with UF,UA, and LSU they are not going to be fighting us for our recruits in TX they are gonna be fighting whorns and boomers for theirs.

You hit the nail on the head. Its Oklahoma that we need to work on weeding out of Texas. If they break conf. with Tex and go to the Pac12 we should see a major improvement.

-John Heisman-

PorkerOinker

September 10, 2011, 01:11:55 am #39 Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:14:48 am by PorkerOinker
The Big 12 is currently in talks with BYU and Boise St. about joining. These talks seem to be going really well, UT and OU will have to give up some more revenue, but it will not be equal share (which will still be the demise of that conference) Texas A&M will be in the SEC by this time next week if not sooner. The SEC will go with an unbalanced schedule next year playing with only 13 teams and will move to at least 14 teams in 2013 if not 16. Florida St. will be the 14th team with WVU and possibly Clemson or NC State being the 15th and 16th. Like Douglas said next week will be an exciting week in college football.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Tesslahog08

I rather take the recruits that bp signs(which are 3 to 4 star athletetes) that we sign now than have to play the aggies in an unbalanced schedule next year. Btw that means we drop kentucky or tennessee and play a&m. Lose/ lose

Doug

Boise is not changing conferences. You're a bit off base with revs and SEC expansion order. :)
--Doug

Catfish Joe

Quote from: Tesslahog08 on September 10, 2011, 01:15:03 am
I rather take the recruits that bp signs(which are 3 to 4 star athletetes) that we sign now than have to play the aggies in an unbalanced schedule next year. Btw that means we drop kentucky or tennessee and play a&m. Lose/ lose

We play TAMU already anyway, so there isn't a change for us.

-John Heisman-

Tesslahog08

Quote from: Catfish Joe on September 10, 2011, 01:17:39 am
We play TAMU already anyway, so there isn't a change for us.

This may all work out. I should be more possitive I suppose. But still I hate to mess with what's working for Arkansas. The conference is difficult in the west, and we want to add the aggies to the conference.  The thinking of adding the aggies as an occ was to open up recruiting in Texas. Now we are opening that up to the rest of the sec. That's a loss for Arkansas. We are adding a good team that could knock us off next year leading up to a championship. What if the sec west have to play 9 conference games next year that's extremely unfair. There's a lot more negative than positive in adding Texas a and m to the sec.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: deucea729 on September 10, 2011, 12:20:15 am

As long as we're guessing, I'm guessing Boise State figures in any earth shattering, conference realignment news too.  If they join the Big 12, I hope they beat Texas every year from now on.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Doug

Let me reiterate:  Boise is not a viable candidate at this time.

I'll double check with my BSU connection, but I believe they're not moving.
--Doug

tigerinhogtown

Big 12 & ACC merge kicking out Baylor & Miami, while FSU & Clemson head to the SEC

redeye

Quote from: Tesslahog08 on September 10, 2011, 01:32:56 am
This may all work out. I should be more possitive I suppose. But still I hate to mess with what's working for Arkansas. The conference is difficult in the west, and we want to add the aggies to the conference.  The thinking of adding the aggies as an occ was to open up recruiting in Texas. Now we are opening that up to the rest of the sec. That's a loss for Arkansas. We are adding a good team that could knock us off next year leading up to a championship. What if the sec west have to play 9 conference games next year that's extremely unfair. There's a lot more negative than positive in adding Texas a and m to the sec.

We're 40-24-3 all-time against A&M. Our record against Ole Miss is only 30-26-1. I'm not worried about having to play A&M. They may become a better team in the SEC, but they may not. It's almost ironic that it worries you, because Big 12 fans are claiming that A&M will finish at the bottom of the division each year. Personally, I think A&M is consistently over-rated and that they probably worry you more than they should.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to mess with something that's working by adding new teams. Although I disagree with some of your arguments, I hate the idea of adding more teams also. No conference should have more than 12 teams, imo.

But as far as recruiting goes, I think there's a lot more positives than negatives by adding A&M. Look at it this way: by adding A&M, the SEC is adding one of the best recruiting territories in the nation. Even if you were right about other SEC schools being able to out-recruit us in Texas, that also means more players for us that they won't be recruiting in their home and neighboring states. If Alabama and Auburn sign more Texas players, then we have a better shot at signing more players from Alabama.

You could argue that Alabama will gain more than we will, if they receive first pick, but honestly; how much better can Alabama, Florida, Auburn and LSU recruit than they do right now? In other words, we have more potential for improvement then they do and adding more players to choose from is only going to help.

tahlahog

I read all this and the the only thing I can think of is I have never caught a fish with a Big O. :puke: :puke:

code red

Yada yada....if BYU can get a commitment from Oklahoma then they are coming to the Big 12.  But it ain't gonna happen.....what elite program would commit to the Big 12....this stuff is worth nothing IMO.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou